Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, my friend @gewel321 told me that this is a great group to join for some more community support. I am not yet comfortable enough to share numbers and pictures so I had started a private group "Started 2020 in the 300s" with others in the same situation for this purpose, but I look forward to getting more tips and tricks here!

I got a slap of reality when I stepped on the scale Jan 1st, After ignoring my weight and the scale for a while... I am tired of being sore and tired carrying all this extra weight, and i think i hit my rock bottom.

I have lost 100 pounds once before so I know I can do it again one step at a time!

Good luck everyone in reaching your goals!!!
    Lyn

Hi @Ragamuffin14,

Glad you are checking us out. We do not require number or photo sharing or even open diaries here. I am a pretty private person so I encourage people to stay within their comfort zone.

I encourage you to redefine your ultimate goals this time. Losing weight will help your comfort and health but if that is all you do you run the risk that everyone does of regaining. It is as important to lose the mindset and habits of the person who gained the weight while losing the weight. Both are best done, in my opinion, in progressive changes along the way. I like to call it "nudging normal."

Anyway I hope you stick around and join the conversation. Just jump in anywhere. We are not a formal group.

• Ragamuffin14
    Ragamuffin14 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Hi everyone, my friend @gewel321 told me that this is a great group to join for some more community support. I am not yet comfortable enough to share numbers and pictures so I had started a private group "Started 2020 in the 300s" with others in the same situation for this purpose, but I look forward to getting more tips and tricks here!

I got a slap of reality when I stepped on the scale Jan 1st, After ignoring my weight and the scale for a while... I am tired of being sore and tired carrying all this extra weight, and i think i hit my rock bottom.

I have lost 100 pounds once before so I know I can do it again one step at a time!

Lyn

Hi @Ragamuffin14,

Glad you are checking us out. We do not require number or photo sharing or even open diaries here. I am a pretty private person so I encourage people to stay within their comfort zone.

I encourage you to redefine your ultimate goals this time. Losing weight will help your comfort and health but if that is all you do you run the risk that everyone does of regaining. It is as important to lose the mindset and habits of the person who gained the weight while losing the weight. Both are best done, in my opinion, in progressive changes along the way. I like to call it "nudging normal."

Anyway I hope you stick around and join the conversation. Just jump in anywhere. We are not a formal group.

Very insightful, thanks for that!!! I haven't even figured out a target weight lol. I gained my 100 pounds after I lost my dad suddenly when he was 59... I had an "I don't care" mentality and did other Scarry self sabotaging things too over the past 9 years, not just my weight. Over time the grief has lessened and I realize now how much my family needs me.

Kind of silly, but I miss "living" now... Wanting to go out and sit on lawn chairs without breaking them, sit in an airplane seat, being able to do things like going on amusement rides and fitting in equipment to play some ice sports. Before i didn't care about anything or anyone and didn't want to go out, but now I do.

Fingers crossed this is longer term motivation!!!
    Hugz, Lyn
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    merph518 wrote: »
    Hello! I've been looking for a group like this since I migrated to using MFP about a month ago. Every group I had found was completely dead.

I've been working toward improving my health and losing weight since the first of the year. It wasn't a New Year's resolution or anything, just happened to be the day I buckled down and got serious after the holiday.

I started off at 386.6 lbs, the highest weight I've ever been. I was miserable, it just took me a long time to realize why I was miserable. Walking around was tiring, I had heartburn all the time, and I was having trouble sleeping -- to the point where I was sleeping in a recliner for a good six months.

I made some changes to my diet -- cutting out sweets, fast food, basically anything calorie dense. Logged everything I ate and tracked my calories burned using a WearOS watch.

This morning I hit a new low of 318.4 lbs. I still have a long ways to go, but I'm headed in the right direction. I'm also happier than I have been in years. The heartburn's all but gone, I'm no longer winded just walking, and I've been back in bed where I belong at night since March or so.

I hope that everyone else sees a similar success! Feel free to friend me if you'd like.

