SoulSister's OMAD journey

Hello,

Getting inspired by the interesting threads I decided to start my own.

In short I have been doing OMAD for 98 days now (wow I just realized its almost 100 days!), and other various Intermittent Fasting regimens before that for about 5 months. Largely I find it Ok, although its mentally hard at times, when 'temporary insanity' kicks in! :0)

So far I have got rid of 37 pounds (that is 17 kgs). Although it seems a lot, some days are not easy, and also we always want more and more progress. Silly really. When I started my BMI was 29.9 (just at the obese range which was one of my main motivation to lose weight) now im at 25.1 ish. That is progress. Looking forward to 24.9 though!! ;-)

I do have multiple goals, currently at 173 pounds (had a looong plateau at 177 pounds for about 5 weeks - thank God for Omad Revolution's videos otherwise I'm sure I would have given up or jumped ship). So I have mini goals at about every 5 pounds, but my end goal is really at around the 140 mark. Haven't been that thin for about 8 years so not even sure if its even possible. But I can see on mfp that it is for some! That is just so encouraging. So I was just saying hi here and want to also write my progress on a weekly/bi-weekly level, as its nice to see at other threads.

15/09/18
SW: 210 pounds
CW: 173 pounds
GW: 140 pounds

Additional goal of the week: To work towards to weekly weigh in (instead of daily), I'm doing this incrementally, now I weigh at every 3 days. It already feels less stressful on a level but I'm worried whether this will impact my eating control. Hmmm.. Will see.

Replies

• EstrangedTiger
    EstrangedTiger Posts: 543 Member
    Welcome!

Seems you are doing very well. Other than weight loss, what other improvements are you seeing and feeling?
  • SoulSisterSoulBrother
    SoulSisterSoulBrother Posts: 220 Member
    edited September 2018
    Hello

This is a great question. What I wanted to point out beforehand is that IF is not a cure for anything and I don’t want to imply that it is, it’s just a great tool for self control and weight management and these are just my very personal experiences since I started losing weight.

1) Better sleep
    I have had major sleep disruption for years. I did go to the doctor and had tests done but nothing ever was diagnosed or improved. This problem has reduced significantly. This improvement alone is worth it!
    2) IBS and stomach acid problems got much better
    This was the other reason I initially wanted to lose weight. I was on acid medication every now and then and I hated it. Since my weight loss journey I have not needed the medication. Long may this last.
    3) Knee problems improved.
    Due to the weight reduction my knee is much happier. I used to have serious problems due to sprains etc. and it was impacting my life.
    4) Back aches improved.
    I used to have phantom lower back aches and neck aches that seem to have disappeared. Again I think there is less pressure on my bones, muscles and joints due to the weight loss.
    5) Better skin.
    I have nicer and younger looking skin. Less breakouts.
    6) Happier outlook and being ‘high’ sometimes.
    This doesn’t happen always but sometimes it does. I feel high in spirits and appreciate and notice little things like the sky and funny looking clouds or how the leaves play in the sunlight – its autumn so this is really nice. Also I have a more positive outlook. I notice when myself or others complain :0) Overall I feel happier and when there is that high feeling that is awesome, I feel powerful and think that everything is possible.
    7) Relationship with hunger.
    I realized that hunger is not the enemy. It is powerful but when I feel it I think, well now this is when I lose weight, so I link hunger to weight loss, which makes it easier (well at least some of the time).
    8) Better food choices.
    Well this is huge. I never cared much about what I ate, I ate whatever without giving nutrition any thought. I’m not saying I really look at this every day but I noticed that I need to eat more protein and also I have cravings which vary with time. Rice, potato, beans, salmon, yoghurt, apples, green salad you name it. But it’s not really the junk foods I’m thinking here, but ‘normal’ foods.
    9) Eating less on splurge days.
    I was on an event and used my splurge day for it but after a while I just could not eat anymore. I actually ate half the food on the dinner plate and I even skipped desert altogether. I just didn’t want it. :0)
    10) Change of taste.
    This is similar to point 8 – foods that I used to love don’t taste as good, but foods I was meh about I seriously like.
    11) Being centered and focused.
    Sometimes I have this feeling of being so focused and centered. I drive and I feel like my consciousness is like a laser beam. Such an awesome feeling, a bit hard to explain.
    12) Double chin going away and can wear smaller clothes.
    Well this ties in with the weight loss, nevertheless I wanted to mention it as it’s just so nice! I can wear clothes I couldn't for years.
    13) Feeling mentally fresh.
    This is again hard to explain, it has to do with the mental clarity. I don’t feel as clouded mind-wise in a fasted state sometimes. Weird but cool. Doesn’t last very long for me unfortunately!

