Share Your Day

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    Dang Nics, I am sorry you are going through those health issues. I have no idea how you are able to do all of that! I struggle with working full time and then just living.

Right now I am just really glad it is Friday. I'm exhausted. Some of that is due to having a mild asthma attach last night due to someone smoking below my window. That is how sensitive my lungs are currently. It's annoying.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 3,199 Member
    Wondering how our girl Laurie is getting along? She’s been quiet lately…. Hope it’s time spent with plenty of self care and rest. Time to adjust and gather strength to move forward?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,139 Member
    She seems to be hiding with her puppy!😵‍💫
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,764 Member
    So a positive update. The picc line was placed Tuesday. I received 2 liters of Lactated Ringers outpatient that day, over 4 hrs. My labs from Tuesday were off (potassium was 3.0, norm is 3.5-5), so instead of starting TPN in Wednesday I had to go get IV potassium and redraw my labs instead. Finally got the nutrition startred at about 4:30pm Thursday. It runs for about 20hrs a dose, and I have to add IV multivitamin and IV thiamine to it before starting each dose. By my calculations I'm getting about 1400 calories a day in the form of 100g dextrose, 120g protein and 50g lipids, plus all my electrolytes, minerals and vitamins.

I've finished the third bag about 30 minutes ago and today is the first day in weeks I am not really dizzy. I'm still definiteky weak and I am still taking nothing by mouth at all except meds (right now 40mg nexium BID and Carafate 1mg/10ml BID). But I purposefully walked a very slow mile in laps around my house this morning, vs alternating between the recliner, the sofa and my bed. I stopped taking antiemetics, which I don't think were helping anyway, and this is my third day in a row with no retching (so far).

I am literally fantasizing about ice cold water at this point, which I rinse and spit with multiple times a day, and I have had 2 or 3 dreams about fruit, lol.

I see my surgeon tomorrow, I am thinking it may be back to trying clear liquids and seeing how that goes while I continue to receive I nutrition.
  • PAV8888
    edited January 28
    Well if you look at Minnesota having food related thoughts is not uncommon in the circumstances.

Also, and on this you certainly know better, Is there not still a degree of internal healing that has to take place? How long does it take for everything to heal?

In any case, very glad to hear about improvements!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Well if you look at Minnesota having food related thoughts is not uncommon in the circumstances.

Also, and on this you certainly know better, Is there not still a degree of internal healing that has to take place? How long does it take for everything to heal?

In any case, very glad to hear about improvements!

There is a degree of internal healing that has to happen. That's why I said that I maybe will get to try clear liquids starting tomorrow. I have been 100% NPO except oral medications for 7 full days now and have not had any retching or dry heaving since Thursday (x2 that day).

My clear liquids would be plain water, plain ice.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,761 Member
    Sending all positive thoughts and energy your way, Nic 💞💚💗💛💓💓
  • nicsflyingcircus
    So another update. No clearance for liquids today. Got the go ahead to try clear liquids Wednesday and if it goes well, I can try liquid proteins starting Saturday. If I tolerate those well, he will stop my TPN Tuesday as of my follow-up appointment.

I feel about 90% of normal, I ended up getting 7500 steps in yesterday and looking at like 10k today, yay!
  • PAV8888
    Take it easy sparky!
    You, obviously, need some time healing.
    Tell yourself what you would tell a Nic-type patient... and then listen to you! :wink:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    Take care of yourself Nic. Please.

Sipping a 7up this morning cause I am nauseated. Been trying to kick drinking soda, but 7up always has worked in settling my stomach. So I am giving myself some grace.

Yesterday was rough. Work was horrible and super busy, especially for a Monday. So I was already stressed out. Then I had my yearly physical and had to do the WHOLE thing. Problem is, one of the exams they do is very painful and triggering for me (yay medical trauma). So I ended up spending most of the evening fighting off panic attacks and break downs. Took my good meds and went to bed at like 8pm. Today I feel foggy and sick though.
  • Yoolypr
    edited January 30
    Hate annual physicals. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Hope you feel better 🔜.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Take it easy sparky!
    You, obviously, need some time healing.
    Tell yourself what you would tell a Nic-type patient... and then listen to you! :wink:

Believe me, they weren't like vigorous steps, just leisurely strolling round the house.

And resuming activity is good for me, as I feel up to it :)
  • PAV8888
    You go nic... carefully! :wink:
  • Yoolypr
    Hope things improve soon Nic! And Athijade too!

I'm getting concerned about Laurie. Hope it’s just being busy because we miss you 😘

Note to Slashni - yesterday I took out some cookie dough I froze in December. Cookies baked up just fine. I only sampled one but hubby snarfed down a lot more. He has a hollow leg and never gains weight.

• nicsflyingcircus
    So I started clear fluids today. Sticking to ice and icy cold water. So. Satisfying. I've got about 30oz down and no issues *knock wood*.

I get a new programmed pump and new, higher volume bags of fluid tomorrow and I get to run my IV nutrition over 16hrs instead of 20. Gives me more pump free time, yay!

And my middle daughter has a weekend off her collegiate hockey schedule this weekend so she is bopping home tomorrow night, then back Sunday.
  • Yoolypr
    🤞let’s hope that it’s a good sign that recovery is on its way. Enjoy your time with your daughter- how do they grow up so fast?
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,761 Member
    Good news, Nic. Hope you are feeling better, Athijade.

I'm not making any headway on the eating/exercise/getting my life back together front. Yet.

Have managed to do a lot of painting !!! woohoo !!! still working on the daughter in laws present for Christmas 2022 :) Finished one but it didn't really work and just created a whole lot of a chaos involving all levels of famly and saws :) It wasn't all my fault - I'll throw the eye into the blame game. The style of painting I began with was/is no longer manageable with my compromised vision. New one is looking good - though too large for them to hang in their current house - but we can make prints.

Had a house full of people this week - celebrating an out of town friend's birthday. And full of dog - my god dog and her St. Bernard and my LITTLE girl :) Lots of fun - but did nothing for getting my eating in order.

I have an appointment with a nutritionist today in two hours. I honestly don't expect to learn a whole heck of a lot - but do hope to jump start my weightloss again.

Foot is still a major problem. It just isn't happy with this weight gain. Walking is no fun whatsover. I'm maybe getting 8 - 10,000 steps a day and that is just this side of limping for the first half - somewhere on the other side for the second half.

Need to get the weight back off. Time to come out of the cocoon.
  • Yoolypr
    OMG Laurie- what I’d give to have your artistic talent. Can’t draw a proper stick figure myself. If I could paint like that I’d be willing to give up eating all day.

You hang in there girl! You have a lot going on in your life right now. Lots of adjusting. Give yourself a good grace period and do little things along the way. Time will level things out eventually. Hope the nutritionist will be helpful.
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2
    Some babushkas are smart! And comprehensive in their expression! *I* think your painting looks awesome. But that's a potentially dangerous observation given my (lack of) talent in art!!!