Share Your Day

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    As long as they don't break faster!🤷🏻‍♂️ I stopped buying used washers and dryers because they kept breaking, and new didn't, as often. But I admit to being a bit shocked with a stove and fridge going at a place I know they're not abusing it
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Built in obsolescence! If they never break down how could you sell new ones? Eventually all things wear out even people!

I do check the ratings in Consumer Report along with online reviews before buying. But sometimes you just have to replace rather than repair.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,973 Member
    Options
    Built in obsolescence makes me livid. Especially when it comes to electronics, when even when you don't want to buy into the rampant consumerism, your perfectly serviceable product stops working overnight because of an enforced upgrade and you're forced to replace it.

Things used to be made to last. I have a few fountain pens that I use every single day that are almost 100 years old (the oldest hits its centenary next year). I have a working bakelite telephone that was made in 1902, and a working Singer sewing machine that was made in 1919.

I wish I'd kept mom's old twin tub when she died...

I like old things.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,640 Member
    Options
    I too would go for the Westinghouse gold.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Sadly we live in a throw a way society…..it is usually cheaper to buy something new….and yes, appliances break in 3s so be prepared!….I have had every brand of appliances known to man from top of the line to a campfire lol….I hate buying appliances….currently the house we live in had all new stainless steel Samsung appliances and I hate everyone of them…we have had them all repaired in four years….why and how I ever allowed myself to be moved into a small kitchen is beyond me…going from a huge kitchen with upgrade everything and lots of cabinets and drawers plus a walk-in pantry and a butlers pantry, to the kitchen I have now was traumatizing…..and this is why I have boxes and boxes of things in the garage…of course in four years I haven’t missed anything in those boxes!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    that's why I'm hanging on to my washer and dryer. Kenmore bought in 2004 and still both are working! Top loader washer, too :)

I have a tube TV in my bedroom that I've had since 1994 and it still works - as does the VCR on it (the last I checked, anyway!)

I prefer to keep things that last, too. Part of why I want to learn some of the old skills again. We have to replace our pellet stove this year because its completely warped on the inside and never did work right. Thinking in terms of extended power outages, we weighed the cost of going to wood which does not need electricity, or buying a new pellet stove which would then necessitate a generator, we decided to go with wood. And we found an old wood cook stove with oven! I'm looking forward to learning how to cook and bake on it!

I'm also currently trying to learn how to make cheese. Ricotta and Paneer were easy; Mozzerella took 3 tries and a different recipe than I had. I've tried cottage cheese 3 times and failed all 3, so I'm going to Amazon and buying a different cheese making book to see if they can give me some tips on what I'm doing wrong because I'm following the recipe to a T in the other book and not getting anywhere.

Though I did accidently make really good small curd cottage cheese the other day while attempting to make more mozzerella........
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Bmeadows - interesting thing about cheese making is the water. Several sources say not to use tap or city water because the chemicals used at the water plant affect making cheeses. Might try distilled or bottled water?
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I am using distilled water, and making sure that I don’t have ultra pasteurized milk too
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I am using distilled water, and making sure that I don’t have ultra pasteurized milk too

Good work! Let us know how the cheesemaking works out. Maybe post some recipes?
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    the paneer did turn out good, and ricotta is rather easy since you just use citric acid or vinegar to curdle the milk.

And homemade buttermilk from culture is fantastic stuff! Much thicker than the store bought quarts, and helps things rise so much better! I'll be keeping that culture for sure!

the one time I got mozz to work it was wonderful. I'm finding that homemade cheese is so much more filling than storebought cheeses, so I really do want to get it to work right!

