• emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    May 14
    Exercised?: Yes, 2km run, 1k row and core mat work
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Do you eat back exercise calories?
    I aim not to but I don't beat myself up if I do. I tend not to count my fitbit calories as I think they're significantly over recorded, if I go into them it's basically a cheat day!

@westray16 you haven't let anyone down at all, by sharing with us you're making progress and reflecting on things, it will turn back around!
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Username: eevang
    Weigh-in week: Week 3
    Weigh-in day: Monday
    Previous week's weight: 184.2
    Current weight: 182.4

@craigo3154 Giving up up baked goods for lent was a really good decision for me and really helped with the offerings at work. I struggle with sweets that aren’t self-contained, and open platters of baked goods in the teacher’s lounge at work are a temptation. Cutting them all out made me not want to give up over a stale cookie or random donut. The hard part was visiting my college town in March and not being able to eat the chocolate chip muffin at the local bakery that I remember so fondly.

I also feel a lot better when I don’t eat baked goods. When I eat them, I react poorly to the suddenly high levels of sugar. I feel groggy and off.

Aaaand I think I’ve just decided to give up baked goods again. I’m thinking until June 11 when I have a pretty big exam. This might help keep my mind clear.
  • eevang
    Options
    For eating back exercise calories...I do. I get so ravenous after working out...I would probably cave and binge eat if I didn’t plan to eat some of my calories back. Also my day to day exercise varies significantly.

I do, however, purposefully underestimate the calories I’ve burned. I use the gym machine predictions and round down (ex: 330 to 300) because those machines are generally set for someone who is only 160/150 pounds. I know machines overestimate calories but that helps even things out.

If you ever want to edit the exercise calories MFP predicts, it’s pretty easy. Enter the activity and time but once it makes the calories prediction, delete that and put in your own number.

I actually think underestimating exercise calories is one of the more successful things I’ve done. I always lose more weight when I’ve been working out than expected based off my calorie deficit.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Stimpy56 wrote: »
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    Stimpy56 wrote: »
    Username: Stimpy56
    Week: MAY WK 2
    Weigh day: Thursday
    Previous week: 237.0
    Current weight: 235.5

@Stimpy56. Great result for the week. Well done. Doing anything different?

For my afternoon snack, I have been doing a steam veggie and trying to drink a gallon of water a day.

@Stimpy56. Eating better snacks and drinking water are definitely steps in the right direction. Well done. Keep doing it because it seems to be helping.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Week 3 weigh-in, Monday.
    Last week: 184
    This week: 184.8

I don't know. I expected a small loss, not a gain. I had 2 days where I was about 500 over maintenance but my overall deficit for the week was about -2500. Unless my fitbit is seriously overestimating my calorie burn.
    One positive to take from the weigh-in was my body fat percentage was down .7% and muscle increased a tiny amount .3% so I'll focus on that and try harder for a 'scale' loss next week.

@susanbenita. You are still down over 1% for the month, so I would not be concerned with the scale. What is important is how you FEEL.

With body fat% down, muscle % increase and most likely reducing size; the weight is of least concern. You are also eating right and tracking, so just keep doing what you are doing. The weight will eventually get the message.

Keep up the great work.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    westray16 wrote: »
    Week 3
    Weigh in Monday
    Previous weight 13st 8lbs
    Current weight 13st 12lbs

So sorry I've let the team down.
    I'm an emotional binger and food has been out of control .
    Back to tracking today.......... and hopefully I can make it a loss next week

@westray16. What has been happening to let the food spiral out of control?

Just take things day by day. Forget yesterday. It cannot be changed. But you can learn from it.

Like one of my favourite quotes from Rafiki -
    8u6d1op6pqvi.jpg

(Was tempted with "Because you're a baboon and I am not." , but I am a baboon at times :) )
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Username: concordancia
    Day: Monday
    Week: 3
    Previous weight: 192
    Current weight: 197

OK, I know I haven't been perfect, but it isn't like I have been binging, either!

@concordancia. You had been posting some impressive losses, so a bit of a bounce is not unexpected.

May be worth looking at the past weeks logging and see if you can see if there is anything that stands out as odd.

Otherwise, just chalk it up as a scale error and see if it bounces back down next week (or next day if you weigh daily).

Most important thing is to just get back to doing what you were doing when the scale was moving in the direction you wanted. Don't try make up the difference, just get back on the path and keep plodding along. It's worth the effort to make the process so easy it's almost automatic.
  • susanbenita
    susanbenita Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154 Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.

May 14th

Exercise: 25 minute walk, over 10,000 steps total
    Calories: yes
    Tracked: yes

@eevang I don't go to the gym or use machines, so all my calories burned from exercise come from my linked fitbit account, which is mainly step-based. But I think it does over-estimate.

OK, my plan for this week....
    1. Stick to 1300-1500 calories per day and don't eat back any more in exercise calories.
    2. When I log my calorie burn from Fitbit I will downsize it by 10%
    3. Drink a gallon of water as per @Stimpy56 good example! Something I am not so good at
    4. Try to get more sleep - my average last week was 6.5hours

@concordancia and @westray16 - I'm right with you. Let's all try for a result this week together! One day at a time.
  • westray16
    westray16 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    emmclean wrote: »
    May 14
    Exercised?: Yes, 2km run, 1k row and core mat work

Do you eat back exercise calories?
    I aim not to but I don't beat myself up if I do. I tend not to count my fitbit calories as I think they're significantly over recorded, if I go into them it's basically a cheat day!

