TEAM: Gutbusters (May)

Options

Replies

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Happy weigh in day for: @parinzz. @Stimpy56.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    For all Gutbusters:

The "bookmark" facility for group threads seems to have been repaired by MFP.

I strongly suggest that you bookmark this thread using the process below.
    When viewing the thread, please "bookmark" the thread by pressing the "star" icon (it should turn yellow).
    3cu4npy62hfa.png

This way you can be notified whenever someone posts to the thread (your "bell" icon on most forum headers will show if there are any notifications).
    yop2unsw1ph1.png

Thank you.

Tagging all Gutbusters:
    @biche896.
    @brunchowl.
    @concordancia.
    @eevang.
    @LesIckaBod.
    @mrsjlmann.
    @susanbenita.
    @westray16.
    @HSM2673.
    @aeloine.
    @inshapeCK.
    @parinzz.
    @Stimpy56.
    @alydanbeads.
    @fe452436.
    @szymanskicolleen.
    @typeitdaily.
    @emmclean.
    @krissturner.
    @Reanna143.
    @sunderland_mich93.
    @dlhollin1.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Yay, bookmark!!

I had even tried earlier today!
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Yay, bookmark!!

@concordancia. I had even tried earlier today!

Had been trying it daily since lodging the request for fix with MFP. Today was the first time it has worked for me.
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154 “Lastly, I try consume protein with carbohydrate.”

Yep still reading and interested.
  • Stefbomb2020
    Stefbomb2020 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    For all Gutbusters:

The "bookmark" facility for group threads seems to have been repaired by MFP.

I strongly suggest that you bookmark this thread using the process below.
    When viewing the thread, please "bookmark" the thread by pressing the "star" icon (it should turn yellow).
    3cu4npy62hfa.png

This way you can be notified whenever someone posts to the thread (your "bell" icon on most forum headers will show if there are any notifications).
    yop2unsw1ph1.png

Thank you.

Tagging all Gutbusters:
    @biche896.
    @brunchowl.
    @concordancia.
    @eevang.
    @LesIckaBod.
    @mrsjlmann.
    @susanbenita.
    @westray16.
    @HSM2673.
    @aeloine.
    @inshapeCK.
    @parinzz.
    @Stimpy56.
    @alydanbeads.
    @fe452436.
    @szymanskicolleen.
    @typeitdaily.
    @emmclean.
    @krissturner.
    @Reanna143.
    @sunderland_mich93.
    @dlhollin1.

Thank u so much.... this is such a relief
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    May 9
    Exercise: yes
    Calories: yes
    Tracked: yes

Making progress, day by day
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

(Note: Average male, 5'9", 49yo at 150lbs (68kg) and sedentary lifestyle is expected to have a 1850 kCal daily intake to maintain weight)

I was on 1500 kcal per day. at the start of August. I increased this by 100 kcal per day to 1600 kcal per day for the first week. On week 2 I increased to 1700 kcal per day as I was still losing weight (7 day average). On week 4 I increased to 1800 kcal per day as I was still losing weight. On week 6 I increased to 1900 kcal per day. On week 8 I increased finally to 2000 kcal per day and weight loss finally tapered off.

Thank you for your extensive answer -- and I did keep reading to the very end, too! I'm thinking about how you transitioned from a lower, weight loss calorie goal to the higher, weight management calorie goal, and how that might work for me. I think I was under the impression that if I just use my management calorie goal now, I'd be losing weight. (The idea being, if I eat like I weigh 140 lbs now, eventually I'll weigh 140 lbs).

I have another question. On MFP, when you add exercise, it gives you an additional calorie allowance as well. So, if you burn 200 calories, MFP would allow you 1700 calories for the day (1500+200). You said you were on 1500 kcal/day. I'm curious whether that was your MFP goal, and you counted yourself as at goal if you consumed less than 1500+(exercise calories) for the day, or whether you kept a hard line at 1500 calories.

