July 8
    Exercise:No
    Tracking:No
    Calories:yes
  • ginjennie
    ginjennie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    July 6
    Exercise:Yes walking only 14000 step target achieved just over 15000 steps.
    Tracking:No
    Calories:No over

July 7
    Exercise: Yes went for a long walk just under 9 miles
    Tracking: yes
    Calories: yes

July 8
    Exercise: step count only, hit my 14000 step target
    Tracking: yes
    Calories: no
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    jenfett1 wrote: »
    Username: jenfett1
    Weigh in day: Sunday
    Week 2
    Previous weight: 296.7lbs
    Today’s weight: 298.1lbs

I worked so hard this past week and not going to lie, I wanted to break my scale this morning. I know why it's up today, nothing I could do about it. I know I've made lots of progress by how I feel and look. I know I just have to keep pushing and the scale will catch up. It's just frustrating as hell. Sorry team, but I will push as hard as I can for a great number next week.

@jenfett1. No need to apologise. This is not unusual with weight loss even when doing everything right. And it is as frustrating as all hell.

Just keep doing what you know to be right (ie. eat at a calorie deficit - everything else is a bonus). You don't need to push any harder next week.

The most successful weight maintenance is the one that becomes automatic. Re-programming your habits so that food selection is in keeping with what you require (and not excess). Also getting some daily activity to keep your brain and body active (use it or lose it). Daily activity can be walking, housework, shopping, gardening, etc... Anything that gets you moving. Does not have to be Gym or "exercise" (I haven't been to a gym in over 5 years. I lost almost 1/3 of my body weight last year (April {90kg} - October {65kg}) - and am keeping it off).

Keep doing what you know works and I'm sure the scale will soon get the memo.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    @craigo3154 Is your current travel schedule your normal routine, or is it unusually busy? I hope you too have a good flight, and that maintenance phase works better on this trip! (Totally envious of inadvertent weight loss right now, but I could see how that could be annoying if you don't mean for it to happen!)
    @LesIckaBod. Current travel schedule is to support a project that is due to finish mid next month. Work travel gets old very quickly. You quickly miss the comforts of home, also when you get home you rush around completing stuff knowing that after the weekend you are gone again. You end up having little time to relax.

The habits I have developed leave me struggling to maintain a calorie surplus (most naturally occurring low gluten foods are filling and not calorie dense - my preference for water or black tea as beverage means I take in zero calories drinking). Couple this with a daily activity to keep the body and brain working and it just makes it all the harder.

Sure I could eat all the "wrong" type of foods (processed carbohydrate), but then the weight goes on in the wrong places (ie. visceral fat), and I don't feel as good (gluten makes me feel "sluggish" and in smallish doses I tend to burn off sugar).

I would wish that all the members of team Gutbusters had my problem (entrenched good habits/eating preferences - weight low enough that you need to be concerned with further reductions). Our modern westernised society encourages us to over-eat non satiating food and it is a real struggle to get out of that mindset. The governments subsidising of the production chain of long-shelf life calorie dense food makes the this food cheap. Where as the food that is of most benefit to us is expensive.

I'll put the soap box away now. :)
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Week 2 July
    Previous Weight: 190.2
    Current Weight: 188

The loss is good, and I knew last night's dinner probably wouldn't undue all my progress. But I really wish I hadn't eaten my kid's mac and cheese after he took my soup! Maybe we just don't order mac and cheese for anyone anymore....

Anyway, according to my records, I may be heading into two weeks of lower TDEE (even with daily activity factored in - I've kept to the same fitness plan for months now). My plan is to keep a tight track on calories in this week and see how that affects loss over the week. I think I'll drop today's post-macaroni boost pretty easily if I stay on track, and we'll see if I can get more loss beyond that.
    craigo3154 wrote: »

I would wish that all the members of team Gutbusters had my problem (entrenched good habits/eating preferences - weight low enough that you need to be concerned with further reductions). Our modern westernised society encourages us to over-eat non satiating food and it is a real struggle to get out of that mindset. The governments subsidising of the production chain of long-shelf life calorie dense food makes the this food cheap. Where as the food that is of most benefit to us is expensive.

