Pictures from outdoor exercise.

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,634 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    So much awesome!!

If you had an extra fifteen minutes, you could amuse yourself with the video I put together from or trip.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    So much awesome!!

If you had an extra fifteen minutes, you could amuse yourself with the video I put together from or trip.

Oops. Try this link instead. Sorry!
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is amazing country. Where is this?
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    Wow! That is amazing country. Where is this?

The Wild & Scenic Rogue River in southwest Oregon.
  • Farback
    Options
    So much awesome!!

If you had an extra fifteen minutes, you could amuse yourself with the video I put together from or trip

Mark

Great video! I subscribed. Love the blues soundtrack. There’s some serious paddling skills in your group. Looks like a fantastic trip. I make ocean going kayaks, www.farback.ca, I’d like to get myself a white water play boat. Looks like a lot of fun.

Kirk
  • mtaratoot
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    If you had an extra fifteen minutes, you could amuse yourself with the video I put together from or trip

Mark

Great video! I subscribed. Love the blues soundtrack. There’s some serious paddling skills in your group. Looks like a fantastic trip. I make ocean going kayaks, www.farback.ca, I’d like to get myself a white water play boat. Looks like a lot of fun.

Kirk

I attempted to fix the URL in THIS post so the link above points to the video; I actually took the original down, and the revised one lives at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veWnsASyADM.

It was a GREAT group even though just four of us. I kayak, too. I have a couple sea kayaks, but they don't get much use. One is a Pygmy Arctic Tern 14 that I built from a kit. I have a couple whitewater canoes, and I like getting them out. I also have a few whitewater kayaks, but not as many as I used to. Lately I've really enjoyed rowing the 15-foot raft. So comfy, and I can carry gear for multi-day trips. That second video of Bob surfing is at the Solitude wave; it's a great surf wave. It made me kind of wish I was in a kayak. Bob is one of the few people I know, maybe the only one, who likes kayak surfing more than I do.

I love rivers!

I visited your web page after you posted some pictures of your boat(s) that had some really nice inlay work if I recall.

This image is from a trip earlier in the month. Same river!

dkykb8grusxt.jpg

We get to go back again in October for a PUMPKIN RUN just like last year.

odhnh33w4wvd.jpg

jiejsfee3jnu.jpg
  • Farback
    Options
    I did a raft trip on the Nantahalla river in Tennessee once while in SC for a few weeks on a project (former Michelin guy). Loads of fun.
  • Farback
    Options
    Soundsa. like a great trip.
  • Farback
    Options
    Sounds like a great trip. I can’t wait to get on some Jamaican reefs again. I did a snorkel dive here last week in my 2mm suit, and froze.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,053 Member
    Options
    Preliminary plans for a dive trip to Caymen Brac sometime this winter. [crosses fingers]

Still need a checkout dive in local water to get my new dive computer wet.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I've never done ANY tropical diving. This last trip was pretty warm though -- it was as high as 72 on the surface in the southern islands. At depth it was 58 - 64 in general. I was comfy cozy! I didn't even wear a hood on San Clemente or Catalina. Up here in Oregon we get low 50s or high 40s. That's also about what we have in the aquarium at Newport where I'm a volunteer diver. Having sixty degree (or warmer) water was really nice.

Between a less buoyant drysuit and losing about 24 pounds, I was able to take six pounds of lead off my kit. Last time I was on the boat, I was diving with about 22 pounds. I tried that on the first dive, and was way overweighted. Next dive I took off four pounds, and the next dive I took off two more. I can hardly believe I am down to a ten pound belt and six pounds of releasable weight. Nice!

I was pleased my navigation skills are still adequate. We had one low viz dive over featureless sand. It was a short dive, but I got us right back to the swim step on the back of the boat. Others were surfacing far from the boat.

I actually haven't done any ~real~ diving (outside a box of water in the aquarium) in a couple years. Yeah. I know. I'm motivated to get back in the water locally. There's a number of nice friendly tides coming up in the next couple months (exchanges less than about five feet with slack tide during the daylight hours). I plan to get out and revisit some sites and explore some more that have been on my list. And I hear that the crabs are getting full, so maybe I'll go chase some of those around and have some delicious dungies to give away soon.

I'll post a link to my trip video when I get done with it.

The galley crew made goyotaku with the yellowtail and the halibut. Fun!

giebw63wkn9a.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    The video from our dive trip is now available.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,176 Member
    Options
    I was a little surprised that the Parks department didn't cancel our Ultimate game last night due to unhealthy air. At least the smoke helped keep the temperature down a bit.

We're the yellow team. They call us Lemon Jello. Watch us wiggle. See us jiggle. Half of our team is over 50!

How fun!! What a great name!!
  • Farback
    Options
    Off to Kejimkujic National Park in the morning for a few days of hiking in the back country. I had planned to to do the 30 mile circumnavigation over four nights, starting yesterday, but thunderstorms and rain changed those plans. I’ll stay two nights at site 44, 14 km in from the trailhead on my revised plan. Might get a bit wet on the way in and out, but Friday looks like 100% sunshine for my stay day. I need to be out Saturday since it’s our 40th anniversary, and whatshername expects to see me.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Went through this thread the other day and love all your pictures. I'm on S Ohio right now and there are some really pretty parks here when you get deep inside them. Wish I had more local pics from when I used to do trail running (my body didn't hold up to continue that!).

We're moving to Green Valley next year (S of Tucson) near Mt Wrightson, the largest mountain in AZ. We'll be right next to Madeira Canyon and a national park. I hope to have many more pics then to share. Can't wait to get out of all this rain!!

Really impressive woodworking skills Farback! I hope to get into some woodworking myself in the future. We're moving to a 55 and over active adult community with access to a fantastic woodshop. That's the one hobby I have a strong interest in. My Dad did a ton of woodworking over the years when I was a kid.