I ask because I went to an InBody scale in early April and learned my basal metabolic rate is 1441 kcal. I'm using 1400 as my goal on MFP, and allowing myself the extra calories earned from exercise. I hear you about monitoring and evaluating choices and the effects they have, so I'll be watching to see what changes. I'm also going back to the InBody scale at the end of this month, so we'll see what difference 2 months has made.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    May 10
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 6km in 46mins (hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Little more energy today, but definitely not 100%. Another earlyish night required.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for May 10 is push ups

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 60% of the number you did in the first set (half, then another 10%), wait 2 mins
    • Third set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
  • craigo3154
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    Thank you for your extensive answer -- and I did keep reading to the very end, too! I'm thinking about how you transitioned from a lower, weight loss calorie goal to the higher, weight management calorie goal, and how that might work for me. I think I was under the impression that if I just use my management calorie goal now, I'd be losing weight. (The idea being, if I eat like I weigh 140 lbs now, eventually I'll weigh 140 lbs).

I have another question. On MFP, when you add exercise, it gives you an additional calorie allowance as well. So, if you burn 200 calories, MFP would allow you 1700 calories for the day (1500+200). You said you were on 1500 kcal/day. I'm curious whether that was your MFP goal, and you counted yourself as at goal if you consumed less than 1500+(exercise calories) for the day, or whether you kept a hard line at 1500 calories.

I ask because I went to an InBody scale in early April and learned my basal metabolic rate is 1441 kcal. I'm using 1400 as my goal on MFP, and allowing myself the extra calories earned from exercise. I hear you about monitoring and evaluating choices and the effects they have, so I'll be watching to see what changes. I'm also going back to the InBody scale at the end of this month, so we'll see what difference 2 months has made.

@LesIckaBod. Happy for questions. I wish more would ask.

Exercise calories? Whether to include them or not in your daily budget? I don't and I recommend that you don't for 2 reasons.
    1. Estimated from exercise calories are notoriously well out. How many calories you burn from an activity depends on not only the activity, but your skill level at the activity, your efficiency, your weight, the ambient temperature and humidity, etc....
    2. Psychologically you can do end up adopting a mindset of "I'll do this activity as it will earn me X additional calories in my daily budget". If the "calorie" reward for an activity is too high, then you end up doing it for the wrong reason.

If you are working from a TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) that is calculated from anything other than "sedentary", then you should definitely not include activity calories in the daily budget as they have already been factored in.

BMR (basal metabolic rate), is the estimate rate at which the body burns calories just to keep the brain working, heart pumping and body warm (think coma). For weight loss, the real figure to be concerned with is TDEE. TDEE factors in activity which is what we really need to work with.

I set my daily goal to be inside my calorie budget without activity (and it was initially projected from MFP and cross-checked with SailRabbit. (www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/). These initial calculations are a GUIDE. Your tracking should give you a MUCH better idea of what your daily budget should be.

If I have a particularly active day (eg. >15,000 steps), then I allow myself HALF of the calculated activity calories as an extension to that day's budget. However it need to be an extraordinary day activity wise, (eg. normal 6km walk does not qualify).

You ideally want to be in the range of 500 kcal per day LESS than your actual TDEE. This gives you an estimated loss of around 1lbs per week. (1 lbs of fat is estimated to have around 3500 kcal - 3500 / 7 = 500. 500 kcal deficit per day, the remaining comes from burning body fat.
    There is MUCH more to it than this, but this is a good rule of thumb and often tends to work).

How do you work out your tracked TDEE? This is where tracking comes in.
    • Track your calories and activity for 3 weeks.
    • Your true daily intake is the AVERAGE of 7 days. (3 days before, the actual day, 3 days after).
    • Track your weight DAILY (same time of day each day).
    • Your true weight can be taken as the average of 7 consecutive days weighing. (3 days before, the actual day, 3 days after - water fluctuations can really mess things up, so the average is essential).
    • Take your starting true weight and subtract your ending true weight.
    • Divide this true weight difference by the number of days recording for (this is the average daily loss).
    • Take your total of true daily intakes over the period and divide by the number of days to give your average total intake.
    • Your tracked TDEE is the average total intake PLUS the average daily loss (in lbs) * 3500.

Your target them becomes your tracked TDEE less 500 * lbs per WEEK targeting to lose.

If you are too aggressive with weight loss, then weight can stall as body shuts down passive activity to prevent starvation. If you are too lax with weight loss you can stall as the body is getting all it needs to maintain.

1% per week is the MAXIMUM anyone should target to get to BMR (body mass ratio) 22.5. It is possible to be more aggressive and not stall through starvation but you have to really know what you are doing and monitor EXTREEMLY carefully.

