Share Your Day

Options

Replies

• MelissaAY1017
    MelissaAY1017 Posts: 39 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    It's interesting to me how many travelers (including myself) have such opinions about particular places - that don't always require more than one experience to create!

I've not been to Texas, but I can wholeheartedly say that I would take the entire supposed zoo of maskless philistines anyday over spending even one more layover in Atlanta, Chicago, or JFK. 🤣 If it's winter, Boston and Philadelphia are also off the table - along with any flight OUT of Buffalo that isn't the first of the day (with the plane having been in place overnight).

I rarely travel for work now, even before the unpleasantness - and I plan all personal travel to avoid layovers in locations I've had bad luck. The last three times I've gone to Florida, I drove the 17+ hours rather than flying because my options weren't appealing.

I am evidently... High-maintenance and demanding. 🤣
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Impression I got was that today was via Atlanta and 20 hours in order to avoid shorter ride through "smelly and rude" Texas airports (plural)!

Well can’t speak to her unfortunate experiences but I’d suffer just about anything for shorter flights. ✈️ I’m assuming her flights were through Houston or Dallas hubs. Let’s hope she never has to go to Amarillo or El Paso! 😱
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,640 Member
    Options
    All the things I miss by not travelling! :D

A new doggy - somewhere between 1 and 2 me thinks. Beautiful, beautiful, dog.... <3

Nah...he didn't get to Texas this year...still slowly emerging from Covid Cave :)
  • MelissaAY1017
    MelissaAY1017 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Cheers to new puppy friends! Furbabies are just the best. 😍
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    They are...and so freaking heartbreaking at the same time. The grown up pups who have lost their home/humans for whatever reason and are just desperately wanting to find their place. I often wonder if us humans deserve such loyalty. I see many dogs with their human half wrapped around their paws....but so many without.
  • Yoolypr
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Spent the morning shampooing carpeted rooms. Only three rooms but that shampoo machine is heavy and the constant refilling and emptying water reservoirs. Then there’s the furniture moving. I got my workout today! 🥴
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    And a clean house! 👍
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    That sounds like lots of work, Yooly. I still haven't given my place a serious clean...the arm is better, but still quite limited. Soon...lol....soon as in maybe June? July?....I'll do a good cleaning. Maybe fall?
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I may not be able to delay my once every three years--or longer--cleaning that long! :lol: Dad is threatening a visit SOON!!!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    There’s always maid services! I’ve only used that once (broken leg, hubby deployed) but it was worth every penny.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    There’s always maid services! I’ve only used that once (broken leg, hubby deployed) but it was worth every penny.

I am tempted to do this for my bathrooms and kitchen. I try, but with my back and hip issues along with the chronic fatigue things get away from me. I may have to look how much it would cost. It would be worth it to have someone who can mop the floors better then I can and can scrub the toilet and tub.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »

I had a couple of boys on my street come in to vacuum and mop a few times in the fall when I couldn't do anything. Nice kids and I payed them fairly which put them over the moon :)

But, unfortunately, the gimp arm = not being able to work for awhile. So though it would be worth every penny, the pennys are in short supply at the moment and I have to keep some on reserve for treats.

I just had a zoom meeting with Karin, my Disordered Eating counsellor (who spent most of her life as a GP and trained in disordered eating over the past few decades). Over the years (5?) I've been seeing her - she feels closer to a friend than a clinician. It is very strange to talk to someone who is trying very hard to help me be happy with my body as is and give up the idea of losing weight. But, she is making progress on helping me to adopt a healthier body image/lifestyle approach.
    Talking to her today (on my birthday :) ) was a good reminder for me that at this stage I need to wrap my head around eating well and nonobsessively (?). Like many of us, I'm quite adept at losing weight and very good at gaining. My body seems to allow me to go up and down in great leaps and bounds. I need to find that manageable spot that PAV so bravely reminds us about.
    That is no easy task though.
    I've negotiated a bit of a compromise with her :) though from the expression on her face I can tell that she doesn't really like it.
    I'm not willing to give up my goal to reach 75 kg. But that is a healthier, more achievable goal for me at this time in my life than my goal last year - that compromise gave me some bargaining points :)

