Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Welcome, @margaretlunan2 and @Mrs_Smith_8002!

Weight loss definitely isn't easy, but it helps knowing you can do it, both from past success and from being surrounded by people who are fighting the same fight and winning. Especially when you are dealing with a lot of weight and not just vanity pounds. You both have very sensible and realistic goals and plans in place, so congratulations on your current successes! Jump in wherever you desire, whether it be updates, goals, life, NSVs, complaints, whatever - we listen with sympathy and understanding as we've all been there ourselves at one time or the other (though I really do think NovusDies rolls his eyes quite heavily at times whenever I get off onto one of my whines, since it tends to be repetitive *laughs* :tongue: )
  • tempe987
    tempe987 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have posted on the general forum a couple of times, and members here have invited me to join y'all! Thanks!

I have always struggled with my weight. Most recently, in December 2019, I found myself weighing 435lbs. I was half-heartedly watching what I was eating after the first of the year and lost 14lbs. I got serious when Covid 19 shut everything down because we kept hearing how deadly it was to people with comorbidities like obesity. As of this morning, I am down 74.8lbs.

I have used MFP with success in the past, but like many others, gained it back when I got tired and/or lazy about tracking my calories. I made the commitment to myself that I am going to log consistently everyday for one whole year (April 17th will be my logging anniversary.) I'm not on any kind of timeline. I truly want to lose to be healthier and feel better.

I walk a lot for exercise. I try to get 10,000 steps per day, with about 6000 of those from a dedicated walk about six days a week.

I have enjoyed lurking around this board. I like data and numbers and seeing patterns and trends, but y'all put me to shame with your level of detail. 😆 I look forward to spending more time learning from and with y'all!

I am a lurker too and I am trying to be more active on the boards, I find it really helps me to engage with others.
    Congratulations on your 74.8lb loss!

P.s. I am also a Mrs. Smith!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    well i was 345 pounds when i restarted my fitness pal about 2 weeks ago .i lost over 100 pounds about 3 years ago but then i wrecked up my knee and being shut in with covid i put it all back on .i am a 54 year old women from canada. knee is still wrecked up but they will not do surgery till i lose weight. i also had a heart stint put in about a year and a half ago and i have both high blood pressure (controlled) and diabetic (controlled with pills but getting high reading last check. likely the staying in during covid) so i need to lose this weight but i know it will not be easy

Hi @margaretlunan2 ,

Welcome.

The expression that comes to mind is:

"Having weight is hard. Losing weight is hard. Choose your hard."

For you the "having weight" side is disproportionately harder than what you will go through to lose it. Every 10 percent you lose should help to mitigate some of your health issues. The problem is you don't stop going through the other as you add in weight loss. Even with a good plan that makes weight loss fairly easy most days it adds to the total of your hardship.

I think the key here is to be aware of it and be especially kind to yourself as you go forward. Know when to back off a little so that your total amount of hardship remains manageable because it is likely that food control will be the first thing you ditch when pushed just too far even though that is your road to improvement.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Hi! I have posted on the general forum a couple of times, and members here have invited me to join y'all! Thanks!

I have always struggled with my weight. Most recently, in December 2019, I found myself weighing 435lbs. I was half-heartedly watching what I was eating after the first of the year and lost 14lbs. I got serious when Covid 19 shut everything down because we kept hearing how deadly it was to people with comorbidities like obesity. As of this morning, I am down 74.8lbs.

I have used MFP with success in the past, but like many others, gained it back when I got tired and/or lazy about tracking my calories. I made the commitment to myself that I am going to log consistently everyday for one whole year (April 17th will be my logging anniversary.) I'm not on any kind of timeline. I truly want to lose to be healthier and feel better.

I walk a lot for exercise. I try to get 10,000 steps per day, with about 6000 of those from a dedicated walk about six days a week.

I have enjoyed lurking around this board. I like data and numbers and seeing patterns and trends, but y'all put me to shame with your level of detail. 😆 I look forward to spending more time learning from and with y'all!

Hi @Mrs_Smith_8002,

Welcome!

Congrats on the amazing weight loss so far.