(For example, I averaged 1.5% per week for 2 months, but tracked everything VERY closely and revised daily TDEE every 2 weeks. Had to be VERY careful not to trip over into extreme metabolic adaption (metabolic damage). ).

Hope this all makes sense.
  • Stimpy56
    Stimpy56 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Username: Stimpy56
    Week: MAY WK 2
    Weigh day: Thursday
    Previous week: 237.0
    Current weight: 235.5
  • susanbenita
    susanbenita Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »

@LesIckaBod. Happy for questions. I wish more would ask.

Exercise calories? Whether to include them or not in your daily budget? I don't and I recommend that you don't for 2 reasons.
    1. Estimated from exercise calories are notoriously well out. How many calories you burn from an activity depends on not only the activity, but your skill level at the activity, your efficiency, your weight, the ambient temperature and humidity, etc....
    2. Psychologically you can do end up adopting a mindset of "I'll do this activity as it will earn me X additional calories in my daily budget". If the "calorie" reward for an activity is too high, then you end up doing it for the wrong reason.

If you are working from a TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) that is calculated from anything other than "sedentary", then you should definitely not include activity calories in the daily budget as they have already been factored in.

BMR (basal metabolic rate), is the estimate rate at which the body burns calories just to keep the brain working, heart pumping and body warm (think coma). For weight loss, the real figure to be concerned with is TDEE. TDEE factors in activity which is what we really need to work with.

I set my daily goal to be inside my calorie budget without activity (and it was initially projected from MFP and cross-checked with SailRabbit. (www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/). These initial calculations are a GUIDE. Your tracking should give you a MUCH better idea of what your daily budget should be.

If I have a particularly active day (eg. >15,000 steps), then I allow myself HALF of the calculated activity calories as an extension to that day's budget. However it need to be an extraordinary day activity wise, (eg. normal 6km walk does not qualify).

You ideally want to be in the range of 500 kcal per day LESS than your actual TDEE. This gives you an estimated loss of around 1lbs per week. (1 lbs of fat is estimated to have around 3500 kcal - 3500 / 7 = 500. 500 kcal deficit per day, the remaining comes from burning body fat.
    There is MUCH more to it than this, but this is a good rule of thumb and often tends to work).

How do you work out your tracked TDEE? This is where tracking comes in.
    • Track your calories and activity for 3 weeks.
    • Your true daily intake is the AVERAGE of 7 days. (3 days before, the actual day, 3 days after).
    • Track your weight DAILY (same time of day each day).
    • Your true weight can be taken as the average of 7 consecutive days weighing. (3 days before, the actual day, 3 days after - water fluctuations can really mess things up, so the average is essential).
    • Take your starting true weight and subtract your ending true weight.
    • Divide this true weight difference by the number of days recording for (this is the average daily loss).
    • Take your total of true daily intakes over the period and divide by the number of days to give your average total intake.
    • Your tracked TDEE is the average total intake PLUS the average daily loss (in lbs) * 3500.

Your target them becomes your tracked TDEE less 500 * lbs per WEEK targeting to lose.

If you are too aggressive with weight loss, then weight can stall as body shuts down passive activity to prevent starvation. If you are too lax with weight loss you can stall as the body is getting all it needs to maintain.

1% per week is the MAXIMUM anyone should target to get to BMR (body mass ratio) 22.5. It is possible to be more aggressive and not stall through starvation but you have to really know what you are doing and monitor EXTREEMLY carefully.

(For example, I averaged 1.5% per week for 2 months, but tracked everything VERY closely and revised daily TDEE every 2 weeks. Had to be VERY careful not to trip over into extreme metabolic adaption (metabolic damage). ).

Hope this all makes sense.

VERY useful information. Thank you @craigo3154
  • susanbenita
    edited May 2018
    Options
    May 10
    Exercised: Yes. 45 minute walk plus busy working day. 16.5k steps
    Calories?: Yes - under goal
    Tracked?: Yes

I didn't stick to plan for the last couple of days due to visitors and meals out, but I am still at a small deficit for the week so far.

