ME Vs The BINGE -- Feb 2019 Challenge

Options
lamlamsmakeover
lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
Well this challenge is a challenge with yourself. The challenge is for you to win in the fight against "The Binge". Many of us struggle with binging and a few of us have found that making "The Binge" a person has helped us fight the emotions or urge to binge.

The objective of the challenge is to have more days for you (Me) than the "The Binge".

When you have a day you do not succumb to binge urges or binge give yourself (ME) a point. When you give in to the urge to binge you give 'The Binge" a point. No beating yourself up about it because tomorrow is another day. Honesty with yourself is crucial for it to help you and others.

So we keep score with ourselves the whole month. We encourage each other along the way. Please feel free to share your ups, downs, successes, struggles, etc. You will find you are not alone. See below for format. Feel free to use it or use your own format. This Challenge keeps you mindful of binging and the daily support and accountability helps also.

Check in often. The more you check and share the better you will do for the month. So are you in? You are stronger than “The Binge.” One day at a time.

Current month 2018:
Me (or you can use your user name or real name) - 0
The Binge - 0

Replies

• Fitatelo
    Fitatelo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    February 1st

Me: 1
    The Binge: 0

Days Binge Free: 1
  • Czuni6
    Czuni6 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Feb 1:

**please don’t feel like you have to read this; I’m just getting my thoughts in writing to help me recovery.
    Not gonna lie; it was a really rough day for me and I felt a lot of stress lately and I binged. But I’m ok. I’m just working through the process of recovery, and it was a little slip up. I’m grateful for many things; in spite of my mistake, I progressed in that I grabbed low calorie foods instead of massive caloric junk. I interpret this as my body’s way of telling me I need to take time to do little things to relieve everyday/building stress.
    I’m really grateful too for the blessing that this isn’t the end of anything...I just slipped a little and I can climb back on the path. Yesss! Bring on tomorrow, I got this!**

Me: 0
    B: 1
    DBF: 0
  • Hecka_Rebecca
    Hecka_Rebecca Posts: 50 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    February 1st
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    @Czuni6 that's such a great way to look at it!

Feb 1
    Binge: 0
    DBF 12
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    Feb 1

Me: 1*

DBF: 40
  • dchao12
    dchao12 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Me: 2
    DBF: 2
  • Pretty_Little_Nobody
    Options
    Feb 3rd
    Me:3
    B:0
    Dbf: 3

I've over eaten according to my calories everyday but would you count this as a binge? I think there is a difference right? I just feel hungry lol
  • Hecka_Rebecca
    Options
    February 2nd
    B: 2
  • Llamapants86
    Options
    Feb 2
    Dbf: 13

I'm still holding on, but this weekend's been pretty hard. Im hoping that once Monday and the comfort of pattern and routine come back, I won't have to put this much effort into not giving in to my binge urges.
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    Feb 3

Me: 3*

DBF: 42
  • dchao12
    dchao12 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    February 3rd

Me: 3

DBF: 3
  • Hecka_Rebecca
    Options
    February 3rd
    DBF: 1
  • hillmike56
    hillmike56 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    02/03/2019

• 6raham
    6raham Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    04/02/2019
    Ok so February hasnt started too well, I am close to my goal weight and have been looking to maintain but this past weekend it all went out the window!

Binge: 3

Today is a new day...
  • Pretty_Little_Nobody
    Options
    Feb 3
    Me 3
    B 0
    Dbf 3

I still think I am semi binging though....just not on the same types of food. This is something I must seriously work on. What do you guys use as a comfort method instead?
  • Llamapants86
    Options
    Feb 3
    Dbf: 14

@Pretty_Little_Nobody I have gotten a few hobbies since I seriously started to try not to binge.

All things I can quickly pick up that will occupy my mind and hands for 10 minutes to get through an urge.

I have a small knitting project
    A hook rug
    Colouring books
    Video games (casual games to just get through an urge, and more involved ones if I am looking at an afternoon to kill)
    Playing the piano

I also started meditation, but I am finding that to be really difficult still.

Once I started doing these things, I found out just how much time I was wasting when I was binge eating, and it has given me a positive feedback loop when I do something other than binge. It isn't perfect, but it has gotten me from binging multiple times a day to going one or two weeks between binges.
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    Feb 4

Me: 4*

DBF: 43
  • Czuni6
    Options
    I haven’t checked-in in a long time as I broke my ankle ice skating on Saturday night and things have been a little crazy since. But in spite of the changes and challenges, I have been very blessed and made progress these past few days, so I’ll go ahead and track that progress.

Feb 2

Feb 3:
    B:1
    DBF: 2

Feb 4:
    DBF: 3
  • Czuni6
    Options
    @Pretty_Little_Nobody here are some tips that helped me get through my urges...healing is such a LONG time, so just be extra kind to yourself and treat yourself like you would a broken bone (very gently) and give yourself plenty of time for these habits to kick in:

Self-Comfort tips that worked for me:
    -write down your favorite inspirational quotes
    -keep a “grateful” journal
    -write something nice on a sticky note for someone and then post it where they can see it
    -brush/floss your teeth, gargle with listerine
    -create something, even if it’s with play dough
    -hug or read to a child, friend, or record yourself reading out loud
    -sing an inspiring song
    -trim/cut/clean/paint your nails
    -drink ice water and chew the ice
    -take a walk
    -draw/doodle
    -cleaning, organizing or serving someone else
    -call a friend
    -per a dog or cat
    -chew gum or bite down super hard on a stack of popsicle sticks.
  • Czuni6
    Options
    Also, I’m still quite a ways away from being healed, but I wanted to share some suggestions I follow to help me not binge:

-throw out the junk/trigger foods
    -drink tons of water throughout the day, especially when those urges come. Water, water, water is critical
    -slowwww down during meals and think/consider the textures, colors and breeeeeaathe.
    -eat 3 consistent, balanced meals a day, with 2-3 small snacks between if needed
    -stop relying on processed foods; instead, shop for and eat fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, and good sources of protein and fats. Choose fresh foods that you absolutely love and will keep you nourished and satisfied.
    -focus on others, especially if there is food around. Drink water and actually listen to conversations going on
    -if you want to have some processed foods or a non-dangerous treat, go ahead and have it. But make sure you drink tons of water before and you have your treat along with a huge plateful of low calorie vegetables. And before diving into any of these, breeeeeathe and be very sloooooow and grateful for everything your 5 sense are experiencing.
    -praise yourself, give yourself a BIG hug every single day for about 5 minutes.
    -spend at least 15 minutes in the sunshine/outdoors/in nature.
    -stay away from temptations/trigger foods/situations
    -express thanks and keep that grateful journal every day.
    -find ways to serve others every day.