Nutritarian New Year!

Options

Replies

• magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,826 Member
    Options
    Bisky...Love your description of your crew. Lulu is definitely part schnauzer...how much we don't know...she is a rescue but I did get her as a pup. 15 months . Love of my life.

Okay so I am making green smoothies to go along with my fresh juices...prefer the juices, probably because I can't seem to make a dynamite smoothie.

This is a typical smoothie:

1 cup 85 grams spinach or greens
    two cups frozen fruit...pineapple, peaches, mango
    16 ounces water...

sometimes a banana

Just ok. Not interested in any coconut milk or anything...would prefer just water. Obviously no dairy.

Any ideas? I have not tried adding avocado. Or chia or flax seed.

I love my fresh juices...but so far...just average smoothies.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I like to add fresh ginger and a lemon slice to my green smoothies to make them "pop." If it is bitter I might add orange slices. Dates are also great to help combat a bitter taste. I do add ground flax seeds. When I make chocolate smoothies with unsweetened cocoa powder, I add peanut powder, banana, dates, flax and maca powder (not matcha).

All 3 of my dogs are second hand dogs. fk7a79rm6ht9.jpg
  • magic71755
    Options
    Well, that is just the cutest thing ever! How so very adorable. Thanks for posting this very special picture...just precious.

Thanks for the tips of smoothies. I found a link when searching yesterday in MFP for smoothies...came across this https://www.changeinseconds.com/how-to-make-the-perfect-green-smoothie/?fbclid=IwAR0hG5jYMNdMX8duYXwTm6JAIZ5icTJ0b7zMCAyb9PC2gXItwvGMf0c3rec

I am thinking my amounts have been off. Will work on it this weekend. My weekend begins at 2pm today...back on Friday at 7am. YES!
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Just the other day on the local radio they were talking about Pho and all of the names people come up with that are controversial. lol

Magic, carrot apple sounds good. I have a juicer I never get around to using. Freezing it is a good idea since it's a pain to clean up the juicer for just one or two glasses of juice.

Donna, your energy is amazing! The waffles sound good but too dangerous for me! I love a good black bean soup.

I'm not sure how much brown vs white rice vinegar matters, Mihani. When I looked it up briefly, I saw something about it being more nutritious but I haven't exactly delved into it. I use brown when I have it and white when I don't. Don't make the homemade lara bars!!! They are too easy and good.

Last night's bowl. We were overly hungry and looking for something more appealing, but had the bowl anyway. As usual, it was really good and our cravings went away as we started eating.
    l9bbsxlgjma9.jpg
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Happy Monday!

Brooks has day off and it is sunny 60's in San Antonio. Swimming and then walking dogs. The swimming feels so good on my arthritis. It is amazing to me...I can't get into strength training or treadmills, etc. but I will go to the gym and swim.

Power of suggestion...just made a green smoothie for Brooks and I prior to going swimming. I have not made one in months and don't know why. They have always helped my notorious sweet cravings. Thank you for the link Magic!

Carla - is that a tofu bowl...that is another food item I have not learned to cook. I stayed away from soy for years do to health problems but now I don't think it matters as much as getting non meat sources into my diet. Can you come give me cooking classes? Get out of that cold weather :)!
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all, everyone sounds like they are having a great start to an ETL kind of week!

Quick hi tonight, brought work home that I need to get through.

B - leftover steel cut oats with blueberries and chia seeds (had this around 10:00 a.m.)
    L - big ol' salad and a wasa cracker (around 1:30 p.m.)
    D - going to saute some kale and baby spinach with onion and garlic and chickpeas and whatever other spices appeal in the moment... definitely want something warm for dinner. It is COLD here.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,592 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday!
    I am definitely going to make pickled onions today. They sound fabulous! Thanks for sharing how easy those are, Mihani!
    I had a small cooking adventure Sunday. I made a Black Bean Posole, so a no-oil version of this.
    https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/slow-cooker-black-bean-posole

I am now craving my morning smoothie, and need to get it in before I work on class prep. Spinach, mmmm!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Oh that soup looks good Austin! I bookmarked it.

Today was another good day...
    B - oatmeal with chia seeds and blueberries
    L - big 'ol salad
    D - leftover greens and beans, grapes and pumpkin seeds

More work to do tonight.
  • magic71755
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Oh goodness...all your meals are so good. YOU all can cook. That bowl looks amazing, Carla. Exactly what's in it...or was that listed.