Hope everyone else is having a good week so far! xx
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Stimpy56 wrote: »
    Username: Stimpy56
    Week: MAY WK 2
    Weigh day: Thursday
    Previous week: 237.0
    Current weight: 235.5

@Stimpy56. Great result for the week. Well done. Doing anything different?
  • craigo3154
    Options
  • craigo3154
    edited May 2018
    Options
    eevang wrote: »

@eevang. Carbohydrate is absorbed by the body as glucose (blood glucose :) ).

This kicks off a metabolic process to release insulin from the pancreas to transport the glucose into the cells that require it. Any blood glucose that cannot be absorbed is first used to re-stock the liver's glycogen reserves. If the liver's glycogen reserves are full, the excess glucose is combined into long chain molecules (fat) and stored in fat reserves.

High blood glucose also stops the pancreas's production of glucagon (which tells the liver to release glucose from it's stores and also break down fat into energy).

The body works hard to regulate blood glucose as that is what keeps the brain working and you alive.

The uptake of glucose by the cells also requires amino acids to aid in this process. These amino acids are formed from protein. If the reserves of amino acids to facilitate the transformation and transportation of glucose through the cell walls is not sufficient, the body makes it own. The body's self forming of essential amino acids is called protein synthesis. It does this through scavenging free muscle tissue (protein) by tearing down least used muscle fibres.

Muscle tissue is the greatest user of energy in the body. The more lean muscle you have, the more energy you burn on a daily basis.

The consumption of protein with carbohydrate is to ensure that protein synthesis is never needed. Thereby keeping as much lean muscle tissue as possible and keeping the metabolism high.

I studied a lot about metabolism when starting weight loss (and diabetes).

On a related side-note, I am of the opinion that pre-diabetes and diabetes from processed foods are a significant causal factor in the obesity epidemic. You can have pre-diabetes and some kinds of type 2 diabetes without being obese. Where as some obese people do not have pre-diabetes or type 2 diabetes.

Pre-diabetes and the most common kinds of type 2 diabetes are insulin resistance. This is seems to be caused by frequent saturation of the blood with insulin in response to eating carbohydrate too often (snacking on high carbohydrate food and not a long enough gap to fall back into glucagon production). Saturated exposure of insulin, and the cells develop a resistance to the insulin (requiring more to take in glucose). This gets into a vicious cycle till eventually the body cannot produce enough insulin to overcome the cells resistance and the blood glucose levels remain high. (Bad things happen if blood sugar is too high for too long - kidney damage, vision damage, etc...)

If in this cycle, the best way out is to dramatically cut the consumption of carbohydrate and/or have long gaps between meals (limit snacking). Intermittent fasting, Atkins or Keto all work closely with this principal. The main key is long periods of time where insulin requirements are low (so glucagon can work it's magic - or with keto - keytones). This both relieves stress on the insulin system and (if in calorie deficit) promotes using of the fat stores.

The other good note is that protein spikes insulin less than carbohydrate. Natural fats (mono-, poly- and saturated) spikes insulin less than protein. Trans fats throw the cholesterol regulation system for a loop and should be kept low. A high protein, high fat, low carb diet is the best way to keep insulin requirement low.

Last note is that fibre slows the rate of absorption of glucose from carbohydrate. There are no natural sources of carbohydrate without fibre. Most food processing removes fibre from the carbohydrate (husking wheat, processing sugar cane, etc...). For a diabetic, if the poison is high blood sugar after consuming carbohydrate, then fibre is the antidote. However taking the antidote without the poison does nothing.

(soap box away now - sorry for the long post).
  • susanbenita
    Options
    eevang wrote: »

The consumption of protein with carbohydrate is to ensure that protein synthesis is never needed. Thereby keeping as much lean muscle tissue as possible and keeping the metabolism high.

That was a great read @craigo3154 Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I was particularly interested to read this part as that hadn't occurred to me before.
  • typeitdaily
    typeitdaily Posts: 3,322 Member
    Options
    Username: typeitdaily
    Weigh in week: 2
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Previous Weight: 241.2
    Todays Weight: 239.6
  • alydanbeads
    alydanbeads Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Username: alydanbeads
    Weigh in week: Week 2
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Previous weight: 140.2
    Current weight: 138.2
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Happy weigh in Saturday for: @emmclean. @krissturner. @Reanna143. @sunderland_mich93.
This discussion has been closed.