Nutritarian New Year!

Options
Mihani
Mihani Posts: 3,965 Member
Home already (my NYE party days are long gone, I was home at 9:00 lol) so I thought I'd get the January thread going. Looking forward to another year of hanging out with my wonderful ETL friends. <3

Carla, in case it gets lost in December's thread, be sure to update us on how Ruby is doing.

I didn't get all my prepping done but will finish tomorrow. I plan to go to the office for about half a day then I'll come home and finish preps.

Full on 6 week plan starting tomorrow for me!

Replies

• Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,338 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Joe and I stayed up until around 11 pm. The movie was over and we were tired. The only reason me made it up that late is because Joe has had the last week or so off so we've gotten into a vacation sleeping schedule.

Ruby is still miserable, but at least she doesn't have a broken toe. The vet thought that might be the case because it is so tender for her. They managed to get an x-ray to determine there's nothing broken and then got a close up look. It is a wound that got infected. She got an anti-inflammatory injection and some antibiotics for us to give her.

The croquettes, glazed carrots and merry salad were good. The carrots were a bit of a treat on the holiday menu, with fresh squeezed orange juice and some maple syrup thickened to make a glaze. Up tonight is Broccoli-Arugula Crustless Quiche. I've had one of her quiches before and remember being slightly let down at first but then enjoying it as I had it more. I am looking forward to this one.

I'm going to start cutting back on coffee slowly rather than giving it up all at once and getting the blistering migraines that go along with that. I'm starting by making 2 my limit.

You got this, Mihani! Hope you're having a great 1st day on plan.

Happy 2019!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Oh no, poor Ruby! Hopefully the antibiotics will work quickly and she'll be her old self soon. The glazed carrots sound delicious! I think I'll try some with a date syrup and cinnamon and see how they turn out. How was the quiche? I wasn't thinking about caffeine this morning and had two cups of my usual caffeinated tea, oops! After indulging in wine last night I needed it though lol. I will likely continue one cup a day and stick to herbal when I get to the office. I can't remember how many months ago I finally kicked the coffee habit for good, but it has been quite a while. I will have a cup maybe once a month if that.

Preps and cooking done. I kept it simple for this week and will do more this weekend. Have box spring mix and green and red leaf, plus baby spinach for smoothies.

B - smoothie (water, frozen blueberries, 1/4 frozen banana, tablespoon of chia seeds, dash of cinnamon and a few drops of vanilla, as much spinach as would fit in the blender)
    L - salad with tomato, chickpeas, balsamic, sunflower seeds, nooch
    D - Eat Your Greens soup, balsamic roasted mushrooms, 4 walnut halves

After prepping tonight I have peppers, roasted mushrooms and carrots to add to my salad tomorrow.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    This morning Ruby limped over to greet me instead of hopping. She is making good progress!

Nice eating and prep work, Mihani! If you have some arrowroot powder, you can use a touch of that to thicken the glaze for the carrots. I think some fresh ginger would have been an excellent add in for ours. I should make a note on the recipe before I forget.

The quiche turned out great! Even Joe who was apprehensive really enjoyed it. I think the vegan cheese sauce helped do a lot of the work as well. Next time I'd probably cut the broccoli smaller and double the amount we added. I can see doubling the recipe in the future and packing lunches with big salads and a piece of quiche.

Today I'm going to make myself go out to the studio and make up some dye stock solutions. I need to work on some of the dyeing techniques I learned before my next class on Saturday.

B - green smoothie, 2 cups coffee
    L - salad and leftover quiche
    D - Roasted Cauliflower Steaks over Holiday Rice Pilaf with Apple-Safe Tofu Sausage and Roasted Garlic Cheesy Sauce, green salad
    S - oranges. anyone else loving the Halos baby oranges? they are so good!

yesterday's quiche
    py4hz4uwi9x9.jpg
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,592 Member
    Options
    Happy Nutritarian New Year! (I love that headline!)

