Share Your Day

Options

Replies

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,893 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure if my bad eating habits are considered binging. But, I’ve had mindless episode of eating everything and anything in sight and it’s never enough. Mainly this occurs when I’m stressed or anxious. I still succumb to crazy eating now but not as often.

I did have a couple of bad days while we had workmen in the house doing renovations this week. I hate having strangers all up in my personal spaces. So there was lots of munching and snacking trying to calm the anxiety - which did nothing for my stress or my food control.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I definitely used to do what I would consider bingeing. Just working my way through stuff in my house. A box of Kraft dinner, followed by a plate of nachos (tortilla chips with a crap ton of shredded cheese, melted in the microwave, dipped in whatever I had, usually loads of sour cream mixed with salsa, guacamole if I had it), followed by a butter and peanut butter sandwich, followed by whatever. I'd also hide/sneak food. Get copious fast food (paying cash), like not just a combo, but like a combo plus another sandwich or nuggets, extra sides, maybe a milkshake instead of a diet soda, and eat it in my car and dispose of the trash before getting home. Or, while out running errands or whatever, go to a restaurant by myself, Outback for example, and order like an appetizer and an entree all for myself, plus the bread, and of course, pay cash. I'm a night owl and I'd eat after everyone else was in bed. Couple sandwiches at 1am? Grab a big bowl of chips too, sure. And not moderate sandwiches. Why have 2-4 oreos when you can have 8 or 12? And it was cyclical. I could go stretches with what I wiuld consider "normal eating", then out of nowhere I'd go through a stretch like above.

I did alot of work on that before my surgery, we'll see.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    edited February 8
    Options
    There is binge-like behavior/overeating and full on BED. DSM 5 provides the current full list of criteria for BED.

As with many things in life there is a continuum and, at times, we may all fall on various spots on that continuum.

For the record I have ticked 1B only a few distinct times in my life. So I am lucky in that respect. And my self evaluation is that I did not and do not feel the "marked distress" of criterion 3 even after the incidents that included 1B. I was more perplexed as opposed to perturbed tbh.

But, given that it takes many bouts of overeating to get from normal weight to obese, I have few doubts that most of us who get there do engage along the way in at least systematic overfeeding with at least a fair share of binge-like episodes and behavior!

My own inclination/ susceptibility and what I've read on the subject says: proceed with caution and engage in MODERATE not super large deficits because exceedingly large deficits by themselves may trigger the issue

Yes yes then there is ms FlyingCircus Nic and bariatric surgery. And I see your post while I've been drafting this one! And the restraining mechanism post surgery is that you CAN'T succeed in eating a LARGE quantity of food because you no longer have that option.

But ever there and absent the ability to be "diagnosed" with BED because of the mechanical limitation, if I am reading the info correctly, having the tendency to engage in similar behavior still requires ongoing mitigation to achieve optimal outcomes. Which makes the work you did quite important and hopefully sufficient!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,669 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is all a bit overwhelming isn't it? So wish it was as simple as eating less :) la la la la :)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    In better news, I am succeeding in getting my steps in and my 70-80g of protein (the guidelines given to me by my Dr) daily. I tried iced decaf coffee today and tolerated (and enjoyed) it. I also made some chicken veggie soup (I pureed the veggies in the broth and diced the chicken very fine) to try tomorrow. If it's good and I do okay with it, I will portion it out for work lunches and freeze.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    not shredded I notice! working quickly you are! hope the experiment goes good!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    not shredded I notice! working quickly you are! hope the experiment goes good!

I'm mostly worried it won't taste good. I've been struggling with soups that meet my needs. I've had a failed cauliflower based soup (and I love cauliflower), and also a chicken, potato, leek soup... Which I have liked in the past. Stupid changing taste buds, lol
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Now that's interesting I did not know that the surgery makes changes to the sense of taste. I'd be checked about losing cauliflower! 😵‍💫 I sort of like it!!!!🙈
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Could the meds be causing altered taste 👅? I remember taking a high dose of antibiotics that made everything taste metallic.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Could the meds be causing altered taste 👅? I remember taking a high dose of antibiotics that made everything taste metallic.