I am curious how you feel about logging at the moment? As of today you have logged for 98 days in a row. By now, and with your previous experience, hopefully the amount of time you spend doing it is less. If not, let me know and I will point you at a thread that helps.

You have an excellent mindset and all that walking is definitely going to pay dividends. I hope most of it is on flat surfaces for the moment. If not, I would check into some knee protection until you make more progress.

• bmeadows380
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    Hi all!

Long time lurker, first time poster. Just over a year ago I was at my highest weight of 257. So far I've lost 54 lbs.

I started very slow, with a lot of thought and introspection (but that's a whole other post, lol). My first goal was simply to find my maintenance calories, and eat at or just below those. After a few weeks this became easy, so I bumped myself to a 250 calorie/day deficit. After another month, I finally felt ready to increase to a 500 calorie/day deficit. Just this spring I started adding in exercise.

For the most part, it has been easy. I've maintained that 1 lb a week deficit, taking logging breaks on vacations, and over the winter holidays. I just finished a 2 week diet break, which was a tough decision for me to make. I had been at 201 lbs, and was planning a diet break once i broke in to the 190's. But after a few weeks of hovering around 201, I realized that I was regularly feeling hungry, feeling crabby, and really having a hard time hitting my deficit. For the first time, my diet was feeling hard. So I decided to start my diet break early. It was mentally a huge struggle be SO CLOSE to my sub 200 goal, but the break was the absolute right decision and I'm feeling quite proud of myself for it. (Also, eating at maintenance was surprisingly harder than I anticipated. This break taught me I'll need to practice more often as I get closer to my goal).

Today is my first day back on my deficit, and it is kind of a relief. I'm a little hungry and over my calorie goal today, but I'm still below maintenance so all is good.

I love the sound advice and support of this group, and am looking forward to being more active in it!

hi @eliezalot !

You're doing a great job by the sound of it with a very sensible approach. Diet breaks are a hard mental game to win but I can see where they help, especially as you said the closer you get to goal. The refeeds and diet breaks thread in the forums (we have a link somewhere) talks about them.

It does seem though like you're stuffing yourself when you first take one - or at least, when you are still in a big deficit, anyway. Do be proud of yourself - that mental game to take one versus wanting to soldier on can be a vicious battle, just like the one where you need to slow down the loss as you get close to goal.

Don't be afraid to jump in wherever you want, to talk about your day, your plans, your irritations, or just get a rant off your chest :grin:
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Hi all!

Long time lurker, first time poster. Just over a year ago I was at my highest weight of 257. So far I've lost 54 lbs.

I started very slow, with a lot of thought and introspection (but that's a whole other post, lol). My first goal was simply to find my maintenance calories, and eat at or just below those. After a few weeks this became easy, so I bumped myself to a 250 calorie/day deficit. After another month, I finally felt ready to increase to a 500 calorie/day deficit. Just this spring I started adding in exercise.

For the most part, it has been easy. I've maintained that 1 lb a week deficit, taking logging breaks on vacations, and over the winter holidays. I just finished a 2 week diet break, which was a tough decision for me to make. I had been at 201 lbs, and was planning a diet break once i broke in to the 190's. But after a few weeks of hovering around 201, I realized that I was regularly feeling hungry, feeling crabby, and really having a hard time hitting my deficit. For the first time, my diet was feeling hard. So I decided to start my diet break early. It was mentally a huge struggle be SO CLOSE to my sub 200 goal, but the break was the absolute right decision and I'm feeling quite proud of myself for it. (Also, eating at maintenance was surprisingly harder than I anticipated. This break taught me I'll need to practice more often as I get closer to my goal).

Today is my first day back on my deficit, and it is kind of a relief. I'm a little hungry and over my calorie goal today, but I'm still below maintenance so all is good.

I love the sound advice and support of this group, and am looking forward to being more active in it!

Hi @eliezalot,

Welcome to LL.

You seem to have a very wise mindset. Definitely wiser than mine has been at times.

When transitioning back from a break I have learned to give myself the option of 2 or 3 days at half deficit to make it easier.

