Introduce Yourself

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,526 Member
    Hi, Bethany.
    I love your energy! Glad you are here - and hope you join us on the threads. Some are languishing - but I promise we'll jump right back in if they fit you at the moment.
    There are some very fine older posts/threads by Novus Dies - definitely worth reading for inspiration and a bit of "bit" weightloss wisdom.
    I've personally spent the last year gaining back a chunk of the 115 pounds I lost after an okay year of maintenance. I'm on my way down again because I really really didn't like how that weight felt.
    I too have always been an active overweight person. Being active is so much easier when you are lighter. Especially when you add a few years. I'm 59 (60 next week) and the knees like to remind me of every pound.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,721 Member
    Welcome Bethany! Looking forward to having you join us. We’re in various stages of our weight loss. All of us have lost or are losing daunting amounts of weight. It can be done!
  • Naz_2020
    Naz_2020 Posts: 79 Member
    Hi I am Naz
    I am 141 kg. This is the highest of my weight. I am so mad at myself for not being on track. One year and all my progress gone. I am an emotional eater. I had some big changes in my life over the last 1 year. I couldnt handle it and let myself find comfort in food. I know how to do it but I am disappointed at myself for giving in.
  • Yoolypr
    Welcome Naz! We’ve all been there once or twice or many times. You’ve done it once and hopefully have learned some things about your emotional eating. Read through some older post and stick with us. We’re here to help. 😊
  • lauriekallis
    Welcome, Naz.
    Your are taking the first steps back onto the path to a lighter healthier you. It is very very hard to get over the disappointment. But it can be done. For me I had to stop looking at my scale weight and focus on a new goal. Friend and I challenged each other to lose ten pounds in a month and that ten pounds became my focus for awhile. That was enough to get me back on track - and steer my eyes/attention away from my new weight which was just unbearable to acknowledge.

Sending you positive energy. Once you get back on track for a bit - you'll catch that high and it will be easier.
  • Genesis0414
    Genesis0414 Posts: 3 Member
    Hello Everyone! I am Julie and I turned the big 50 this year. Sadly it's at the highest weight I have ever been. I've never been a small girl but for the first time in my life, my weight is hindering how I want to live. My BP is no longer controlled and I started Metformin today. Being diabetic is something I said I was never going to allow to happen. I've lost and gained weight my entire adult life and I'm really tired of the vicious cycle. I hate the way I look and I hate the way I feel. I'm ready to make some positive changes and take back my life.
  • Yoolypr
    Welcome Genesis! We’ve all been there and sometimes repeatedly. But losing weight is doable - I’ve lost about 100 pounds. The real success is being able to keep it off.
    You might want to look at some older posts which have a lot of wisdom and experience.

I think the key for me was accepting that I’d have to learn new habits and lifestyle changes. Dieting lasts only as long as you’re losing weight or as long as you can stand it. New habits and knowledge last a lifetime. Start making some easy changes can live with forever. Log and measure carefully to start.

• lauriekallis
    Jeanie - good to read about you :)
    Your story feels so familiar. We are all on this journey - avoiding starving ourselves/remember to enjoy foods we love in moderation. Both very necessary components of long term success. Glad to have you on our team. Together we'll figure out how to live well - without the extra weight that comes from using food as our only coping mechanism.
  • chelsea121991
    chelsea121991 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi I’m Chelsea and I’m new-ish to MFP. I’ve yo-yo’d all my life but want to get consistent to get the weight gone for good. Last week I hit my highest weight ever of 230. Ideally I should be around 140 ish. My first big goal is getting under 200, then to get to 150 and then reevaluate my goals. I’m a single mom of four so stay very busy with extracurriculars and “easy” and “fast” food tend to be a default on too many nights. I’m working to getting all of outside and more active as a family along with cutting out some of the junk food. My position as a school nurse in a small school keeps me fairly sedentary so I’m also looking at ideas to be more active throughout my workday as well. I look forward to making some friends who are on a similar journey!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,348 Member
    I admit to being very much so on the "easy" and "fast" food category myself.

Where I would fail to deliver help in where you have to balance this against the multitude of peops you have to feed at home!

I don't see how a mom of four who ALSO works could POSSIBLY be sedentary (around 3500 steps a day, definitely under 5,000). I would think you would find yourself closer to the 7500 "top edge" of the "lightly active" category without even trying.