Today:
    Green smoothie (getting better...got tips that say do not use all frozen fruit...no flavor...let it thaw some)...spinach, frozen/thawed peaches, pineapple, banana, water. Tomorrow's will be better!

Carrot/apple juice. I am finding freezing kinda messes up the texture and flavor. But if you have a foodsaver you can use the accessory on the mason jars. I will be trying out this way of storing in the fridge on Thursday. I love my juices so I did invest in a slow vertical masticating juicer...now I just need to be able to store longer. I was told this will work. Vacuum sealing the jars gives it a longer fridge life. Fingers crossed

I'll take pictures! :)

Just a lettuce salad ... evoo and lemon ... as a snack.

Dinner was so good...so simple. Ezekiel corn tortillas, baked. Refried beans VEGetarian...a bit of corn, shredded cabbage and pico de gallo. Easy peasy. But man, did it ever taste good to me.

I need more easy WFPB meals like this one. I have enough for tomorrow. YUM.

Today was a good food day. My temperament takes a major hit when I don't eat WFPB...I am not nice...maybe it's I'm not as happy, that's for sure.

I am happy tonight. Sweet dreams all!
  • magic71755
    Options
    morningteasmileyf.gif

Today: (pretty much a repeat of yesterday)
    Green Smoothie (spinach, pineapple, peaches, banana, chia seeds, water)

Carrot/Orange fresh juice

Lettuce Salad with avocado Evoo and Lemon

Bean tostadas two Ezekiel corn tortillas, refried beans -VEG, shredded cabbage, corn, pico de gallo

Sleepy time tea Some kind of grapefruit I bought at Trader Joes HUGE and sweet and juicy!

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,592 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Hello, all!
    I am having a great nutritarian day!
    B - green smoothie (coffee, cashew milk, flax seed meal, pomegranate powder, dash of hazelnut coffee grounds, lots of spinach)
    L - warm garbanzo beans with a bit of Mrs Dash lemon pepper, and Jamaican Jerk Vegetable Salad from the ETL Cookbook. This recipe is new to me, and I love it!
    S before martial arts class will be a veggie smoothie
    D planned to be steamed spinach, eggplant paprikash

@magic71755 - You areso right about food and temperament. My husband this morning commented about how much happier I seem, since I changed my food choices.

We must be having a smoothie week, as I made one yesterday that knocked my socks off. It was the Immunity Power Smoothie recipe in the ETL Cookbook -- beet, carrots, apple and kale. Despite the kale, it is bright red from the beet. I loved it, and so did my son! I'll likely make that same one again this afternoon, as I have 3 or 4 beets left. Yum!
  • maryjennifer
    maryjennifer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I tried the link, https://www.changeinseconds.com/how-to-make-the-perfect-green-smoothie/ provided by @magic71755, the formula on how to make great tasting green smoothies works! Print the PDF for easy reference.

The site also features green smoothie recipes, https://www.changeinseconds.com/green-smoothie-recipes/

sl1kb96bhst7.jpg
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    It looks like MFP ate my post from yesterday!

brunch? - smoothie, coffee
    dinner - black-eyed pea stew and avo-sauerkraut toast
    snack - apple w/ cinnamon

the millet pilaf bowl from yesterday was so good. I wasn't looking forward to it, as is often the case with the meals I end up loving the most. Happy to have a few meals with kale in them that I really like, I know I should be having more.

j1esyobgpyp2.jpg
  • Mihani
    Options
    I am going to have to catch up with everyone's posts tomorrow I'm still swamped with work. I got groceries delivered tonight to save some time and I'm going to do some cooking and prepping tomorrow.

L - big ol' salad and an apple, wasa cracker
    D - frozen plantpure entree, banana
  • magic71755
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Good morning dear Nutritarians. I bought Dr. Joel's books yesterday...KINDLE editions of the two cookbooks...Eat to Live Cookbook and Quick and Easy Cookbook. I also bought the Nutritarian Handbook and Guide, Kindle edition as well.

My day looks exactly like yesterday...just a switch up of green smoothie...berries and spinach and banana. Juice will be Joe's Mean Green (made yesterday) and one last carrot apple. Making a new batch today of Carrot/Apple...will use my mason jar vacuum jar sealer ...it arrives later today.

Green Smoothie
    Carrot/Apple Juice
    Major chopped salad with Evoo and Lemon dressing
    Joe's Mean Green
    Bean Tostada
    Sleepy Time tea, grapefruit

Hope everyone has a day with some joy tucked in there. I have Marie Kondo on TV today...too much clutter. I need inspiration! LOL Last day of weekend. BACK TO THE SALT MINES TOMORROW.