I definitely feel your pain on the break timing. I was at 202.6 when I made the mistake of doing a fair number of landscaping chores around the house over the course of a week that were not properly being tracked by my fitness watch. I didn't eat enough so I ended up physically fatigued and it wasn't going away. I had no choice but to take a break and to make sure it "fixed" me I ate at a small surplus. With the summer water weight gain the lowest I have been since then is 203.6. I am projected to be about 2 pounds lighter so even with the water weight gone I still would not be quite to onederland yet.

Your fatigue was mental and I have been through that before too. It was the right call to take a break. My only concern is that a break from fatigue whether mental or physical needs to have insurance that there is no ongoing deficit. This would be done by setting MFP to gain a half a pound a week during the break. Maintenance calories are not as easy to judge because when you eat more after being in a prolonged deficit your NEAT goes up raising your TDEE. Even a 250 calorie "surplus" may not be enough for some people but I think it would be for most, at least most that have gained enough to qualify for this group. I mean if we were highly responsive to an increase in calories, as some are, it would have been harder to gain weight. Some people think that is a difference in metabolism and I am sure that is a small factor but really it is really that some people have a higher response to the increased levels of energy. Some people are so responsive they gravitate towards underweight and have a hard time gaining.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options

hi @eliezalot !

You're doing a great job by the sound of it with a very sensible approach. Diet breaks are a hard mental game to win but I can see where they help, especially as you said the closer you get to goal. The refeeds and diet breaks thread in the forums (we have a link somewhere) talks about them.

It does seem though like you're stuffing yourself when you first take one - or at least, when you are still in a big deficit, anyway. Do be proud of yourself - that mental game to take one versus wanting to soldier on can be a vicious battle, just like the one where you need to slow down the loss as you get close to goal.

Don't be afraid to jump in wherever you want, to talk about your day, your plans, your irritations, or just get a rant off your chest :grin:

Thanks for the welcome, @bmeadows380! :grin:

I ate at maintenance last year, between Thanksgiving and Christmas (I didn't log either holiday, or between Christmas and New Year). By the end (especially after not logging for a week), I was so ready to get back to my deficit. I didn't have a hard time hitting my maintenance calories then; it all felt quite easy.

This time around it seemed like so much food at first - 500 calories could be extra meal! It felt so extravagant...until the end of the first day when I was a few hundred calories over my maintenance and still hungry, lol. I was mentally ready to get back to the deficit though, if only to finally break that 200 lb mark.

NovusDies wrote: »

Hi @eliezalot,

Welcome to LL.

You seem to have a very wise mindset. Definitely wiser than mine has been at times.

When transitioning back from a break I have learned to give myself the option of 2 or 3 days at half deficit to make it easier.

I definitely feel your pain on the break timing. I was at 202.6 when I made the mistake of doing a fair number of landscaping chores around the house over the course of a week that were not properly being tracked by my fitness watch. I didn't eat enough so I ended up physically fatigued and it wasn't going away. I had no choice but to take a break and to make sure it "fixed" me I ate at a small surplus. With the summer water weight gain the lowest I have been since then is 203.6. I am projected to be about 2 pounds lighter so even with the water weight gone I still would not be quite to onederland yet.

Your fatigue was mental and I have been through that before too. It was the right call to take a break. My only concern is that a break from fatigue whether mental or physical needs to have insurance that there is no ongoing deficit. This would be done by setting MFP to gain a half a pound a week during the break. Maintenance calories are not as easy to judge because when you eat more after being in a prolonged deficit your NEAT goes up raising your TDEE. Even a 250 calorie "surplus" may not be enough for some people but I think it would be for most, at least most that have gained enough to qualify for this group. I mean if we were highly responsive to an increase in calories, as some are, it would have been harder to gain weight. Some people think that is a difference in metabolism and I am sure that is a small factor but really it is really that some people have a higher response to the increased levels of energy. Some people are so responsive they gravitate towards underweight and have a hard time gaining.

@NovusDies, any wisdom in my approach has come from reading the level-headed advice from you and other forum pros. :blush:

That is interesting - I did not think of the extra energy needs from increased NEAT. Now I'm glad I accidentally overate my maintenance calories every day, lol. I have a lot to think about for my next break, which will probably be when I get into the 170 range (unless I need one before again). I'm also tentatively planning on having that be a longer break for maintenance practice. I also love the half-deficit idea for a few days - I think easing back in will work well for me.

