TEAM: The Big Butt Theory (January)

Options

Replies

• pkg1998
    pkg1998 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Mini challenge 1/20/19:

Tracking - no (typically don't on Sunday)
    Under - probably not
    Exercise - yes (35 mins treadmill)

Treadmill activity was a win yesterday since I usually don't do any formal exercise on the weekends. That's something I'm working on changing.
  • karrihowlett
    karrihowlett Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Mini challenge January 20, 2019
    Tracking: Yes
    Under:Yes
    Exercise: 60 minutes Orange Theory, 25 minutes yoga
    Water: 9 cups
  • brandi_84
    brandi_84 Posts: 1,963 Member
    Options
    Username:Brandi_84
    Week 4
    Weigh in Day: Monday
    Starting weight 186
    Week 1 Weight 188
    Week 2 :186
    Week 3: 185
    Week 4: 184
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Not off to a great start this week. Woke up feeling terrible yesterday. Barely left my couch. Only ate two meal but I went for carb loaded comfort food. I tracked and went over.
    Feeling better today but still tired and weak. We also have a wind chill of negative ten degrees today so I wont be stepping outside at all. If I get any motivation I may do a small workout at home.
  • murdog3t
    murdog3t Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    January 20
    Tracking: yes
    Calories: yes
    Exercise: yes
    60 min yoga & meditation
    Rest day / football 🏈
    Steps: 2696
    Water:88 oz
  • PhatStax69
    PhatStax69 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Jan 21
    Exercise and Calories in check.
  • ForLangston
    ForLangston Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    1/21:
    E: Taebo and Steps 6,610
    Tracking and C: Yes

• mikea2g
    mikea2g Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Have any of y’all ever done an analysis of your Fitbit (or other brand tracker)? Specifically on estimated calories burned?

I did mine from 1/1-1/20 and compared with number of calories recorded in MFP(I weigh everything religiously) and lost weight since 1/1. After breaking everything down Fitbit seems to be overestimating my calorie burn by 26%.

Some things that could throw off the numbers:
    1) my weight is having an uptick fluctuation today
    2) I’ve been gaining some muscle (I’ve read this is possible in a deficit if you begin lifting heavy after a log period of not)
    3) not a long enough timeframe to do the analysis. I’ve only had it since 12/25/18 so will have to wait for a longer period.

My thoughts are that even if #1 and #2 are correct, at most, that can account for 2 pounds. Which makes Fitbit overestimating by 18%. If I split the difference as an estimate my Fitbit is overestimating by 22% for calories burned. For me, Fitbit says my average daily burn is 4500 calories, which, when adjusted, means an average daily burn of 3510. Huge difference.

I’m adjusting how much I eat based on this. I find it interesting and just wonder if anyone else has done a break down of the numbers.
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    Mini Ultimate Accountability Challenge - January Week #2 (Sun the 6th to Sat the 12th)

Winner's Circle - 6 or 7 days:
    @heaz10 (7) - 10th week IN A ROW in the Winner's Circle!!
    @mikea2g (7) - improved on his Notable Effort to land in the Winner's Circle!!
    @GrandmaJackie (6) - 2nd week in a row in the Winner's Circle!!
    @murdog3t (6) - 2nd week in a row in the Winner's Circle!!

Notable Effort - 4 or 5 days:
    @abowersgirl (5) - another Notable Effort!!
    @karrihowlett (5) - missed out on another Winner's Circle by one day!

Attempted:
    @erikNJ (3)
    @Nicoletime4me (3)
    @ITVGuy2000 (2)
    @pkg1998 (2)
    @brandi_84 (1)
    @mickey10111 (1)
    @mommy2ajs (1)
    @Rawrbyn (1)
    @swauters (1)

We had four Winners again this week. @heaz10, @GrandmaJackie and @murdog3t were joined at the top by @mikea2g! Congratulations to all four for a fantastic week! Of note, Heather and Mike were accountable for ALL SEVEN DAYS!!
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    Results January Week #3

Team The Big Butt Theory did not have a good week! We only lost 4.7 pounds as a team, which, obviously, put us in 5th place.

