Is anyone starting July 1st?

Options

Replies

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    Options
    Went out for my evening constitutional and though I would throw in a brief jog to stretch the muscles hurting yesterday and it was a non-starter. I will stretch tonight and go for it tomorrow and see how it goes.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    @ScrambledPawn you may be interested in joining in here
  • ScrambledPawn
    ScrambledPawn Posts: 59 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @ScrambledPawn you may be interested in joining in here

Thank you, I wasn't sure if using Garmin Coach would be acceptable, considering the plan I'm on heavily utilises cadence and accelerator/glider drills and it constantly changes to suit your progress at any given time instead of meeting a fixed schedule; I also started earlier this month and not in July but if you're willing to have me I'm more than willing to join you guys in trying to become a better runner!

Starting Date: August 5
    Method: Garmin Coach - Jeff Galloway
    Previous Weekly Running Experience: 1-5 Miles
    Aim: Run a 5K
    Ending Date: October 19

Week 1 (August 5 - August 11)

Run 1 (August 5)
    - Type of Run: Benchmark Run - 2 minutes warm up walk; 5 minutes run; 2 minutes cool down walk
    - Total Time Exercised: 9 Minutes
    - Distance Travelled: 0.57 Miles
    - Optional Thoughts: Guaged my limits well for longer runs, noting how fast was too fast.

Run 2 (August 7)
    - Type of Run: Cadence Drill - 10 minutes warm up walk; 2 minutes cadence test; 10 minutes cool down walk
    - Total Time Exercised: 22 Minutes
    - Distance Travelled: 1.38 Miles
    - Optional Thoughts: Average Cadence of around 170-175, it was interesting focusing on narrowing stride length in order to increase step count.

Run 3 (August 9)
    - Type of Run: Run Walk Run - 10 minutes warm up walk; 0.5 mile run/walk/run; 10 minutes cool down walk
    - Total Time Exercised: 28 Minutes, 42 seconds
    - Distance Travelled: 1.50miles
    - Optional Thoughts: Taking 13-15 minute mile as a starting point, making for a 30 second off/on run, walk, run cycle. The priority in increasing speed for the running intervals from what would be a normal long distance run is difficult to get used to, but I feel I earn the intermittent walking breaks as a result; whether Galloway's claims of interval running making for a faster mile will remain to be seen come October.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    The group on this thread are using slightly different programs. Some time based others distance based. I did the c25k program in February and am now doing the b210k. I try my best to cheer everyone here on!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was the hottest day of the year here. I skipped the run. Today, I cycle with a group. I will plan to run tomorrow when it's cooler.
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I went out over lunch today with a co-worker.... she joined me last friday for the first time (she has only been on the job for 4 weeks). She is an accomplished runner but hasn't really done anything over the last couple years. I actually really enjoyed having the company. I had a slower pace as she is about a foot shorter then me :wink: but we completed W4D1..... I am pretty proud of myself! I know if I had gone alone I would have repeated W3D3 just because I have only been running once a week most weeks so I wasn't sure I was ready for the bump up! Everything feels good, lungs not on fire, ankle not screaming at me, hammies content, heart rate warning didn't go off! We were able to cover 4km which is an increase of about 0.75km from Friday. Can't wait to see what Thursday brings........ <3

happy Tuesday everyone!
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    W7R3 Done! Getting a little easier now. My speed/distance has remained constant. I've done the 25 minute run 3 times now and was hoping to run a little faster and cover more distance but this hasn't really happened. Any tips?
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Perla4686 wrote: »
    W7R3 Done! Getting a little easier now. My speed/distance has remained constant. I've done the 25 minute run 3 times now and was hoping to run a little faster and cover more distance but this hasn't really happened. Any tips?

Don’t worry about speed until after you complete c25k

• TheMrWobbly
    Options
    Okay so a definite 'no' to running right now, going to keep power walking and cycling as that doesn't seem to aggravate the same muscle. I was up to Wk6, when I come back should I drop back a week and redo Wk5?
  • savannahs21
    savannahs21 Posts: 364 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    W5D2, the 6 min walk wasn't as bad as i thought it would be surprisingly. I looked at what i'm supposed to do for W5D3 and im not sure how i can go from 8 mins running to 20 running mins but ill try.
  • savannahs21
    savannahs21 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    @TheMrWobbly, redoing week 5 might be helpful with week 6
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Okay so a definite 'no' to running right now, going to keep power walking and cycling as that doesn't seem to aggravate the same muscle. I was up to Wk6, when I come back should I drop back a week and redo Wk5?
    I am also recovering from hip injury from running too much too fast. It helped me to take a week off from B210k and work on stretches, yoga, strength training, and foam rolling. I repeated almost a full week after coming back to the program. I also went and got fitted for new shoes.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options

Don’t worry about speed until after you complete c25k

Exactly this.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Finished W6D1 this morning- run 1/2 mile, walk 1/4, run 3/4, walk 1/4, run 1/2. It wasn't too bad! I'm hovering around 12 minute miles for my running segments. I'm okay with that.
    W6D1
  • Pearl4686
    Options
    Thanks for replying @Just_Ceci and @emmamcgarity

Just curious-lately the side of my right foot hurts after running (not during) for a good few hours. Anyone experienced this? It's not very painful, more like a dull pain. I'm thinking if new shoes might help, mine are probably past their best.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options

Just curious-lately the side of my right foot hurts after running (not during) for a good few hours. Anyone experienced this? It's not very painful, more like a dull pain. I'm thinking if new shoes might help, mine are probably past their best.

My knees start hurting when my shoes are getting worn out. Could be your problem!
  • emmamcgarity
    Options

If the pain is on the side it might have to do with your gait/shoes. The advantage of being fitted is that if you pronate/supinate they can recommend a shoe that is right for your gait and cause less pain. I was fitted years ago and had bought a similar shoe in the same brand when I started c25k. It worked fine for me until my mileage increased. I was using trail shoes on pavement. I got fitted again recently and they recommended a shoe designed for roads. The new shoes helped a lot. The salesperson even recommended shoes that had just gone on sale due to new models coming out. I spent $90 on one pair which I felt was reasonable to avoid injury. Full price was around $120/130
  • Pearl4686
    Options
    @Just_Ceci @emmamcgarity thanks for your suggestions, I'll definitely go for another fitting. Mine were fitted properly in a store with a treadmill where they looked at my gait. But they are about 10 years old. I only got serious about working out a few months ago but I guess all the occasional use adds up and they do look worn. I'll keep you posted how things go :)
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    2/3 this week!!! YAY :)

I went out for W4D2 by myself and think I was too fast... I did struggle with the 5 min today and had one walk break in each at 2:59.. I will see how the next one goes and see if i will repeat a day or not.

Happy Thursday!
  • TheMrWobbly
    Options
    Good work everyone, keep on going so I have a target when I start again soon :)