TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    Options
    Nice going @savannahs21
  • ScrambledPawn
    ScrambledPawn Posts: 59 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    August 26-September 1- Week 5

Monday and Wednesday = Cadence Drills, moving from two subsequent drills to three for both sessions. Average goal spm seems to have settled between 170-180, which is supposedly just below what is considered perfect running speed. Main aim moving forward is applying this cadence to longer runs without burning out in the second and third stages: Run Walk Run and longer sustained runs.

Friday was a repeat of last week's Run Walk Run session but without the allotted breaks, for 1 mile, bookended with 22 minutes of total warm up and cool down jogging/running. I felt rough going into this run but managed to complete it without much difficulty and finishing with a 12:10 mile, which feels great considering my initial target of 13 minutes. I hope I can continue this progress moving onto longer runs in my remaining 7 weeks.

I initially thought that Galloway's plan was a bit basic and had doubts in its ability to train for a 5K considering there is only one actual run per week, but now I can see its merits; consistently training cadence increases running form and pace competency, while the Run Walk Run system encourages you to put these drills into a longer endurance setting. Finally, when attempting the runs again without breaks you're going at a slightly slower pace to that which you train yourself to run in short spurts in the first two stages, so your body is able to accomodate it as an easier run and it feels like a considerably lower strain on your cardiovascular system as a result.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    After a week off from running and cycling, I completed W8D2 this morning. As expected, it was miserable, but I did it. Only stopped once about half way through to stretch the calves.
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    W6D1 in the books today covered 4.16km! I am so thankful for my co-worker..... having that support has been amazing! I have really noticed a difference in my riding too....... and that is the main goal, as I am a rider not a runner...... :)

Short week...... Happy Wednesday!
  • TheMrWobbly
    Options
    I did 10 minutes running at football last night. Still focusing on cycling for September but a good start back.
  • savannahs21
    savannahs21 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    W7D2, about the same as W7D1
  • TheMrWobbly
    Options
    Today looks like a beautiful day. What for yet I'm not sure so I going to go out and see what comes up!
  • savannahs21
    savannahs21 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    W7D3, did pretty good today.
  • ScrambledPawn
    Options
    September 2 - September 8 - Week 6

Monday-Wednesday - 4 cadence drills in a row instead of 3 this time; spm targets seem to have stabilised anywhere between 168 and 182, telling me that I am averaging out on the ideal pace.

Friday - Run Walk Run from 1 mile to 1.5 miles. The first half mile after the warm up was surprisingly difficult and I spent it fighting a stitch in my side; once that finally passed it was an enjoyable experience though. Unfortunately a number of factors led to minor injury, namely a small blister just under the ball of my left foot; I attribute a lot of it to running at 2am indoors, particularly on a rough floor. Thankfully, as of Sunday it is healing well and is just a small annoyance so it is looking good that I won't have to pause Week 7 for a week; I'll keep everyone posted here.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I took a short break from running to complete a 60 mile bike ride (Saturday). This morning I got out and finished W9D1.

I have the 5k next Saturday.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I did an open run this morning with a group of other runners. We ran 3.43 miles to honor the 343 firefighters who gave their lives to save so many others on 9/11/01.

I didn't run the whole distance, but am happy with my pace. The run was good, despite 90% humidity and temperatures near 80 at 5:30 this morning.
  • ScrambledPawn
    Options
    Well thankfully the blister was relatively a non-issue and din't get in the way of my runs, so Week 7 (out of 12) is out of the way!

Monday & Wednesday: Same as last week, but with slightly lower cadence targets strangely, I suppose as I'm coming up to longer runs the idea is pacing rather than form now; either way the change was welcome while I was in healing.

Friday - 1.5 mile run uninterrupted: I'm actually a little surprised that I managed to complete this one with little issue, considering how difficult I found the 1 mile run 2 weeks ago, even managing to set a new mile record at 11 minutes and 12 seconds for the first mile. I've always been really results-driven and the results I've been getting from Galloway's plan are undeniable; for the first time in 7 weeks I genuinely feel I can ace this 5k in October now.
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    W8R3 done. Still really challenging but a bit better then last time. I'm thinking to redo this week before moving on to week 9. The logic is to work up a little more distance and strength before adding more time.
    But we shall see.
    Have a great week.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I did my 5k on Saturday. It was called, "The Worst-est Race Ever". It was straight out on the local Greenway. There were shuttles available to get back to the start, but I chose to walk. There were "hazards" along the way including a troll under the bridge and a snake pit with rubber snakes. I did not finish last in my age group! Time was just over 42 minutes, despite several stops for pictures, etc. It was so much fun!

The theme was Tacos. I was the Taco Fairy.
    im6nz8thfigy.jpg
    edzht461p5kl.jpg

• Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    I did my 5k on Saturday. It was called, "The Worst-est Race Ever". It was straight out on the local Greenway. There were shuttles available to get back to the start, but I chose to walk. There were "hazards" along the way including a troll under the bridge and a snake pit with rubber snakes. I did not finish last in my age group! Time was just over 42 minutes, despite several stops for pictures, etc. It was so much fun!

The theme was Tacos. I was the Taco Fairy.
    im6nz8thfigy.jpg
    edzht461p5kl.jpg

That is awesome! You made my day!
  • TheMrWobbly
    Options
    Fantastic @Just_Ceci, just fantastic!!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    @NadNight others on c25k here you may enjoy reading and sharing
  • TheMrWobbly
    Options
    So the bike is having a rest and so am I, hoping to join a park run a week on Saturday and see what my body is like before deciding if I am going back a few weeks or not. Hope you are all going strong!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I haven't run since my 5k on the 14th. The weather is cooling off some, so will try to make myself get out there again.