Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I am going to do this one more time!….let’s all get our acts together this year!…I am so tired of being miserable!
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I am going to do this one more time!….let’s all get our acts together this year!…I am so tired of being miserable!

One day at a time. The past doesn't matter as you can't go back and change it. The only thing that matters is what you do moving forward. Today is day 3 of full weighing and tracking. It sucks! It works!
  • amnu_co
    amnu_co Posts: 21 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hey there hey ... 👋 Looking for friends and support!! A pre-diabetic diagnosis six months ago wasn't enough motivation on its own to get me out of the doldrums I've been in since covid started. Losing and regaining the same 20 pounds all year ~ I'm still 80 pounds overweight, what some would consider slightly over the hill at a menapausal 50 something, lol ~ and finally sick and tired of being sick and tired.

O.V.E.R. living less than my best life. Hoping putting myself on blast like this gets my head (and azz, lol) back in the game. Happy New Year | New You all ... cheers! 🥂
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    Welcome Amnu_co! You’ll be happy to know some of us are post post post menopausal. So no age barrier there. Of course we do have a few youngsters too.
    Take some time to read older posts and then jump in and we’ll do our best to support you.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Welcome!…we are a small but mighty group!…please join in and comment on anything!…ask questions!….no one judges or shames you!….we all have stories of why we are here!…
  • amnu_co
    amnu_co Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies for the warm welcome and lololo @Yoolypr ~ looking forward to learning more and getting to know you all. High Five to a great week!
  • coffee_and_mindfulness
    Options
    Hi! My weight has always been up and down, I lost 60+lbs before and got to a weight that felt good, but now I am way heavier than I was even before I lost that weight, and have 100+lbs to lose. The past 2 years I've been gaining/losing the same 15lbs back and forth, and although I'm glad I'm not gaining weight, I am looking to get serious about losing a good chunk of this excess weight.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Coffee and mindfulness! Who doesn’t need that? Welcome to our group. We’re all here to support you and each other.
  • pbm89gt
    pbm89gt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm Brent and I'm just starting once again at losing weight. I'm currently 340lbs. I've struggled with my weight my whole life. The most I've ever lost was 80lbs that was 10 years ago, it's a lot more difficult now that I'm older. I'm 48 and last year I was diagnosed with PVC with causes heart palpitations ever since due to the meds I've been fatigued. That and the constant pain in my knees and ankles I know I have to drop my weight, I'm tired of hurting all the time.
    I was told about this group and looking forward to learning from it. With so many diets and exercise plans out there it's overwhelming starting out again.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Welcome Brent! All of us have dealt with weight loss for many years. Don’t be discouraged. This is doable and it’s possible to succeed. Some of us are in maintenance, some actively losing or struggling a bit. You may want to read today’s post in Share Your Numbers by PAV8888. Much good advice there.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,614 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Coffee_and_Mindfulness and Brent. I'm on my second round of losing in three years. Managed to drop 110...hit a few bumps...gain a lot back but this group kept me in the game. So I didn't gain it all back, and now I am back in the groove. We all understand the challenge in finding a new healthy weight for life. Hopefully with happier knees and feet and ankles and .... :)
    Please jump into one of the threads. We try to kind of stay on topic - but things wander around a lot :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Waving hello on way to dealing with a couple of other issues. @Yoolypr are you talking Share your Numbers or Thoughts, Epiphanies, Insights, & Quotables?

That one was a "reprint" of what I wrote on the main forums Health and Weight Loss Category in the Keto Keto Keto! thread, I think it is the next to last post.

I think that almost all of Novus' posts in this group are beyond awesome and people should absolutely and at the very least consider them.

I wish I were more organised like some others are... would save me a lot of time! :lol: Someone asked today about where to start. Can you believe that I've answered this often sharing some of the things I did to start and yet I have no clue when and where to find previous answers to save me some time? :lol:

I gave "an" abbreviated answer to someone in the "for-the-ladies" thread. But truly in the end what will work will have to be customized for each one of us.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I've described it much better in the past, but this from today's post mentioned above, just as a suggestion to consider. I might or might not do some light editing. I really was about to step away.... here goes:

I am sure that there is a saying somewhere that what you don't measure and don't know you can't control.

My opinion only, of course, but I wanted to eat the MOST I could; while STILL achieving my goal of weight loss. I wanted to only consider and implement changes I could see myself making long term because long term maintenance was definitely on the radar for me given past short lived and failed attempts at losing weight (and my observance of people around me losing yet failing to maintain).

I GIFTED to myself the tool of LOGGING as ACCURATELY AS I POSSIBLY COULD. Because that would give me knowledge. The ability to review my logs. The ability to then evaluate what was working out or not working out for me. The ability to use the information to adjust.

