Share Your Day

Options

Replies

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Bob is a class-A jerk. What an awful thing to say after you’ve been so kind to him. Is it possible that old Bob has lost his “social filters”? Sometimes old folks (look who is talking!) lose the ability to censor themselves. Old guys especially think they’re being funny when they’re insensitive. My late father in law began saying awful things he thought were very humorous when he started exhibiting signs of Alzheimer’s.

Anyway don’t let this dumb remark derail you. You’re tougher than that!
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,797 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Yep, Bob sounds like a jerk. Being 84 doesn't automatically excuse you from being a jerk (not all old folks are sweet and lovely)...but Yooly is right that advanced age and crass remarks do seem to go hand in hand. My experience is that old age makes folks who were jerks in their middle age even jerkier, and can turn some previously adorable middle aged folks into newly minted jerks as they lose control over their civil/social inhibitions.

Don't let it needle you....you probably look simply gorgeous just the way you are....and a few surplus pounds can be re-lost but being a jerk is a much harder problem to solve.

Also...don't let it stop you being kind to Bob. Toxic comments can hurt, but losing your compassion and natural kindness can hurt your spirit in a different way.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Sorry about Jerky Bob!…

I had a good day but way too busy!…dentist in the morning, John has an MRI scheduled and I have a cardiologist visit Wed….Thurs John sees spine doctor again….sheesh!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,625 Member
    Options
    Hope it all goes well, Connie.

Walking up my street tonight, Bob was on the front lawn with neighbours across the street from him. As I approached the husband called out "don't worry - he's grounded" :)
    I said "did he tell you what he said?"
    He and his wife said "no"
    I said "ask him - and tell him that it was a really dumb comment to make to a woman" ... they laughed...I imagine they will get it out of him and rag him for being a dumb ***kitten***
  • bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Bob 😡

I hurt my left lower back exercising yesterday. I woke up several times from the pain and decided to call in sick to work because my full focus is on the pain at all times. Fortunately I'm on a diet break so I can eat whatever and not worry. Might have to order in, which I never do by myself and have only done three times when I had people over. I'm not even hungry or craving anything. It's 8.13am and I'm not even sleepy, even though I've been fully awake for an hour and I am not at all a morning person.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    Bob 😡

I hurt my left lower back exercising yesterday. I woke up several times from the pain and decided to call in sick to work because my full focus is on the pain at all times. Fortunately I'm on a diet break so I can eat whatever and not worry. Might have to order in, which I never do by myself and have only done three times when I had people over. I'm not even hungry or craving anything. It's 8.13am and I'm not even sleepy, even though I've been fully awake for an hour and I am not at all a morning person.

I'm so sorry! Alternating ice and heat will help it feel better. I have some scoliosis in my lumbar spine so I'm familiar with just how much muscle aches can cripple you.

• bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That's really useful advice. I ended up napping on and off for 3 hours and the pain is somewhat less intense but mostly I've been really hot so I'm gonna start alternating with ice.

I used to have a lower back injury but it never hurt like this before. It was more nagging constant pain rather than the sharp spikes whenever I move I am experiencing today. But hopefully this will also go away much faster if I just rest for a few days.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Oh, @bojaantje3822, hope it settles quickly.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Hope you have air conditioning Alexandra! Looks like a brutal summer ahead.
    Options
    We do, but not central air. It is trying to keep up but it's only getting partway there. It's hard.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I remember growing up in Cleveland when no one had AC! Luckily the hot weather is temporary in the Midwest. Hope things cool off soon.
    Options
    Tooth blew up at three am, and it took one of my precious hoarded pain pills to get it to where I wasn't weeping in pain. I'm managing right now because in an hour and a half I can go to my dental appointment and get antibiotics, and some temporary pain relief.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    You are both having a difficult time. Hope it passes very quickly.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,619 Member
    Options
    Yikes. Hope health improves for all three of you. Ibuprofen seems to work even better than opioids for teeth for me.

And Bob. Can join my innocent looking dad. Who commented I should add a kilo or two instead of trying to lose even more weight (his interpretation of maintenance, not mine). And the next day when I added a second 400 Cal frozen dinner for myself after we each had one for dinner (I was operating with 1500 Cal remaining)... he said: "wow: a second one. As long as it doesn't make you head out for a walk! 😡😡😡🤬🖕
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Old guys! You just gotta ignore them or forgive them. Someone changed the rules in the old guy world and forgot to clue them in.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,797 Member
    Options
    Clueless old guys...the world's full of them. Plenty of clueless old gals too. We just have to hope we don't join their ranks one day.

I've burned a lot of calories today. Two long walks accounted for 16,000 steps, and we also went for a 50km (30 mile) bike ride. Stopped at a pub for lunch at the 35km point and had a diet Pepsi and a ham baguette...nicked a half dozen of Kim's chips. Man, I love being retired!