September 2018 Walk Challenge

texasgardnr
texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
WELCOME to all walkers!

The September Walk Challenge starts soon, so now is the time to be thinking about our new monthly challenge goals!

Having Leslie's, or other walking DVDs, to pop in the player continues to be a great alternative to walking outdoors, which for some of us may still feel like summer B) . For those who will be soon enjoying the onset of cooler weather, walking or hiking outdoors might well be a pleasant alternative to the DVDs, especially for those who enjoy getting their miles or minutes outdoors, and have the opportunity to do so, as we move closer to the wonderful sights, scents, tastes... and of course the amazing colors, of Autumn.

This group is open to any and all walkers. The majority of us use Leslie Sansone Walk At Home DVD workouts, as well as those great walks or hikes outside on the trails or pathways that are available to us, or a walk in our neighborhood, and on the treadmill, as well as other Walking DVDs. All of these many options count toward our miles and minutes. However you get your walk in, come on in and join us! Post your miles or minutes that you have walked, however you did it... it is all good!

We are a happy, supportive group, and I promise that joining this walk challenge will motivate, challenge, as well as inspire you!

Set your goal for how many miles or minutes that you want to walk, indoors or out, this month. This is your own personal goal :star:. Post your results daily, weekly, or whenever you like.

If you find this challenge in the middle of the month it doesn't matter which day of the month that you join in. Just set your goals to reflect what you want to walk for the remaining days in the month. You are always welcome :) !
If you are new to the group please feel free to start today so that by the end of the month you will be that much closer to your health goals. It is never too late to join in

It is always fun to read which DVD, whether Leslie or another instructor, that you used. Or whatever form your walk took, whether outdoors or on the treadmill or anything in between. We all could use some new inspiration sometimes, or inquiring minds sometimes just want to know . So please share if you would care to :p .

Come on in and let us start walking the Monthly Walk Challenge together. I know that I say this each month but I am truly grateful for each one of our precious walkers who continue to inspire and motivate mile by mile, and step by step, each month.

We are always happy to see our long time faithful walking friends join us for yet another amazing month together, and we are awaiting the opportunity to welcome newcomers to this month's Walk Challenge!

And now... let us lace up those walking shoes and get some water... as we begin to walk into September 2018!

Walk... walk....walk :laugh:

texasgardnr :flowerforyou:

Replies

• sfhappy
    sfhappy Posts: 59 Member
    Hi, I would like to join the September Walk Challenge. I am not always motivated to go for a walk or even watch an exercise video. So, I am hoping this month will be different. My goal is to walk at least 1/2 hour every day. So that would mean 15 hours in the month. Here goes!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    @sfhappy, welcome to the September Walk Challenge!
    You have an awesome goal! You will feel more motivated and healthier by the end of the month!

Cheering you on.....

texasgardnr :flowerforyou:
  • Deeder522
    Deeder522 Posts: 1,094 Member
    edited September 2018
    I'm in for 105 miles for September
    Apple Watch Challenge: Complete 13 workouts of 15 minutes or more.
    Did 4 Fast Miles with Leslie and friends this AM. Although my watch only registered it as 3.12 miles :neutral:

Special Apple Challenge completed. Today only:
    xb0i7wmq8rca.png
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,589 Member
    Hello Everyone,

Welcome, sfhappy!

Deeder, Great workout, you are off to a great start with your challenge.

Last month I injured my right hip (how I'm not sure-might have been too much kettle bell) but it is getting better. I'm going for 5 days a week of at least 30 minutes of some form of exercise.

Happy September!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    I'm in for 120 miles.

8.89/120

8.89 mikles golfing this morning.
  • sfhappy
    sfhappy Posts: 59 Member
    Goal: 15 Hours
    9/1 36 min./1.7 mi.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,484 Member
    I'm back and even though I had too much going on in August to make that goal, I am in MI now and am getting back on track. Since I have so many classes this semester, I am setting the computer timer for 45 minutes and then clicking to a Leslie 1 mile walk so I do not sit for more than 45 minutes. I am hoping that increases my mileage and scares some of these "new pounds" off! :grumble: My husband also made me a box to elevate my computer so I can stand more :+1: . My goal for this month is 3 miles each day or 90 miles MINIMUM for September.

September Goal: 3miles/ day or 90 miles for the month.