I'm going to try to achieve that at a slow pace. Not by calorie counting or tracking (though like everyone else who had been on the diet rollercoaster most of their life my brain computes calories unconsciously so I'm not sure I will ever really give that up). But I'll continue with what I've been trying the past month-ish. From the past two years of tracking I know how to eat in a way that will allow me to lose weight, the portions/meals that I enjoy are all sorted out in my mind. The problem comes when I don't nourish myself enough - through determined restriction or carelessness. Then the urge to binge is irresistible. I'm starting to digest this knowledge that I've always "known" but not deeply enough? I'm maybe even starting to think of it as a strength. My body is hell bent on survival. And good on it. I've proven myself untrustworthy on food choices, no wonder it responds so strongly.

A young med student was part of our meeting today. It was fun. They both laughed at my switch to Kilos. The student maybe didn't understand how it might work. But Karin did. She understands that a lifetime of obsession with pounds is hard to give up and is open to the idea that upending that system might help a bit. (fingers crossed).

So that was my day so far.

Lots of love, fund, nice foods and drinks with some wonderful people lined up for the rest of today and Sunday when we will have our family celebration. And, I'm going to try to enjoy it without going bonkers as if it is the last time I'll eat in a year or something :)

Maybe I can fill up on the love????
  • Americanbabydoll
    Americanbabydoll Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Laurie!
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,972 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Many happy returns Laurie! Have a wonderful, well-deserved celebration! 🎊🥳🍻🥂🍾🎉🎁🎂

Your plan sounds like a sensible, balanced one to me... though, for curiosity, why are you so opposed in principle to just staying as you are? Why is reaching 75kg so important? Would it be the end of the world to stay your current weight forever? Curious minds need to know...
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Thank you!

The problem at the moment is those extra 30 pounds that came on since November. They feel bad. And...it would feel like such a defeat to have to buy all new clothes. Though - to be honest - otherwise I don't feel bad with this body :)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    How is your low-fibre maintenance plan coming, Bella? Must feel strange?
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Very happy birthday Laurie! Enjoy you special day. 🎂
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Hey!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! I wonder if we will have a liver cake equivalent showing up! Maybe I'll make one this weekend for you using Yooly's tricksy stuff with yogurt!!!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    So interesting to sense some parallelisms and hear of different avenues of hamster management!

I hear from so many that the calories, the counting, has become a restraint, a burden.

From almost the beginning, from the day I decided that my primary mission was weight management and weight management was exclusively a game of calories with every other valid consideration only coming into play once weight management was on an acceptable trajectory, I viewed counting calories as freeing!

As a maximization as opposed to a minimization problem. My "mission" is to derive maximum utility within the "restraints" of the budget.

Now did I play hamster games? OF COURSE I did. Primary was to get rid of the notion of green=good red=bad by deliberately setting to levels I knew I wouldn't hit so that the green/red association broke. Now we have the "red=slow down" association which is a good one for me I believe.

While breaking red/green was NOT good in terms of short term pure caloric "wins", it was most excellent in terms of hamster manipulation. And... long term adherence will always trump shorter term considerations.

The interesting part is: do I think that what you're doing Laurie would work?

For me I think that trying what you're doing would potentially end up with me pushing more than I should. i.e. I would adopt more "healthy / filling foods" to lose weight.

And now that I know which ones work fairly well as filling low cal options for me, I can easily "clean up" the food side, continue the activity level, and hit 1000-1500 Cal deficits. Which, inevitably WILL trigger a hormonal response and over-eating down the road a few days later.

It is almost amazing but there is a very strong correlation for me (absent external cues such as dad or friends or people cooking things you can smell) between how per-occupied my hamsters are with food and cooking and whether the calories have recently been on the plus or minus side of the ledger recently!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Laurie!