Replies

• caitlynns727
    caitlynns727 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    June 28
    Exercised?: Yes - 2 mile run and walk after
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Also completed the daily strength challenge!
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    June 28
    Exercised?: Yes - 2 mile run and walk after

Also completed the daily strength challenge!

Awesome. Well done.

It's doing a little each day that will make the biggest difference. :)
  • craigo3154
    Options
    eevang wrote: »
    Hi, all! I'm Elise, a mid-twenties English teacher living in Va with Aspen, my maltese mix furbaby. I’ve been a part of this team since January.

I'm not traditionally a fan of exercise, but I am now addicted to it. I keep pushing myself at the gym and have recently started to run on the treadmill for short sprints. I started small with the optional challenges (you’ll learn about them soon if you aren’t already familiar with them) and have built up my strength ever since.

I am very committed to tracking my calories and keeping under my calorie goal. I began my weight loss journey October 30 and have lost about 45 pounds to date. I've been using HealthyWage and DietBet to keep on track and have realized that I needed the tangible benefits of winning money to stay committed. I've tried weight loss and tracking before and never made it past a month or ten pounds.

My message to others is to push through the plateaus. I spent a month dancing around 196 pounds while doing everything right. However, the pounds have come off fairly easily since then.

I try to stay fairly active on these threads. I think it keeps me in the right (growth) mindset! I’m so happy to see new and returning faces!! Looks like we will have a great month.

@eevang. Welcome back Elise.

You had a good month last month (2.8% down). With continued focus, this will continue.

As you know weight loss is never linear. However, keep doing the right things and the scale eventually gets the memo (it's a bit slow at times :) - not very bright).

You may have heard me say this before, but size is the best indicator, rather than weight. Weight follows water. Water ebbs and flows like the tide and is accumulated mostly in the extremities. Most people vary by up to 3 lbs per day on water alone. Size moves gradually, but consistently. Measuring the core (chest, waist, hips) should show a more consistent pattern than weight.

Look forward to hearing more from you (and having less of you), this month. :)
  • ahelgers10
    ahelgers10 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    The last couple days I have tracked, stayed under my goal, as well as got in my exercise.
  • susanbenita
    susanbenita Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone,

Excited to be back for the July challenge which is my third month.

I'm 54 years old, 5'6' and trying to lose about 40lbs. I was 181.2 at my last official weigh-in.

I've recently added some home weight-training/bodyweight strengthening exercise.
    My goal this month is to be more consistent with staying under calorie goal and getting into the regular habit of exercise. I love to walk and have lovely countryside nearby but I know I need to work on my strength and flexibility.

I am 7 months post partial knee-replacement and 6 years post spinal discectomy. If anyone else is facing a similar situation I'm happy to share my experiences.

Since my last weigh-in the scale has shown a 2lb gain but hopefully that is mostly water due to the new strenth-training routine. My waist size reduced 1/2" this last month.

Let's have a great month!
  • craigo3154
    Options
    June 29
    Exercised?: Yes. 3km walking in North Sydney.

3km over lunch then walk to the station and flight home. Still over 10,000 steps.

Looking forward to going out flying tomorrow.

Will also find out what interstate has been doing to my weight (not good I suspect).

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for June 29 is push ups

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 60% of the number you did in the first set (half, then another 10%), wait 2 mins
    • Third set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)

• craigo3154
    Options
    Hi, everyone,

Excited to be back for the July challenge which is my third month.

I'm 54 years old, 5'6' and trying to lose about 40lbs. I was 181.2 at my last official weigh-in.

I've recently added some home weight-training/bodyweight strengthening exercise.
    My goal this month is to be more consistent with staying under calorie goal and getting into the regular habit of exercise. I love to walk and have lovely countryside nearby but I know I need to work on my strength and flexibility.

I am 7 months post partial knee-replacement and 6 years post spinal discectomy. If anyone else is facing a similar situation I'm happy to share my experiences.

Since my last weigh-in the scale has shown a 2lb gain but hopefully that is mostly water due to the new strenth-training routine. My waist size reduced 1/2" this last month.