I don't think that's it, two of the soup issues were back in December before Christmas, so before my issues arose.

I didn't end up trying it today, I slept in, thenI ran around with errands, then watched my daughter college hockey game, then we went to our local hocjey team's game. I did get sufficient protein in via beverages, but the timing didn't work out for soup, since I have to wait 30 minutes after drinking anything to eat, then I have to eat really slowly, etc.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Nothing like trying on clothes in your closet to see if they still fit to make you feel horrible about yourself.

I have 1 pair of pants that are not leggings, sweats, or joggers that fit. 1. And they don't look great but wanted at least 1 pair of jeans.

Purged my closet and got rid of a bunch of clothes I don't wear or don't like. Now I am resting cause it wore me out.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    That doesn't sound like a fun afternoon! I guess I am a little hoarder. I have a hard time throwing out clothes I don't wear. And I do have a bunch I fit in but do not use.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Maybe hang on to a few things that are currently a bit small for future success?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Well, I couldn't face the soup, so I tossed the container in the freezer. Maybe in the future. I did eat one egg and one egg white scrambled with just a little ketchup on top. The ketchup tasted sweet. Fun times. I also have a jello-whipped cottage cheese fluff thing to try later.

I bought some low-sugar yogurts to take to work with me. Those and the fluffs plus liquid proteins will be my sustenance this week.

Finding I am still a little weaker than I'd like to be. I only really see it when getting up from a deep seated position or climbing stairs or trying to speedwalk through the rain in the dark to a parking lot, lol. I guess that will take a little time.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Sounds like some progress there Nic! You’ve been through a lot. Hopefully better days ahead.
  • PAV8888
    edited February 12
    Options
    @nicsflyingcircus I know conflicting goals and all that. But you are still taking in the external nutrition right? Because dizzy / week is perhaps indicating a bit too much underfeeding?

Also ketchup sweet and salty... it IS if you've been abstaining.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    @nicsflyingcircus I know conflicting goals and all that. But you are still taking in the external nutrition right? Because dizzy / week is perhaps indicating a bit too much underfeeding?

Also ketchup sweet and salty... it IS if you've been abstaining.

I'm not dizzy, and when I say weak, I'm not having any difficulties with the things I mentioned, just notice the barest touch of it. No problems getting my 10k steps in or doing my activities of daily living. I'm increasing my calories as I add food to my protein drinks. My energy levels are very good.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Ah. Good news then. Could have mixed up the dizzy thing with other person's post. I know you and the doc are taking care of the Nic and you're keeping up the protein!😎
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,029 Member
    Options
    Hi all. The plan for today is a 100 calorie deficit by bedtime. A nice, achievable, modest little step in the right direction.

• Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,029 Member
    Options
    Today is Shrove Tuesday, which here in England means pancakes with fresh lemon juice and sugar. My husband and I only have them on this one day of the year, even though Kim loves them, because he says they seem even more special when they're an annual treat. I'm always pancake-maker, and I make them super-thin and light....

Here's the plan for how to still have a good day:
    I walked the dog for 45 minutes, and I've just finished a leisurely 70 minute bike ride on Zwift which burned off a further 380 calories. Then it'll be a bowl of homemade minestrone soup for lunch, followed by home-made Shepherd's pie and veggies for dinner, with a small glass of red wine to keep MIL company in the boozing stakes. Then I'll make the pancakes...if we follow the pattern of previous years, Kim will have 8 - 10 (!), MIL will have 4 - 5, the four dogs will share 2 plain ones and I'll have 1 (the last one, cook's privilege). I may skip it (I can take pancakes or leave them), but even if I don't skip it, all should be well.

That's the plan - let's hope I can pull it off smoothly! When alcohol enters the picture, my resolve tends to waver...I'm a booze lightweight, and even one small glass can lead to the munchies and send me off the calorie rails!