Before the break I was at 201.6, went up to 203.8 during, and am back down to 201.6 today. I am not usually particularly goal-oriented, but the 200 lb mark is a big one for me. I suppose it will happen when it happens. But if it wanted to happen sooner I wouldn't complain!
  • bmeadows380
    Options

hi @eliezalot !

I ate at maintenance last year, between Thanksgiving and Christmas (I didn't log either holiday, or between Christmas and New Year). By the end (especially after not logging for a week), I was so ready to get back to my deficit. I didn't have a hard time hitting my maintenance calories then; it all felt quite easy.

This time around it seemed like so much food at first - 500 calories could be extra meal! It felt so extravagant...until the end of the first day when I was a few hundred calories over my maintenance and still hungry, lol. I was mentally ready to get back to the deficit though, if only to finally break that 200 lb mark.

Hi @eliezalot,

Welcome to LL.

@NovusDies, any wisdom in my approach has come from reading the level-headed advice from you and other forum pros. :blush:

That is interesting - I did not think of the extra energy needs from increased NEAT. Now I'm glad I accidentally overate my maintenance calories every day, lol. I have a lot to think about for my next break, which will probably be when I get into the 170 range (unless I need one before again). I'm also tentatively planning on having that be a longer break for maintenance practice. I also love the half-deficit idea for a few days - I think easing back in will work well for me.

Before the break I was at 201.6, went up to 203.8 during, and am back down to 201.6 today. I am not usually particularly goal-oriented, but the 200 lb mark is a big one for me. I suppose it will happen when it happens. But if it wanted to happen sooner I wouldn't complain!

I understand that! 220 lbs has been a huge goal mark for me since I started losing again in January of 2017; that was the goal weight I entered into MFP when I set my profile up (and at the time, I was 375 lbs). Back then it was surreal and such a far off point that I didn't really truly believe it was achievable even as I set it up. But now I'm hovering right at 230 lbs (trend line, anyway), and can't believe how close that goal point is! I would love to hit it before October 1st because the first week or two of October is when I see my GP next, and I'd like to cruise through the holidays sitting around that 220 lb mark then strive to get the next 20 lbs off in the spring and close in on 200. 180 lb was a pipe dream for me in the past and considered completely unattainable; now I find myself actually flirting with the idea of making it my next big goal post!
  • NovusDies
    Options

hi @eliezalot !

Hi @eliezalot,

Welcome to LL.

@eliezalot

Originally I planned to take a 4 month break/recomp period starting mid February to have an extended maintenance practice and concentrate more on the gym side of things. I had just gotten into the swing of things when covid closed down, well, everything. I scrambled trying to get some equipment for the house but so was everyone else and getting used was not working and new was just too expensive. I decided to return to losing.

I am a little concerned that I had to cancel my plan. I was following my gut instinct which has guided me pretty well up until now. I was planning on 4 months in maintenance, 2 months of losing, and 4 more months of maintenance. The idea was to give myself enough time to get maintenance right or wrong, spend 2 months evaluating and deciding what to do better, and then 4 more months before finishing my weight loss.

Ah well... I harp on the importance of adaptation so I have been forced to adapt.
  • tempe987
    tempe987 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Welcome, @Fred77!

I feel like many of us are on similar paths to you! I've only been part of the group for a little over a week but have gotten lots of advice and tips and made quite a few friends!
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    @eliezalot

Originally I planned to take a 4 month break/recomp period starting mid February to have an extended maintenance practice and concentrate more on the gym side of things. I had just gotten into the swing of things when covid closed down, well, everything. I scrambled trying to get some equipment for the house but so was everyone else and getting used was not working and new was just too expensive. I decided to return to losing.

I am a little concerned that I had to cancel my plan. I was following my gut instinct which has guided me pretty well up until now. I was planning on 4 months in maintenance, 2 months of losing, and 4 more months of maintenance. The idea was to give myself enough time to get maintenance right or wrong, spend 2 months evaluating and deciding what to do better, and then 4 more months before finishing my weight loss.

Ah well... I harp on the importance of adaptation so I have been forced to adapt.

