TEAM: The Big Butt Theory (January)

Options
AB0215
AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
Welcome to the Challenge new and returning teammates!! This is the conversation/weigh in thread for your Team :) Keep on losing because our first weigh ins begin THIS Sunday! I am here for you should you need anything - simply message me or tag me by putting an '@' just before my username (NO SPACES) and I will get to you asap! ~ Ashley @AB0215 or Craig @craigo3154 .

Replies

• HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    Hello, team The Big Butt Theory! Welcome to January and a special welcome to the newcomers. Please take a moment to introduce yourselves to the team and tell us a little bit about your goals for the month.

Hi, my name is Lisa and I am your captain for January. I have been with The Big Butt Theory for over a year now. I am 52, a Canadian living in Southern Ontario, married 27 years and have two grown sons. One is done school, living at home and working at the family business. The other is still in school, but completing his business degree in Germany.

Truthfully, I am really struggling right now. I just can't seem to stay at it consistently, You know what they say....consistency is key!! I am hoping that the fresh new start that a New Year provides, with all the resolutions that are made, will help me to get myself back on track. Regardless, being involved with this group helps to at least keep my head above water!! If you are struggling, it can help you, too. So, the more you interact, the more you will feel the team's support.

A little about this challenge.....it runs Sunday to Saturday. Post your weigh-in on this thread on your chosen weigh-in day. If you need to miss a weigh-in, let me know. If you forget to post a weigh-in, post as soon as you remember, up until Saturday evening. (I'd say Saturday at midnight, EDT, but I am not up that late!) Please post a weight even if you have gained. There is no judgement here, only support, and it happens to all of us at some point!! If you miss two weigh-ins, you will be removed from the month and will have to re-register for the next month if you wish to continue.

Yes, this is a weight loss challenge, but I would like you to think of it more as a support group. Sometimes, you can do all the right things, but the scale just doesn't move. If you have taken measurements you will be able to see that you are making progress, just not contributing to the team's weight loss. But we don't want you to despair, or leave, if this happens, thus the focus on the "support" aspect!

We are all here for the same reason....to lose weight and get healthy. Some days will go better than others....weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint, after all!! But with the support of this team, and some hard work, we can all make it to the finish line!

Have a great January, everyone, and in so doing, a great start to 2019!!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Hello again, team TBBT. The January challenge doesn't officially start until Sunday December 30th, but I thought I'd give you some more information so that you can be ready to jump in with both feet! Within the main weight loss challenge we have another optional, but highly recommended, challenge. It is called the Mini Ultimate Accountability Challenge, or the Mini Challenge. It is based on another MFP challenge group by the same name, or UAC.

The way it works is simple:

1. Log everything you eat that has calories in MFP.
    2. Stay inside your allotted daily calorie budget.
    3. Do at least 20 minutes of activity daily. This could be anything that gets you off the couch and being active: run, walk, cycle, swim, gardening, housework, yoga, gym, etc.
    4. Report each day on this thread (something to the effect of logged food: yes, under calories: yes, exercise: yes, and a brief description is nice)

****When you post your accountability, please put the date, or the day of the week to which you are referring. We are all in different time zones, and some people post in the evening for that day, and others post the next morning, so it gets confusing trying to decipher without a day or date. Thanks!!!*****

You get one free pass day a week (went over calories, could not log food, rest day, etc.) At the end of the week, if you have managed to be "accountable" for at least 6 of 7 days, you will be recognized on this thread as being in the Winner's Circle!

This strategy works for weight loss because it is based on CI<CO. When calories in are less than calories out, you stay inside your allotted daily calorie budget, and you will lose weight! And exercise is just good for you, plus it will burn calories and help with the calories out portion of the equation!

What's great about this challenge is that it works for everyone, as long as you are honest with yourself. There are no dietary restrictions, so you can eat whatever you like, and follow whatever plan you like. Your own daily calorie budget is set by you and MFP and you choose your own exercise and intensity of exercise! Plus it is a practice that can be carried beyond weight loss into maintenance! If you are having a bad week, a new week and a fresh start is just around the corner!

Consistency and new habits have been shown to be the keys to long term successful weight loss. Why not make the Mini Ultimate Accountability Challenge your new habit, that you do consistently!!

Week #1 for the Mini Challenge starts Sunday, December the 30th!!
  • akwilliams1085
    akwilliams1085 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello! Newbie here. I lost 30lbs from January-November in 2018 alternating between nutrisystem and just watching what I eat & getting on the treadmill. However I gained 7 back between Thanksgiving & Christmas. I started trying to do better today, the day after Christmas. I am 33, married, from IL. I would like to weigh around 170 by summer next year. I was hoping this group and challenge would keep me motivated. Look forward to meeting everyone.
  • saskicpg
    saskicpg Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new here. I am an emotional eater, and I’ve been gaining and losing pounds for the last ten years.
    Since August 2018 I’ve gained 40lbs. My goal weight is 170-180lbs.
    As I am very competitive, I hope that this challenge will help me get thinner and healthier.
    Looking forward to getting to know everyone 😁
  • mikea2g
    mikea2g Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Hi all new and old members!

My name is Mike and I have just wrapped up 5 months of effort towards my fitness goals. 3 or 4 months with this group.

Highly recommend the mini challenge. Having to report every day, for me, has been a huge motivator for doing just that little bit extra.

