Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    One thing I really appreciate about this group is no one is pushing walking. Entirely apart from the pain of carrying my poundage, I really do have feet that have had bone and ligament surgery, and have some misalignments, and weightbearing on them, whatever sort that may be, is always going to be on a budget.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    OK, more questions. What is NEAT and TDEE?

Hi there!...asking questions is how we learn....I have lost 90 lbs and still have about 70 to go....

NEAT.....non- exercise activity thermogenesis....energy expended is for everything we do that is not sleeping, eating, or sports like exercise....even trivial physical activities that increase your metabolic rate such as typing, sewing, going to the bathroom, etc.

TDEE....your total daily energy expenditure Is an estimation of how many calories you burn per day when exercise is taken into account...

I have BED....Binge Eating Disorder and I am on my first planned 2 week diet break or eating my maintenance calories to help my body reset my hormones and metabolism....I am recording my progress in the posts...

I hope this helped you!

Got it! :)

@deafenbaugh

The difference between NEAT and TDEE is often the reason why MFP's calories value will vary from other calculators that you find. MFP is designed to use NEAT, which does NOT included intentional exercise. When you go through MFP's guided setup and choose your activity level, that is to be your daily activity level without any workouts or purposeful exercise. Do you work at a desk job where you sit most of the time? Or have some sort of job requiring you to sit most of the time? Then even if you work out for 1 an a day intensely, you should still choose sedentary as your daily setting. If you have a job where you are moderately active - say a cashier, or you are at home puttering around the house, you would choose either lightly active or perhaps moderately active. If you have a job where you are moving quite a bit or something that keeps you on your feet a lot during the day, then you'd be encouraged to choose moderately active to active. MFP then expects you to log any intentional, purposeful exercise that you do separately, which in turn earns back calories to add to your daily total - so if you move more, you get to eat more.

There's guidelines around here somewhere that talk about step counts compared to MFP's activity ratings - most people are typically a little more active than they think and probably should be choosing lightly active (I think 3,000 steps is the cut off for sedentary, and 7500 is the cut off for lightly active). But that's only a 250 calorie difference between sedentary and lightly active.

Many people don't eat all their exercise calories back, but shoot for between 50% to 75% instead, unless they are syncing a fitness tracker with negative adjustments enabled which will automatically adjust your daily calorie goal depending on your activity. I don't have a fitness tracker than can do that and prefer myself to just log my calories manually and use 75% of them. The reason for the portion is that the actual burn varies between people, so we log a little less than we actually did to be on the safe side to make up for the estimations that the formulas use in figuring out burns - the values given in MFP's database use a general formula based on your stats to spit out an estimated calorie burn based upon a statistical table value of calories burned per minute per your weight - since is a generalization, they can be close or not so close. I've been told the walking values are actually pretty close, but others can be off - for instance, I don't use the elliptical trainer values because I think they are way over estimated compared to the actual effort I am expending when I use my elliptical since my elliptical is a cheap home one.

TDEE, on the other hand, takes into account all calories burned (total daily expenditure). so if you use a calculator using TDEE, they want you to include your regular exercise in when you choose your activity level as they assume you keep to a regular schedule each day and do pretty much the same routine every day. In the case of TDEE, you get one number that you strive to eat toward each day, and you do NOT log exercise because its already calculated into your deficit number. The point is a week's worth of activity, so if you are less active one day, but more active another and eat to the same TDEE number every day, it'll likely average out correctly, but if you find that your activity level varies quite a bit from day to day, TDEE may end up giving you too many calories or too little.

This is why I prefer the NEAT method MFP uses as my daily activity can be all over the place. Some days, I'm lucky to ht 7500 steps, though I try for at least that many a day; other days, like today, I'll have 17,000+ in. It all depends on what I get into. so I'd rather have a daily minimum set and then just add back in whatever activity I get for more calories. For instance: I burned over 1000 calories (and that's using 75% of my actual time!) today in my first 2 hours of mowing grass according to MFP's formula, so while I'm using a minimum daily deficit of 1500 calories, today I was able to eat at least 2500 calories and still meet my 1.5 lb/wk loss deficit level (well, I think I'm still in the ball park; I gave up trying to keep track of all my activity after the 3rd hour of mowing grass lol).

