TEAM: Gutbusters (May)

Options

Replies

• LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »

Half the battle in weight management is a mind game. What every you tell yourself over and over tends to occur. Tell yourself you cannot and you will be right. Tell yourself you can and you will also be correct.

@craigo3154 Thanks for all the comments - I appreciate your time and what you're doing here to motivate the "team". Related to what you said here, one of the workout videos I use says, "The people who say they can and the people who say they can't are both right."

Might as well say we can then, right? :smile:

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    What makes you feel good:

I am a doer and a problem solver. They say that women listen while guys try to solve your problems? Well, I must be a guy deep down. I also like to make things, sewing, baking, crafts. I think it is one reason I like working on the boat so much: I have to solve the problem and make the solution happen :)

I also think it is why I was able to bring my A1C down from 10.5 to 6.7 in 2.5 months. I had a problem to focus on and a combination of solutions to work with. I am getting a little frustrated that I can't seem to get my morning numbers below 100 again, it only happened for two or three days in a row back in March. But it is a conundrum that I am working on with research and experimentation.
  • emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    May 1
    Exercised?: Yes, treadmill, rowing machine, heavy lifting and reps in the gym
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Finally bit the bullet and did something other than cardio in the gym today, all part of my refocused efforts to tone up and slim down for the wedding dress. I still have my goal weight but I'm trying to broaden my route to getting there and focus on the most important goals, which right now comes down to inches, not pounds. Was a bit self conscious of having my reps and weight lifting form judged by others in the gym, but those worries disappeared once I got into it.

What makes you feel good (apart from food)? Exercise! It might be a struggle to get on and do it much of the time, but the rewards are so worth it. Endorphins aside, I have so much more energy throughout the day when I work out.
  • concordancia
    Options
    @craigo3154 , you asked about resetting calorie goals. I have set a lower weight loss goal, resulting in a higher calorie goal. However, due to my current focus on blood sugar levels, I am regularly undereating by the new goals. Hence the continued 2lb/ week I have been recording. I still have 50lbs. to my "let's get to that point and see where we go from there" goal, so 2lbs./week doesn't seem excessive.
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Things that make me feel good: reading a good book, goal setting, hot baths, sleep, mobility-focused workouts, and doing intervals of moderate-high intensity cardio at the gym. I plan on trying meditation soon.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Username: craigo3154
    Weigh in week: Week 1
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Week's Weight: (63.9kg) 140.9
    Todays Weight: (64.0kg) 141.1

Still round the 64kg mark for most of the week (a small bounce up, but went back down again).

For those new to Gutbusters, I do not not have to post weigh-in data, but I do to keep me honest (and I weigh every day anyway). I am in full maintenance (and have been for months). I use the same principles, habits and dietary preferences to keep me at my ideal size.

Last thing to note is that I am 49yo, male and 175cm (5ft 9in) tall. So 141 lbs means I am pretty light for my size considering I am an average build (BMI 20.8 - estimated BF 8%). I should not be losing (or trying to lose) any more weight.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    eevang wrote: »
    NSV: I had a skirt that hugged my waist. It now settles above my hips. I'm definitely going to be asking my aunt who sews for some help with my clothes when I reach my goal. All my work clothes are getting pretty baggy...only four more weeks of school! I'm already excited for my back-to-school shopping trip in August. I'm going to put off buying things until then. I should be able to find old fitted T-shirts that'll get me through the summer.

Despite the fact that I've felt self-conscious/uncomfortable wearing shorts while weighing less than I am now, I feel like I might actually wear shorts this summer. My legs are so much more muscular now than they've ever been before...

@eevang. Great NSV. This is a fantastic problem to have (old clothes becoming baggy as you have lost so much size).

Wear the shorts this summer. Be comfortable in who you are. Don't let others opinions of your appearance put you down. You have worked hard to get where you are, enjoy it.

Becoming less self-conscious is one of the misnomers of weight loss. People assume as you lose weight you will automatically become more happy with your body instantly more comfortable around others. This is simply not true.

