April 2018 Challenge

Options

Replies

• stormywxs288
    stormywxs288 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    rae1388 wrote: »
    Does anyone also keep and eye on their % body fat number on their scale along with the weight number?

I'm a bit Obssesive Compulsive (OCD) about weighing daily. My scale is a Tanita and it calculates body fat, hydration, muscle mass, bone density, viseral fat along with several other categories specific to the Tanita scale. I wouldn't go to the bank with any readings I get from my scale but I think they are a good benchmark to measure progress.

This is my 13th week on keto and I've dropped 11.6% from my intial BF%. I've lost 36.4 Lbs. in that same time frame. However, I've lost 2.0 lbs of muscle mass and 0.4 lbs of bone. Like I said these are just Tanita calculations done on my scale based on how fast electrons ping through my body. So, I don't put too much stock in the values but I think they are an indication of change.

It makes sense to me that I may have lost musclle and bone density in a big trade off of weigh and BF%. Also, my weight loss has tappered significantly lately. I'm guessing my muscle mass and bone denisty will pick up with a lower per week weight loss. Anyway, long answer to your question. I do track BF% and other categories on my scale. In fact I'm OCD about it.

• NikkiJRM
    NikkiJRM Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    @rae1388
    I track bf but not as a percentage. I got my body comp scale on 10/10/17 weighed 228.9 was at 45.7% bf (104.6lbs fat). Currently I am 184.4, scale says 37.1% bf (68.2lbs).

In that timeframe I've gone from 124.3lbs lean mass to 116.2lbs. Those 6lbs are a trade off for getting my A1C out of the prediabetic range. It's also something I'm working on everyday. I haven't lost any lean muscle since I started working on it.
  • TiffanyP0714
    TiffanyP0714 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A little late but I’m in
  • rae1388
    rae1388 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been binge watching Dr. Eric Berg videos all afternoon. I felt my weight was stalling and I wanted to know why. These videos are super helpful. If you feel like Keto is slipping away from you or you just want to know more of the "How and Why" of Keto & Insulin, I suggest these videos. I think I had a bit of an Atkins mentality and was possibly consuming too much protein. I'm almost sure I suffer from a slow metabolism and he gives a straight up guide to fixing that, called... wait for it, "How to Fix a Slow Metabolism." I watch or read something every day about eating Keto. It's like my devotional.

@eggfooyamyam I've watched some of his videos and they are very insightful
  • Mehs
    Mehs Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Joining! Im starting tomorrow. Well actually today but not until i go to sleep and reawaken when it will officially be tomorrow for me haha
  • stormywxs288
    Options
    I've been binge watching Dr. Eric Berg videos all afternoon." I watch or read something every day about eating Keto. It's like my devotional.

Dr Berg is a great communicator. Check out Thomas DeLauer for another really smart keto guy with slick videos full of keto science. I also like to watch Keto Connect. They are a keto couple who have been doing keto for a number of years. To me they are relatable and more like real people off the street. Like you I like to watch keto on youtube. It is smart to be informed. Gives me confidence that what we are doing is not just a fad diet scheme but a smart lifestyle choice.
  • Mehs
    Mehs Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ok so since I'm just starting today here is today's weight. I will re-weigh on Sunday for uniformity with the group.
    4/6- 198.7
    Sunday 04/08
    Sunday 04/15
    Sunday 04/22
    Sunday 04/29
  • Djou11
    Djou11 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Just curious, where is everyone located? I'm in Minnesota. :)

NewBrunswick, Canada

@ElizabethAN2017 where abouts in NB I'm originally from Edmundston
  • cbishop7777
    cbishop7777 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Djou11 wrote: »

London Ontario Canada

Nebraska!
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Djou11 wrote: »

NewBrunswick, Canada

@ElizabethAN2017 where abouts in NB I'm originally from Edmundston

Riverview, NB :)
  • rae1388
    rae1388 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My biggest weakness is sweets, especially CHOCOLATE. I stumbled across another recipe that I think I will be eating a lot of. Frozen Chocolate Whips. They are great just chilled like regular whipped cream, or frozen like in the recipe. I had my husband try it and all he kept saying about it was "just one more bite" over and over. HaHa!

Wanted to share the recipe in case there are any other chocoholics out there.
    https://sprinklesomefun.com/frozen-chocolate-whips-low-carb-thm-s/

On a different note, today I have a little extra boost of confidence as my jeans are a little looser today and I keep having to pull them up. It's a little annoying, but totally a good thing. :smiley:
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    @rae1388 I bought a belt, I was so fed up hitching up my jeans, now I keep cutting bits off to make it smaller, so that's progress!
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    @Mehs welcome to April :)
  • eggfooyamyam
    eggfooyamyam Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    @stormywxs288 Thanks, I will definitely check those out!!
  • NikkiJRM
    NikkiJRM Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My biggest weakness is sweets, especially CHOCOLATE. I stumbled across another recipe that I think I will be eating a lot of. Frozen Chocolate Whips. They are great just chilled like regular whipped cream, or frozen like in the recipe. I had my husband try it and all he kept saying about it was "just one more bite" over and over. HaHa!

Wanted to share the recipe in case there are any other chocoholics out there.
    https://sprinklesomefun.com/frozen-chocolate-whips-low-carb-thm-s/

On a different note, today I have a little extra boost of confidence as my jeans are a little looser today and I keep having to pull them up. It's a little annoying, but totally a good thing. :smiley:

@rae1388 Mmmmmmmmm!! We speak the same language!! CHOCOLAAAAAAAATE!!!!!
  • stormywxs288
    Options
    Thanks, I will definitely check those out!!

Here's one I forgot, Mark Sisson. He's an incredible example of how diet can improve your health regardless of your age. He is my hero. I want to be like him someday.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoRWj9kt6kmLFaSFvEhRQEw
  • eggfooyamyam
    eggfooyamyam Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    @stormywxs288 I watched the Keto Connect videos last night - they are adorable and also informative. I love that they share recipes and then make them in real time - so easy. I'll check out Mark Sisson, too.
  • stormywxs288
    Options
    @stormywxs288 I watched the Keto Connect videos last night - they are adorable and also informative. I love that they share recipes and then make them in real time - so easy. I'll check out Mark Sisson, too.

Don't forget Thomas DeLauer. He has an icrediable over 200 pound loss story. He gets a little deep into science sometimes but if you hang on he usually explains it so mere mortals can understand. Not neccessarily repeat but understand. And his videos are very professionally produced.

• AllemanMom
    AllemanMom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm new the the keto community and would like to join the April challenge.
    My goal is to lose 8 lbs.

Sunday 04/01 ... joined late ... SW 161
    Sunday 04/08
    Sunday 04/15
    Sunday 04/22
    Sunday 04/29
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I'm new round here, but not to Keto. I'm on day 42. I'd like to join the challenge, but I don't weigh myself weekly. Is that necessary to sign up? I hope not. I plan on weighing myself on my day 60 which is Wednesday, April 25. But normally I weigh myself on the last day of every month.

I don't have a goal, only for my scale to go down, or my measurements to go down. I'm more interested in the NSVs then the scale.

SW: 275
    CW: 257
    GW: 150