We had friends over for a new year's day brunch. It was our martial arts friends, so all the food was vegan but *not all ETL. I resisted the five vegan desserts. All looked great, but we had made some ETL food that was so good that I filled up on it, and then did not feel a need to indulge in sugar. I have leftover OSG Eat Your Greens Soup, some lovely salad and a Caribbean-spiced black-eyed pea stew as leftovers. Our teenager has already disposed of the leftover vegan chocolate cake and is working on the leftover vegan cheesecake, so no resistance needed there for long.

I am back to being focused on ETL. Today's plan:
    • B - my favorite smoothie (coffee, cashew milk, spinach, flax seeds, blueberries)
    • L - salad with romaine, red cabbage, little sweet tomatoes; leftover Eat Your Greens soup
    • D - steamed greens plus some leftover Caribbean black-eyed pea stew

No prepping today. It is all about eating down the ETL friendly leftovers from brunch!

Other goals for the week: daily meditation and walks or workouts at least 5 days!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Your dinner looks beautiful, Carla. Yum! How did your dyeing project go?

Great job resisting all those desserts, Austin! Wow, talk about tempting. I forgot to make black eyed peas for NY. I should have. There's a recipe I really like that I haven't made in a couple years. Think I'll try it this weekend: https://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/08/black-eyed-pea-gumbo.html

Excellent ETL day...
    B - green smoothie same as yesterday except no banana
    L - big ol' salad with veggies and bragg's/spicy mustard for dressing
    D - leftover Eat Your Greens Soup (I adore this soup), some canned Great Northern beans that I just threw in a saucepan with some spices, a wasa bread cracker, and a couple walnut halves

Day 2 no snacking/junky stuff. Two cups of caffeinated tea, but I'm not going to beat myself up over that. And it was a super stressful day. The phone rang off the hook. Apparently all our clients made a resolution to call us today.

Have some laundry going, then will try to get a little more work done, some yoga, then bed. I didn't sleep well at all last night so I don't know how much I'm going to get done tonight. I want to go to bed really early. It was all I could do to resist a nap when I got home, but that would have been asking for trouble sleeping tonight again.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Some nice ETL meals going on!

Last night's dinner was very satisfying. I ate until too full though. Next time I will try to slow down and pay more attention.

The dyeing went well, Mihani. I learned some things and will try to account for them today in my next dye pot. I can see that it is going to take some time and fiber to keep improving. I'm enjoying it.

b - pumpkin muffinsx2, coffee x2
    l - big salad w/ red wine vinaigrette, leftovers
    d - creamy mushroom bisque w/ sun-dried tomato & roasted garlic pate on toast, salad
    s- halo oranges

last night's dinner
    a69fivd1dn5l.jpg

• Mihani
    Options
    You could get a sideline going as a food photographer, Carla. Such nice presentation.

I had another good day. Skipped breakfast as I overslept, even though I went to bed at 8:00. I was really really tired after not sleeping well the prior night. I threw some oats and chia seeds in a container to eat at work but got busy as soon as I walked in the door and forgot about it. Lunch and dinner same as yesterday. I think this will be my new plan for weekdays. To have soup ready to go for the week and not have to worry about cooking. I'm getting home later and later it seems, and I just don't feel like cooking after such long days at the office. I never really get tired of salads so I'm set for lunches as long as I keep up prepping.

I think this weekend I'll make 3 or 4 different soups/stews to have ready in the freezer. I am going to make the kale and cabbage casserole also. I wonder how that would do in the freezer. Maybe I'll just freeze a small portion to test it.

Oh, and I had a very green smoothie after dinner. Loads of spinach, some frozen blueberries, a little vanilla and cinnamon, plus munched on a small handful of walnuts. I better get busy. Have some work to do tonight and I want to get my yoga on before bed.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    I like your soup plan, Mihani. We happened to have soup for our meal yesterday and it was nice to just heat and eat. This soup had tons of mushrooms and a creamy base. I forgot to take a picture, but that's probably a good thing...bland colors...mushroom soup and toast with walnut pate.