There is/was a cost in time to implement that. The cost was disproportionately large in the beginning. It truly does get easier with time. But I decided that it was a price I was willing to pay. And there were side effects too. Side effects can be bad (more often than not) but sometimes they're good. The side effects of logging as accurately as I could were all good for me. Or at least helpful. Just an example I learned that by eating an apple or three could often postpone a meal by an hour or two and make it smaller. Ultimately saving me calories! I learned not to wait till I was extremely hungry before I would start preparing to eat and to maintain a more even intake.

And after this build up: Logging as accurately as I could.

--nothing in my mouth until fully logged by weight. fully logged by correct entry. entry cross referenced with government sources (used to be USDA now food data central and similar)

Yes. I am not talking after the fact. I am talking BEFORE.

The side effect especially in the beginning is a reduction in eating because frankly the effort is not worth it for a bite of this or that that you're about to have because it's just sitting there.

And a reduction in eating out (or meals prepared by others where ingredients are not known) because frankly it is difficult to log accurately when eating out. And an introduction of simple to log foods that would help take the edge off while preparing a more complex meal (see apples) which I could then put off for a few hours. None of these things were bad for me when I was Class III obese and implementing a significant deficit.

Sure. I now log after the fact. Loosely. Sometimes using "equivalent' entries. That's eight years later. A good six or seven of which I've been at a "normal" weight.

If you weigh what is in your portion control bowl (the person I was responding to mentioned portion control bowls) and implement what I write above you won't be wondering about what you're eating and what portion size to use.

You will see the calories that you're spending on each and every item.

And you will be able to implement substitutions and decide which items are worthwhile to you and which ones are not.

Do make sure you eat at least minimum amounts of proteins, fats, and fiber. Sufficient for good health (and yes, that would be about twice the RDA for protein probably. check out the protein calculator at examine.com) Beyond that there is a wide gamut of preferred eating methods. Which you CAN discover for yourself.

Your long term weight trend will be dictated by your long terms balance of Calories in vs Calories out. That's the holy grail you have to worry about. As an aside: be mercenary. Nothing is sacred. Some things will have to change in life. But they don't have to all change at once. and you can always try things and then try different things. Just keep the final goal in mind (setting up conditions that encourage normal weight by making choices that you see yourself keeping to long term) and start towards them a step at a time.

OK.... WAY too much computer time for this puppy today. at least I did manage to clean up the sidewalk and path and the car can get out tomorrow.... all in between postings! :wink:
  • kelliward1
    kelliward1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    👋 Hello there...I joined this group a week or so ago and never introduced myself. I'm Kelli, from Texas. I've been a serial diet starter...would do good for a month or so and lose a little weight and then let the old habits come back and gain back what I lost and more. Was diagnosed with high blood pressure in 2019 and changed my diet lost 20 lbs, but then went back to some of my bad habits and gained it back. Last April I decided enough...I had trouble getting up and down to the floor to work with my patient (I'm a pediatric home health nurse) and when I was doing martial arts. Plus I was going to test for black belt in May. I lost 15 lbs prior to my black belt test but didn't pass. One of the things they did mention to my instructor was my weight so I've decided to keep on working towards my goal of 125 lost. So far I'm down 32 lbs. (Gained a little back during the holidays). Also down fro. 2XL clothes to XL..woohoo!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Welcome Kelli! We work hard at supporting and helping each other. Please take some time to read older posts if you can. There’s some valuable information there. Looking forward to hearing more from you 😁

I’m from Texas too - Austin.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Hi, Kelli!
    Congratulations on your loss! That must feel good. And it is fun "needing" new clothes!

Glad you are joining us. The more active groups members we have the stronger we are. I hope to see you on some of the threads. Most of the names are self explanatory (the rabbit one is about how many vegetables you have eaten in a day :) ) - but sometimes the topics wander a bit.
  • jbrack381us
    jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I’m Joe. I need to lose somewhere between 200-250#. I have been back on the horse for a week and a half, once I found the horse again.

I, too, have lost 60-100+ more than once and had it come back on. Starting to track again and just needing some consistent community as I know that has been part of my success mode in the past.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Welcome, Jbrack. Glad you found the horse - it is hard to wrangle them back into place when they run off.
    Community is the best. Glad you are here.
    Hope to see you around the threads!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I always thought of horses as dangerous beasts!!! <nevermind><goes back to loggin dinner>
  • BethanyCK230
    BethanyCK230 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Bethany from Las Vegas. Recently left Weight Watchers due to the closing of many in-person studios and layoff of my beloved leader. It really forced me to evaluate my initial success on WW, current plateau, and how I want to proceed. I had great success with MFP in the past and especially like the breakdown of nutrient goals and Macros. Now just need to find my peeps here!

I'm 41 and have a goal to lose 90 lbs to get to what I think will be my healthy weight range of 160. Definitely need to chunk this into smaller goals, because that feels very daunting!

I gained approx 30 lbs in the last 2 years, which has greatly impacted my ability to do the things I love like hike, swim, etc. I was always an active 'fat' person, and lately exercise is very difficult. Trying to find my way here as well.

Happy to meet all of you, and hope to support/learn from one another.