9/1-WAH: Walk 15-1 mile=1.0 mile total
    -Vivofit tracked 1.5 miles= 2.5 miles total

Pinky I am so sorry for your loss of Boots. I am a cat lady and I know how hard it is to have to make this decision. I have done it several times and it never gets easier. My heart goes out to you. :heartbreak:

Deeder My Vivofit never tracks the miles Leslie says on any of the walks either. I know she says the miles are beats per minute, but they do not equate to the same miles for me. I think it is because my Vivofit is set for my pace when I actually walk and Leslie's beats and my stride do not match. I am always about 1/2 mile under her stated mileage. But, since the vivofit records my daily mileage, I do not really worry about it.

Annof B Baby that hip! We do not recover as fast as we used to! :laugh:

sfhapy Welcome to the group!

Walk Strong Everyone! :bigsmile:
  • PinkyPan1
    19.01/120
    10.12 miles golfing this morning.
  • AnnofB
    Goal: 30 minutes of some activity, 5 days a week.
    9/2 ... 2 miles of 5 Boosted Miles
  • AnnofB
    Thanks Brenda. Went for a long drive with DH today and hip is hurting again. It felt fine while I did a couple of mile with Leslie today. Hmmm, guess I should give up sitting down. :p
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Looking forward to seeing the personal September challenges! Welcome to all new members!

I'm going for 145 miles this month. My endurance has vastly improved since committing to the Walk at Home miles in March. I am proud to be a walker!! :sunglasses:

Sept 1: 5 Boosted Miles
    Sept 2: 5 Fat Burning Miles

10 of 145 miles
  • Deeder522
    2 Miracle Miles this AM.
    We're stuck in a pattern or heat, humidity and rain storms. Walking inside will be my jam this week.
  • zichab

9/2-WAH: Walk 15-1 mile=3.5 miles total
    -Vivofit tracked 1.5 miles=5.0 miles total

OK, I am all prepped for the week so I am increasing my miles today. This 2.5 miles stuff has to go. :grumble:

Deeder Oh my gosh! What is it with this MI weather! My air barely runs and then BOOM it is running like crazy. Yesterday, it was turning on every few minutes and I thought something was wrong with it, but when I opened the door to check on it, I was hit with a massive blast of wet heat!!! Good grief it felt like a sauna!!! The thunder storms have been outrageous and a daily occurrence. I think I am ready for some snow!!!! :noway:

AnnofB I have heard that sitting for a long time is painful when you have a hip injury, so it kind of makes sense that moving with Leslie might be helpful. As bizarre as it might sound, standing while doing all of my computer work for my classes this weekend really did make me feel much better. I was shocked at how long I could stand. I am sure it was because my mind was focused on what I was doing and not how tired my legs might get, but honestly, they really did not get tired at all. These "Sit Less" people are really spot on! :+1:

• AnnofB
    zichab wrote: »

OK, I am all prepped for the week so I am increasing my miles today. This 2.5 miles stuff has to go. :grumble:

AnnofB I have heard that sitting for a long time is painful when you have a hip injury, so it kind of makes sense that moving with Leslie might be helpful. As bizarre as it might sound, standing while doing all of my computer work for my classes this weekend really did make me feel much better. I was shocked at how long I could stand. I am sure it was because my mind was focused on what I was doing and not how tired my legs might get, but honestly, they really did not get tired at all. These "Sit Less" people are really spot on! :+1:

Good work, YOU!

I am beginning to believe the Sit Less people are right too. I've heard it called "sitting disease." It's a bit scary when you think about it. But, it's also a call to get up. :)
  • AnnofB
    9/2 ... 2 miles of 5 Boosted Miles
    9/3 ... 2 miles of Walk On 15 Minute Fast Blasts and a 30 minute strength workout, paying particular attention to not using my glutes, ha-ha.
  • PinkyPan1
    28.51/120

9.50 miles golfing this morning.
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    September 3: 4 Miles Walk Slim, 4 Fast Miles

Interestingly, my Fitbit logged this as elliptical today. :smirk:

14 of 145 miles
  • AnnofB
    edited September 2018
    9/2 ... 32 minutes2 miles of 5 Boosted Miles
    9/3 ... 33 minutes 2 miles of Walk On 15 Minute Fast Blasts and a 30 minute strength workout.
    9/4 ... 46 minutes 3 miles of 3 Fast and Fun Miles

VeggieGirl, lol about your Fitbit.
  • zichab

9/3-WAH: 2 mile Power Walk-7.0 miles total
    -vivofit tracked 1.5 miles=8.5 miles total
    9/4-WAH:2 mile Burn Body Fat=10.5 total miles

• Deeder522
    1 Mile from 3 Fast Miles.

For the fun of things, I checked out "Country Heat" from the Library. Gave the first routine a look through and saw our boy Nick right there in the front. :)