Cheers,
    Merph

Hi. I see this post is from awhile back. How much do you weigh now?
  • ChrissyChickie
    Options

Lyn

Hi Lyn, I posted on another thread how reality does suck sometimes. I knew I was overweight, but really didn't know I was so heavy until I looked at myself in photos. When I see myself in the mirror I see someone who is overweight, but not the really obese person I see in photos. So now I signed up for an app on my phone and am loading photos of my progress. This should hopefully motivate me to keep going
  • ChrissyChickie
    Options
    So I don't have to go through 25 pages... what diet is most people successful with?
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    So I don't have to go through 25 pages... what diet is most people successful with?

no diet; just counting calories. Though I've added in activity in recent months - gives a nice calorie boost :)
  • NovusDies
    Options

Hi @ChrissyChickie,

Welcome to LL.

There are two answers to your questions.

1) Because you are on a calorie counting site you will find a large number of people here having success with simply staying within a calorie budget. This means they eat the way they want with some compromises. Some will have medical restrictions. Some will find certain macros to be more satiating. Some will have difficulty with moderating certain foods so they have to eliminate. Some will do a little of all the above. The idea is to customize a diet to work for you.

2) In a much broader scope every single diet in existence fails for the overwhelming majority of people who use/try it so the other answer is there is no diet that is successful for most people.

What we also learn from the second answer is that every major plan also has some people use it successfully. This means that weight loss is not dependent on a particular diet or plan. It is dependent only on creating a calorie deficit. The rest is all about finding a plan that is sustainable for you.

What I recommend here is that you do what feels normal for you and then alter it just enough to create a calorie deficit and keep your hunger in check. The more drastically you change the more you will have to fight with yourself to sustain it. I like this thread for how to get started with the food section:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

• NovusDies
    Options
    merph518 wrote: »
    Hello! I've been looking for a group like this since I migrated to using MFP about a month ago. Every group I had found was completely dead.

I've been working toward improving my health and losing weight since the first of the year. It wasn't a New Year's resolution or anything, just happened to be the day I buckled down and got serious after the holiday.

I started off at 386.6 lbs, the highest weight I've ever been. I was miserable, it just took me a long time to realize why I was miserable. Walking around was tiring, I had heartburn all the time, and I was having trouble sleeping -- to the point where I was sleeping in a recliner for a good six months.

I made some changes to my diet -- cutting out sweets, fast food, basically anything calorie dense. Logged everything I ate and tracked my calories burned using a WearOS watch.

This morning I hit a new low of 318.4 lbs. I still have a long ways to go, but I'm headed in the right direction. I'm also happier than I have been in years. The heartburn's all but gone, I'm no longer winded just walking, and I've been back in bed where I belong at night since March or so.

I hope that everyone else sees a similar success! Feel free to friend me if you'd like.

Cheers,
    Merph

Hi. I see this post is from awhile back. How much do you weigh now?

He was down to 273 the last time he checked in.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm 39 yr old married mom of 2 with 150+lbs to lose. I'm in for the long haul and would love to reciprocate support and accountability.

SW 305.4 lbs
    CW 298.7 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Hi all. I'm 39 yr old married mom of 2 with 150+lbs to lose. I'm in for the long haul and would love to reciprocate support and accountability.

SW 305.4 lbs
    CW 298.7 lbs
    GW 140 lbs

Hi @PositivelyFlawed,

I am excited you decided to check out our group. I think you will fit in just fine. Please look around and join in any conversation. We are not a formal group so hijack away as needed.
  • mlagioia
    mlagioia Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm Michele and I currently weight 233 lbs. I've been overweight and have dieted my entire life, and at 233 am the heaviest I have ever been. I am only successful at dieting when I have support, so I am looking forward to being a part of the group. I will be 50 in 6 months, and I really want to make my health and my life a priority.
  • haljoauk
    haljoauk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Joanne I am at my biggest at 325lbs. I am a yo-yo dieter. I have in the last 25years been down to 140lbs in weight twice and put it back and more. This time not doing for just weight lose doing for my health. I am a type 2 diabetic on insulin, I have high blood pressure and I have asthma. I have learnt one thing you lose weight better when you do it with other people. I am looking forward to being part of this group
  • NovusDies
    Options
    mlagioia wrote: »
    I'm Michele and I currently weight 233 lbs. I've been overweight and have dieted my entire life, and at 233 am the heaviest I have ever been. I am only successful at dieting when I have support, so I am looking forward to being a part of the group. I will be 50 in 6 months, and I really want to make my health and my life a priority.

