Replies

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    mrsjlmann wrote: »
    Weigh in week 2:
    Last week: 145.3kg
    This week 144.7kg
    0.6kg lost. Getting there slowly and steadily. Stupidly decided to go on a family walk yesterday. Ended up being 8 miles long on rough uneven terrain! Sore all over now with extreme pain where my right leg connects to the hip.

@mrsjlmann. These "mistakes" are often the greatest opportunities. Hopefully the soreness subsides quickly.

My "mistake" was to follow a trail one Saturday that ended up being 13 miles (Very uneven terrain. 1500+ft in elevation changes. Did not take any water.). I completed this distance walking in just under 3 hours (and was very sore the next day).

However, this also seemed to kick my metabolism into a different gear as the following 2 weeks I lost more than the previous month. I was doing nothing else different those 2 weeks from the previous month.

Well done for doing 8 miles. Quite an achievement in itself.
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    How much time? I was curious and checked my activity log for the past few weeks. 4-5 hours activity is pretty much the norm. But I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t just do it for weight loss. Today I was dying to get to the gym for my cardio fix.

Daily time on MFP and envisioning/planning for my success...maybe 30-45 minutes daily? Thinking about my choices and sharing with others helps me stay strong. I’m hoping to scale back to just logging when I reach maintenance (which will be about a year from now). We will see.

NSV today...I stepped off my old friend the elliptical...and tried out the treadmill. I have a lot of emotional hang ups with running. I was the slowest in my middle school PE class (and not even remotely the most out of shape), and I was teased mercilessly. So the elliptical has been my safe cardio space. I’ve always told myself (for years and years) that I would get fit enough on the elliptical to give actual running a try. Well, I never stuck with working out long enough to get to that point.

Until now. I gave it 25 minutes overall with 11 minutes of actual running (on and off). This was huge for me! Also after an intense 50 minutes of elliptical.
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Username: eevang
    Weigh-in week: Week 2
    Weigh-in day: Monday
    Previous week's weight: 186
    Current weight: 184.2
  • craigo3154
    Options
    eevang wrote: »
    How much time? I was curious and checked my activity log for the past few weeks. 4-5 hours activity is pretty much the norm. But I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t just do it for weight loss. Today I was dying to get to the gym for my cardio fix.

@eevang. Strange when it gets that way. When I started walking I never thought it would get to the point I feel better having walked than not walking.
    Daily time on MFP and envisioning/planning for my success...maybe 30-45 minutes daily? Thinking about my choices and sharing with others helps me stay strong. I’m hoping to scale back to just logging when I reach maintenance (which will be about a year from now). We will see.

@eevang. I log in maintenance to keep me on track. I am just not as intense about it as when I was actively striving to attain my health goals. I find tracking helps keep me mindful of portion sizes and food choices.
    NSV today...I stepped off my old friend the elliptical...and tried out the treadmill. I have a lot of emotional hang ups with running. I was the slowest in my middle school PE class (and not even remotely the most out of shape), and I was teased mercilessly. So the elliptical has been my safe cardio space. I’ve always told myself (for years and years) that I would get fit enough on the elliptical to give actual running a try. Well, I never stuck with working out long enough to get to that point.

Until now. I gave it 25 minutes overall with 11 minutes of actual running (on and off). This was huge for me! Also after an intense 50 minutes of elliptical.
    [/quote]

Awesome. Life is not school. In the real world, you will not get teased for running, irrespective of pace or technique. Do it for you; and enjoy. It can be fun and very satisfying.

Great thing about running (or walking) is that it can be done anywhere and does not NEED equipment.
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    May 7
    Exercise: Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Tracked: Yes

I've been doing the Hasfit beginner/foundation program for about a month now. Does anyone else here do that? We could be workout buddies.

Also walked/jogged for 20 minutes on the treadmill afterward.
  • HSM2673
    HSM2673 Posts: 48 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    HSM2673
    Weigh in day: Tuesday
    Starting weight: 148.8
    Week 1: 145.8
    Week2 : 145.5
    10# loss photo
  • fe452436
    fe452436 Posts: 255 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    May 5
    Exercise:No
    Tracking:Yes
    Calories:Yes

May 6
    Exercise:No
    Calories Yes

May 7
    Exercise:Yes
    Calories:Yes

I am spending an average of 2-3 hours on my fitness goals .Exercise almost 2 hours 5 days a week at gym.Started tracking regularly on MFP .Now tracking takes relatively less time. Controlling my diet and counting calories too.I need to work on planning my meals ahead of time.But make salads more often.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    May 8
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 6km in 46mins (hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Late post as went flying last night and home late.

