Share Your Day

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    dishiznice wrote: »
    In a weight loss competition with a guy at work - the goal is to see who can get to 250 first (my overall goal is 200 starting from 400 last July). Main reason for the competition is so the guy I am competing against can get to 250 so he can get his ankle replacement surgery in time to recover for his daughter's wedding in June. I started in the competition at 307 in mid November with him being 276 and have since gotten down to 274 and he is at 265 now. The bet was for $100/each so I'd like to win, but I am also hoping he beats me so he can get the surgery sooner. Wednesday's are our weigh in days, so here's to continued weight loss and healthy eating/exercise habits! Also looking for more people to share the journey here with and share tips with, so please do not hesitate to send me a friend request! I am now down 130 lbs in just under the last 7 months. Look forward to getting more active on here.

130 pounds in 7 months ((130/210) x 7) is a rate of loss over 4 pounds per week. Are you seeing a doctor regularly to monitor your progress and, if so, is he checking you for nutritional deficiencies?

With 70ish pounds to go you are back into normal weight loss territory. This would normally mean slowing down to 2 pounds per week. When your fat stores lessen so does your ability to use them to make up for the energy you are not getting from food. When this happens your body will turn to muscle and burn it. This is obviously not ideal because you will end up leaner but with less tone. It also means that even though the scale is going down you are leaving more fat behind than you want.

Anyway I hope your friend hits his target and recovers nicely from his surgery in time for the wedding.

• Today I had a lot of fatigue and unexplained gut pain. (I have IBS and am in perimenopause, so either could be the culprit.) I took it as my body saying, "We want a rest day" and took it.

I did get about a third of the walk-in closet in the sewing room boxed and tagged and labeled for the eventual move. Part of that was taping plastic bags round a couple bolts of fabric I'm saving to use for historical costuming. I now don't want to make those dresses til I'm slender! They're very body-conscious through torso and hip, and very pretty.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    Today I had a lot of fatigue and unexplained gut pain. (I have IBS and am in perimenopause, so either could be the culprit.) I took it as my body saying, "We want a rest day" and took it.

I did get about a third of the walk-in closet in the sewing room boxed and tagged and labeled for the eventual move. Part of that was taping plastic bags round a couple bolts of fabric I'm saving to use for historical costuming. I now don't want to make those dresses til I'm slender! They're very body-conscious through torso and hip, and very pretty.

I've got a piece of velvet I bought years ago to make a dress for a friend, but never materialized. It was meant to be used in a medeival style dress, and I'd love to make it, but I'm like you - I'm waiting to cut that fabric!

course, I"m like that with most of my patterns and material, not to mention the pain of trying to figure out just which size I should be making anyway. Ready to wear clothing, I'm in a 22/24; but if I go by the body measurements on the pattern, I should be making the 32!

• I've got a piece of velvet I bought years ago to make a dress for a friend, but never materialized. It was meant to be used in a medeival style dress, and I'd love to make it, but I'm like you - I'm waiting to cut that fabric!

course, I"m like that with most of my patterns and material, not to mention the pain of trying to figure out just which size I should be making anyway. Ready to wear clothing, I'm in a 22/24; but if I go by the body measurements on the pattern, I should be making the 32!

There's been a lot of size creep in modern ready to wear clothing.
    My other problem is that until I lose the weight and possibly until I get the tummy tuck, I won't be the overall shape I need to be to draft the pattern. Most historical women's clothes assume a waist smaller than bust and hips.

• The way the dress is patterned is by basically cutting out a head hole on a piece of fabric, tossing it over the person's head, marking seams center front and back, and then pinning and adjusting until you have it at the perfect tightness through bust, torso, and mid-hip, where it flares out into the full skirt. So it will fit me whenever I make it, but it won't look good til I've got a waist. What this dress does for women with junk in the trunk has to be seen to be believed. And it's comfortable. No bra needed; the dress is self supporting if you did it right.
  • bmeadows380
    The way the dress is patterned is by basically cutting out a head hole on a piece of fabric, tossing it over the person's head, marking seams center front and back, and then pinning and adjusting until you have it at the perfect tightness through bust, torso, and mid-hip, where it flares out into the full skirt. So it will fit me whenever I make it, but it won't look good til I've got a waist. What this dress does for women with junk in the trunk has to be seen to be believed. And it's comfortable. No bra needed; the dress is self supporting if you did it right.