• Carla_wfpb
    Options
    So funny Magic, I was just watching Marie Kondo the other day. I was inspired to start getting rid of some of my craft supplies that no longer bring me joy. Let us know how you like the vacuum sealer.

maryjennifer, thanks for the link. I am in love with that pic of the pomegranate smoothie! the red on green is so pretty

Mihani, good luck this week with that never ending pile of work. If I were busy like you, I'd get my groceries delivered all the time and I wouldn't feel bad about it at all!

b- smoothie
    l - leftover black-eyed pea stew
    d - roasted cabbage steaks over quinoa w/ smoky paprika sauce & lemony lentil salad (Azifa)
    s- pumpkin muffin

Last night we had Black-Eyed Pea stew and avo-toast. Comfort food! (pic doesn't look particularly appealing! I don't think I'll share this elsewhere LOL)

9g3vj2nu5wr5.jpg

• Mihani
    Options
    Hey y'all! Time to catch up a bit. Bisky LOVE the pic of the pups. I have a similar one from when I had 3 dogs. Any more beans from scratch adventures? How goes training for the tri?

Magic, sounds like you are doing great this week and I'm glad you found some smoothies you like. They are such an easy way to load up on greens. I like the Q&E cookbook better than the ETL cookbook. Never heard of Marie Kondo, will have to look her up.

Carla, I am going to build a cabin on your property and invite myself to dinner every night LOL. Everything you've been making looks so good. I really like millet although I haven't made it in quite a while. It's so fluffy and light. I've printed out a couple cabbage steak recipes meaning to give it a try. How'd yours turn out?

Austin, did you try the pickled onions? You are finding some interesting recipes lately. I've been bookmarking your suggestions.

maryjennifer, been trying any new smoothies?

Been super busy but brought work home for tomorrow and won't go back to the office until Sunday. Have to take pup in for his annual exam and shots tomorrow so I'm sure he'll enjoy that.

L - oatmeal with almond milk, chia seeds, a couple walnuts
    S - lara bar
    D - Not sure yet... probably a big salad since I didn't have my lunch salad and need my leafy greens and raw veggies.
  • magic71755
    Options
    Howdy TEAM ETL!

So, my foodsaver jar accessory works so well...really seals it...TIGHT. My smoothie today was so good. Thanks for all your suggestions. I believe letting the berries thaw for an hour before tossing them in the blender is key to making it tasty and I put in a fresh banana...no frozen. They need to ripen more and then into the freezer with them them.

5 berry, banana, spinach, water smoothie 16 ounces
    carrot/apple juice 16 ounces
    5 berry, banana, spinach, water smoothie 16 ounces
    Don Lee Farms Plant based burger on Canyon Bakehouse GF bread
    Baked potato with salsa
    LIGHTS OUT!

YOU are all so encouraging. Thanks for making me feel so welcomed. <3

At work right now...and having a spectacular food day. Even took the GS cookies, Ritz cracker and pop tart out of the drawer and gave it to a salesman to hold. (My little buddy, I share receptionist duties with is a junk food junkie). She knows better than to leave stuff in OUR drawer. LOL I love that kid, but she eats like a 12 year old with no parents around.

Any suggestions for almond milk with no additives? Is it better to make your own? I know it should not be sweetened. I would like to try a chia seed pudding.

Alrighty then...time for me to get back to work. 12 hours down, one to go. Yahooooooooo!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hi Magic... https://detoxinista.com/how-to-make-homemade-almond-milk/ she also has some recipes for what to do with the almond pulp. I haven't tried making my own yet, but maybe if things settle down at work. I have read that adding some oats to your nut or seed milks will make them thicker. Oat milk is so good that sounds like a good idea anyway. I've been thinking about this myself as I rarely use milk and when I open a carton for a recipe it usually ends up getting tossed a week later. If I just made the cup or so I need for a recipe each time it would be less wasteful. Maybe I'll hop on amazon this weekend and order some nut milk bags.

Good for you removing the temptation from the desk drawer!
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    I think I've hit Preview instead of Post a few times in a row now. I tried to post earlier today!

Joe and I walked around the garden and orchard today to start planning this year's garden. We're starting to get a better idea of what we like to grow and what likes to grow here.

Groceries are in the fridge ready for batching tomorrow. Looking forward to Lebanese week!

l539eynrp0i1.png