Tonight's meal would have been a bowl, but we are meeting up with friends for Thai dinner. After dinner we're going on the monthly "Art Walk" in town. Many of the downtown businesses participate by displaying local artist's work and staying open later. They have a fiber exhibit at the museum this month that I am particularly interested in.

b - dr F. blueberry oatmeal with walnuts
    l - super greens salad w/ leftovers
    d- thai tofu and veggies of some sort over rice

Here's the coming week's menu.
    rhy4fohf59nz.png

• Mihani
    Options
    Carla, the Art Walk sounds fun, and the menu this week sounds totally YUM!

Busy day, have grocery delivery coming soon. Will prep when I get home from the office tomorrow. Hoping that I can get through enough that I can bring some files home for Sunday and work here. Still trying to catch up from end of year. I can do a lot at home, but some things I need to be in the office.

B - 1/4 cantaloupe
    L - same as yesterday
    D - leftover soup (I'm going to throw some chickpeas in there), wasa cracker, green smoothie for dessert

• Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Our night out was nice. The Thai food was good (tofu and veggies over brown rice) and it wasn't raining or cold for our walk in town. The exhibit was a bit of a letdown, but the space itself was quite interesting. The entire basement was a maze of art studios with windows into common spaces and there was a large area with seating and a stage for rehearsing.

I might try to make a few things today to make the batching easier tomorrow.
    Tonight for dinner we'll have the bowl. Croquettes, tofu sausage, and rice pilaf with greens and sauce.

Hope your day at the office was nice and productive, Mihani! And hope you get to work from home tomorrow.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Decided to bail on the office at 3:00 and brought work home to do tonight and tomorrow. More than I can do in a weekend honestly, but all I can do is keep trying to make headway.

B - 1/4 cantaloupe
    L - salad and 2 wasa crackers
    D - the last of the soup with some chickpeas added, an orange, a few walnuts

I was a bit off kilter with eating today. I was still hungry after my salad at lunch so I went ahead and heated up some soup when I got home which was too early for dinner, but it's fine. If I get hungry again later I'll make a green smoothie. I wanted grapes after my soup but they were moldy and I had to throw them out. I just bought them Monday. Grrr. The orange was really good though.

Glad you had fun Carla.
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options
    Hello, fellow ETLers!

@Carla_wfpb - That menu looks delightful!

@Mihani -

I had a good first day of the weekend today. I finished off my most recent batch of OSG Eat Your Greens Soup. I'll be doing some meal prepping and cooking tomorrow.

Today's menu was tasty and healthy:
    B - smoothie of blueberries, spinach, flax seed meal, coffee, pomegranate powder (that last was an impulse buy at the health food store)
    L - steamed spinach, black eyed peas, a cup of OSG Eat Your Greens soup, 2 mandarin oranges
    S - a few apple slices and a few walnuts
    D - a pound of salad (romaine, red cabbage, campari tomatoes, celery, yellow bell pepper), creamy pumpkin dressing (Dr F recipe), side of steamed mushrooms, fruit compote for dessert (tart cherries, blueberries, cashew milk)
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hi Austin, I ate the last of my most recent batch of Eat Your Greens soup yesterday. Your day looks great and lots of variety.

My plan for today:
    B = smoothie (water, spinach, blueberries, bit of frozen banana, chia seeds, cinnamon and vanilla)
    L - big ol' salad, tangelo
    D - Dr. F's cabbage and kale casserole

I've been re-reading Eat for Health. It's more "friendly" than ETL and delves more into some of the psychological issues that cause people to struggle. I'm finding it helpful to read a bit every night after I go to bed just to reinforce what I'm doing.

Today's prep plans: chop raw veggies for salads, make lemon tahini dressing, roasted mushrooms, steamed broccoli and kale, make cabbage and kale casserole and shred up the remaining cabbage to add to salads. Shouldn't take more than an hour and a half to do it all. Plan to visit a friend mid-day, but other than that today will be work work work.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hi -

Finally back and getting into some routines. Monday stopping the sweets! My first triathlon will be in May. I have been swimming & walking but need to step it up.

I had read Eat for Health last year Mihani and I too thought it was more friendly than ETL. I checked it out from the library but after reading the posts I ordered a used copy of that and finally, OSG cookbook. Looking forward to cooking soups & chili this week.