that sounds like a very interesting pattern piece - so would this be a dress all of its own, or can it be worn as a kirtle under some type of overdress?
  • dishiznice
    dishiznice Posts: 22 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    dishiznice wrote: »
    In a weight loss competition with a guy at work - the goal is to see who can get to 250 first (my overall goal is 200 starting from 400 last July). Main reason for the competition is so the guy I am competing against can get to 250 so he can get his ankle replacement surgery in time to recover for his daughter's wedding in June. I started in the competition at 307 in mid November with him being 276 and have since gotten down to 274 and he is at 265 now. The bet was for $100/each so I'd like to win, but I am also hoping he beats me so he can get the surgery sooner. Wednesday's are our weigh in days, so here's to continued weight loss and healthy eating/exercise habits! Also looking for more people to share the journey here with and share tips with, so please do not hesitate to send me a friend request! I am now down 130 lbs in just under the last 7 months. Look forward to getting more active on here.

130 pounds in 7 months ((130/210) x 7) is a rate of loss over 4 pounds per week. Are you seeing a doctor regularly to monitor your progress and, if so, is he checking you for nutritional deficiencies?

With 70ish pounds to go you are back into normal weight loss territory. This would normally mean slowing down to 2 pounds per week. When your fat stores lessen so does your ability to use them to make up for the energy you are not getting from food. When this happens your body will turn to muscle and burn it. This is obviously not ideal because you will end up leaner but with less tone. It also means that even though the scale is going down you are leaving more fat behind than you want.

Anyway I hope your friend hits his target and recovers nicely from his surgery in time for the wedding.

Hey Novus - yup, I am seeing my GP about every 3 months and getting blood work done each time, so far so good. Another checkup in 2 weeks. The weight loss has slowed from the 4-7 lbs a week and is now generally around 2-4 lbs a week. I had introduced some light weight training, high reps, and the elliptical too. Most of my exercise to this point has just been walking, and i've been averaging about 15-16k steps a day over the last 3-4 months at this point. I also do a pretty high protein diet, with carbs sticking under 100g nowadays as i'm no longer doing keto. Thanks for the tips, I would certainly be more comfortable losing 2-3 a week vs the 4-5 now.
  • @bmeadows380: It is a fitted, self-supporting kirtle, and yes, either a sideless surcoat or a houppelande. I also find that if you cut the pattern off at the floating ribs and cartridge pleat a skirt to it you have the 1450 early Italian Renaissance gamurra.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Today is a new day....every day is another chance we get to improve our health and make our lives better
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Today is a new day....every day is another chance we get to improve our health and make our lives better

I will give you one guess what my screen name means...

Today is the next possible day to take a step forward. It is not a lot to ask most of the time. Just a single step. The other steps belong to future versions of ourselves so I will let future-me worry about his step and just try to get mine done.
  • I've had a day where I was tired a lot of the time. (This is a symptom of a known condition I have.) So I didn't do much stuff beyond making lunch and dinner, but I did get to the gym this morning, and I've lost enough that when I do yoga I can tell, because my bend is deeper. YAY!
  • astidog99
    astidog99 Posts: 20 Member
    Well its been a traumatic day (the whole week has been - well trying!) it started off well.. up fairly early for a Saturday, drag 3 bags of clutter downstairs for the charity shop. Notice that the boiler is flashing again... hmmmm and I know I heard it banging again...hmmm was only looked at on Thursday... Anyway, in the car, drop off bags at charity shop, off into town for haircuts, hair chopped, realise 10 mins later I was short changed £10- too late going back now -enjoy your tip! Getting hungry now need food. Bacon toastie. Not too bad.

Asda next, managed to persuade mum that there is nothing she does not like in a chicken stir fry. Buy ingedients as needed. Mum is busy hunting down mini eggs- "because you like them" Yes I adore them so don't buy them me or I will eat them! Needless to say a couple of bags ended up in the trolly (sigh!) Nearly half killed myself trying to get the own brand diet cola off the top shelf (why the top shelf???) Get selected for a quality check at the scan and go till- sigh. Scan passed but it just takes up time. Into car, go home.

