Share Your Day

Options

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Sorry I have been MIA….grandson had his heart surgery Wed…..he is home and feeling great!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Laurie!!!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    I am still waiting for the liver birthday cake!!!! :wink:
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2022
    Options
    If I get out and push will the internet go faster?!?!?!!?!?!?

o2r3mhkld1d0.png
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,971 Member
    Options
    Yay Connie, that's great news! You must be feeling soooooo relieved!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Wow! This is awesome news Connie!!!! I would have been a basket case!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options

I just had a zoom meeting with Karin, my Disordered Eating counsellor (who spent most of her life as a GP and trained in disordered eating over the past few decades).
    It is very strange to talk to someone who is trying very hard to help me be happy with my body as is and give up the idea of losing weight. But, she is making progress on helping me to adopt a healthier body image/lifestyle approach.

I've negotiated a bit of a compromise with her :) though from the expression on her face I can tell that she doesn't really like it.
    I'm not willing to give up my goal to reach 75 kg.

Laurie, I read this again because I am soooo in the same situation.

I have lost over 100 lbs.from my highest weight. But like you, I am about 25 lbs. from my personal goal which at my height still leaves me in the overweight category. I’ve been stuck here about a year. In that time my doctor, cardiologist, ortho guy have all told me I’m fine where I am. I should celebrate my success, accept myself as is, and work on being healthy and active. And at 74 years of age that does seem reasonable.

However, that magical 🧙‍♂️ goal number is pushing me to keep losing!
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    So interesting to sense some parallelisms and hear of different avenues of hamster management!

I hear from so many that the calories, the counting, has become a restraint, a burden.

Apart from a few small breaks, I've been calorie counting, weighing my food and keeping an accurate and complete food diary for just over a decade now (123 months if I'm being pedantic). Even during the endless months/years of 'the big regain' I kept accurate food and exercise logs and continued to weigh and measure all my intake. I knew that - one day - I'd find the data interesting and informative, even if at the time I wasn't prepared to act on what it was telling me.

After 123 months, you'd think I'd be bored and chafing under the tyranny of the constant monitoring, right? Wrong. I still get a total kick out of it.

I must be a scientist in a parallel universe, because I love the process of maintaining an accurate record.

I enjoy reviewing the data and seeing patterns emerge - strengthen - embed or fade away to be replaced with something else.

I like seeing how my tastes and habits have changed and evolved.

I like being able to look back and see exactly what I ate on 23rd August 2009...or on a Rome trip in October 2018....or on my birthday in 2016....or Christmas Day 2019.

I like the endless tetris puzzle of seeing just how much tasty, pleasurable food I can shoehorn into my daily calorie allowance.

I like the portion-wrangling and savvy-swapping that enables me to eat a hearty portion of jam-roly-poly-and-custard and come in comfortably under 1500 calories, while still hitting all my macros.

And I like the way the whole process makes me feel as if I'm finally taking care of myself and making my wellbeing a priority. Once that would've made me feel selfish and self-absorbed; now I feel proud that I'm taking better care of this precious vessel and no longer treating it like a worthless piece of garbage.

Surely I can't be the only person who think that weight management is fun, and endlessly entertaining!? Not to mention that its rewards far, far outweigh its minor inconveniences. It's the gift that keeps on giving....
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Maybe you and I Bella are late life converts?

My general attitude is closer to your viewpoint than any other!

And the reason why I no longer log on MFP after they deleted my data without offering correct and free export options.

(Quickly scurries away to check on jam-roly-poly-and-custard🤷🏻‍♂️🙀😹)
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Wish I could give you an answer as it is not something I've ever figured out to complete satisfaction!

How are you feeling stressed wise compared to where you were a little while ago? I know that if I'm pissed off I tend to graze continuously, but in a panic or very big stress I eat not at all or very little without being hungry but when the stress reduces things don't necessarily get controlled right away. Being tired and being cold too

This is for me.

And I mention this because the associations had never really crystallized in my brain till well after I started losing weight.

What to do with the associations? Not 100% sure.

At times let them run their course at times try to short circuit them. At times use them as a refeed. In other words more mitigation in my case as opposed to attempt at complete cure.

Obviously optimal would be to get a complete handle on everything but you know!

I need a bigger 🐈, almost a 🐅 to manage all the 🐹. But all I have is a bunch of 🐹s barely keeping themselves in line! :lol: 😹
  • Athijade
    Options
    My stress has actually been a lot better since I stopped looking at buying a house, so the past few weeks. Though I do have a couple stressful weeks coming up at work that have had me very frustrated this weekend. Plus now I have a design job where I am remodeling 2 bathrooms.

