Pictures from outdoor exercise.

Options

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Some ice in my glass.z48ao0q5t3xp.jpg

Sometimes the fish fight back. Those scratches are the entry point for the dreaded "steelhead fever".v2097aew1vzm.jpg
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,053 Member
    Options
    Another funny thing happened today. Went to the big box electronics store where I bought my Fitbit to see about a replacement. Guy I talked to said that a lot of the HR3s were having issues with the display going black just like mine had, but since I was past the return with no questions date (30 days? 60 days? I didn't ask) I'd have to deal with Fitbit's customer service directly. :(

So I call the number the guy had given me, expecting the hurry up and wait game to start, but was answered quickly and by a guy with pretty good english (slight British accent maybe with just a hint of Hindi). Went through the normal handshake routine; name, phone number, what's the issue, repeats it all back to me, yes, good, OK, does green light on bottom work, yes, does it vibrate when I hit the button, yes, Ok, let's try a hard reset. OK, plug it into the charger and hold the button until the smiley face appears, 10 seconds or so... OK, sure, why not....

WHOA!!! The smiley face came one, and now I can see the display,... wait, there's a couple of pixels in the upper left that look out of place, OK, do the hard reset again, OK, why not. Yup, smiley is back and...

Yup, that did it. Display looks like it should. No need for a replacement at all. :D

Weird. Guess the pressure of the water at 90 ft caused the touch/display screen to hiccup. Still not sure what the deal was with the sync issue for a week but doesn't look like it was caused by water leaking into it. All of our phones were acting up strangely requiring us to restart them almost daily to reset some issue. Who knows? Just glad the Fitbit is working apparantly no worse for the wear of seventeen dives as deep as 90ish ft.

B)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I've been having to reset my phone pretty regularly too. I thought is was just me.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Great dive pics. I’m off to Jamaica in a week. If I throw off this head cold I plan to do two dives a day. Otherwise, the rum stocks will take a big hit.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    May I join? This looks like a fun forum! Love all the great pictures.
    I am well over 50 and most of my fitness activity is done outdoors.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,165 Member
    Options
    sdereski wrote: »

Of course and welcome!!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options

Looks like you already did! Welcome! I can't wait to see your activities.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,053 Member
    Options

But of course! Looking forward to seeing your outdoor activities.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    This message is just to whet your appetite. Looks like I get to float the Middle Fork Salmon River in Idaho in June. I will probably take some pictures.

Today we're off to the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum. The only exercise will be walking around -- we are NOT going to the water park.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options

Welcome, sdereski. Always enjoyed your outdoor photos in the 40+ club thread. They will be appreciated here, as well!

• mtaratoot
    Options
    The museum was amazing. Most of it was inside, but the walls are mostly glass, so there was lots of natural light. We did walk around outside part of the time and saw some planes that are probably going to be restored for display at some point, and we saw this gem out front:

y11ojl6fk4tm.jpg

The air museum was pretty cool. They had a replica of a Wright Flyer. They had a lot of very old engines, early aircraft like the Curtis Robin below:

6dxvt3ufh2tz.jpg

They had home-built and other experimental aircraft. They had a replica and a scale model of the Spirit of St. Louis. They had a large variety of military aircraft from the USA, USSR, Spain, Germany, and others. Some are parked outside with the information kiosk inside. The big thing in the background? That's the Spruce Goose. It's the giant flying boat that was built by Howard Hughes. It flew once for one mile at 70'. It's so big there's really no way to get a picture of it.

jieczsoel7uz.jpg

The Spruce Goose is actually made from birch, not spruce. Who knew? I did get a picture from inside looking back at the back half of the fuselage.

cozmktljqud6.jpg

There were helicopters, amphibious planes, an odd plane that had two engines, one front and one rear, and it had a propeller on each end. One pushed while the other pulled. They had some really odd emergency instructions on one plane.

0c5b7kkzrwf4.jpg
    0cphsrubsok4.jpg

As interesting as all this was, it wasn't until I got to the space museum building that my jaw hung open for the rest of the day. I was surprised when they made an announcement that the museum was closing. I didn't get finished the space building; I will have to go back!
  • mtaratoot
    edited March 2019
    Options
    The space museum was really awesome to me. When I grew up, my family went to Huntsville, Alabama pretty often. I went to that Space and Rocket museum during my formative years. Now, 40 years later, we've come even farther with space, and I have a different perspective on history and all that. It was amazing learning about the early science into getting to space and everything else.

The museum is roughly a timeline, but it's hard to follow completely. As you go in the timeline, there are three parallel tracks. One is NASA, one is USSR, and one is military rockets and missiles. They have an actual Gemini capsule on display. It's behind acrylic, so you can look inside to see the controls.

not0ptrjaceu.jpg
    st6g9xg26nup.jpg

And they have an Apollo command module. Quite amazing. I remember seeing one of those you could climb up stairs and look inside at the Fernbank Science Center in Atlanta, and it was also really neat to see it hanging from a helicopter with all the stains from where the ablation shielding melted off during reentry.

5kmpp4zuguiy.jpg
    db8nkkcd9dnb.jpg

They have a Titan missile on loan from the military. On loan. Ha. It's the sole remaining Titan missile on display in the world, and one of only a handful left in existence. On loan. Ha. I bet they're going to want that back soon.... There's a stairwell going down into the bottom replicating a part of the silo. There's a control room with age-appropriate computer hardware, and there's a simulated launch sequence. The historic launch is on a video screen.

xdui9f081gwy.jpg

They even have a section of the Berlin Wall.

kv0j4wgnadej.jpg

They have a control module from a Saturn V rocket as well as a J-2 engine. They have lots of engines. If you think the wiring harnesses in a car are confusing, go look at a Saturn V control module. I couldn't get a good picture.

They had all sorts of rocket engines and some replicas of others. They have a copy of Sputnik. They have a Soviet capsule similar to the one that took Yuri Gagarin to orbit. There were "artifacts" of all sorts. Various tools, uniforms, food packs, and space suits that had been to space and back. They have a little rock that came from the moon, but people didn't bring it back. It was found here on Earth. It was thrown off the moon from a meteor impact. Its glued into a place you can touch. I wasn't going to touch it because of all the germs. I've been vaccinated, but not against the common cold, and I know there's a flu going around that folks who had their flu shot can get floored by. But.... I couldn't help myself and eventually touched the moon with my own finger. Freakin' awesome.

Yeah. I will be going back. If I go back before the end of the month, I get in free.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,165 Member
    Options
    The Canadian National Aviation Museum is in Ottawa and I had the dubious distinction of having been up in one of the aircraft which is part of their collection. Yes, I've been Goosed...

https://ingeniumcanada.org/aviation/collection-research/artifact-grumman-g-21a-goose-ii.php
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    They had a Goose in this museum, too! I'm not talking about the Spruce Goose. It was your amphibious airplane. How fun is that?
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    One thing I was thinking about relative to the space museum was that I found in interesting was how close we are in time to the artifacts. Much of what is on display at the museum is from my own lifetime. That's a little unusual for my personal experience with museums. Back in the days when I would go to the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, it wasn't a museum per se. It was all current. More of an exposition. Just odd to feel like I'm becoming an antique person as parts of my life are now in museums. Even if I didn't fly 'em.

The Saturn V rocket has always been, and always will be, my favorite launch platform. Oh, how I wish I could have been close to one when it launched. The control module they had on display touched me as did so many other things they had there. Really a good museum. Check it out if you have a spare day while you're visiting the wine country of the Willamette Valley. Give yourself the whole day. The wine will taste even better.