A late lunch - chicken slices on a bagle thin, satsuma and a mini bakewell tart (damm you Mr Kipling for bringing these tiny morsels into my life) all is going well. Letter behind door, Tuesdays hospital appointment has been delayed- sorta great news! I was dreading it and now its delayed (It's not life threatening... well its not at the moment as long as it carries on behaving) of course that now has me thinking about it for half the afternoon!

Rest of afternoon spent toying with the various options British Gas gave re extracting too much money from us getting stressed with that. Decide on some bits and pieces out of the freezer upstairs. It appears the freezer upstairs did not like BG man moving it to get to the pump and its died- lots of soggy veg and nibbles. Fantastic! Luckily not too much in it so no bit loss food wise just annoying! Start to bail out freezer. Have a stupid idea of trying to drag freezer downstairs so we can get another. Of course manage to get freezer stuck in the 90 degree bend on the stairs! Im trapped on lower part of stairs, mum stuck upstairs! (you cant make this up!) go back for another attempt with the electic hosepipe to wrap around the bottom so I can push, mum and pull and luckily we managed to unjan it and get it back up where it came from. Ok so that is going to need 2 strong people t actually carry it down in an upright position- we are not those 2 people!

So that leads to whats for tea. Sod it! Chippy! Fish and chips but just 1 portion between us. I think we deserved it! Tomorrow will be better... (won't it?)
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Antidog, with a day like yours, mine was fantastic!...it will get better...I hope!
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    On the bright side I fit into jeans I haven't worn in a number of years. The down side is that they are horribly out of style. lol! They're boot cut jeans. I think I'll wear them to work....maybe.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    So today yes on Superbowl Sunday here in the USA. I decided on a Sunday afternoon to go and brave a SuperWalmart, they had something I have been putting off going and getting to start a home project. So off I went, and while there decided to pick up some grocercies.

I saw something that totally made me laugh, and figured this group would understand the so called serving change.
    I happen to like Halo Top light ice cream, I realize it is one of many types out there, and some people like and some do not.
    So today I go to pick up a Vanilla Bean, which I have been buying for sometime now. And the carton shows 280 calories=4 servings at a 1/2 cup of 70 calories. Fair enough, but then notice right behind it, another Vanilla Bean carton. Calories 300, I am like What!!!! So of course I pick it up to look at nutrition label and start laughing in the middle of the ice cream aisle at Walmart. Because what they did, was make it 3 servings of 100 calories each of 2/3 cup serving. Oh the games that are played around calories and serving sizes.
  • bmeadows380
    I get it :) I had to get a few groceries tonight after church, and decided to stop by mcdonald's for a happy meal. I had to specify that I wanted the kid's size fries and not the small; the kid's size is 100 calories while the small is 230!

And lately, I've been training myself to pitch half the bun on my sandwiches. At Arby's, a turkey slider without cheese is 160 calories; if you toss half the bun the count goes down to 90! And my happy meal hamburger tonight went from 250 to 165 by pitching half the bun.

Yup, the games we play with ourselves!
  • I've had a rough two days with a fibro flare but it's enough better that I think I can go work out tomorrow. I just couldn't today. Getting dressed was about as good as it got. But tomorrow.

I'm really excited to see my body emerging from under the fat. My partners both say they see a change already. My back is slimming down, which is encouraging because I'd like to not need a full body lift. (It would be nice not to need an abdominoplasty, but given the loose hanging skin even at 285, that's probably a vain hope.)

And, well, apparently me getting stronger and fitter is something they like. I'm not complaining. (grin) Life is good.
  • bmeadows380
    *sigh* water weight is such a pain to deal with! I've been over goal in 2 of the last 4 days; however, I was never over actual maintenance, meaning that while I won't be in the 2 lb/wk loss range, I should still be showing a loss this week. My weight on Thursday was 268.3 lbs. This morning? 272. I know I didn't magically gain 4 lbs over the weekend, meaning its water weight. But water weight seems to take so long for me to drop and its just plain irritating!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,367 Member
    edited February 2020
    New to the group, but not new to weight loss.

I had quite a victorious weekend. Out of town Thursday morning to Sunday late afternoon. At out at 6 different restaurants and one hotel breakfast. Walked a good bit (lots of free time, my kid was in an honor band, lots of rehearsals).

Weighed 3.8lbs -less- this morning than Thursday morning.