1252627282931»

Replies

• micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    jan110144 wrote: »
    jan110144 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone ...

I have volunteered to be the 'fitness motivator' for our group. Not exactly sure what that means, but I'm pretty sure that it does NOT mean "drill sergeant" :smiley:

To get started, I would like to hear from all of you. I have two questions for you ...

1. What role does fitness currently play in your efforts to lose weight/establish a lifestyle change?

2. What could I do in my role of "fitness motivator" that would be helpful for the group?

I thought it was only appropriate to answer the first question myself.

What role does fitness currently play in your efforts to lose weight/establish a lifestyle change?

In my case, increasing fitness was as big a motivator in starting this lifestyle change as losing weight. I am fortunate (from an exercise perspective) that riding my horse is a passion for me ... and also a great source of exercise. I ride dressage competitively (as an adult amateur). As I have moved into the upper levels, I discovered that I did not have the much needed core strength and aerobic fitness that I was going to need. Unfortunately, just riding is not enough ... so it was time to up my game in terms of off-horse exercise. The first month or so on the journey, I just focused on getting the food right. Then, I added the rowing machine to my exercise schedule. In November I added doing weights 3 days a week. Finally, in December I added pool exercises (primarily for range of motion) on the 'recovery' days after weights.

This past week, I reached goal (just short of 50 pounds in 6 months) In looking back over the progress, I realized that I really never had a plateau (I think a week with no loss was as long as I went) and averaged 1.7 pounds per month. While making the exercise changes was not about weight, I can't help but wonder if adding the additional elements over the months helped to avoid the dreaded plateau?

Going forward ... I will not be changing my exercise schedule much. I keep increasing the weights at the gym and intensity on the rowing machine. In February, I will be adding planks (Yikes!), a few balance exercises and more stretching.

Two benefits I have discovered from the exercise are definitely improved sleep and pretty much the elimination of mindless eating and binging (stress/emotional eating anyon??!). Also, at 74 I am feeling better than I have in decades and have not taken any anti-inflammatory or pain medication in months. Needless to say, this has been a wonderful experience for me and I am committed to remaining vigilant to protect it as I move into maintenance.

Your story was so inspiring. I feel like there is hope for me at 54. It is harder to lose at this age, but still possible. Great job you’ve done. 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
  • micki48
    Options
    I weigh in on Saturday. Do I put it in January for week 5 or February?
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,055 Member
    Options
    Question....I posted my weight on Monday the 28th. Do I have to post my final weight for January as of the 31st? That would be awesome if I could. I had a wonderful loss since Monday. Just wanted to check.

You just stick with your usual day (Mondays). Sorry!!! You will hang onto that loss until Monday. You will. o:)
  • jugar
    Options
    Smart_Beautiful_and_Strong
    Week 5
    Friday
    PW: 332.4
    CW: 332

POSTED and into February!
  • jugar
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    BMcC9
    Jan wk 5 (Fridays)
    PW 143.1
    CW 142.0

POSTED! Well done - and into February!
  • jugar
    Options
    micki48 wrote: »
    I weigh in on Saturday. Do I put it in January for week 5 or February?

It's for February - I'll also post it in the January spreadsheet so that everyone has a final weigh-in for week 5, but go ahead and post it in the Feb thread tomorrow. Thanks!
  • sue_01
    sue_01 Posts: 2,703 Member
    Options
    sue_01
    Friday -week 5
    PW-191.5
    CW- 190
  • jugar
    Options
    sue_01 wrote: »
    sue_01
    Friday -week 5
    PW-191.5
    CW- 190
    sue_01 wrote: »
    sue_01
    Friday -week 5
    PW-191.5
    CW- 190

POSTED - and into February!
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options
    If there is a NWI next to your name, you will be taken out of the challenge and will not be carried over to the February challenge. We would hate to lose you as a challenger. Hope to see you continue.

OVERDUE WEIGH INS -

@cccallahan - Mon - NWI
    @Karenesg - Wed
    @Blackbeautysue - Thu - NWI

DUE TODAY -

@asheetagupte7272 - Fri
    @Connie7355 - Fri
    @LTFitz89 - Fri - NWI

DUE TOMORROW -

@mari_moulin - Sat
    @me_jello - Sat - NWI
    @Micki48 - Sat
  • Connie7355
    Connie7355 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Connie7355
    Week 5
    Friday
    PW-200.2
    CW-200.2
  • Bear479
    Bear479 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It's the first time all week I'm feeling snacky and I know I'm just tired. I dont have anything really interesting to snack on. My daughter got some haribo gummies at the store but I left them in the car to avoid temptation (4 flights of stairs to get them). I guess I should just go to bed.
  • karenesg
    karenesg Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm out for a bit... hoping to jump back in for March. Best to everyone! Keep up the hard work and enjoy the results... which we all know aren't just the numbers on the scale. B)
  • mari_moulin
    Options
    I have to say i am very pleased with this. I have really upped my weight training this week and was sure to have a gain due to muscle repair but it looks like i had a small loss. I'll take it.

Username: mari_moulin
    Weigh in week: 5
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Previous weight: 171.8
    Current weight: 170.9
  • mari_moulin
    Options
    karenesg wrote: »
    I'm out for a bit... hoping to jump back in for March. Best to everyone! Keep up the hard work and enjoy the results... which we all know aren't just the numbers on the scale. B)

Hope to see you back soon Karen. Have a great February!
  • micki48
    Options
    Username: Micki48
    Weigh in week: 5
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Previous weight: 213.3
    Current weight: 213.1

Small loss. I’ll take it.
This discussion has been closed.