Wife made pavlova again last night. Double serve, but still in budget.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for May 08 is side lunges ()

3 sets
    • First set 10 or 15 each leg (if 10 is too easy continue to 15).
    • Second set 6 or 9 each leg.
    • Third set 5 or 8 each leg.
  • craigo3154
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Username: craigo3154
    Weigh in week: Week 2
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Week's Weight: (64.0kg) 141.1
    Todays Weight: (64.0kg) 141.1

Bounced up to 64.5 during the weekend, but back down to 64kg again now.

Still in a comfortable range size, fitness, strength and health wise, cannot want for more. Weight is just an aside.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    HSM2673 wrote: »
    10# loss photo
    surgab2djrcb.jpeg
    @HSM2673. Wow, you look great.

That is an amazing difference. I can see (especially round the chin and neck) where the change is. Great progress.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Happy weigh in day Wednesday for: @inshapeCK. @aeloine.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Daily question: What changes in how your daily life will be do you see when you reach your target weight, size, fitness, strength?

A lot of the daily questions have been looking back. Time to look forward.

There is a saying: "What you can perceive, you can achieve".

When I started weight (health) management over a year ago (at 90kg), I thought 75kg would be as low as I could safely get (due to age, etc). When I got to 80kg, I could then believe I could make 75kg. When I hit 75kg I believed I could safely make 70kg. When I made 70kg I was still losing but transitioning to maintenance. Using a 2 month long transition to maintenance I levelled out at 66kg and have not bounced up (as most people expect from a rapid weight loss).

So oddly enough, I am at my target weight, size, fitness, strength now. I never imagined that I would still be tracking, but I have found that it is one of the maintenance tasks I need to do to remain.

I also did not expect to find I had a slight gluten sensitivity along the way. However, self experimentation shows this is the case. I now feel better when I stay away from gluten.

I did not expect to walk ever day. Now most days I look forward to it.

The other benifits I expected (and realised) are:
    • I am seldom (if ever) out of breath.
    • I can do things much easier.
    • I feel younger than I am (50 next month - but I feel like mid 30s (or younger). I can physically do things, that a lot of others in my age group, simply cannot).
    • I care less now than I used to about how people think of me (I am happy with me and what I have achieved and do not need as much approval from others).

What changes in how your daily life will be do you see when you reach your target weight, size, fitness, strength?
  • craigo3154
    Options
    May 9
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 6km in 47mins (hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Was very tired today. May be comming down with something (I hope not).

Early night.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for May 09 is side planks. ()

2 sets
    • First set 15s, 30s each side, wait 2 mins
    • Second set 15s, 30s each side.
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    May 8
    Exercise: Yes - hasfit 10 min abs, 30 min stretch, plus 2.5 hours of slow walking while working on treadmill
    Calories: Yes
    Tracked: Yes
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    Daily question: What changes in how your daily life will be do you see when you reach your target weight, size, fitness, strength?

Changes:
    • I've had plantar fasciitis for months and months. I'm hopeful the weight loss eases that pain!
    • I think I'll be able to play more actively with my boys. (Partly related to above, partly related to getting winded now)
    • I think I'll be able to sleep better at night. When I'm eating unhealthy, I lie in bed at night and fret over how I'm feeling and what I'm doing to myself. Much better to eat well and exercise, and fall asleep quickly because I'm tired.

Craig, you mentioned your "2 month long transition to maintenance". I'm a long way off from that stage, but could you explain what that was like, or give a link to information? How did you do it in a way that ensure you didn't bounce back?
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry! I didn't realize that we had started a May thread!

Username: aeloine
    Week: 2
    Previous weight: 221.4
    Today's weight: 220.6
  • inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,943 Member
    Options
    Username: inshapeCK
    Weigh in week: Week 2
    Previous Week's Weight: 149.8 pounds
    Todays Weight: 149.1 pounds

Down 0.7 pounds.
    Today I am exactly down 21 pounds from my highest weight ever of 170.1 pounds. <3

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I am not really expecting additional changes in my daily life. Is that naive? My body, and especially my lungs are already so much stronger, I can't imagine what else to ask of them on a daily basis. As I have said before, I have some ideas for fun things as my upper body strength increases and for when my weight is similar to my husband's (I won't have to sit in the back of the kayak anymore).

