Pictures from outdoor exercise.

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    Took advantage of some cold weather and new snow to get in another day at Hoodoo. We're about to get a big DUMP, so I'm planning to take Thursday off to go back.

The resort is closed Tuesday and Wednesday, so it should be piles of fresh snow, and the forecast is not to be above freezing for the foreseeable future. I will probably go again Sunday?

13ituowy8hvy.gif

No pictures for my Monday activity. Diving the aquarium again. It was COLD. The water was 45 degrees, I was wearing thinner undergarments, and the work I was doing was not very energetic. We quit after 51 minutes even though we had enough air left for another 20.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,165 Member
    Options
    Ottawa just got another big dump of snow. At this point, the pile in my front yard is over 7' high... sigh...

I took this pic this morning as I got up... I'm glad I reinforced the structure of the garage shortly after I bought this place a couple of years ago. The house & garage are both vintage 1961 so decent bones but the garage's roof wasn't very solid. It was wobbly enough that I didn't want to reshingle for fear that the weight of a pallet of shingles would collapse it. I went through and reinforced it so it's much, much better.

0arvdep5tnf6.png
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    My new bike came in last week and I finally got to take it for a short ride yesterday.
    There are several of those sculptures along the Razorback Greenway throughout the area.

A sculpture with a built-in bike pump. Now that is AWESOME. Enjoy the new ride!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    My new bike came in last week and I finally got to take it for a short ride yesterday.
    <beautiful bike photos snipped for length>

There are several of those sculptures along the Razorback Greenway throughout the area.

Gotta say, the photo popped up initially on my screen with just the top of the (cool) sculpture showing before I scrolled, and I kinda panicked a little about your red chaos-bike! ;)

But the actual new bike is a beauty, and that's a great spot for a photo!

(I'd still need a ski-bike here . . . ;) ).
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,165 Member
    Options
    I decided since it was such a nice day, I would tackle that big pile of drifted snow on my garage's roof. While the roof is solid, I thought to myself "What if we get another big dump of snow?"

z5ivgj8spfgd.png

It took just over two hours... and I was working in a t-shirt with light sweater because it was above freezing...

gm71xtqaiaix.png
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    OK, this is just a warning:
    I am going to take the day off tomorrow and go back because the resort was closed two days, we got nearly a food o' snow, and our local star Sol is predicted to be visible!

There will likely be more pictures of this same place again tomorrow or the next day.

I warned you....
  • mtaratoot
    edited February 2019
    Options
    You knew it was going to happen....

I gave a buddy a ride up to the mountain today for $25 all-day lift tickets. He still rides lace-up leather boots and old-school skinny touring/telemark skis. He had a great time. We'll both feel it tomorrow....

Feel free to take a peek if you aren't too bored of the snow yet.
    The resort is closed Tuesday and Wednesday, and some good new snow piled up:
    ni8zuw1yjjul.jpg

A run on the back side called Crater, and another one called Face, are pretty steep:
    pdgkdnuey1wt.jpg

m8ifuggwsad4.jpg

t59bpwzrq4rq.jpg

rwnxwa8a2esu.jpg

syjepav7sdlj.jpg

The skis I ride are actually alpine (downhill) skis that a buddy (who sold them to me) put tele bindings on. They are a lot of ski:
    jzmg9cu9e8wj.jpg

Riding the lift with my pal that came up with me.
    8rgti3qpzerc.jpg

I would attach a little video of my buddy working on his telemark turns, but the file format isn't allowed. Maybe if I stick it on Youtube I will provide a link. He hasn't been out much in the last several years. Good on him!
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,053 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Arrived at Cozumel today. 159 active minutes between all the airport jogging and one dive under my belt right after we arrived. So worth the travel hassle.
    x3lg4x76bczp.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    That is beautiful. Kick back, relax, enjoy the warm air, and then tomorrow get busy inspecting the world below the surface.

Out here it's cold and raining. I played a round of disc golf, and now I have to wash the mud off my discs and launder my towel.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I shouldn't have gone. Yeah, I got in nine runs, so that's good. There was LOTS of snow. That's also good. But the snow was really wet & heavy, and the rest of the day was a bit of a disaster. At least I didn't crash the truck or get crashed into.

I was a little slow leaving the house in the morning. No problem; let the traffic clear. It was predicted to be a snowy road even down to relatively low elevation. And it was raining in the valley. It had been raining quite a bit, and there was water flowing over the road along one of the shortcuts I take. It wasn't moving fast, and it was just a couple inches. My truck is heavy enough to go through something like that, and in my past I've driven through deeper water. Older and wiser, I backtracked. Oh well. Just a ten minute or so delay.

It's about 90 miles to get there. Over half of that is up a narrow winding highway without guardrails. It's actually the longest highway in the USA -- coast to coast from Oregon to Massachusetts. But it's a goat path going through the Cascade Mountains. Even before I got to the bottom of the canyon, there was snow on the road. The snow was region-wide, and the plows probably weren't going to be able to keep up. At one of the first sharp turns still less than 600 feet elevation, a sedan was in the ditch. A 4WD pickup was parked behind it. I pulled a bit past it, hopefully out of the way of other folks sliding, and got out to see if they needed any help. Tow truck was already on the way. The pickup was on the way to the same resort as I was. I almost turned around right there; the snow was VERY slick even with my good snow tires and 4WD. I expected it would get grippier as we got to higher elevations, but that transition zone might be a LONG one as the road doesn't climb right away. Plow came by. I went on up, but with another significant delay.

There was almost no traffic. I took it slow, and the snow got grippier. I was only going to be an hour late to meet my buddy. But then traffic stopped. Probably someone in the ditch or spun-out and blocking the road. Easy fix and I'm within two miles of the resort. So I sit and wait.

And wait.

And wait.

vpsigpsfzzdy.jpg
    mbnlst57i7tw.jpg

A few folks drove by on the way down; one said there was an avalanche that covered the road, and they were working to get it open. A trooper came by and said it would be a while; they had to wait for a blower. I made a time limit that I would just turn around. But as that time approached, we could see the equipment working. Trooper came back by and told us we'd be moving really soon. But we didn't. Another trooper came by; I asked him what's up? He said they DID get it cleared, but it slid again. The equipment was still on site, but they had to go cleaer it again. So after sitting there for 2.5 hours, we started moving.

I got to the resort two hours before the lifts close -- not long before I normally am heading HOME to beat the traffic and the dark. If I hadn't been stopped by the flooded road, if I hadn't stopped to help out those folks in the ditch, or if I had left my house ten minutes earlier, I would have been on the mountain before the heavy snow got all tracked. There were places with DEEP snow, but it was too flat to be able to ski in. Places on the back side that still had deep snow also had giant wind ridges that were hard to ski. And the light was really flat because it was snowing hard all day. Heavy, WET snow. I was drenched after the first run. Waterproof breathable layers for sure, but... so wet. Goretex gloves totally soaked. Nasty day. The lift attendant did let me sneak in one last run two minutes after it was supposed to close.

One thing, though -- the snow was DEEP. That part was nice. The few places I could ski in it, it felt nice. Charlie's Backside was closed for avalanche hazard. Same with Hundred Acres.

2ko7416fb5zn.jpg

The drive home was SLOW.

I probably should have just stayed home. Or left earlier. Of course if I had waited for today, I wouldn't have gone either. Another avalanche has closed the pass in both directions, and the resort is closed. I will take off Thursday when they reopen and go grab some of the new snow that fell last night and today. Maybe the sun will even be out. My gloves should be dry by then....

And when I got home and called the jury hotline, I found out I didn't have to report.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    My Fitbit Charge HR 3 which is advertised as water resistant to 50 meters (150 ft) is not happy with me.

Did a shallow checkout dive the day I arrived in Cosumel with no issues. Recorded heatrate etc. I do wear a neoprene wrist brace over the tracker to protect it from knocks and transient high pressures from swimming. Then Monday did two dives; the first to 80 ft and the second at 40 ft, again it recorded heartrate etc. with no issues.

Some time over night the display died, but the tracker is still funtioning and syncing with my phone so OK, I can live without the display. Did four more dives on Monday. 90 ft, 40ft, and then a twilight dive at 80 ft and a 50 ft night dive. With the exception on the screen, the tracker did its job.

Then again some time over night, in the wee hours of morning, it decides to stop syncing with my phone. I can tell the tracker still has some life in it. Green laser that measures your pulse is active and when you press the touch sensitive "button" it gives the vibration response to show it registered the touch. But other that the seven steps I took some time in the early morning hours, its not giving me anything.

Nuts!
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Finished our last two dives yesterday morning and then went into town last night and painted the town a light pink. Lot of walking from bar to bar. Then stopped in a restaurant a bit off the beaten path for supper before wondering back to the resort around 11 pm.

Flight leaves for the states at 2:30pm local time today. Will need to get everything packed up after breakfast and then do some more swinging exercises until the taxi arrives.

06ou4jtilj7n.jpg
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Funny thing happened after the first leg of my flight back to the states. Arrived in Atlanta, made it through customs and still had time to get something to eat before starting my second leg. Logged my meal and noticed I had additional calories due to exercise. What?!?

My Fitbit linked once I had turned airplane mode off. Linked and downloaded ALL the info it had accumulated over the last week as I had continued to wear it 24/7 during the rest of the diving. Display is still not functional as of this morning (made it back home before the snows started, yay!) but I can live with that until the roads clear.

Nice ending to a great trip with great friends. (I'm on the far left.)

0hrzbe5d13l1.jpg
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Some photos from last week's fishing trip.

Salmon River canyon east of Riggins, Idaho.
    i1hgu9vavly3.jpg
    aiosd4duxyo1.jpg
    oyjf6tml98t8.jpg