While MFP is designed to use the NEAT method and intends for you to add back your daily exercise calories, if you prefer to use hte TDEE method instead, its easy to do - simply use a TDEE calculator, find the calorie goal you should have each day based on your stats and desired loss rate, and then manually plug that in as your MFP calorie goal, then eat to that number every day. Give it 6 weeks and check your average loss rate over that 6 weeks and adjust your calorie goal as necessary to get to your desired loss rate.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    OK, more questions. What is NEAT and TDEE?

Hi there!...asking questions is how we learn....I have lost 90 lbs and still have about 70 to go....

NEAT.....non- exercise activity thermogenesis....energy expended is for everything we do that is not sleeping, eating, or sports like exercise....even trivial physical activities that increase your metabolic rate such as typing, sewing, going to the bathroom, etc.

TDEE....your total daily energy expenditure Is an estimation of how many calories you burn per day when exercise is taken into account...

I have BED....Binge Eating Disorder and I am on my first planned 2 week diet break or eating my maintenance calories to help my body reset my hormones and metabolism....I am recording my progress in the posts...

I hope this helped you!

Got it! :)

@deafenbaugh

The difference between NEAT and TDEE is often the reason why MFP's calories value will vary from other calculators that you find. MFP is designed to use NEAT, which does NOT included intentional exercise. When you go through MFP's guided setup and choose your activity level, that is to be your daily activity level without any workouts or purposeful exercise. Do you work at a desk job where you sit most of the time? Or have some sort of job requiring you to sit most of the time? Then even if you work out for 1 an a day intensely, you should still choose sedentary as your daily setting. If you have a job where you are moderately active - say a cashier, or you are at home puttering around the house, you would choose either lightly active or perhaps moderately active. If you have a job where you are moving quite a bit or something that keeps you on your feet a lot during the day, then you'd be encouraged to choose moderately active to active. MFP then expects you to log any intentional, purposeful exercise that you do separately, which in turn earns back calories to add to your daily total - so if you move more, you get to eat more.

There's guidelines around here somewhere that talk about step counts compared to MFP's activity ratings - most people are typically a little more active than they think and probably should be choosing lightly active (I think 3,000 steps is the cut off for sedentary, and 7500 is the cut off for lightly active). But that's only a 250 calorie difference between sedentary and lightly active.

Many people don't eat all their exercise calories back, but shoot for between 50% to 75% instead, unless they are syncing a fitness tracker with negative adjustments enabled which will automatically adjust your daily calorie goal depending on your activity. I don't have a fitness tracker than can do that and prefer myself to just log my calories manually and use 75% of them. The reason for the portion is that the actual burn varies between people, so we log a little less than we actually did to be on the safe side to make up for the estimations that the formulas use in figuring out burns - the values given in MFP's database use a general formula based on your stats to spit out an estimated calorie burn based upon a statistical table value of calories burned per minute per your weight - since is a generalization, they can be close or not so close. I've been told the walking values are actually pretty close, but others can be off - for instance, I don't use the elliptical trainer values because I think they are way over estimated compared to the actual effort I am expending when I use my elliptical since my elliptical is a cheap home one.

TDEE, on the other hand, takes into account all calories burned (total daily expenditure). so if you use a calculator using TDEE, they want you to include your regular exercise in when you choose your activity level as they assume you keep to a regular schedule each day and do pretty much the same routine every day. In the case of TDEE, you get one number that you strive to eat toward each day, and you do NOT log exercise because its already calculated into your deficit number. The point is a week's worth of activity, so if you are less active one day, but more active another and eat to the same TDEE number every day, it'll likely average out correctly, but if you find that your activity level varies quite a bit from day to day, TDEE may end up giving you too many calories or too little.

