Summer of Sleep

Options

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017, @Cookiesm1 and @77tes, well done all of you!

The light blocking mask is something I’ve been thinking about.

6 hours 35 minutes for me last night. Truncated into two halves since my husband ( a cop) had a late shift and didn’t get home until 3:30 am. Often I sleep through it, but this time the dogs decided a more vocal welcome home was in order.

Going for 7 tonight....
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Slept 6:49. 3 hrs deep, 3 hrs light sleep, 49 min restless. Not bad. Slept with minimal clothing for hot flashes and it worked.
  • Bethebestmeforme
    Bethebestmeforme Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I slept 6 hours and 38 minutes with 21 minutes of restlessness. I definitely didn't feel as good as I did after 8 hours!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,904 Member
    Options
    5 hours and 59 minutes. I really didn't get to sleep before midnight even though I got to bed by 10:30. Sunday night is usually an early to bed night, but I attended a concert (Brahm's Requiem- which was glorious!), so I was just too keyed up to sleep.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,031 Member
    Options
    I think I slept 1:15-7. Looking into ways to record sleep so I have better data.... I know I can solve this.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. Last night's sleep is 5 hr 35 min with 56 minutes restless. I was shocked that I did not sleep 8 hrs. I felt like I was asleep for many hours. Today I feel rested. Yesterday I slept more and felt like I had not slept.
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The sun comes creeping in my window as it rises, about 4:40 this week and wakes me. I know it’s the natural wake to wake but I would like longer. I’m going to invest in an eye mask.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I think I slept 1:15-7. Looking into ways to record sleep so I have better data.... I know I can solve this.

Having a recording of your nightly sleep helps greatly, @MadisonMolly2017. It gives you patterns and insight. I’m a big believer that what is measured can be improved. I know you can solve this too.
  • themedalist
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    This is interesting. Last night's sleep is 5 hr 35 min with 56 minutes restless. I was shocked that I did not sleep 8 hrs. I felt like I was asleep for many hours. Today I feel rested. Yesterday I slept more and felt like I had not slept.

Sometimes, for reasons that I can’t explain, my Fitbit doesn’t record my sleep correctly. If you feel great that’s terrific, @PinkyPan1!
  • themedalist
    Options
    The sun comes creeping in my window as it rises, about 4:40 this week and wakes me. I know it’s the natural wake to wake but I would like longer. I’m going to invest in an eye mask.

The abundant light in summer can be an issue, @truelypinkthing. I have dark curtains that work really well.
  • themedalist
    Options
    6 hours 40 minutes last night. Not 7, but not 5 hours either. It’s been several weeks since I’ve had a sub 6 hours night’s sleep and that’s made a real difference in how I feel. Still, there is ample room for improvement. I’ve got to roll back the bedtime creep.
  • Bethebestmeforme
    Bethebestmeforme Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Last night I slept 7 hours and 54 minutes with 14 minutes of restlessness
  • PinkyPan1
    Options
    Last night 7 hrs 49 min and 33 min restless. I so needed it. I am feeling good this morning. I turned off the TV and I rolled out my yoga mat and I did a few stretches and then I listened to a sleep story on Calm. I'm going to do the same thing tonight.
  • 77tes
    Options
    8 hours and 5 minutes! YAY!
  • PinkyPan1
    Options
    5 hrs and 48 mins with 48 minutes restless. So in other words 5 hours. UGH!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    5 hours 6 minute. 1hr 6 minutes deep sleep, 4 hrs light sleep. I can feel it.
  • 77tes
    Options
    7 hours and 4 minutes. I'm feeling a bit frustrated because I have the time to sleep in during the summer, but the heat means that I'm restless much of the night. And the problem is, I feel like a limp rag in the summer when I could be enjoying more activity. In the winter, I'm more energized while clocking fewer hours in bed. ACK!!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    We are all different, but I’m not adhering to the no screens before bedtime suggestion. I would if using my iPad led me to web surf, but it doesn’t. I’m using it to do my nightly mini crossword puzzle, part of my pre-bedtime routine and then I turn on the Calm app Sleep Stories, which for me is a soothing and relaxing way to drift off to sleep. @PackerFanInGB had asked about Sleep Stories. Yes, they are available in the free version, but not a wide selection. The premium version has a deep reservoir of stories. And Calm has a sense of humor. Their newest Sleep Story is entitled “Once Upon a GDPR” a 30 minute reading of excerpts of the European Union’s Global Data Protection Regulations that recently went into effect. 30 minutes of data protection clauses and sub clauses should put anyone to sleep.

Thank you for the info!

For all of you who listen to white noise apps or the Calm Sleep Stories app, do you play it out loud from your phone or tablet, or do you listen through earbuds or headphones? Currently, I listen to a podcast called Great Detectives, which is a collection of old detective radio shows, to help me fall asleep. I listen from my iPad with ear buds. I have issues with the ear buds getting caught in blankets or being just plain uncomfortable because I fall asleep with them in and then roll over...

I don't want to bother my husband by playing them out loud, but it seems like there must be a better way?

Any insight would be appreciated!

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Sunday, 6/10/18 - Slept 8H 8M / 1H 35M awake, 1H 9M REM, 6H 25M light sleep, 34M deep sleep. Was exhausted all day. Was up late getting some alone time, reading after DH went to bed

Monday, 6/11/2018 - Slept 6H 31M / 1H 25M awake, 16min REM, 5H 8m Light, 1H 7m Deep. (11:01p - 6:57) Was exhausted all day. Eyes were drooping at work trying to stay awake around 2pm.

Tues, 6/12/2018 - Slept 6H 52m / 1H 32m awake, 36m REM, 5H 15m Light and 1H 1m Deep (10:24 - 6:48)

Wed, 6/13/2018 - Slept 6H 20m / 1H 23m awake, 5m REM, 5H 34m Light, 41m Deep (12:17 a.m. - 8:00 a.m.) For only have 5 minutes of REM sleep, I felt pretty good today. Maybe because I worked from home today and was able to go at my own pace?

Tonight, I plan to go to bed in about 15 minutes. I will read today's chapter or page in some of my inspirational books and write in my gratitude journal (5 things I'm grateful for today). Then I will read for a little while while I listen to the sounds of a thunderstorm on my iPad. Hopefully, this will make me sleepy earlier than last night. I really would like to be sleeping by 10:00, but I think like I said earlier, nighttime after DH is sleeping is my only time alone and I almost always end up sitting up and just reading. Tonight, my goal is to be sleeping by 10:30.