Options

Replies

• memery7
    memery7 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    AB0215 wrote: »
    Question of the Week:

What is your favorite healthy swap?

I like to use cottage cheese instead of ricotta when I make lasagna.

I love cottage cheese, which I've been told is weird.

I love cottage cheese, too. My dad was a milkman and there was always a giant size container in the frig when I was way younger.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Yeah wow, cottage cheese is yum.. Roll some up in a bit of sliced leg ham.. hmmm
  • jenngitch
    jenngitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Jenngitch
    Week 3
    PW- 183.3
    CW-184

I forgot to post this yesterday!! Again not surprised at the increase. I have really been struggling the last few weeks
  • AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    Options
    Fyreside wrote: »
    Healthy swap.

I made the switch years ago from ground beef to ground turkey. No difference in taste and way healthier.

Is there really no difference in taste? Actually I'm really curious in general, what makes it healthier?

I really can tell the difference in taste, but it depends on what you're doing with it I think. If you're using ground turkey in like "hamburger helper" or something like that, then you won't notice it like you would if you were eating a hamburger...
    I also think that "healthier" is a pretty broad term. It's a lot lower in calories because it's lower in fat. I don't know how they've portrayed fat in your neck of the woods, but here they've taught us that "fat is bad" when it's really not. So I think that's why it's deemed "healthier." Now if you're just trying to reduce calories, then yes, it's a great swap, but if you're doing something like Keto where you're eating more fat, then you won't want to swap turkey for beef because beef has a higher fat content and will fit better into your macros.
  • AB0215
    Options
    Healthy swap.

I made the switch years ago from ground beef to ground turkey. No difference in taste and way healthier.

I think that's a great low calorie swap!! And tasty, but then again I love turkey...like so much that I like literally start getting excited about Thanksgiving in September...
  • AB0215
    Options
    jenngitch wrote: »
    Jenngitch
    Week 3
    PW- 183.3
    CW-184

I forgot to post this yesterday!! Again not surprised at the increase. I have really been struggling the last few weeks

Hang in there, if this were easy, everyone would do it!! You just have to find your groove and once you find it, it will get easier for you!!
  • AB0215
    Options
    gemwolf110 wrote: »
    Saturday:

Got my workout in and reached all of my Fitbit goals :-)

You are a machine!! Awesome day!!
  • gjaholy33
    gjaholy33 Posts: 2,626 Member
    Options
    Gjaholy33
    Weigh in day Saturday
    Week March Week 3
    PW: 444.5lbs
    CW: 443.2lbs

No where my goals but at least it isn't a gain.

@AB0215 I'm looking for an outside Aquatherapy now. Because YOU'RE RIGHT I have less pain in the water.
  • JJKM02
    JJKM02 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Daily post for Sat
    Track yes for the most part
    Calories under, but barely
    Exercise mope...lots of time at the rink and working on report cards
    Water only about 60 oz

• missemmibelle
    missemmibelle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Friday and Saturday Check-In

Track: Yes
    Calories: Under
    Exercise: Yes (Deep-Cleaning Fri, Yard Work Sat)
    Water: 70oz Fri, 96oz Sat

• AB0215
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Daily Post (Saturday)

Track: Yes
    Calories: Yes, way under, probably because I only ate once today.
    Exercise: Nope, well, no workout, planned rest day.
    Water Intake: 99 oz

Day/Goals: Today was a rest day, took my niece Easter Egg Hunting at my brother's work. I'm really excited about this actually, they asked him to be the easter bunny and he was. My mom took a picture of me again this easter (this time with my niece and my brother, the easter bunny) and I actually liked the way I looked. I look a lot thinner and I compared it to last year's pic and it's like unreal. I'm really encouraged by that. My advice: take pictures. You won't believe it. You just won't.
    26o7j5cce0qi.jpg
    Side Note: This picture really cracks me up. This captures my niece's personality and my "little" brother is the Easter bunny...
    Side Note 2: She is 3 and already half my height.
  • Fyreside
    Options
    AB0215 wrote: »
    Healthy swap.

Is there really no difference in taste? Actually I'm really curious in general, what makes it healthier?

I really can tell the difference in taste, but it depends on what you're doing with it I think. If you're using ground turkey in like "hamburger helper" or something like that, then you won't notice it like you would if you were eating a hamburger...
    I also think that "healthier" is a pretty broad term. It's a lot lower in calories because it's lower in fat. I don't know how they've portrayed fat in your neck of the woods, but here they've taught us that "fat is bad" when it's really not. So I think that's why it's deemed "healthier." Now if you're just trying to reduce calories, then yes, it's a great swap, but if you're doing something like Keto where you're eating more fat, then you won't want to swap turkey for beef because beef has a higher fat content and will fit better into your macros.

