September Monthly Challenge: This September I Will...

Options

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,002 Member
    Options
    Wow! @Orphia , your drawing is AMAZING!!! Daily drawing is a great challenge. I follow someone of Facebook who does this, but haven't taken the plunge myself.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    Good morning! I have a few notes for y’all.
    @Heidijens123, @themedalist, @77tes, Your consistent approach is making for consistent progress. None of that start/stop stuff for you! Congrats!!!
    @Orphia, Your drawing is beautiful! I hope you continue honing your talent. I’m sure it’s very rewarding to see the results of your efforts.
    @PackerFanInGB, Surgery takes a lot out of you. You’ll get back into your routine when you’re ready. It’s good you notice how important it is.
    @ everyone! Have a beautiful hump-day and make the most of it!

Thanks so much for posting this, @nebslp! Much appreciated!

And how is your e-decluttering going? You’ve made big strides already!
  • themedalist
    Options
    I wasn't able to do the Calm app meditation for last night, so that was a bummer! Since I've been on medical leave from work, I noticed I have not been followig my normal routines at all. It is really taking a toll on me and not in a good way! I don't remember the last time I slept that badly. I was up obsessing all night last night.

I need to follow my normal routine no matter if I'm working or not. Why did it take me almost 4 weeks to figure that out? Holy crow... :s

This is not at all surprising, @PackerFanInGB. Our habits are triggered by cues and the environment we are typically in. When our routines and environment changes, which is what is happening to you with your medical leave, our habits can fall apart. Which is why some people can give up a bad habit such as smoking when they are on vacation, only to resume smoking when they go back home. They are returning to the same environment that is giving them the same cues and triggers as before.

Hang in there and focus on your recovery. Normalizing your days as much as possible is a great idea! When your days return to normal, I think many of your old, good habits will return as well.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,132 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I’m sleeping better & am thinking that my drawing/doodling/learning how to sketch figures & faces as bedtime nears ishelping me ease in to sleep :))))))

Husband McGyver’d the broken piece on printer & we printed first piece last night!

@Orphia A lovely drawing!! I may need to dust off my iPad!! So fun!

Looking at a few books of famous illustrations books made me realize the many, many styles ...and freed me up to create my own!! It’s also helping realize my current body shape!!

One even uses my favorite roller pens & incorporates calligraphic text, which I love!
    vryc44asxmu6.jpeg

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 , I LoVe it! There is so much creativity in your sketch. My eyes kept traveling from one area to another😍
  • MadisonMolly2017
    edited September 2018
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 , I LoVe it! There is so much creativity in your sketch. My eyes kept traveling from one area to another😍

@nebslp Oh, this one is by a famous designer!!! But I’m inspired, and doing some of my own! I do work to keep the eye moving in mine tho. Interesting - no face!

Here’s another image from a pro designer with a very different style!

3r94m1v221cn.jpeg

• Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Day 13 Step class today and I was able to complete the whole class without having to stop for any of my own mini breaks! I can tell my endurance is getting much better.
  • nebslp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 I guess I should have read the last sentence of your post better! 😆. Still absolutely love the first one. Looks like you’ve found some good inspiration. It makes me happy to look at different quilt designs so I understand how enjoyable looking at fashion sketches is to you. They are really intriguing.
    @Heidijens123 Wow! I bet not having to stop for mini-breaks feels awesome! You are kickin’ it! The body is an amazing thing, isn’t it!?!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @nebslp
    I so love your replies & ideas! Thank you!
    Yes, the first image is so compelling! I love illustration with text, especially artistic text!

I didn’t know you were a quilter? Would you like to share a photo of one?

How is your grocery stocking, work outs, hills, and journaling going?

I hope you have a fantastic day! 🎶
  • nebslp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 . I don’t call myself a quilter but I have made a few easy ones. I made rag quilts for all of my girls over the past few years. And about a dozen more, but only in my mind😏 I’m working on a Snow Days quilt and have 6 of the blocks embroidered. One of my HabitBull habits is needlework 5 days a week and so far I’m ahead of schedule. I am annoyed to say my September goals are not being accomplished. I need to figure out why I’m so resistant to doing the things that I want to do. Makes no sense but there it is🙃 Maybe if I journaled...
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @nebslp
    I, too, have had resistance at times (particularly the art) falling back on decluttering, MFP, exercise, and nutrition instead...