@westray16 you haven't let anyone down at all, by sharing with us you're making progress and reflecting on things, it will turn back around!

Hi many thanks for your words of encouragement! Great to know there is support in this group
  • westray16
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    westray16 wrote: »
    Week 3
    Weigh in Monday
    Previous weight 13st 8lbs
    Current weight 13st 12lbs

So sorry I've let the team down.
    I'm an emotional binger and food has been out of control .
    Back to tracking today.......... and hopefully I can make it a loss next week

@westray16. What has been happening to let the food spiral out of control?

Just take things day by day. Forget yesterday. It cannot be changed. But you can learn from it.

Like one of my favourite quotes from Rafiki -
    8u6d1op6pqvi.jpg

(Was tempted with "Because you're a baboon and I am not." , but I am a baboon at times :) )

Thank you for the words of encouragement and the Rafiki quote ! I can engage with it. You are doing a great job motivating the group.
  • westray16
    Options
    May 14
    Exercised Yes 17k steps during day
    Calories Yes
    Tracking Yes
  • craigo3154
    Options
    May 15
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 5km in 38mins (hills).

Could not get a good pace today no matter how I tried. May need more rest, or more calories.

Flying in the car park again tonight. Flew well. I seem to be getting used to the pace.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for May 15 is sit-ups or crunches (abs day - be sure to use a mat or towel for cushioning - )

2 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)

The reason for only 2 sets for this exercise is that it ideally should be balanced with back strengthening exercises (which plank variants provide).
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Interesting reading peoples approaches to exercise calories. As usual, there is no single correct answer that works for everyone.

Todays question: What NSV's (non-scale victories) have you had over the past week.

For me, today I tried on a jacket that used to fit me (needed one for extra warmth). It used to fit. It is now at least 2 sizes too big for me.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Username: craigo3154
    Weigh in week: Week 3
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Week's Weight: (64.0kg) 141.1
    Todays Weight: (64.0kg) 141.1

Scales still reading 64kg. I think the sensitivity on my scales is on the way out. I've been 64.0 for the entire week (7 reading, no variation). This is almost impossible.

Been feeling fine though, so not overly concerned. Clothes still fit, can still do daily activity, eating has been mainly to plan.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Happy weigh-in day for: @HSM2673. @aeloine. and @inshapeCK.
  • eevang
    Options
    NSVs: When I buy clothes, I’m not plus sized. I’m often not even the largest sizes in regular stores. This is a wonderful change. I think it’s stupid how plus is regulated to certain stores or certain sections. When shopping with friends, I used to feel like I was headed to the shame section. While I’m glad to find clothes shopping more pleasant and accessible, I still wish the way stores structure plus clothes would change.

A funny NSV. My male cousins came over for Mother’s Day along with a lot of my family. The oldest one wanted to compliment my loss but felt awkward talking to a woman about her weight. My grandma asked him if he noticed any changes with me and he said...she looks nice. I think she cut her hair?

My loss is super noticeable at this point. People I have only met a handful of times mention it when they see me.
  • westray16
    Options
    May 15
    Exercise? Yes 18k steps over day
    Calories? Yes
    Tracking? Yes
  • craigo3154
    Options
    May 16
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 5km in 37mins (hills).

Better pace today no than yesterday. I think more rest helped.

Daughters first performance in the school musical tomorrow night. They are performing "Into the Woods" (the full Sondheim musical, Acts 1 and 2). They do 4 performances (Thursday, Friday, Saturday matinee and Saturday night). My daughter will be wiped by Sunday.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for May 16 is door frame rows ()

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
    • Third set

The reason for this exercise is push ups and dips work primarily the triceps (pushing). This exercise balances the others by working the biceps (pulling).
  • craigo3154
    Options
    eevang wrote: »
    NSVs: When I buy clothes, I’m not plus sized. I’m often not even the largest sizes in regular stores. This is a wonderful change. I think it’s stupid how plus is regulated to certain stores or certain sections. When shopping with friends, I used to feel like I was headed to the shame section. While I’m glad to find clothes shopping more pleasant and accessible, I still wish the way stores structure plus clothes would change.

A funny NSV. My male cousins came over for Mother’s Day along with a lot of my family. The oldest one wanted to compliment my loss but felt awkward talking to a woman about her weight. My grandma asked him if he noticed any changes with me and he said...she looks nice. I think she cut her hair?

My loss is super noticeable at this point. People I have only met a handful of times mention it when they see me.
    @eevang. Well done. I love reading about others NSVs. They are inspiring.

Great having to shop smaller sizes. I am with you on clothes store organisation.

I went from a large to a small. They do not expect men of my height (and age) to be as light as I am. I have to take in even the smallest length belts to make them fit. I actually can swap jumpers with my 15yo daughter. :)

It's also great when someone who has not seen you for a while unprompted mentions that you are looking good for having lost weight.
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    May 14
    Tracked: Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Exercise: Yes

May 15
    Tracked: Yes
    Calories: No
    Exercise: No

Yesterday was another train day that was a doozy for transportation. I was on the 5:30 AM train and with storm delays and downed trees on my commuter line for the way home, I didn't actually get back home again until 1:30 AM this morning, when I should have been home by about 8:30 PM last night. So, I was over by about 450 calories, though I've tried to generously estimate the foods I ate while away -- lunch at the conference I was at didn't have calories labeled, and neither did my "dinner" salad on the way home.

Home now!
This discussion has been closed.