• LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    June 16
    Exercise: Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Tracked: Yes

Got to dinner, and I still had calories left. Took a spoonful of leftover frosting... still calories left, to be spent on fat, mostly. So I ate 9 almonds. And still had calories left. So I ate 9 more, and nailed the calorie goal.

So, a win, in that I got to have a treat, but I also had the mental wherewithal to treat food as energy, and chose the almonds, with their healthier fat, to make up the energy deficit.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    June 17
    Exercised?: No. Rain and lunch with friends. No opportunity to walk.
    Calories?: No
    Tracked?: Yes

This mornings weigh in was even lower than yesterday. As I am currently underweight, I'll have the extra dessert which will put me over by less than 200 cal.

Lunch with friends, celebration for my upcomming 50th (next week) and my daughters 15th (tomorrow).

Should be back on track tomorrow as should be dry enough to walk as normal before work. Flying interstate again on Tuesday, but organised to be home for my daughters birthday.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for June 17 is side lunges ()

3 sets
    • First set 10 or 15 each leg (if 10 is too easy continue to 15).
    • Second set 6 or 9 each leg.
    • Third set 5 or 8 each leg.
  • westray16
    westray16 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    June 16
    Exercise Yes 12k steps
    Calories Yes
    Tracking Yes

@LesIckaBod Sounds very impressive to have the almonds to nail your goal. Well done!!
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    @westray16 I'll take my NSVs where I can get them :)

Good for you on keeping up your steps!
  • brunchowl
    brunchowl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    FINALLY got the whoosh I was waiting for! The calories don’t lie.

User ID: Brunchowl
    June week 4
    Weigh in day Monday
    Last week: 171
    This week: 167.4
  • westray16
    Options
    Congratulations @brunchowl well done!!
  • westray16
    Options
    Username westray16
    June week 4
    Weigh in day Monday
    Last week 188 lbs
    This week 187 lbs
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    June Week 4
    Weigh in: Monday
    Last week: 196.3
    This week: 194.9

Congrats @brunchowl on your whoosh! Way to go, @westray16 on the continued progress!
  • brunchowl
    brunchowl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks @westray16 and @LesIckaBod ! You guys killed it this week too!!
  • craigo3154
    Options
    brunchowl wrote: »
    FINALLY got the whoosh I was waiting for! The calories don’t lie.

User ID: Brunchowl
    June week 4
    Weigh in day Monday
    Last week: 171
    This week: 167.4

@brunchowl. Awesome. Well done.

Just takes the faith to hang in there. Finally the body does get the memo.

Expect it to plateau for a while while the body works out the fine details. However you should find size steadily decreasing.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    westray16 wrote: »
    Username westray16
    June week 4
    Weigh in day Monday
    Last week 188 lbs
    This week 187 lbs
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    June Week 4
    Weigh in: Monday
    Last week: 196.3
    This week: 194.9

Congrats @brunchowl on your whoosh! Way to go, @westray16 on the continued progress!

Great work @westray16. and @LesIckaBod. You guys are doing fabulous this month.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    June 18
    Exercised?: Yes. 5km walk in 37 mins (Hills).
    Calories?: Yes

Daughters birthday today. She had a good day. Even had some friends over for dinner (which was unexpected).

Still kept to budget even with a piece of birthday cake.

Nice to get back to regular schedule (little rain today). But off interstate early tomorrow morning.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for June 18 is side planks. ()

2 sets
    • First set 15s, 30s each side, wait 2 mins
    • Second set 15s, 30s each side.
  • ruthiebryan2922
    ruthiebryan2922 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    June week 4
    Weigh in day: Monday
    Last week: 254.5
    This week: 252
  • westray16
    Options
    Well done @LesIckaBod - a great loss!
  • craigo3154
    Options
    June 19
    Exercised?: Yes. 3km walk in 26 mins (North Sydney Hills).

In Sydney again. Sporadic rain, so no bridge walk tonight.

Still got some walking in between showers.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for June 19 is push ups

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 60% of the number you did in the first set (half, then another 10%), wait 2 mins
    • Third set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    June 18

@craigo3154 or anyone who might know: if push-ups from the knees are still too difficult, is it still worthwhile to just do the negative portion only? I follow online workout videos for beginners that include both wall push-ups and floor, but for the floor, if I break my elbows to 90 degrees I can only push back up once or twice with good form, even from the knees -- after that, I just do the negative portion as slowly as possible. Is there value to doing this, or should I just move to the wall and work down to counters, stair steps, etc so that I always have the "up" portion of the movement?
  • westray16
    Options
    18 June
    Exercised Yes 13k steps during day
    Calories Yes
    Tracked Yes
  • craigo3154
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    June 18

@craigo3154 or anyone who might know: if push-ups from the knees are still too difficult, is it still worthwhile to just do the negative portion only? I follow online workout videos for beginners that include both wall push-ups and floor, but for the floor, if I break my elbows to 90 degrees I can only push back up once or twice with good form, even from the knees -- after that, I just do the negative portion as slowly as possible. Is there value to doing this, or should I just move to the wall and work down to counters, stair steps, etc so that I always have the "up" portion of the movement?

@LesIckaBod. With push-ups you build up VERY slowly. There is advantage in doing the negative only (and only a few negatives), but only once you can do no more positives.

A muscle needs to be fatigued to grow in strength. Doing negatives alone will usually not build enough fatigue to get a positive gain.

I'd suggest doing as many positives as you can (even if it is only 1 or 2 - from the knees) until you cannot do another. Do 2 negatives, then stop for 2 minutes (rest) and repeat this twice. And that is all you do with push-ups for those 2 days. Rest is not do another exercise, nor active recovery, rest is do no other exercise and just lie on the floor.

Because with this method you are pushing to failure, once every 2 days is sufficient. The interval between is to allow the body to rebuild stronger. The reason for 3 sets (and by the 3rd you may initially not even get one positive) is to ensure the muscles you are strengthening is completely fatigued.

This is the HIIT (high intensity interval training) way to increase tricep strength (which is the primary muscle in push-ups). Push ups also use the chest, shoulders and abs.

One of the problem with workout videos is that they do not tailor to your level of condition or any injury you may need to work around. They assume that you have a base level of overall condition that you are essentially injury free. They will slowly raise the base level of conditioning, but if you have a particular weakness they can avoid or damage that area.

Hope this helps.

• craigo3154
    Options
    June 20
    Exercised?: Yes. 9km walk in 75 mins (Harbour Bridge).

Not raining tonight so got to do my now usual walk. Watched a cruise ship pull out from Circular Quay. Those ships are huge.

Even with city streets, traffic lights and other pedestrians I still manage 8min/km (or just under 13mins/mile).

Well under calories for the day, especially with the walking.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for June 19 is push ups

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 60% of the number you did in the first set (half, then another 10%), wait 2 mins
    • Third set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
  • westray16
    Options
    June 19
    Exercise yes 12k steps
    Tracking yes
    Calories no. Went astray on the evening. Started nibbling the crisps and biscuits. About 500 calories over.
This discussion has been closed.