This is why I prefer the NEAT method MFP uses as my daily activity can be all over the place. Some days, I'm lucky to ht 7500 steps, though I try for at least that many a day; other days, like today, I'll have 17,000+ in. It all depends on what I get into. so I'd rather have a daily minimum set and then just add back in whatever activity I get for more calories. For instance: I burned over 1000 calories (and that's using 75% of my actual time!) today in my first 2 hours of mowing grass according to MFP's formula, so while I'm using a minimum daily deficit of 1500 calories, today I was able to eat at least 2500 calories and still meet my 1.5 lb/wk loss deficit level (well, I think I'm still in the ball park; I gave up trying to keep track of all my activity after the 3rd hour of mowing grass lol).

While MFP is designed to use the NEAT method and intends for you to add back your daily exercise calories, if you prefer to use hte TDEE method instead, its easy to do - simply use a TDEE calculator, find the calorie goal you should have each day based on your stats and desired loss rate, and then manually plug that in as your MFP calorie goal, then eat to that number every day. Give it 6 weeks and check your average loss rate over that 6 weeks and adjust your calorie goal as necessary to get to your desired loss rate.

THANK YOU. That was the most helpful explanation of this I have read!
  • deafenbaugh
    deafenbaugh Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I got it-thank you for the explanation. Luann
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Desixer wrote: »
    Looking to lose about 150 lbs in total. Currently weigh 334. Done a lot of "starting" in the past, determined to make this different and stick to it.

Doing keto (not preaching it to anyone) and am about 10 days in and 10 lbs down. Biggest help so far is having my wife on board - she does the cooking 🙂.

I recently had a very well intentioned family member suggest daily walking since it's "not impact" and I found myself trying to explain that at this size, walking is actually an impact exercise. I've used an elliptical in the past, starting at just 5 minutes and adding a minute or two at a time. That's probably worth starting up again...time to get moving!

Hi @Desixer,

Welcome to LL.

When it comes to sticking with something I think initially you have to think in terms of making it stick to you more than you stick to it. Phrased differently try to think in terms of how to make weight loss so easy you can go long periods of time without even thinking about it.

Walking is definitely not for everyone and some definitely need to be careful. It was initially too painful for me to consider. There is a good-sized woman in our neighborhood walking and she really kicks up the dust and never thinks twice about the hilly parts of the path. I do not know her and while I am happy she is out doing her thing I wish she was wearing something to support her knees. Of course even if I did know her I would probably not say anything unless she specifically asked me.

I use an elliptical. It might be low impact but it can still make my knees hurt if I try to up the resistance too much or they are already tender. It might be the quality of my machine though. I didn't buy the cheapest but I would still consider it a low end model.
    Options
    Yes, at the moment walking for exercise is right out. I have to save my standing budget for ADLs. When I lose enough weight that the ADLs don't leave my feet sore in the evening, then I can consider walking for exercise. But I don't view it as productive to walk and then be unable to cook dinner.
    Options
    As a rule I use timers for anything over two minutes and go sit down when I'm cooking. There's very little that has to be actually stood over and supervised. (Boiled custards, but I don't make those when dieting.) The 38 pounds I've lost have increased my standing budget greatly, but I still very much have one. I admit, it's kind of exciting and inspirational thinking of how much it will increase with another ten pounds off. That sort of thing, along with fitting into sizes that I wore in high school is a constant motivator.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    As a rule I use timers for anything over two minutes and go sit down when I'm cooking. There's very little that has to be actually stood over and supervised. (Boiled custards, but I don't make those when dieting.) The 38 pounds I've lost have increased my standing budget greatly, but I still very much have one. I admit, it's kind of exciting and inspirational thinking of how much it will increase with another ten pounds off. That sort of thing, along with fitting into sizes that I wore in high school is a constant motivator.