@NovusDies, that is so frustrating! Adaptability always sounds so good in theory, but is much less fun in practice :lol:

That sounds like a solid plan to ease into maintenance, bummer you don't won't get to use it as planned. What is your new plan?

I've also had to adapt my exercise lately. I just started running again in March, doing C25K and then moving directly into C210K. A few weeks in my heel started hurting, so I've taken a few weeks off to let it rest. I miss my exercise calories, I miss running (I finally felt like, well, a runner!), I miss the impact it has on my mental health, I miss feeling like I was getting faster and stronger...

Even walking seems to hurt my heel. I've been doing some yoga, but again, down dog and other positions aggravate it too. I should go biking more instead (which I love), but I just haven't gotten in that habit yet. Oh well... I guess I just need to keep adapting! (Or, you know, finally make a doctor appointment, lol)
  • Mrs_Smith_8002
    Mrs_Smith_8002 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Hi @Mrs_Smith_8002,

Welcome!

Congrats on the amazing weight loss so far.

I am curious how you feel about logging at the moment? As of today you have logged for 98 days in a row. By now, and with your previous experience, hopefully the amount of time you spend doing it is less. If not, let me know and I will point you at a thread that helps.

You have an excellent mindset and all that walking is definitely going to pay dividends. I hope most of it is on flat surfaces for the moment. If not, I would check into some knee protection until you make more progress.

Thank you all for the kind welcome!

@tempe987 there are lots of us Mrs. Smiths! It's a fun club!

@NovusDies my logging takes me about 15 minutes total per day. I'm a creature of habit and have a lot of the same foods and meals pretty regularly.
    I also feel like logging is what I have to do to live a healthier life, so that's what I'm going to do. When I compare it to people who have to do things like take insulin or wear oxygen just to live, logging my food choices doesn't seem like a big deal.

Yes, I am walking on mainly flat surfaces. I injured my knee snow skiing many years ago and still do many of the exercises I endured in therapy. I haven't had any trouble (knocking on wood) yet.
  • deafenbaugh
    deafenbaugh Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    OK, more questions. What is NEAT and TDEE?
  • deafenbaugh
    deafenbaugh Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Welcome Fred, Mrs Smith, and eliezalot! I'm Luann and fairly new to the group. I always have questions. I don't post much but do read the post daily. They are very good with information and inspiration. I have 200+ lbs to lose so I understand how hard it is to relate to someone with just a small amount of weight to lose. I appreciate NovusDies and all the others insights and experiences. Look forward to talking with you and following your journey.
    Luann
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    OK, more questions. What is NEAT and TDEE?

Hi there!...asking questions is how we learn....I have lost 90 lbs and still have about 70 to go....

NEAT.....non- exercise activity thermogenesis....energy expended is for everything we do that is not sleeping, eating, or sports like exercise....even trivial physical activities that increase your metabolic rate such as typing, sewing, going to the bathroom, etc.

TDEE....your total daily energy expenditure Is an estimation of how many calories you burn per day when exercise is taken into account...

I have BED....Binge Eating Disorder and I am on my first planned 2 week diet break or eating my maintenance calories to help my body reset my hormones and metabolism....I am recording my progress in the posts...

I hope this helped you!
  • Desixer
    Desixer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Looking to lose about 150 lbs in total. Currently weigh 334. Done a lot of "starting" in the past, determined to make this different and stick to it.

Doing keto (not preaching it to anyone) and am about 10 days in and 10 lbs down. Biggest help so far is having my wife on board - she does the cooking 🙂.

I recently had a very well intentioned family member suggest daily walking since it's "not impact" and I found myself trying to explain that at this size, walking is actually an impact exercise. I've used an elliptical in the past, starting at just 5 minutes and adding a minute or two at a time. That's probably worth starting up again...time to get moving!
  • Ccricfo
    Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    @Desixer Welcome to the group! Many of us here have had problems walking when we first started out. I was convinced that my knees and feet were going bad because of the pain. I just started really slowly, walking around the block at a very slow pace. I've gradually been able to build up to 2.5 miles but it has taken almost three months. It has, however, made a huge difference in my state of mind, and I sleep much better at night.