TEAM: Gutbusters (December)

Options

Replies

• cjscoey
    cjscoey Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry, I was away at our family holiday celebration and was no where near a scale, which is probably a good thing. Will be back on track tomorrow!
  • Stimpy56
    Stimpy56 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    December 10
    Exercised?: Yes (30 Elliptical & 25 Treadmill)
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    December 11
    Exercised. No
    Calories. Yes
    Tracked. Yes
    Did a bit of walking taking my mother to her hospital appointment.
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday, folks! We have no Tuesday weighers, but feel free to share your answer to the Question of the Week if you haven't already done so!
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Dec 10
    Exercise: Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Tracked: Yes
  • ShareASmile
    ShareASmile Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    Good Morning Team,

My name is Julissa I live in Southern California. I have been off the wagon for a long time. I lost 60 lbs and due to not tracking managed to gain back 35. I need to go back to basics and be accountable. Day one is today. Have a great week!

@californiajuls. Your story is similar to a lot of others.

To lose weight and keep it off, is not a case of getting back on the wagon. It is working out what direction the wagons go and making that your direction.

I'll explain.

A lot get into the cycle of diet, lose weight, stop diet, gain weight, diet, lose weight. stop diet. gain weight. Diet = on wagon. Stop diet = off wagon.

The problem with this is that the diet is unsustainable. You NEED to come off it to go back to a normal lifestyle. However, as soon as you do, the weight comes back.

The solution is not to diet.

"But, I'll just keep gaining" I hear you cry.

The solution is making changes in your lifestyle that are sustainable that keep you headed in the right direction (slowly losing till you plateau out at goal weight/size).

Let me repeat: It's not diet, it's lifestyle. Diet's stop. Lifestyle changes remain indefinitely.

The lifestyle changes need to include; family, going out, social functions, work situations, stress, etc... The lifestyle changes need to be simple so they can become habit (anything too hard and it falls away over time).

If you don't like going to the gym. Don't go to the gym (I have not been to a gym in years).
    Gym memberships are only good if you use them. Having one DOES NOT mean you will {continue to} use it. If it is hard to get to, or not of interest you will discontinue in time and you are back where you started.

My lifestyle changes since 200lbs (I am now 140lbs and have been for over a year):
    1. No eating between meals (except social occasions, and then only tastes).
    2. No calorie beverage between meals (water or black tea)
    3. No sugar in tea (started when losing weight, got sweet re-sensitised and never went back - also makes getting tea REAL easy, Hot water and teabag :) )
    4. Occasional soda (with meal) instead of as regular drink. On the rare occasion it's between meals or social occasion, it's diet soda.
    5. Preference low gluten or gluten free foods (through self experimentation found I was gluten sensitive. Gluten makes me tired and sluggish. Worth it for me not to have gluten and have energy). Also low-gluten foods are often high satiety foods (make you feel full) and you generally eat less overall calories {the big exception to this is pure sugar, so you can eat gluten free and gain weight with poor food choices}.
    6. Regular activity (usually walking). Feel so much better, thing better and have better mood when I get out and do something. Walking I can do anywhere and it's low stress and low impact. I use the walking time to listen to audio books or learn languages (German, Spanish, Japanese). This way I work my mind and my body and the time goes quickly. I look forward to my daily walking.

I hope to be sub 150lbs for a long time. Feel so much better than when I was 200lbs.

So don't worry about being on the wagon, find it's direction and find out what works for you to be able to stay on it's path. It may not be quick, but you don't get hurt, lost or stuck falling off a wagon. :)

@craigo3154 this is such a great post and I actually copied it into a word document for future reference. It seems like common sense, but sometimes we just need to be knocked on the head! Thanks again for all of your support and advice from your experience of losing weight the right way.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    December 11
    Exercised?: Yes (5km in 39 mins - hills).

Early walk. Managed to get all the daily activities done before 9:00am. This makes the rest of the day easier. Must try do that more often.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Username: craigo3154
    Weigh in week: Week 1
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Week's Weight: (64.1kg) 141.3
    Todays Weight: (62.8kg) 138.5

Gone from a little high to a little low. I try hover round 63.5kg (140lbs). Still eating and exercising to plan. Fortunately have been getting enough sleep.

Note that this is a 2.8lb change in a week while in maintenance. I have been doing almost nothing different to the previous week. Just indicates how much weight can fluctuate despite size staying almost the same.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    12sarah2015 pw 137. 1 cw 137.3
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    ycqojcqk4376.png

Imagine yourself at your goal. What do you think will be different then? Are you thinking about physical, mental, emotional, or other kinds of differences from your life today?

(Tip of the hat to @craigo3154, who asked this question several months ago -- I thought it was worth a repeat now!)

1. No one will think I'm pregnant
    2. I will be happier in photos
    3. It will feel more natural to exercise
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    ycqojcqk4376.png

Imagine yourself at your goal. What do you think will be different then? Are you thinking about physical, mental, emotional, or other kinds of differences from your life today?

(Tip of the hat to @craigo3154, who asked this question several months ago -- I thought it was worth a repeat now!)
    Clothes would look great on me.
    I wouldn't avoid photos.
    My knees would thank me.
    Would improve my cholesterol and health.
    Would feel more confident.
  • WishfulThinning18
    WishfulThinning18 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    @Wishfulthinning18 First, don't beat yourself up over maintaining, but try to look at yourself like an impartial external observer. When you feel yourself going for the ice cream sandwiches when you're not hungry, take a little bit of time to track your feelings. What's causing you to go to the food right then? Regarding being tired, are you getting enough sleep? Are you giving yourself the opportunity to sleep, or are you going to bed and feeling worried and staying up?

Do you think there are other things happening in your world right now that are affecting your mindset and ability to focus on weight loss?

Honestly... I had no idea WHY I went for them. They were just there. They've been there for the past 6 months as I have one a night so I don't feel like I'm depriving myself of all treats and I make it fit into my daily calories and have successfully done that for some time.

I work nights so sleeping during the day has always been hit and miss. I live on a busy street and a grain silo farm down the street so there has been an increase in semi truck traffic.

I always get tired of eating right about 4-5 months into it. I start to miss seafood dinners, steak dinners, drinking beer and pizza nights at pool halls on fridays... and then I just revert. Only good thing about it this time is i have maintained and not gained. That has NEVER happened. Back on track today... I'm working Christmas Eve and Day and I think we are doing something at work be it pizza or chinese. Plan is to be 100% until then.

• ryjar80
    ryjar80 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    @LesIckaBod
    I posted my weight yesterday but I don't see it in the thread

Ryjar80
    Week 2
    PW:151.2 lbs
    CW:148.6 lbs
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    December 11
    Exercised? yes, 20 minutes recumbent bike
    Calories. yes
    Tracked. yes
  • Stimpy56
    Stimpy56 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    December 11
    Exercised?: Yes (30 Elliptical / 25 Treadmill)
  • zimborunner
    zimborunner Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    December 11
    Exercised:- No
    Calories:- Yes
    Track:- yes
This discussion has been closed.