This sounds like a super positive list but I have really bad days as well, when I have no energy, I’m grumpy, or my mood shifts and think I can’t do this and there is no point. Those times I just do the routine anyway but it’s not all positive all the time. It can be quite hard actually.
  • DarthWaderMT
    DarthWaderMT Posts: 231 Member
    wow, you are doing great! congrats!!
  • dkayingram
    dkayingram Posts: 737 Member
    @SoulSisterSoulBrother welcome to the group! You sound like you are doing awesome and are having great results. All of your points are things I have experienced as well. The good and the bad! Stay strong, and stick with the plan, and if you derail, get right back on the OMAD train!

Best of luck to you!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Welcome :)
  • jadepearl
    jadepearl Posts: 3,111 Member
    Hi there and a warm welcome☺
    This group is awesome!
  • SoulSisterSoulBrother
    SoulSisterSoulBrother Posts: 220 Member
    edited September 2018
    Thank you for the warm welcome.

Some of my observations this week.

I am now more in peace in the mornings, I found that it was hard not to have breakfast at the beginning. My mind went into a loop and all i could think of was food and lunchtime (my mealtime). I was watching the clock like a hawk pretty much all morning! Crazy! I always asked myself whether I'm actually hungry and I hardly ever was, so I knew it's psychological craving. After a while, this now seems more manageable, and sometimes I forget about it altogether.

It was not a problem for me not to have dinner mentally and I actually like that I can do more in the evenings. I mean for example in terms of any stretching etc. - never understood when people said they exercise or stretch in the evening how they can do it - now I know.

Did I mention I lost the 40 pounds so far with 0 exercise?
    I maybe start something when I feel like it!! :0))

What a revelation that you don't have to exercise to lose weight.
    One lady who complimented on my weight-loss, immediately started to beat herself up that - yes, she said to me, i should also go to the gym more etc etc. I didn't know what to say..

This time losing weight is so different. I'm just loving it! I mean I can eat whatever I want, I don't have to feel deprived, don't have to force myself to some expensive gym and workout hours on end. And more, all this actually makes sense to me, i find it so simple and logical. Its almost like finding a key to a door. :0)

Food wise I never limited myself in terms of food groups as I have done that in the past, and just gained all the weight back, and also felt terrible and very limited. Now I eat whatever I want as long as its one meal a day. I'm still working on the one plate rule but not being strict with that to be honest. I noticed that I do better when I eat a bit more calories - which I roughly count when i feel like it. Yesterday I had home made carbonara spaghetti and today ill have 2 burgers with 2 burger buns. ;-) Tomorrow.. I'll think about that later. I can also cook in the evenings and not go crazy that I want to eat then. I know I will eat it at my next lunchtime.

Well, today is a good day.
  • dkayingram
    You are doing great! I certainly know what you mean, when I first started this, I was like this is way too easy. Sometimes we try to make it more complicated than it is ---and that never works. I am not one to deprive myself or limit my food groups because I know long term I won't stick with it. And being from the south ---you got to have some carbs in your life :)!
  • I am not sure how to edit the existing posts so i will have to copy the progress here

15/09 - 173 pounds
    29/09 - 170.8 pounds

This was a good 2 weeks, will see what happens after the cheat day.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Hello

This is a great question. What I wanted to point out beforehand is that IF is not a cure for anything and I don’t want to imply that it is, it’s just a great tool for self control and weight management and these are just my very personal experiences since I started losing weight.

1) Better sleep
    I have had major sleep disruption for years. I did go to the doctor and had tests done but nothing ever was diagnosed or improved. This problem has reduced significantly. This improvement alone is worth it!
    This was the other reason I initially wanted to lose weight. I was on acid medication every now and then and I hated it. Since my weight loss journey I have not needed the medication. Long may this last.
    Due to the weight reduction my knee is much happier. I used to have serious problems due to sprains etc. and it was impacting my life.
    4) Back aches improved.
    I used to have phantom lower back aches and neck aches that seem to have disappeared. Again I think there is less pressure on my bones, muscles and joints due to the weight loss.
    5) Better skin.
    This doesn’t happen always but sometimes it does. I feel high in spirits and appreciate and notice little things like the sky and funny looking clouds or how the leaves play in the sunlight – its autumn so this is really nice. Also I have a more positive outlook. I notice when myself or others complain :0) Overall I feel happier and when there is that high feeling that is awesome, I feel powerful and think that everything is possible.
    I realized that hunger is not the enemy. It is powerful but when I feel it I think, well now this is when I lose weight, so I link hunger to weight loss, which makes it easier (well at least some of the time).
    8) Better food choices.
    Well this is huge. I never cared much about what I ate, I ate whatever without giving nutrition any thought. I’m not saying I really look at this every day but I noticed that I need to eat more protein and also I have cravings which vary with time. Rice, potato, beans, salmon, yoghurt, apples, green salad you name it. But it’s not really the junk foods I’m thinking here, but ‘normal’ foods.
    I was on an event and used my splurge day for it but after a while I just could not eat anymore. I actually ate half the food on the dinner plate and I even skipped desert altogether. I just didn’t want it. :0)
    10) Change of taste.
    This is similar to point 8 – foods that I used to love don’t taste as good, but foods I was meh about I seriously like.
    Sometimes I have this feeling of being so focused and centered. I drive and I feel like my consciousness is like a laser beam. Such an awesome feeling, a bit hard to explain.
    Well this ties in with the weight loss, nevertheless I wanted to mention it as it’s just so nice! I can wear clothes I couldn't for years.
    This is again hard to explain, it has to do with the mental clarity. I don’t feel as clouded mind-wise in a fasted state sometimes. Weird but cool. Doesn’t last very long for me unfortunately!