Big dog walk in park today and then gave all 3 dogs a bath, trimmed nails and blow dry. We are going to go swim this evening.

• Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Nice day, Austin! That fruit compote sounds good.

How was your day working from home, Mihani? How did your prep work go?

Hi Donna! Nice to see you back. Giving all 3 dogs a bath, trim and dry sounds like a workout in itself!

I didn't do any of the batch cooking yesterday, but it went pretty well today anyway. Pretty low key day at home. It has been rainy and windy all day. I should dig out me Eat for Health book too. It is perfect reading weather.

• Mihani
    Options
    Welcome back Donna! We missed you. Hope things are going okay. I agree with Carla, bathing and grooming 3 dogs sure sounds like exercise to me!

Glad you got your batching done today Carla. I got all of my planned preps done other than steaming broccoli and kale. My back was starting to hurt from cooking and laundry so I will do something with them this week. I did 4 loads of laundry since I had let towels, blankets and sheets pile up. A lot of running up and down 2 flights of stairs. Of course I forgot to wear my fitbit today.

Got some work done, but I had to lie down for a while to rest my back before I got started. I'll regret not getting more done, but it felt good to get some chores done around here. I have neglected my housekeeping, just doing bare minimum, for quite a while.

Off to bed. One of my goals is to make sure I'm in bed no later than 9:30. I get up at 5:00 to 5:30 in the morning so if I'm going to get enough rest I need to stick to bedtime. I have found over the years that adequate rest is about half the battle for me to keep up good eating habits. When I'm tired I'm hungry.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Day 7 on track!

No breakfast
    L - cantaloupe, leftover cabbage and kale casserole
    D - big ol' salad with lots of veggies and some chickpeas and lemon tahini dressing, 2 wasa crackers, blueberries with a couple spoonfuls of oats and some almond milk
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options
    Hey @Mihani -- great work getting on track!
    I am having a good week as well. I made a pot of vegan pinto beans -- simple and tasty, and the guys at my house like them, too.

B - smoothie of blueberries, spinach, flax seed meal, coffee, pomegranate powder
    L - a pound of salad (romaine, red cabbage, roma tomato, celery, onion, garlic), creamy pumpkin dressing (Dr F recipe), a mandarin orange
    S - a few apple slices and a few walnuts
    D - lots of steamed spinach, some pinto beans, side of steamed mushrooms, fruit compote for dessert (tart cherries, blueberries, cashew milk)
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Mihani you are a rock star! So busy with work and still doing great with food.

Great day Austin. Lately I've been loving sliced apples with a sprinkle of cinnamon on them.

Yesterday's plant powered fajita bowl was so good! The portobellos, bell peppers and onions soaked in the marinade for 2 days. I might make it the next time my parents come over because they would enjoy those "meaty" portobellos.

I need to get back to my morning green smoothie routine! I want that extra boost of green and that's how I get my flax or chia seeds for the day. I'll think I'll have one for lunch today.

B - pumpkin muffin & coffee
    L - green smoothie (blueberries, spinach, 1/3 banana, almond milk, flax seeds, turmeric)
    D - Lemony Veggie Quinoa Soup and big green salad w/ sweet & tangy sesame dressing
    S - apple or few Halo oranges

last night's bowl
    oxtbvlprfx84.jpg

• Mihani
    Options
    Wow that fajita bowl looks goooood, Carla! Hope I get time to do some real preps soon, but so far I'm not tired of the basics. I was just thinking about the chia/flax thing yesterday. I am really good about getting those in if I have oatmeal or a smoothie in the morning, but if I don't have breakfast I never seem to get around to them and they are important. I already ate dinner but I think I'll have some frozen berries with a little almond milk and my serving of chia seeds for dessert.

Another day 100%
    No breakfast
    L - leftover casserole and a tangelo
    S - small serving of oats with almond milk
    D - salad same as yesterday, berries and chia seeds

I ate the oats I had taken for breakfast and forgot about as a snack late afternoon because I had to work late and didn't want to get home too hungry.