I hear you on this. I keep looking around at people wondering, how did we all do this to ourselves? But the answer is really pretty obvious, and the solution is, too ... but it really is difficult to get into the right mindset.

Regarding your maintenance, I've been wondering whether you keep nuts or packets of nut butter on you for extra calories. I'm sure you've thought about this, so I was curious what your research about these choices had to say about them.

• mthomas0228
    mthomas0228 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Username: mthomas0228
    Weigh in week: July Week 2
    Weigh in day: Monday
    Previous Week's weight: 165.1
    Today's Weight: 162.3

Had a big whoosh over the weekend! Down 2.8 lbs from last week
  • doverlyk
    doverlyk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Username: DoverlyK
    Previous Week's weight: 237.2
    Today's Weight: 235.4
  • craigo3154
    Options
    July 9
    Exercised?: Yes. 6km walk in North Sydney.
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Back interstate (again).

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for July 09 is side planks. ()

2 sets
    • First set 15s, 30s each side, wait 2 mins
    • Second set 15s, 30s each side.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    Week 2 July
    Previous Weight: 190.2
    Current Weight: 188

The loss is good, and I knew last night's dinner probably wouldn't undue all my progress. But I really wish I hadn't eaten my kid's mac and cheese after he took my soup! Maybe we just don't order mac and cheese for anyone anymore....

Anyway, according to my records, I may be heading into two weeks of lower TDEE (even with daily activity factored in - I've kept to the same fitness plan for months now). My plan is to keep a tight track on calories in this week and see how that affects loss over the week. I think I'll drop today's post-macaroni boost pretty easily if I stay on track, and we'll see if I can get more loss beyond that.
    craigo3154 wrote: »

I hear you on this. I keep looking around at people wondering, how did we all do this to ourselves? But the answer is really pretty obvious, and the solution is, too ... but it really is difficult to get into the right mindset.

Regarding your maintenance, I've been wondering whether you keep nuts or packets of nut butter on you for extra calories. I'm sure you've thought about this, so I was curious what your research about these choices had to say about them.

@LesIckaBod. Great work. Nice to see you in the 180's now.

As you go down in weight, your TDEE also goes down (less to carry around). Also as you do particular exercise, you get better and more efficient at it and it burns less calories. Tracking input and average weight will give you average TDEE and you can adjust accordingly to suit your goals.

I find mindset so important to good living. Sometimes it takes small successes to convince us that larger ones are possible. Only once we believe something is possible, then can it be achieved.

In answer to your question, I do carry protein bars with me (low carb). These are my extra calories if I need them. Nuts are a good source as well. The natural fats are energy rich and not too filling. Just have to make sure they are not too heavily salted (as the extra sodium can cause water retention). I'd also recommend carrying them in pre-portioned amounts. 30 grams of nuts is not very much but does have quite a few calories.

Nut butter usually needs something to spread it on. Bread, toast, cookies and biscuits are not part of my usual eating (as these can have more calories than the nut butter - and my GF preference keeps me from these anyway). Carrot or celery works well. Portion control is the key for this.

The good thing about fats is that they are metabolised as mono-, bi- and tri-glycerides. They do not spike insulin, nor are they readily converted to fat in the body. Fat has been wrongly vilified for years. A good diet should have fats. In fact to reverse type 2 diabetes, fat is a key component in allowing this to occur.

The main "bad" fat is trans fats. They interrupt the body's ability to regulate LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol). Trans fats are mainly from hydrolysed oils (flying food in oil). Most natural fats are really good for you (unsaturated or saturated fats).
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Username: eevang
    Weigh-in week: Week 2
    Weigh-in day: Monday
    Previous week's weight: 173.6
    Current weight: 173

Hmmm...not quite as much as I hoped/expected. However, I know I’ve been pretty good with keeping under calories this week, and I did some new strength training workouts recently (which can inflate weight initially), so I’m going to trust the process and hopefully see a bigger drop next week.
  • caitlynns727
    caitlynns727 Posts: 80 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    July 8
    Exercise: No
    Tracked: No
    Calories: No

July 9:
    Exercise: Yes - 1 hr arc trainer and lifting
    Tracked: Yes
    Calories: Yes

