mtaratoot Posts: 13,332 Member
    Options
    Big shadow.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Big shadow.

It’s a 2013 750cc. Lots of power for me.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,961 Member
    Options
    Great pictures!! Thanks for sharing!!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    Great pictures!! Thanks for sharing!!

You're welcome. Found out after (through a local connection) that state park had been closed for a few years and only recently reopened. It was a shame they closed it. Very pretty area. We're looking forward to exploring that and the several other options around here. We here Sabino Canyon and Madeira Canyon are wonderful too, among other places. Hope to post a lot more in the future as we explore.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Such a pretty boat! You don't need sun to go paddling. Your boat is already loaded, and your PFD is in back. I say just get dressed in your appropriate exposure protection and go have some fun.

Seriously. It's a very nice looking boat. I really like the inlay down below water line. The boat I'm taking on my next trip doesn't exactly fit easily on the top of my (far from new) pickup. I've only had the truck since September 1997 (it was assembled in April that year, so it's now 22 years old). The raft is actually newer than the truck being built in late 2000.

dudzo4uh31eg.jpg
  • Farback
    Options
    Thanks! And I agree, with the gear on board, I plan to take any opportunity to get on the water.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Very nice looking truck, Kirk! The boat sits nicely on the rack. You have to get up onto the tailgate to load it?
  • Farback
    Options
    Thanks Wayne. I’m really happy with the whole set up. I can load it from the ground no problem with the rear sliding pads. Got all the paddles, safety gear, wet-ware, gym gear, and fire response gear all in the back seats. This rig makes me ready for all my age inapproprite behaviour.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Yeah. You shouldn't be responding to fires ;)

Paddling is appropriate for almost any age. A founder of one of our local kayak clubs turns 90 this spring. He doesn't paddle Class IV anymore, but he still gets out. He's mostly an open canoe or whitewater kayak paddler as far as I can tell. If I keep rowing a raft anywhere near that long, I will probably need a new raft some time. I secretly want a couple other rafts/cats. It would be nice to have a 12-14 foot raft that I could run as a paddle raft, and it would be super fun to have a very small cat or raft so I could row day trips in something a little more exciting than a gear boat.
  • Farback
    Options
    I did some rafting on the Nantahalla in Tennessee on one of my trips south years ago. Really enjoyed it. We only have a couple river operations here that rafts the tidal bore, the incoming tidal wave phenomina. I tried to set up a trip for a guys thing before my sons wedding years ago, but couldnt pull it off due to timing logistics.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Yeah, you are far enough north that the tidal bores can really give you a LONG ride. I buddy who used to live in Alaska showed me a video of doing it up there. They had a power boat along to do video and serve as rescue should it have been needed.

Tides can also make some really neat STANDING waves. There's one over across the continent from you in BC called Skookumchuck. At slack tide (high or low), it's flat. As the tide picks up, a small wave forms. It's small enough for beginners. Then as the current picks up, it can get HUGE. I'd love to check it out some time. Oddly, my dive club usually does a dive trip up there to Porpoise Bay every March. I would hate to drive that far and NOT get out on that wave, but.... it's a dive trip. When it's REALLY big, you allegedly have to make sure to get back in the eddy right away or you "take the ride." It may be hours before you get back. And if you swim..... Just don't. There's lots of videos out there. I read in Paddler Magazine years ago about a whitewater paddler that was out there in a sea kayak surfing up a storm when it was big, but like glass with a tiny foam pile on top. His friends jokingly yelled for him to try a 360. He later said he thought there was no way he would pull it off... then it just happened. The magazine published a few grainy pictures.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Wow! Such great pictures everyone! All the adventures look amazing.
    @Farback - great looking boat!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    My outdoor activity yesterday involved a 50 mile bike ride on the Greenway to a neighboring town for a donut. We stopped on the way back for a beer.

Love all the photos, hoping I'll get some good ones soon!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    A couple folks sent pictures of MY boat and the Garbage Bag Salad. That was really odd.

wh1l3jw9rg4g.jpg

d6aflhu3noet.jpg

2wkz5xp35b31.jpg

8n95ud1br9nf.jpg

obbamrmv9sq3.jpg

za5tcmv836wb.jpg

4cfpegrjgib0.jpg

45a19ec136wt.jpg
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Garbage bag salad? Bwahahaahaaa!! That's cool!!