I should have used a timer. It might have helped me see the progress sooner. I knew I was standing longer but I didn't have a metric to determine the amount of improvement. I do remember that 27 pounds was the first time I noticed it getting slightly (very slightly) less painful to stand.

• deafenbaugh
    deafenbaugh Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. Visit often-there is a lot of good information and lots of support. Look forward to following your journey. Luann
  • NovusDies
    Options
    gin_rummy wrote: »
    Hello everyone! Thought I'd better introduce myself as I just joined the group. Apologies in advance for length.

I'm 35 years old, from the UK, 5'6, and weigh.....well we'll get to that. I've been on and off MFP for years, but really it's been off for the last 2 years (and I don't know where the time went!)

I always gave my highest weight as Feb 2016 at 364lb (26 stone). That was when I separated from my husband and found a level of motivation I'd never previously had, and I got down to 23st in a little over a year. It was bloody hard work, but the results were undeniable, if slow. But achieving that took up basically my whole life. I was a hermit, only going out for work and the essentials, no social life. So no eating out, no going along with the crowd, no stick-thin husband wolfing down whatever he liked. And having no life meant I had the time to be really obsessive over planning and calculating every morsel, as well as the time to cook.

Then....autumn 2017 I reconciled with the husband! And this has been brilliant and we're going strong and very happy. But it's been disastrous for my weight! Suddenly eating out was a weekly thing, I stopped doing all that planning and prepping. At the same time I started a new job where there were no fridges available so I couldn't bring lunch in, had to buy from the canteen (although admittedly I only stayed in that job 4 months!) But mostly, being so happy meant I no longer had any of the factors that were motivating me to lose weight! After spending most of my life struggling with depression, financially, and various other battles, suddenly things were great - and rather than make myself miserable by being restrictive and devoting hours and hours to food planning etc. I just wanted to relax and enjoy life. And that's what I did, with gusto! MFP eventually went out the window entirely. A couple of times I had good intentions and made a half-hearted attempt to get back into it but I never had the resolve to stick it out. Plus work exploded in Jan 2019 and free time has been a very rare resource ever since.

Fast forward to this year.....and by the time we went into lockdown in March I was nudging at 26 stone again :( But I thought hey, here's a great opportunity - no more office biscuit tin, no time wasted with commuting, no more canteen lunches - I can really take control, avoid temptation, and build up some good habits. Well.....it hasn't worked out remotely like that. Big surprise!!! I lead a fairly complex team and between moving them to home working, having multiple people need long term leave, and an explosion of work demands - it's been incredibly tough indeed. I never thought I'd miss dashing round the site from one meeting to the next, but it turns out that does a lot to get the blood pumping, clear the mind, and at least burn a handful of calories- clicking between Skype meetings is not nearly enough of a mental or physical break. My typical day starts about 9am and I'm often still working past midnight, sometimes it's been silly hours like 3am before I stop. So there's been lots of stress eating, lots of bad decisions, more booze after work than there should be to help me relax, not enough sleep....and husband is a keyworker whose shifts suddenly went from 8 hours long to 12 hours long, working 11 or 12 days out of each 2 week period. So cooking and such has also been difficult to achieve. I've still been stepping on the scale but the number has been climbing and I've not been logging it.

Husband and I finally had a breather last week with a full week off together. We treated it as a holiday even though we couldn't travel, so there were take outs and drinks and snacks - although also a couple of days out walking in the countryside, which was very strange for me as I've barely left the house in 4 months! It was good times and a much needed refreshment. However, we also took the time to have some serious discussions, including about weight loss. Even my husband is feeling the need to - he's still in good shape really, in fact he's precisely 0.8lb above the 'healthy' weight for his height - but he used to be right at the bottom end of that range and much skinnier and fitter. It's been a slow and steady creep ever since he changed career and is no longer doing manual labour and he is getting frustrated that he gets out of breath doing things that used to be as easy as blinking. For me, the problem is of course more serious - but then I've never in my whole life been a healthy weight, so in many ways I don't know what I'm missing!