Okay, so maybe I have more stress then I thought haha.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,853 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Maybe anxiety rather than stress per se? Being anxious and not fully in control of anticipated or perceived events sets me off to overeating. Fear of all the unknown future problems. 😱 Guess I’m a control freak!
    I think most of us have experience with eating to soothe jangled emotions or anxiety. I think for many it’s the root of life long disordered eating.
    I can’t say that I have conquered this problem. Sometimes I can stop myself, other times I just let it run it’s course. Over time, just recognizing what is happening helps me calm down and eat smarter.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I had a good day and ate right ( one day in a row! )….things are calming down with grandsons surgery over and he is recuperating quickly….his appetite has bordered on ravenous!….he is thin so a few pounds wouldn’t hurt!…..incisions were made on each side of his groin and this is how they reached his heart….amazing!….a small hole had to be made in his heart to reach the faulty valve and he had to stay overnight laying flat for six hours in ICU…he told us today it is the first time that he can’t feel his heart constantly beating…he thought it was normal to feel your heart all the time!….this is why this is very hard to find in small children because they think their hearts racing or pounding is normal…and now he can lead a normal life with no restrictions….he is on a temporary blood thinner and has to be monitored in June for his final trip to the cardiologist!…
  • PAV8888
    Options
    So so glad about your grandson!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,638 Member
    Options
    So happy to read about your grandson, Connie. <3

Such a great discussion happening here - but I'm going to have to digest this all a bit and think to give a decent response.

Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes!!!!
  • Athijade
    Options
    Connie, so good to hear that your grandson is healing well!
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Maybe anxiety rather than stress per se? Being anxious and not fully in control of anticipated or perceived events sets me off to overeating. Fear of all the unknown future problems. 😱 Guess I’m a control freak!
    I think most of us have experience with eating to soothe jangled emotions or anxiety. I think for many it’s the root of life long disordered eating.
    I can’t say that I have conquered this problem. Sometimes I can stop myself, other times I just let it run it’s course. Over time, just recognizing what is happening helps me calm down and eat smarter.

I suffer from anxiety. Medicated and I see a therapist for it and my depression. It is the anxiety that actually has made calorie counting not doable anymore. Which is why I decided to try WW and their point system. Do I think the point system is better the calorie counting? Heck no. There are some flaws in the concept for sure. Does the idea and practice of counting points instead of calories work better for my anxiety? Yes. Thus why I have gone this route.

I was most likely eating to sooth emotions and anxiety, but it also does not help that I have no plan or structure on the weekends. During the week it is easy. I know what I am going to eat for every meal. Weekends things are constantly changing. I don't do well with change. That is a weakness of mine.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    does not help that I have no plan or structure on the weekends. During the week it is easy. I know what I am going to eat for every meal. Weekends things are constantly changing. I don't do well with change. That is a weakness of mine.

Oh the hamsters! And I get upset when people ask what I am planning to have for dinner! I mean today is the exception because yesterday I made 3KG of veggies in tomato sauce (and had one of them), so the likelihood of NOT having veggies in tomato sauce (think of it as the veggie oil stew with much less oil) are miniscule. But I normally only plan for coffee!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I wish my food plan was more structured and I could pre plan meals but I can’t seem to do it….I usually don’t eat breakfast….I don’t like many traditional morning foods and I don’t get hungry until around noon….lunch is almost always a roast beef or turkey or tuna sandwich….fruit or yogurt mid day….dinner is our main meal and uses the majority of my calories….then coffee and a sweet and at 8:30 a snack….usually popcorn or fruit or crackers and a string cheese…sometimes turkey sausage bites or laughing cow wedges….depends if I have any calories left lol….I stay up way too late and I might have low calorie hot chocolate or tea….I plan what is for dinner early in the day to know where my calories are but I rarely plan ahead to the next days dinner….

I also have depression, pain, and anxiety but I am on a medication that has really helped….and of course losing weight has helped me with all of these problems….I saw a psychiatrist once but I thought he was nuts and I am sure he thought I was, too….having a supportive spouse helps a lot….all any of us can do is take one day at a time….I have a chart on my refrigerator with blank squares…when I have a good day, I get a shiny star whether I have lost weight or not….I have another chart with blank squares of how many pounds I want to lose….whenever I lose a pound I get a shiny sticky jewel in the box….I like to see my progress!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,638 Member
    Options
    Still pondering why I'm (or some part of me) is so resistant to tracking at the moment - when I enjoyed the science fair aspect of it for so long :)

Came across this video - and it is worth watching - I think it might be related - but I'm not there on the understanding level yet.

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p0brtrb1/why-pleasure-is-key-to-losing-weight?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=exchange&tblci=GiBDM_GdDZ26KgrOO2N3OtRv7O7cHuf8Dki9Tui84DouiiCMjFQo2cTp8PHsq54x#tblciGiBDM_GdDZ26KgrOO2N3OtRv7O7cHuf8Dki9Tui84DouiiCMjFQo2cTp8PHsq54x