This sounds like a super positive list but I have really bad days as well, when I have no energy, I’m grumpy, or my mood shifts and think I can’t do this and there is no point. Those times I just do the routine anyway but it’s not all positive all the time. It can be quite hard actually.

Welcome, SoulSister!

Nice list!
  • dkayingram
    Very nice drop!!!
  • EstrangedTiger
    EstrangedTiger Posts: 543 Member
    Hello

1) Better sleep
    4) Back aches improved.
    5) Better skin.
    8) Better food choices.
    10) Change of taste.

Thank you for sharing. I’m feeling similar benefits.

I sum up as feeling 25 again, at age 45.

• jadepearl
    You are doing awesome! Keep up the good work!
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    Thank you for the list! I will be reading it many times over. You are doing wonderfully on OMAD :)
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    KUTGW :)

• OK so I have to say the past couple of days were up and down.

I wasn't really in the zone so to speak. I realized that some days I eat too much or just too much of the 'bad' carbs at once (I can feel it on the insulin response after the meal) so I'm now trying to reduce my intake a little and follow the one plate rule (apart from green salads that can be on the side).

Also I plan to go back for a couple of weeks to cooking/preparing food for myself instead of buying it on the day, well at least most of the time. I will see whether that does something with my moods which were really all over the place. Sometimes I was very happy with the progress others I was not.

I had to re-watch the 'stop creating weight loss demons' video which is spot on - as usual. It's like having a coach! :0) My current 'demons' are - my goal is too far away - and - I have not made enough progress. At least I recognize these unhealthy mind patterns, I guess that's something..

I am doing well with the weighing every 3 days now, so I will change this to 2 fixed days a week, let's say Wednesdays and Saturdays from next week on. Once that is established I will go for once a week only. I see the benefit in this method as it is much less stressful. Why should we weigh daily, it really is a bit obsessive.

I also was thinking about a 14th benefit which I forgot.
    I used to have terrible skin rashes especially after I ate. It was very visible (my face and arms had red patches and people kept asking why) and was also quite uncomfortable. I read that it has to do with the liver being overtaxed? Well I'm not saying its 100% gone, but its gone 80%!

Yesterday I put a lot of my big clothes away (will bin them or give them away shortly) as they didn't fit me anymore and also I found some hidden jeans that I bought ca 6 years ago and they fit, to be honest they were a bit loose already! That was a great moment :0)

I found out about the concept of being small-medium-large framed and according to the websites I am small framed so my ideal weight range is 129-142 pounds. Wow, that sounds low for a 5'9 woman! I shall nevertheless attempt it and give my opinion once I achieved it! :0)
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    Fantastic that you are self aware and working through emotions and obstacles. I need to do the same and not go through life stumbling along. Thank you for the insight.
    I looooove getting rid of big clothes! I haven't had to yet but look forward to baggy pants and shirts. I think I see the change in my tops first. Can't wait! Wow, your skin is clearing up. Amazing what changes go on inside of us. Continued success to you :)
  • jadepearl
    I love it when I have to put away my bigger clothes as that's one HUGE sign that I have loss weight :) If you don't mind, may I know which website are you talking about? I am a shortie, only 5'2 but as for small or med frame, not too sure. However, I am dying to get down to 110lbs. Good luck for this week!
  • I used superskinnyme.com, but i'm sure there are others on a quick search.
    If you are small framed they mention 108-121lbs for a small frame for a 5'2. I don't know how accurate is this, but interesting.
  • catuccifranco08
    catuccifranco08 Posts: 218 Member
    👍❤