Anyway, we have decided to put in a proper effort now - and the fact that we are doing it together really gives me faith that we will succeed. In the past it's always been something I've had to do on my own because husband just didn't get it when I was struggling to stay on track, or insisting on weighing and measuring everything. Now he finally has some idea and we can share the load of planning, cooking and logging, even copying shared meals from each other's diaries.

So, here I am 3 days in to the new regime. Monday morning weigh in was a shock, I'll admit - for the first time ever I had gone over 27 stone, in fact I couldn't get a steady reading on the scale at all so I took a ballpark figure of 27.2st = 380lb. It was probably a fair bit more.

Yikes.

Happily, a lot of that has already fallen off! Monday I was p*ssing like a race horse, so clearly a lot of water retention after my 'holiday' that went straight down the drain, and after 2 days I'm already down to a steady 26.10 on the scale. Which is still so much more than it ever should be - I swore I would never let myself see 26st again - but it feels a lot more comfortable being this side of 27 again!

So that's my story! As for targets.....well, at the start of lockdown I set myself the goal of getting back to 23st and although I have instead put on over a stone in that 4 months that still seems to me like a good target. It's what I got to the last time I did this with the dedication it needs, so I know it's achievable. Based on my Monday weigh in that's 58lb to lose, about 15% of my total weight. DEFINITELY achievable. And once I get there I can worry about the next 50 or whatever else I see fit - but not until then or I know I'll get too dispirited and not stick with it.

Good luck to you all on your journeys, I'm really glad to have found an active group of people who get it!

Hi @gin_rummy,

Welcome to LL.

In reading your introduction the first thing that jumped out at me was the all or nothing approach to your previous weight loss effort. For most people that doesn't survive for as long as it did with you because their lives are not locked down as much as yours was. Unfortunately, as you have learned and I have certainly learned (repeatedly), that approach is unrealistic because there is a life to lead. Your approach was not flexible enough to survive living normally again.

I point that out not as a judgment but as a caution. You have to align your normal life with weight loss and weight loss with normal life. It means compromise and it means, at times, not losing as fast as you might want. Flexibility is important as is the ease of adherence to plan. Try to have a plan that requires the least amount of discipline and motivation to execute most days. Also try to have a plan to that can survive even if your husband decides to quit losing weight.

Oh and isn't losing water weight bizarre? I have done it so many times now but still just this week I have lost 10 pounds of water in the last 3 days and it is crazy to see those swings on the scale - although nicer to see go down then up.
  • FrecklePatch
    FrecklePatch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I typed out a massive introduction and hit Done instead of Post Reply. :|

Short story, I'm Lori.
    Im tall and eat things I love.
    I weigh all of my food.
    I have 65 more pounds to lose, and have lost 25.
    My calorie goal is 1680.
    I am mostly active.
    I've lost and gained 80 lbs about 6 times.
    I am a recovering addict.

I'd love some new friends, please!

I have a subconscious fear that I won't lose weight unless I'm keto. Its ridic, I know. Just calling myself out.

I have a cold and am up 3 lbs, and my hubs has the same cold and has lost EIGHT. :'(

Thanks for listening.
    Lori
    Options
    Feel free to friend me, Lori. I eat things I like and not what I don't and what doesn't like me either, and am doing pretty well with it.
  • 28Haveitall2020
    28Haveitall2020 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hi Im Nina
    I have lost 12kg before in 2016 using MFP and loads of exercise and Strength training.

I have put on 30kg in 3years and now very serious about loosing that and then working on getting to a healthy BMI.

My sin: Sweets . I am just a sugar hippie and sometimes do binge which dérails my progress.

I do enjoy exercising but not running 🤣.

Xx
  • Ragamuffin14
    Ragamuffin14 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi Im Nina
    I have lost 12kg before in 2016 using MFP and loads of exercise and Strength training.