• Yoolypr
    Options
    Wow B! I’ve done the ricotta but the mozzarella never was right for me. I used rennet. I need to find a different recipe.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I will continue buying ready made cheese at the grocery store!
  • jenniferelizabethwiseman
    Options
    Having a very hard week--not doing a good job of balancing work demands with my time off and have found myself not taking good care of my needs. I gained 4 lbs with my chorus retreat and it isn't going away, which is really frustrating, and I feel like I can't say things about how I am feeling to my husband and friends because lately they have been less supportive--feeling like I am constantly getting attention for my weight loss and saying they feel uncomfortable with it. And I need something fun and rewarding with the people I love, but everything recently that has been an opportunity to be with them has involved food or alcohol--example, last night my best friend invited me to join her and several other people for a meal at the diner before chorus, and I went, and ate, even though I wasn't hungry for a meal, because I needed the social time and didn't want to sit there and not order when everyone else was having dinner. And tonight my husband wants to go out for drinks after work. I am feeling so defeated at the moment! Thank goodness it is Friday. But even this weekend is stressing me out--I have a performance with my quartet and I don't feel like we are totally prepared. Just all around out-of-sorts. Thanks for letting me vent!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,640 Member
    Options
    I've been there, Wisewoman. And think it is important to hold on, keeping your eye on the goal and let yourself ride the waves without getting pulled under.

One of @NovusDies' announcement posts - Success-Forward Thinking - includes something along the lines of "You don't have to lose weight everyday - you just have to lose weight most days."

Hold onto that thought while you are enjoying your life and your friends. This weightloss/maintenance thing is a long journey sometimes it is hard to keep our bearings in choppy water. (see! I'm learning PAV)
  • jenniferelizabethwiseman
    Options
    @lauriekallis thanks--Just have to get my balance and mojo back!
  • luxia2020
    luxia2020 Posts: 55 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    luxia2020 wrote: »
    I ended up on The Influence of Meal Frequency and Timing on Health in Humans: The Role of Fasting from the NIH website. I won't say I could read through all the scientific jargon (I gave up once I started reading section 4). Still, the concluding section did give me something to think about!
    n6q9x7kf7fps.png
    As I stared at this image and read the conclusion, I realized I could benefit from following the left side. I think I'll give this a try starting this week to see if eating more of my calories earlier in the day and increasing the "fasting period" at night helps with my horrible sleeping patterns.
    So I've been following this almost to a T for an entire month now. Breakfast and lunch are 75% of the day's calorie allotment, and dinner gets the remaining 25%. The only difference is that my last meal starts at 16:00 and gets dragged out for several hours until around 20:30. I take a few bites every so often when I remember I was still eating dinner! My results?
    Turns out it works out really well for me. My sleep schedule was definitely more like a "normal" person and not a zombie! I felt so much more relaxed than I thought I would be. Thanks to this newfound "extra (day) time," I found I was a lot more productive than ever and so much less stressed! Interestingly enough, it also made calorie counting even more of a breeze for me. Now I have more room to play with for lunch (favorite meal of the day, I swear!), considering how much I care about dinner (as noted above). Of course, I still eat "dinner" since eating every 4 hours helps me with hunger management, but it's more like snacking something with a little more oomph than actual snacks.
    Ironically, this last week (I count a new week starting on Friday for MFP purposes) was the complete opposite of everything thus far:
    • night and day were flipped
    • first meal is 16:00, last meal is midnight, but I end up snacking until around 05:00
    I felt so sh*tty until I went back to following the left side of the image. I guess there is merit to following Earth's natural cycle after all! :*
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I think March got together with April for a big April fools joke on us all, since it is currently snowing outside and lightly sticking to the ground *grrrr*

My plum tree is in full bloom right now, the one that should produce this year for the first time ever, but the freeze last weekend and this dip into the upper 20's tonight may well kill that for this year. *sigh* And the peach is getting to first pink too, so this may well take it out too.

Stupid warm weather patterns! Why, Mother Nature, can't you leave it cold in February and March and THEN let it get warm, instead of these frigid Januarys, warm February and Marchs, and then flippin' cold Aprils?

We get January in January, March in February, April in March, then February in April, and it just murders the fruit trees :(

At least my apples aren't out yet and should survive this latest cold snap.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Well, it is always hot here….my hair is a curly mess today…the humidity is high and we might actually get rain….no use to put makeup on today because it will slide right off!…

Love the poem, Bella!

I do IF eating but not intentionally….I do not care for breakfast foods and I would rather sleep in the morning and prowl around all night….I eat from “ noonish” until 8:30 at night with most of my eating from 5:00 until 8:00…. We have a big dinner,a treat afterwards, and a TV snack….it is funny how what works for one person doesn’t work for another one….