Let's have a great month!

@susanbenita. Welcome back.

Last month was a good month, you managed a 1.8% overall reduction which is pretty good. The 1/2" waist reduction is the real tell tale sign though. Size will move consistently where weight can fluctuate up to 3 lbs a day (with water).

All the best for the coming month.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    ahelgers10 wrote: »
    The last couple days I have tracked, stayed under my goal, as well as got in my exercise.

@ahelgers10. Awesome. Great going. Consistent small steps will get you there more that occasional big efforts.
  • doverlyk
    doverlyk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I keep forgetting to log on and post daily! However, I have exercised, stayed under my calorie goal, and tracked everyday this week.
  • klmac8
    klmac8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, this is my first challenge in a long time! I did one about a year and a half ago and then I got pregnant. My little guy is 6 months old and its time to stop eating for 2! :) I am excited to be here! I have a 12 day streak of logging everything and have worked out 10 of those 12 days! on my way to workout right now!! just not outside... tooooo hot! Feel free to add me I love the accountability!
  • caitlynns727
    caitlynns727 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    June 29
    Exercised?: Yes - 3 mile walk and landscaping

Completed the daily strength challenge - only did knee push-ups, but I still got all 3 sets done!
  • jenfett1
    jenfett1 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    June 29
    Exercised?: Yes. Over 10k steps. Mowed the lawn in 90 degree heat(Lots of sweat!)

It's been a great first week. Steps increasing each day. Tracked all food each day, and food choices got better throughout the week.

NSV for me today was NOT celebrating and rewarding myself for passing my CNA state board exams with food! This is a big step for me in developing a healthy relationship with food. I instead celebrated with yard work that gave me a great workout and feeling of accomplishment that was far more satisfying than a fatty dinner.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Username: craigo3154
    Weigh in week: Week 5 (and starting weight for July)
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Week's Weight: (62.3kg) 137.3
    Todays Weight: (62.1kg) 136.9

Unable to weigh in Wednesday as away all week. First chance was Saturday morning.

Looks like while travelling I need to eat more.

Weight still going down while travelling.

For anyone that is new to Gutbusters this month just a note on my weigh ins. I am not part of the teams results. I am actively trying NOT to lose weight, but maintain. As such, my weigh ins are optional. I choose to post a weigh in so that others can see I am still keeping a similar focus in maintenance as I was when losing weight.

I am a 50yo male, 5"9' (175cm), Current BMI 20.2 and BF% round 6% (dangerously low for non-athlete/body builder).

In fact I am too low at the moment and trying to slowly increase (but travel is hampering this). My habits are to eat low gluten (which is low in processed carbs), high protein and still do daily exercise that I enjoy (usually walking). My habits make maintenance mostly automatic, but I still need to keep focused on what I am doing as going by "feel" does not work for me.
  • susanbenita
    susanbenita Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    June 29th

Exercise: was at 8.5k steps before my fitbit battery ran out. Had a few more hours left at work so I guess over 10k
    Calories: yes
    tracked: yes

@eevang - well done for getting straight back on track the same day - you made a great choice to have a healthy dinner and I bet you felt much better for it today. Even your 'blip' was a healthier choice (low-calorie ice-cream) so you are more in control these days than you think. ;)
  • craigo3154
    Options
    eevang wrote: »
    Today was...not great. First time I “broke” in a long time. ...

It’s odd. When I make unhealthy choices, I have a moment where I’m like “this is it. I’m back to where I was before” because weight loss is very much a mental battle. ...

... At 220 pounds I ate a significantly healthier diet and paid a lot of attention to my body and how it was feeling. But no one knew that. They didn’t comment until I had lost 20 pounds.

I know I’m going to get over my negative moment because of experience. I’ve had these moments before, will have them again, and I will get through them and back on track every time. ....