Hi @mlagioia,

Welcome to LL. I'd like to encourage you to look for more ways to change your approach this time. In what way do you define a previous weight loss attempt as a success? Is it scale results? If so, perhaps that should be one of the things to change. Consider a definition of success that involves permanently changing enough that you not only lose weight but reduce the risk of regaining it. Also consider that the changes to habits and mindset are more important than scale results because they dictate that the weight is lost in a sustainable fashion and that when the weight is gone you manage that loss for the rest of your life. Manage, to me, means not regaining more than 10 or so pounds before going back to a deficit to bring it back down.

Support you will find here. We are here to help ourselves and others change lives for the better.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    haljoauk wrote: »
    Hi I am Joanne I am at my biggest at 325lbs. I am a yo-yo dieter. I have in the last 25years been down to 140lbs in weight twice and put it back and more. This time not doing for just weight lose doing for my health. I am a type 2 diabetic on insulin, I have high blood pressure and I have asthma. I have learnt one thing you lose weight better when you do it with other people. I am looking forward to being part of this group

Hi @haljoauk,

Welcome.

We definitely have other people here working on alleviating or mitigating health issues. We also have some that have already found some success on that front, I am one of them.

I would stop calling yourself a yo-yo dieter now. That is the past. It is time to put forward a positive new identity and try to live up to it. It will make habit change easier. Be a person who loses the weight and keeps it off forever now. Chip away at all that stands in the way of being that person. Take what is normal for you now and keep nudging it towards your new identity. I know you can do it.
  • emmyjaykay
    emmyjaykay Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Emmy. I'm 29 years old and currently just above 328 pounds, down from 348 on May 1st. I've been on MFP off since I was 21, on a few different accounts. In the past, weight loss attempts have always started off fine then lead me to severe restriction where I intentionally under-nourish myself. As someone who grew up with a family member who spent years being hospitalized for an eating disorder, that predisposition has always scared me into stopping. (And rightly so, I think. If my relationship with food and my body could have caused myself harm, holding off was the right choice.)

This time, I'm in a much better place with food and with myself. I've learned that I can't hate myself skinny. I also have a great therapist who is helping me find balance as opposed to that severe restriction.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, My names Cassandra, I’m 30 years old. I just started my weight loss journey on May 18th. I have at least 100 pounds to lose.
  • craftymelli7
    craftymelli7 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Melissa. I am 31 years old. I have kidney disease stage 3b. From a medication that the doctors didn't get me off quick enough. Then I had to switch to another medication that is filtered through the liver but causes weight gain and metabolism slowing down issues. I am at least 80 to 100 lbs overweight. I am trying to get to 150 lbs. I don't want to get diabetis because if I get diabetis along with kidney disease I could go blind. I am fighting it all the way. This is the heaviest I have ever been. I am 238 lbs now. I have been tracking all my food, exercise, and water for at least 80 days and have lost from 250 lbs to 238 lbs. I would love to have more friends to encourage me and me to encourage them on thier weight loss journey. Also I stress eat. But I'm getting better at not doing it so often finally. My fitness pal screen name is craftymelli7. Love to make some friends.
    Thanks,
    Melissa
  • NovusDies
    Options
    emmyjaykay wrote: »
    Hi! I'm Emmy. I'm 29 years old and currently just above 328 pounds, down from 348 on May 1st. I've been on MFP off since I was 21, on a few different accounts. In the past, weight loss attempts have always started off fine then lead me to severe restriction where I intentionally under-nourish myself. As someone who grew up with a family member who spent years being hospitalized for an eating disorder, that predisposition has always scared me into stopping. (And rightly so, I think. If my relationship with food and my body could have caused myself harm, holding off was the right choice.)

This time, I'm in a much better place with food and with myself. I've learned that I can't hate myself skinny. I also have a great therapist who is helping me find balance as opposed to that severe restriction.

Hi @emmyjaykay Emmy,

Welcome to LL.

A lot of the mental aspects of this process are about finding a balance and it can be tough. It also seems to always need adjusting as life happens and we change. I feel like our group promotes healthy perspectives of food and the process but please let your therapist be the final word for now.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    LushFix wrote: »
    Hello everyone, My names Cassandra, I’m 30 years old. I just started my weight loss journey on May 18th. I have at least 100 pounds to lose.

Hi @LushFix Cassandra,

Welcome to our group.

Jump into any discussion and let us know how we can help.