This weekend I went a little off plan, but I also kept portions in mind and didn't do so bad! I was only up .8 from before the weekend, and with all the alcohol and fried food consumed I can assume some of that is water retention. I'm pretty happy with that! I paced myself and got smaller portions of everything than I would have in the past and switched over to lower calorie drinks (think Michelob Ultra instead of margaritas). So good to see small changes really do have such a big impact!
  • luvirishgrls
    luvirishgrls Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Username: luvirishgrls
    Weigh in day: Tuesday
    Previous Week's weight: 161.8
    Today's Weight: 160.8
  • brunchowl
    brunchowl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    User ID: brunchowl
    July week 2
    Last week: 166.2
    This week: 168.4

A lot of family festivities this week, trying to get back in the "zone!"
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    July 9
    Exercise: Yes
    Nut butter usually needs something to spread it on. Bread, toast, cookies and biscuits are not part of my usual eating (as these can have more calories than the nut butter - and my GF preference keeps me from these anyway). Carrot or celery works well. Portion control is the key for this.

@craigo3154 Guess you're not a spoonful of peanut butter straight from the jar kind of guy!

eevang wrote: »

Hmmm...not quite as much as I hoped/expected. However, I know I’ve been pretty good with keeping under calories this week, and I did some new strength training workouts recently (which can inflate weight initially), so I’m going to trust the process and hopefully see a bigger drop next week.

@eevang: I'm always impressed by your ability to trust in the process and to hold steady to your plan. I hope you see a bigger drop next week, since it's always nice to see the scale's report, but even if you don't, I'm certain that you're closer to your ultimate goal in ways that the scale can't measure. Your progress helps inspire me, so thanks for that. :smile:

• cjscoey
    cjscoey Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    July 9
    Exercise:no
    Tracking:yes

July 10
    Exercise:no
    Tracking:yes
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Thanks @LesIckaBod

I use these posts to reflect on my experiences and to understand how I feel. Being in touch with my emotions is a big part of my journey to a healthier lifestyle. I’m so glad my posts can help someone else as well!

I think it takes time to learn to be kind to ourselves. I remember thinking before this journey began that I was too kind too myself—that I didn’t hold myself accountable. But I wasn’t being kind. I was punishing myself mentally for my food “transgressions” and feeling terrible guilt. Which became a part of a cycle.

By posting here, I remind myself to be kind to myself and reinforce that kindness.

I actually had two great days (a particularly healthy balance of both food and fitness) despite the disappointing weigh in. It really is possible to break the cycle! It just takes patience and kindness.

I also took a peek at the scale today, and I do think a nice drop is in my future! :)

Edited to add: For me there is a huge connection between “trusting the process” and being kind to myself. 9 months ago, not seeing an expected weight loss would’ve made me decide “I screwed up” & “This is my fault” and I’d start that negative cycle. Now I kind of accept it and look forward to the good things in my future. Because I deserve them and I know they are coming.
  • caitlynns727
    caitlynns727 Posts: 80 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    User ID: caitlynns727
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    July - Week 2
    Last week: 187.6
    This week: 185.6

July 10
    Exercise: No

Took an impromptu rest day yesterday because I felt so exhausted for some reason. Other than that feeling great!
  • inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Username: inshapeCK
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Week's weight: 146.6 pounds
    Today's Weight: 146.7 pounds

UP 0.1 POUNDS

Think I have hit a bit of a plateau. DOE! :(
    I did well the end of May to the middle of June but since then I am mostly going up and when I go down it's minimal.
    Thankfully I have also only been going up a minimal amount but don't want any more ups unless it's my spirits going up!!!!!!

Need to re-lose 0.6 pounds to get back to 146.1 pounds which was my weight a month ago.

Good news though is that I met a friend today that I hadn't seen in 5 months as she'd been too busy and the first thing she said after I came into the restaurant and she saw me was, "Did you lose weight?" and I said yes but I wasn't sure how much since I'd seen her last I just knew that I had lost 23 pounds over the last 2 years so that's what I told her but it made me feel good and I was so happy that someone noticed! Plus, when I came home I looked up the date I last saw her and my weight then and since February 6th, 5 months ago, I am down 9.2 pounds and that is awesome!
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    July 10
    Exercise: Yes

July 11
    Exercise: No, off day
    Tracked: Yes, after the fact

Chugging along.