I’ve been learning to set very easy little goals. Today, I spent 15 mins reviewing notes from an art workshop I took two years ago & re-found & read some ideas I had for a book/short story that I might write in future. I think sometimes I put too many rules and too high standards on myself. Learning to “count” the small things :)
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Fantastic sketches and work pals! I love it. Thanks for sharing.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Day 13 Step class today and I was able to complete the whole class without having to stop for any of my own mini breaks! I can tell my endurance is getting much better.

Outstanding, @Heidijens123! Isn’t the body amazing? Use it more and it just gets better, stronger, faster, and healthier. Well done!
  • themedalist
    Options
    @nebslp
    I, too, have had resistance at times (particularly the art) falling back on decluttering, MFP, exercise, and nutrition instead...

I’ve been learning to set very easy little goals. Today, I spent 15 mins reviewing notes from an art workshop I took two years ago & re-found & read some ideas I had for a book/short story that I might write in future. I think sometimes I put too many rules and too high standards on myself. Learning to “count” the small things :)

I could not agree with you more, @MadisonMolly2017!! It’s the time doable, 10 to 20 minute habits that have stuck with me and improved my life. The more ambitious, “I’ll go to the gym every day for an hour” intentions get chucked by the wayside.

To anyone who struggling with making progress on their goal for September, is your goal something you can do in 10 or 15 minutes? And if it’s not, how can you shrink the scope of your goal to make it something you can do in that amount of time. The trick is to get started, to get in motion, and lay down the practice of doing the habit everyday.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    No class today so I went on a bike ride. I did the same route as I did on Wed and I cut 8 minutes off my time and I only had to get off and push my bike up hill 1 time instead of the 3 I had to do last time. There are 4 steep up hill climbs and I long steepish climb. I feel so accomplished as I was really fighting myself to go this morning after a long afternoon moving sprinkler pipe on the farm yesterday.

Good for you! I'm not only happy for you, but I feel so proud of you for your dedication! This gives me hope that with little steps, I can get there too someday! :smile:
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    To anyone who struggling with making progress on their goal for September, is your goal something you can do in 10 or 15 minutes? And if it’s not, how can you shrink the scope of your goal to make it something you can do in that amount of time. The trick is to get started, to get in motion, and lay down the practice of doing the habit everyday.

I've not been able to get meditation in every night, mainly because I cannot seem to get 10 to 15 minutes of QUIET before bed! When I go to bed early, thinking I can sneak it in quickly before my husband comes in, he follows me to bed to watch TV in the bedroom. (Two nights ago he actually came into the room and turned on the bright overhead light AND the TV and refilled his medication containers. Really? Can't see me here with my eyes shut and my earplugs in? Ugh!) If I stay up and wait for him to go to bed, so that I can meditate in the living room in the quiet, he stays up extra late and I end up just going to bed and falling asleep. Also, one of my husband's brothers has been in town for a week and has been staying in our spare room, so that room is out. Everything just feels catawampus lately. I'm really craving routine... :confounded:

On a GOOD note, I have been putting in earplugs and playing a white noise app called Rain, and reading out of my inspirational books instead. I have resumed writing in my gratitude journal at night also. So although I'm not using Calm app and meditating, I am still getting some quiet reflective time which helps me sleep better.

• PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Hi! I've been drawing every day as per my goal for this challenge.

I wanted to share today's drawing which I'm really happy with.

ke2k4g9e9a7z.jpeg
    2eyeg4y03ggb.jpeg

This is FANTASTIC! You are really talented! If I tried to do that, it would look like one of those stick figures bumper stickers you see in car windows! LOL!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 I guess I should have read the last sentence of your post better! 😆. Still absolutely love the first one. Looks like you’ve found some good inspiration. It makes me happy to look at different quilt designs so I understand how enjoyable looking at fashion sketches is to you. They are really intriguing.
    @Heidijens123 Wow! I bet not having to stop for mini-breaks feels awesome! You are kickin’ it! The body is an amazing thing, isn’t it!?!

You are a woman after my own heart! I want to be a quilter SO BAD! I can spend HOURS online looking at quilts on Pinterest and watching YouTube videos of Therese Down Under and Jenny @ Missouri Quilt Co. I have subscriptions to about 5 different quilting magazines too. I have made a few baby quilts, but I'm terrible! I'm currently trying to make one for a friend I met on MFP on another thread, actually. Her poor baby will probably graduate from high school by the time I finish it! I chuckled out loud at your comment about how many quilts you have made in your mind. I'm right there with you! :mrgreen: