• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,937 Member
    Options
    Gotta love the autumn colours!!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,282 Member
    Options
    Very nice!

On my way home from the aquarium, I went looking for chanterelles, and I found some.

pl73gav4ir1x.png

• BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Love all these pics :)
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @Just_Ceci -- is that North Carolina?
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @Just_Ceci -- is that North Carolina?

Buffalo River area in Arkansas.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    It's lovely! Fall colors and amazing rocks. Looks like maybe there's fire there, or maybe that's fog and not smoke.

We'll get to go wander around the forest this weekend with North American Truffling Society looking for all sorts of fungi.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    It was hazy that day.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    We had a nice time tromping around the forest looking for mushrooms. Most of the foray was in the lower elevations where there was an inversion and frost most of the day. We still found a variety of genera and species. Later in the day I headed up to higher elevation to get out of the frost zone to see if I could find some chanterelles; I did. I brought them back to cook up for the Saturday potluck.

Here's some images from the ID table:

The two specimens on the left are truffles (white and black). In the center is the ONLY lobster mushroom anyone in the group found.
    bmaafg2nq7bh.jpg

The two mushrooms on the right look a little like chanterelles. They are not. They are scaly chanterelles or woolly chanterelles. They used go by Gomphus floccosis, but they've changed the name once or twice in the last years, and I forget what they're called now. They used to be considered close relatives of pig's ears, but now they are considered a little more distant. The gray caps with reddish stipes are boletes. We didn't ID to species.
    m0482etptq0h.jpg

Above the paper is a coral mushroom. On the top left of the paper are some spirals. They are not mushrooms. They look like plastic that came out of a signpost when it was drilled.
    dizc5d97gj6n.jpg

We found a lot of Suillus (slippery jacks). Also several honey mushrooms (Armelaria)
    bsisxo17mt6c.jpg

We found shrimp Russula, Gomphidius, Coprinus (shaggy mane), puffballs and oysters mushroom (Pleurotus).
    8hgflf2msc0w.jpg

There were some that we left unidentified. The large conch on the left is a Ganoderma oregonense, also known as west coast Reishi. I found this on a rotten stump about 2000 feet (750 meters) elevation. I ended up giving it to a woman who was going to process it into medicine.
    egm0c4a8w1zd.jpg

And of course, our group did find just a few chanterelles. After lunch, I went up past where the foray was scheduled to go, and a few folks followed me to the first stop. I went on a few miles farther, and I found a couple nice patches that we could enjoy with all that other food... 4xtytjml8g4j.jpg
    9xie6hc60rx4.jpg

...and no, I didn't get any pictures of the potluck spread. I was too busy putting calories into my face. Some of the dishes we had included matzatake with mozzarella and tortalini, bolete with cream sauce over rice, baked oyster mushroom, dry saute chanterelle, chanterelle biscuits, shells with chanterelles, angel hair with dried morels, saute honey mushrooms, mushroom pastys, candy cap liquor, two kinds of candy cap cookies, and... and..... We didn't have the corn smut fungus this year. And there were several things that didn't even HAVE any mushrooms.

The sad news is we didn't find any man on horseback mushrooms. They are delicious, although they have been reclassified as poisonous in recent years. The poisonings were people who ate LARGE quantities over several consecutive days. We didn't find the sparassas (cauliflower mushroom), and we didn't find the large fields of fried chicken mushroom. We only found the ONE lobster.

The good news is it's a really fun group, and we had a great time in the woods and later socializing with each other and eating so much food. But there was SO much, we had more for breakfast and there were still leftovers. Wow.

My scale weight didn't change when I got home. With as much as I ate, I can only suggest that mushroom hunting over logs and up & down hills does burn calories. That's how I can rationalize putting this post into this topic :wink:

One last picture: The whole ID table (well, most of it; there were a few other things that got put down there after I took the picture)....

p8pczt4segdo.jpg

• UncleMac
    Options
    Very cool!!

If you took my knowledge of mushrooms and put it into a thimble, you'd still have enough enough room for your thumb. I like eating the safe ones but other than that... lol
  • mtaratoot
    edited November 2018
    Options
    There's a few mushrooms that are really easy to identify. It's good to just start with those. Know what to look for and what the similar species look like. Morels in the spring is a good example. Hard to find, but if you know the habitat, it is easier. There's just a couple that look like it, and they don't really look like it. Chanterelles are easy to find around here... if you know their habitat. There's a few that look KIND OF like it, but if you pay attention, you can tell easily. At some point, you can tell from 20 yards away without even a close inspection. It's still good to take a good look. And take another good luck when you get home and sort them! Hedgehogs are also easy. It's hard to mistake a Lobster for anything else, but you should at least try to be sure what it's growing on. Boletes are probably the next step; if you avoid any that have red on them or stain blue when bruised, you are highly unlikely to hurt yourself. There are some edible boletes with red on them, but there's some you really want to avoid. The King Bolete is also known as the Porcini and is very delicious. Another name for chanterelle is pfifferling.

I carry some waxed bags to isolate any that I want to bring home to try and positive ID that might not be edible or worse, might be poisonous. Otherwise, nothing I don't know 100% goes in the basket! This is part of the fun in going out with NATS. There's a bunch of mycologists who know WAY more than I do. We all share a love of fungus, and I take advantage of their experience to learn more.

Edit: The first time I fond chanterelles, I was still pretty new at mushroom hunting. I showed my friend what I had collected. They weren't chanterelles. They were scaly chanterelles. I've never made that mistake again; it's SO obvious!
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Wow...been a while since I've been on the forums...love all the pictures on the water, especially. I've been basically housebound with my elderly Mom, but I really need to get my butt back outside (for my own sanity)...and these photos may be just the motivation I need to at least get back to walking more. A bit too chilly up here in VA for me to paddle right now (I'm such a FL wimp), but apparently there has been too much Red Tide in FL for most of my buddies to paddle too (our favorite race of the year was cancelled last week due to the water quality...at least I didn't miss it).
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The driftwood looks like a critter crawling out of the water... lol
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    The driftwood looks like a critter crawling out of the water... lol

I thought the same thing at first, so I wandered down the beach to check it out.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Whoa!! Beautiful!!