Run Track Minds - 0.50%
    Flab-u-less - 0.39%
    Gutbusters - 0.26%
    Slimsons - 0.22%
    The Big Butt Theory - 0.08%

We had some Big Butts that DID have a good week. The top seven from week #3 were:

@swauters - 1.89%
    @PhatStax69 - 1.51%
    @eatingfoodles - 1.43%
    @Tracie_Lord - 1.32%
    @heaz10 - 1.22%
    @lozenger1984 - 1.20%
    @mikea2g - 0.86%

Congratulations to these seven and to all who lost weight last week!!
  • erikNJ
    Options
    @mikea2g that is exactly what I was saying to you a few weeks back. It was way over calculating and my weight loss halted as a result cause I thought I was doing much better than I actually was
  • swauters
    swauters Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Mini challenge jan 21
    Tracked yes
    Calories under
    Exercise yes
  • mikea2g
    edited January 2019
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    @mikea2g that is exactly what I was saying to you a few weeks back. It was way over calculating and my weight loss halted as a result cause I thought I was doing much better than I actually was

@erikNJ
    I’ve known it’s been inflated and haven’t eaten out of a deficit because of it. I never trusted the high numbers given. I was considering have a bit more but looks like I’m going to stay at my current intake level.

When it said I burned 5300 calories one day (it was an insane day of activity) I ate 2500 calories and only stopped because I was full. Based on my adjusted numbers I could have eaten another 700 and still been at a 1000 calorie deficit. Most days I’m between 2000-2500 consumed depending on what I’ve done that day. It always ends up at approx 1000 calorie deficit when adjusted.

I just ran the numbers to see the actual difference between reality and what the tracker says for me. And was curious if anyone else ran ten numbers and has quantitative data on it. I’m curious if mine is around average or is it an outlier.

More than anything, as I get closer to maintenance and focusing on muscle building I want to know my true maintenance calories. That’s why I ran the numbers.

Anyway, just curious of other people’s data and experience, especially ones who have ran the numbers.
  • erikNJ
    Options
    @mikea2g well no, I didn’t run all kinds of data. Sorry. I just knew it wasn’t working for me and decided to change to what worked for me
  • erikNJ
    Options
    Mini challenge
    1/21

tracked: yes
    calories: yes
    exercise: yes

Decided that I had to try getting some activity in after all, and once I did I felt great.

Sun: no
    Mon: yes
  • mikea2g
    Options
    MINI CHALLENGE
    DATE: Monday, January 21, 2019
    Logged food: Yes
    Under calories: Yes
    Exercised: Yes - 20 minute light elliptical / 5 minutes stretching / 25 minutes weight lifting / approx 40 minutes of walking
    Steps as of posting: 15,325

Small win of the day:
    Adjusted my weight lifting routine to be more sustainable...and stuck to the plan. Felt like I wasn’t doing as much as I should because i didn’t feel like death afterwards. But That’s exactly what I wanted to fix, so a win!
  • heaz10
    heaz10 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    1/21:
    Tracking: yes
    Under: yes
    Exercise: yes 35 minute walk
  • heaz10
    heaz10 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    1/21:
    Week 4 weigh in:
    PW: 227.6
    CW: 226.7
    Almost a pound...anything that is down is a win.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,899 Member
    Options
    January 21
    Tracking: ✅
    Calories: ✅
    Exercise: ✅ (Treadmill/Run/Water Jogging/Walk/YouTub/Yoga/Tai Chi)
    Steps: 20,209
    Water: 84oz
  • brandi_84
    brandi_84 Posts: 1,963 Member
    Options
    Mini Challenge
    Monday 1.21.19
    Tracked: yes
    Calories: under
    Exercise: yes
    Stretches, strength training arms
This discussion has been closed.