I started July 25th after a knee injury. It finally clicked in my head that I couldn’t just exercise my way out of my health and weight problems anymore. I had to make food the first priority. For me, this means even if I’m depressed, don’t exercise, have a busy day, I do my best to eat within calories and make healthy food choices. I always use to give up if things weren’t perfect and say I’ll start tomorrow. Not this time! :)

I’m 39, 6’4” and started at 309. Currently I’m at 247.5, so down 61.5 pounds these last 5 months. My goal weight is 225, which I’m shooting for to happen in March. At that point I’m going to focus more on recomp by eating maintenance and lifting heavier weights. I live in Florida on 2.5 acres, work from home and have 2 little girls (almost 4 and 8) that my wife and I homeschool. We all love getting outside during the winter. It’s the summer time here that is difficult to do outdoor activities. Brutal heat. It’s amazing how much less active I am during summer. For the Floridians around, winter is the sweet spot of life :)

Oh, last thing. I got a Fitbit for Christmas and am LOVING all the data! Curiously enough it says I’m burning around 4400 calories a day. I’m sure it’s off by a bit but still; wowser! :)
  • swauters
    swauters Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Good morning.
    My name is Sara. I have been overweight since 2nd grade with my weight fluctuating wildly throughout the years. Today I turn 47, am the mother of three adult kids and one almost 5 year old grandson who lives with us half-time.

I started this challenge last month and lost 5 pounds. Yesterday I went to the doctor for an annual check-up for the first time in 5 years (I don't like bad news) and I got some really bad news. I have extremely high blood pressure and was put on meds immediately, my fasting glucose level puts me in the pre-diabetic catagory, I have arthritis in my hip and knee, and may have the beginning of heart disease.

The good news is that my doctor thinks this is all weight related and WHEN I lose weight my numbers will go back to normal. 48 pounds to go. Talk about motivation!

ok.
    my username: swauters
    check in day: Friday
    January wk 1: 228
  • swauters
    Options
    my username: swauters
    check in day: Friday
    January wk 1: 228
  • swauters
    Options
    HEY GUYS!

January will be my second month here, and I'm pretty excited. I'm a big child that does well with rewards (gold stars plz!). I lost 9lbs for December, so that's pretty dang cool.

I'm a 23 year old grad student living in the land of pepperoni rolls and John Denver.
    Some info for anyone that's interested:
    5'9
    SW: 195 (Late Sept. 2018)
    CW: 169
    GW: 135

I've set myself some new workout goals for January. I want to keep working on running, so I might post my daily/weekly miles just so I have them logged somewhere. I'm aiming for 2-3 miles a day during the week, hitting at least 10 miles a week. If anyone else wants to do this, we can keep each other accountable!

Ok, wall of text over. Excited for January! Good luck everyone!

Congratulations! I saw that you were the teams big winner last month! Way to go!
  • Kclee2903
    Kclee2903 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hello All! I am new to this challenge and am really excited to restart my journey to health. I have been losing and gaining the past 10 years, but over the past 3 years I have reached an all time high. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis and Uvitis so i am currently on Humira. Exercise and activity is a challenge for me right now especially with my weight being so high. My first goal is to tackle my diet and start light exercise daily. Good luck to everyone:)
  • abowersgirl
    abowersgirl Posts: 3,409 Member
    Options
    I am Stephanie from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I am 29 y/o and this will be my fifth round with BBT.

This month I am looking to work on my mini challenge streak and try to obtain all four weeks in the winning circle :smiley:

I am currently 36 pounds down and if it wasn't for this group, i honestly believe I would not have managed to accomplish this. Now with the holidays done, I am hope to continue my downward trend and reach my goal weight within the year.
  • mikea2g
    mikea2g Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    @swauters
    Sorry to hear about the blood pressure and glucose numbers. Thankfully those are 2 things that are usually easily rectified with diet and exercise.

I was about to be put on high blood pressure medicine 1 year ago and started doing HIIT on the elliptical and eating a little less for a month and my numbers went down drastically.

Im looking forward to hearing about your success with this. You can totally change these things!
  • swauters
    Options
    mikea2g wrote: »
    @swauters
    Sorry to hear about the blood pressure and glucose numbers. Thankfully those are 2 things that are usually easily rectified with diet and exercise.

I was about to be put on high blood pressure medicine 1 year ago and started doing HIIT on the elliptical and eating a little less for a month and my numbers went down drastically.

Im looking forward to hearing about your success with this. You can totally change these things!

Thank you! I need all the support I can get. My first thought was 'at least this is something I can change'.

I stated intermittent fasting and my doctor was totally on board with that. She also recommended really lowering my carb intake, so I did some adjusting to my goal numbers on MFP.
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    @swauters, Happy Birthday, Sara!!

I am sorry that your numbers from the doctor were not good, but I am sooo glad that you went for your checkup!! Now you know what you have to do, and the good news is, that the ability to change those numbers is totally within you!!
  • grayjayyyy
    grayjayyyy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm Grace, a 27y/o female from NY. While I have never been seriously overweight, I have had an all-or-nothing/ yoyo approach to health and fitness my whole life. I finally committed myself to diet and exercise the past 8 months and got down to my goal weight of 118. It was the best shape of my life and I felt amazing but had trouble sustaining. Since Thanksgiving I have slowed my workouts and essentially abandoned my diet. I gained back most of the weight I lost and am around 130lbs. I'm feeling bloated, uncomfortable, and discouraged. I'm really beating myself up for it. I'm finding it difficult to get excited about fitness like I did 8 months ago. I have used MFP for logging food fairly consistently throughout this process but have never used the challenge or community aspects of it. I was hoping that a challenge and an e-community might be the boost I need.

My ultimate goal is 115lbs by April 1st 2019 which comes out to 5lbs/month for 3 months. 🤞🏃‍♀️
This discussion has been closed.