Maybe this is just because I am having a hard time seeing the future much at all right now? With my husband's health issues, we have no idea if he will ever recover enough to follow up with our plans to retire early. Or if we retire even earlier to get him away from the stress, what will we do with our time if we can't sail? How will we manage the finances if we stay in the US instead of relying on cheaper healthcare worldwide? I just learned that my father is also having as yet undiagnosed skeletomuscular issues and going down hill fast. Although it wore him out and he was slower than ever, he walked up to 20k steps a day on vacation last month. Now they are talking about giving him a handicap sticker. Will we help care for him if this is degenerative or for my depression prone mother if this is terminal?

One step in front of the other. Breath. All I can see of daily life six months from now is eating well and keeping active.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    Craig, you mentioned your "2 month long transition to maintenance". I'm a long way off from that stage, but could you explain what that was like, or give a link to information? How did you do it in a way that ensure you didn't bounce back?

@LesIckaBod. This is my 12 month weight graph to today.

2rz2ggiawelw.png

The highlighted part is transition to maintenance.

I actually started at over 90kg in January 2017, but MFP graphs only last 12 month (have all weights in a spreadsheet if I really want it, but I find little need).

Two main things helped in transition to maintenance:
    1. My diet was not really a diet, but a full lifestyle change.
    2. I introduced change slowly.

(Note: Average male, 5'9", 49yo at 150lbs (68kg) and sedentary lifestyle is expected to have a 1850 kCal daily intake to maintain weight)

I was on 1500 kcal per day. at the start of August. I increased this by 100 kcal per day to 1600 kcal per day for the first week. On week 2 I increased to 1700 kcal per day as I was still losing weight (7 day average). On week 4 I increased to 1800 kcal per day as I was still losing weight. On week 6 I increased to 1900 kcal per day. On week 8 I increased finally to 2000 kcal per day and weight loss finally tapered off.

I weigh daily, but was taking note of the 7 day moving average. Each individual weight on it's own meant little. This stopped daily fluctuations from distorting the true picture.

I kept up my activity level the entire time (and ever to this day). I find the activity helps the brain work better as well as the body.

My diet guidelines for me are (same as when losing weight and now in maintenance):
    • Nothing is forbidden.
    • Limit snacks to save calories for bigger, better and more fulfilling meals.
    • Ensure to get the days protien.
    • Drink plenty of water (just tap water).
    • Where possible eat gluten free (discovered during my weight loss that gluten foods tend to leave me more lethargic, hold weight on me longer and by inference slow or impede the uptake of nutrients).
    • After a "bad" day, forgive yourself and just go back to schedule (do not try fix the past by doing more than plan).

Even when losing weight at 1500 kcal per day, I had dessert most nights (ice-cream or pavlova). Just less of it than what I have now (most nights now I need double dessert just to be close to daily quota).

Often I have a soup for lunch. Then something high protein (even if it is a protein bar - fortunately I have some I like the taste of). Soup is great as it keeps me full for longer.

I find foods with fat, protein or fibre make me full. So I preference foods with those. Most processed foods (including flour based foods) have a lot of the fibre processed out so tend to be both calorie dense and not satiating.

Oddly enough sugared foods (pure carbohydrate, no fibre, but not from gluten source) do not have the same longer term lethargy/weight retention effect on me as gluten based high carbohydrate foods. Now that I know this about me, I have adjusted my preferences accordingly.

Lastly, I try consume protein with carbohydrate. This preventI can go into the reasons for this later if anyone is still reading.

In summary, when I started losing weight, I changed my lifestyle to one I could live with for the rest of my life. Subtle shifts in dietary preferences and activity. The changes were slow and subtle. It took my wife about 3 months before she caught on to what I was doing (as I deliberately did not tell her until results started to show). The changes needed to be what would fit in with how I lived and not exclude me from family or social events or work or travel.

Lastly I did a LOT of research into how the body works and experimented with my own diet to find out what works for ME. Worked like a scientist. Came up with theories as to how my body would respond to particular researched changes. One change at a time over a few weeks. Tracked/recorded before and after to see what the results were. Kept what worked, discarded what didn't.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    I'm so sorry! I didn't realize that we had started a May thread!

Username: aeloine
    Week: 2
    Previous weight: 221.4
    Today's weight: 220.6

@aeloine. Glad you found the new month. Looks like things are still on track. Well done.

Welcome along.
This discussion has been closed.