I guess it might involve a lot of school politics and such but as the school nurse is there a chance you might have a platform to organize 'during the work-day' "active breaks" (lunch walks or similar?), perhaps with a PE teacher involvement?

I'm probably from a way too far removed reality I admit... so maybe I'm tilting at windmills here!

But more the power to ya with four munchkins... I mean that's a heck of workday right there and then without even adding food management!
  • Yoolypr
    As a former teacher, it’s pretty amazing how chained to desks educators and nurses are. You’ve got a whole lot going on. While activity is very helpful and beneficial, weight loss begins at the table. You can’t outrun your fork and spoon.
    Perhaps you could pre-plan meals plus planned leftovers for a couple days a week? Start slow and easy - I would often cook double meals. Of course I only had two picky eaters to deal with. Another option is do the fast food but modify it for yourself.
    You’re dealing with a lot so just try to make slow and easy changes. Every little bit helps.
  • PAV8888
    Oh I 100% modified and continue modify fast food. From no mayo, add mustard, add slivered onion 3x (and it's just about the only add on that's still free! :wink:) , no butter (on all the breakfast sandwiches), adding extra round eggs to breakfast sandwiches (making them two egg ones) or adding an egg or an extra beef patty to say a double hamburger and skipping the fries (or on splurge meals I had even added a fish fillet patty to a mcdouble to turn it into a surf and turf!!!!!) .... the poor McD people try to hide when I approach! :smiley:

But at McD each egg is ~78 Cal (50g large round egg, steamed), each 10:1 patty (10th of lb) is about 92 Cal and you can add in the buns, 50 to 60Cal per slice of cheese etc. So if I can increase satiety for an extra 1 or 200 Cal and at less than the price of half a sandwich, or some fries... why not!

Other trick I found useful when losing with a larger deficit was eating an apple while preparing/logging meals... and not eating before logging. The apple would help give me enough time to do the rest without breaking down and attacking everything and everyone!
  • lauriekallis

Welcome, Chelsea 🙂

You have some great advice up there so I’m just going to say hello for the moment.

Hope to see you on some of the threads… if any appeal to you but they don’t seem to be active at the moment post something and they’ll activate pretty quickly!
  • Crabbyconnie123
    Crabbyconnie123 Posts: 24 Member
    I have had a crazy year so far!…I am going to do this one more time!..I have missed everyone!
  • Yoolypr
    I have had a crazy year so far!…I am going to do this one more time!..I have missed everyone!

Are you OUR Connie? Either way welcome!
  • Crabbyconnie123
    Crabbyconnie123 Posts: 24 Member
    Yep, it is me!….still alive and still overweight!….I am going to do this again…the weight on my body is killing me….it feels good to actually get back in control!
  • Yoolypr
    edited October 2023
    Welcome back! We missed you. You can do this - maybe a little differently this time. But it’s definitely doable.
    For me - at my advanced age- it was finally accepting that it wasn’t a temporary fix. It’s a life change and there’s no going back when you get to maintenance.
  • PAV8888
    Hi Connie! I still don't get how you can handle your zoo! I get a headache just envisioning all the comings and goings!
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    edited November 2023
    Hi all, it's been a while. Going to reintroduce myself since it's been years.

I've been overweight most of my adult life. I've had 3 major successes in weight loss, and 2 major failures where I fell off the wagon.

2009: Hit all-time high weight of 335lbs and committed to losing weight.
    2010: Low weight of 235lbs, hospitalized, stopped exercising, lost control of eating.
    2018: Eight years of inability to commit to weight loss leads to high weight of 386.6lbs.
    2020: Low weight of 285lbs, lost track of diet/exercising with Covid and quarantine.
    2021: Recommitted to weight loss, starting from 368lbs.
    2022: Lost weight and got down to 295lbs.
    2023: Dipped down to 285lbs over the summer, then back up to 300lbs by November (today).

I'm recommitting again today, going back to basics and tracking calories, cutting out desserts and toying with intermittent fasting. I had been maintaining for about 7 months without even thinking about it, but stress around work/home stuff started throwing me off track. I want to get back on the right path before I let myself go completely like I have in the past.

zfc65xtcgysr.png