Ahh ok cool, that makes sense. I've only ever had turkey in a sliced lunchmeat or carved from a roast. But I eat a lot of beef mince. And specifically eat a lower grade of it to get more fat. Thanks for the info, I'm going to find some ground turkey just to see what it's like.

Since Sunday is my allocated rest day for the week, I'm just going to do my daily post now as I often forget to do it Sundy eve.

Daily Post (Sunday)
    Day/Goals:Rest day, going to a BBQ. (No shrimps will be thrown on it!).
    Track: Yes.
    Calories: Yes.
    Exercise: Not impossible, but unlikely.
    Water Intake: Definitely.
  • AB0215
    edited March 2018
    Options

Ahh ok cool, that makes sense. I've only ever had turkey in a sliced lunchmeat or carved from a roast. But I eat a lot of beef mince. And specifically eat a lower grade of it to get more fat. Thanks for the info, I'm going to find some ground turkey just to see what it's like.

If you like turkey, I think you will like it. I think it tastes great, but I love turkey, and well beef, and chicken...and meat really, okay-food in general. I love food. I'm generally not picky.

On another note, there are 2 kinds of ground turkey, there's dark meat and white meat. Personally I'm partial to the taste of white meat over the dark meat, but the dark meat does have a bit more fat in it than the white meat...and the dark meat version is usually cheaper at grocery stores--at least near me anyway.
  • AB0215
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Day/Goals:Rest day, going to a BBQ. (No shrimps will be thrown on it!).

:'(
  • memery7
    memery7 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Daily Post Saturday
    Tracking Yes
    Calories Yes Under
    Exercise Yes cleaning walls
    Water Not enough
  • Fyreside
    Options
    @AB0215 Cool, thanks for the info, next time I go shopping I will see what I can find. I like the idea of this recipe. https://theketocookbook.com/keto-recipes/turkey-burgers/ I've never really looked for it, so maybe it's been there all along. But I must say I can't recall ever seeing ground turkey at the store.

LoL about BBQ. Fun fact. Aussies don't even use the word shrimp, we call them prawns. We also don't drink Fosters lol.. We actually send it away so we can keep all the good beer to ourselves. :blush: The kids do ride kangaroo's to school tho.. That one is definitely true.
  • danzibob2016
    danzibob2016 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Username: Danzibob2016
    Weigh in week: Week 4
    Weigh in day: Sunday
    Previous Weight: 175
    Current Weight: 174
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Message for all team members:
    @AB0215.
    @gjaholy33.
    @danzibob2016.
    @missemmibelle.
    @rlaratte.
    @elisabel.
    @IanMoone30.
    @jennfalzon1979.
    @memery7.
    @mjohemme.
    @crazedknight.
    @99hockeymom.
    @jmacaroni.
    @tinak33.
    @143tobe.
    @jenngitch.
    @JJKM02.
    @mebelfanti.
    @mexiconona.
    @ssssanaaaa.
    @WinkyElf.
    @carlsoda.
    @CourtneyLomonaco.
    @DanishFeta.
    @Fyreside.
    @gemwolf110.
    @kaitling2017.

This is the last week of the March Challenge. After this week, all members will be rolled over automatically into the April challenge.

The March challenge thread is:
    TEAM: THE SLIMSONS (April) ( http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10653910/team-the-slimsons-april#latest )
    If you wish not to participate next month, please message the team captain or myself ( @craigo3154. )

Please view your team thread and post a brief introduction so others in the team can know who you are.

When viewing the thread, please "bookmark" the thread by pressing the "star" icon (it should turn yellow).
    3cu4npy62hfa.png

This way you can be notified whenever someone posts to the thread (your "bell" icon on most forum headers will show if there are any notifications).
    yop2unsw1ph1.png
  • AB0215
    Options
    @AB0215 Cool, thanks for the info, next time I go shopping I will see what I can find. I like the idea of this recipe. https://theketocookbook.com/keto-recipes/turkey-burgers/ I've never really looked for it, so maybe it's been there all along. But I must say I can't recall ever seeing ground turkey at the store.

LoL about BBQ. Fun fact. Aussies don't even use the word shrimp, we call them prawns. We also don't drink Fosters lol.. We actually send it away so we can keep all the good beer to ourselves. :blush: The kids do ride kangaroo's to school tho.. That one is definitely true.

There's also ground chicken too...I once bought that to make pizza crust, never got around to trying that, but it's there. lol.

I've never put shrimp (or prawns lol) on the BBQ (or Barbie) but it sounds like a total pain, but oddly delicious, and I'm genuinely sad you don't throw them on there. lol. and you're never short on fun facts. I've always liked the idea of visiting Australia, although I don't like to travel, I always thought that would be a fun place to visit.

Side note---how do you park your kangaroo at school? Just wondering. I can't imagine he sits there waiting...
  • AB0215
    Options
    Welcome to Sunday and Week 4 Slimsons!!

Let's finish march strong!!

r8fsvho965a4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.