But I guess the point of this long, rambling post is to acknowledge that making a healthy lifestyle change is a battle of the mind. The weight does not reflect who I am. If I give up today, I will be that unhealthy woman tomorrow, even if I won’t look it for quite some time. This is why you can’t diet for awhile and then quit. It has to be a lifestyle change or it won’t last. And if I get back on track tomorrow, I’ll be far healthier than I was today—even if I look the same. Weight loss is a day by day thing where it takes hundreds of decisions to make a significant change. I find this heartening since it means today’s lapse of judgement is just a blip. One decision won’t wreck all the work I’ve done.

I also wanted to share this so that people will know they aren’t alone. I feel confident that these moments happen to many of us. I’ve lost 45 pounds since October, and I have had many of these moments. ....

When I see people who were doing a great job disappear from MFP (and who were still far from their goals), I often wonder what happened? A family emergency? Work crises? I would guess that they often stop after a bad day where they just didn’t want to see just how far over calories they went. So I went ahead and ate a light and healthy dinner, tracked my calories for the day, and spilled my guts on this forum.

@eevang. Thank you so much for sharing. This has some very important messages about the misconceptions people have about weight loss.
    1. You are not your weight.
    2. It needs to be a lifestyle change not a diet.
    3. One bad day does not undo all the good work that has been done before.
    4. Every one has bad days. How you progress from them is the important thing.

Some really great thing from all this I see:
    1. You have already lost a SIGNIFICANT amount of weight to date.
    2. You have already changed your habits and lifestyle and recognise that this is the path to success.
    3. Unlike depression, even in the dark times you can see there will be light again.

Feel free to vent/rant here any time. It helps both you and others. Glad to have you along.
  • emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm Emma, 35 and living in London, UK. I've been a part of this challenge and the Gutbusters team since October last year and in that time have gone from 229lbs to 185lbs (heaviest was 235), and I guarantee that this group has been an important part of my loss and building my fitness. I first joined MFP in 2011 at 210lbs, had a great run and got down to 179lbs by August 2012. I kept most of the weight off for around 18 months but the stress of a very challenging job and general life stuff saw me creep up to 235lbs. I am lucky this time to have the best motivation in the world - I'm getting married on 1st September and am determined to get down to below my 179lb achievement, at the moment I'm on track to do that and it's so much to do with the support of Team Gutbusters.

I've also learned an awful lot through this group about what works for me in terms of nutrition, exercise routine and the importance of having a healthy relationship with that number on the scale - at the moment I'm weighing in daily with Happy Scale and it's really helping me keep focused, but had I done that at the start of my journey every fluctuation would have been really bad for my mind set. The Gutbusters are an incredibly supportive and motivating group, shout out as always to the awesome @craigo3154 for his fantastic moderation and support!

Great to see so many new faces and hi again to the returning Gutbusters. We did an amazing job in June, let's make July even better!
  • emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Username: emmclean
    Weigh in week: Week 5 (and starting weight for July)
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Previous Week's Weight: 184.8
    Todays Weight: 185.6

Just a normal fluctuation I think, I've been sitting at 185-186 all week, eating under my calories and drinking plenty of water so the 184.8 last week was possibly a bit of a fluke and less than accurate!

Got myself back in the gym yesterday and did a mix of free weights and cardio, really feeling it today, I'm stiff as a board! That's what happens when you take two weeks off...
  • craigo3154
    Options
    June 30
    Exercised?: Yes. 9.5km walking in 75 mins (Hills).

Sporadic rain in the morning so quad flying cancelled for the day. Went walking in the afternoon. Chose the most difficult tracks for the 9+km.

Better weather expected tomorrow, so plan to quad fly tomorrow.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for June 30 is lunges ()

3 sets
    • First set 10 or 15 each leg (if 10 is too easy continue to 15).
    • Second set 6 or 9 each leg.
    • Third set 5 or 8 each leg.
  • ginjennie
    ginjennie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm Jennie and currently living in London, UK and new to the challenge and looking forward to it. I have been on heath journey for alomst two years now and so far lost just over 70 pounds. At present I am stuck in a bit of a plateau but I am exercising daily now.
This discussion has been closed.