It takes time and effort to be less concerned with how others feel about your appearance. Just because you have slimmer you does not mean your existing pre-conceptions magically disappear. You need to make the conscious decision to not care about what others think of your appearance and be comfortable in who you are.

It was not until I was well under 70kg (155lbs) for over 2 months that I started to think of myself as no longer overweight. I was already over a month into full maintenance, but the brain needed time to change my own internal perception of me. Only once I was happy with me AND I was no longer concerned whether others thought I was overweight or skinny or scrawny or whatever... then I could comfortably wear non-concealing clothing.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    May 2
    Exercised?: Yes. Yes. Walk 6km in 46 mins (hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Slower walk as met up with another regular on the trails and talked for about a kilometre before I resumed my usual pace.

Need to walk earlier tomorrow as late rain is expected.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for May 02 is side planks. ()

2 sets
    • First set 15s, 30s each side, wait 2 mins
    • Second set 15s, 30s each side.
  • concordancia
    Options
    May 1:

Exercise: yes
    Calories: yes
    Tracked: yes

A little bit of a crash after all the stress lately. And I learned the hard way that I still can't eat spinach. It didn't clean me out this time, but it sure felt like it was going to. Still does the next morning, as a matter of fact.
  • susanbenita
    susanbenita Posts: 95 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    May 1st

Exercise: not as such - I had a very busy day at work yesterday so I did manage 13, 300 steps
    Calories: yes - stayed under goal

It's my day off today so I plan to do yesterday's strength challenge of the side lunges plus todays side planks, followed by a 45 minute walk. We are out to dinner tonight at an Indian restaurant with friends. I have logged all the calories I intend to eat into my diary already and the exercise today will make sure I am under my goal by tonight! Yaay!
    Fail to plan, plan to fail!

Hope you all have a great day.
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble remembering whether I've checked in! I think I'm missing April 30 and May 1.

April 30
    Exercise: yes; walk/jog intervals, and some low-impact cardio

May 1
    Exercise: yes; just slow walking on the treadmill while doing some work. Yay for contrived treadmill desk

Missed my midmorning snack yesterday and felt it the whole rest of the day.
  • fe452436
    fe452436 Posts: 255 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

May 1st

Tracking:yes
    Calories:yes

I hope everyone is fine.
  • westray16
    westray16 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    What makes me feel good ?

Walking - anywhere, any weather.....
    And any exercise to upbeat music - zumba etc

And exercise somehow makes me forget about food!
  • inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,943 Member
    Options
    Username: inshapeCK
    Previous Week's Weight: 149.4 pounds
    Todays Weight: (64.0kg) 149.8 pounds

Up 0.4 pounds.
    Not going to fret about it.
    Will aim to get it back off next week.
  • sunderland_mich93
    sunderland_mich93 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154

I will be going out of town for the weekend. Could I weigh in Friday for Saturday?
  • concordancia
    Options
    May 2:

Had to drive hubby to work again, so lots of hiking today. I even went a little ways into the canyon. If I plan ahead, I don't think it would be any problem to go into the canyon and get back out again. I just didn't leave enough time today.

As I type, it occurs to me how well I am dealing with his issues while being on top my diet: no eating out of frustration or fear or even boredom while waiting for him.
  • fe452436
    fe452436 Posts: 255 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    May 2

Exercise:yes
    Tracking:yes
    Calories:yes

• westray16
    westray16 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    May 2
    Exercise yes 15k steps during day
    Tracking yes
    Calories yes
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Happy weigh-in
    inshapeCK wrote: »
    Username: inshapeCK
    Previous Week's Weight: 149.4 pounds
    Todays Weight: (64.0kg) 149.8 pounds

Up 0.4 pounds.
    Not going to fret about it.
    Will aim to get it back off next week.

@inshapeCK. I make 64kg = 141.9 lbs. 149.8 lbs = 68kg (conversion factor is 2.204622622 or 2.2 for approximation).

I can vary almost 2lbs within a day, so don't worry about such a small variation.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Happy weigh-in day for: @parinzz. @Stimpy56.
This discussion has been closed.