I have put on 30kg in 3years and now very serious about loosing that and then working on getting to a healthy BMI.

My sin: Sweets . I am just a sugar hippie and sometimes do binge which dérails my progress.

Xx

Welcome Nina!!! My story is pretty close to yours, in this stage of my journey I have been trying to let myself have a few sweets but if course that's rest out of hand still and I eat the entire bag of gummies or oreos lol and I know I can't go cold turkey, I'm miserableand the kids give it to me - they actually say I need to be sweetened up..... needless to say I'm not very proud of that part of my parenting lol.

I have decided to put one bar of dark chocolate on my grocery list and try to just have a piece of that when the sweet tooth hits.

Fingers crossed.
    Hugz, Lyn
  • NovusDies
    Options

Short story, I'm Lori.
    I weigh all of my food.
    My calorie goal is 1680.
    I am mostly active.

I have a subconscious fear that I won't lose weight unless I'm keto. Its ridic, I know. Just calling myself out.

I have a cold and am up 3 lbs, and my hubs has the same cold and has lost EIGHT. :'(

Thanks for listening.
    Lori

Hi @FrecklePatch Lori,

Welcome.

During the 6 or so iterations of losing 80 pounds did you do keto each time?

Please remember that while you have a cold you really should be eating your maintenance calories so your body has the energy it needs to fight the illness. This will probably make the scale go up slightly more but what is important is getting better fast. The scale will go back down soon enough.

It seems the challenge for you is to stop taking vacations from the weight and work on permanence. What will you do differently this time? How will you alter your habits and mindset so that portion control and activity are normal?

• NovusDies
    Options
    Hi Im Nina

Xx

Hi @28Haveitall2020 Nina,

Welcome to LL.

Try not to refer to any food as a sin. Unless a food is specifically bad for a medical issue it only needs to be moderated. Granted for some people certain foods are hard to moderate initially and sometimes forever. When you assign moral judgments to food like calling certain things "junk" food it works against anyone who has an "all or nothing" view. For some it opens the floodgates because they think once they have done one small thing wrong they might as well do more. So a single bite of candy becomes the whole box/bag and more.

In the right context candy is very good for you. An example is someone who is doing an long trek on a bike. After a certain amount of calories burnt the rider has depleted their glycogen reserves and will need some quick energy to keep going. Candy works well in those situations. Candy can even be medicinal for people that suffer from low blood sugar. At one time I had to keep some handy until I figured out how to eat to keep mine from tanking.

If your binges are occasional and last less than a day they cannot actually derail your progress. They may cause a spike on the scale but that is temporary.
  • FrecklePatch
    FrecklePatch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Short story, I'm Lori.
    I weigh all of my food.
    My calorie goal is 1680.
    I am mostly active.

Thanks for listening.
    Lori

Hi @FrecklePatch Lori,

Welcome.

During the 6 or so iterations of losing 80 pounds did you do keto each time?

Please remember that while you have a cold you really should be eating your maintenance calories so your body has the energy it needs to fight the illness. This will probably make the scale go up slightly more but what is important is getting better fast. The scale will go back down soon enough.

It seems the challenge for you is to stop taking vacations from the weight and work on permanence. What will you do differently this time? How will you alter your habits and mindset so that portion control and activity are normal?

I appreciate the response, Mr. Novus!
    Okay this is my 3rd attempt at a response. Third times a charm, right? Fingers crossed that I DON'T hit Done again. :smiley:

My many losses were narcotic induced starvation. So weight gain was always a trigger. Keto just worked briefly, once. I've been sober for going on 8 years. I've worked through that trigger with therapy.

I actively work on consistency and forgiveness this time around. This needs to be sustainable and I love myself. It can be done.

I'm grateful to have stumbled across this group.
  • Ccricfo
    Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    @FrecklePatch
    Lori,

Glad you're part of this group! This is by far the most active group that I've found in MVP...

Chris