Share your Numbers

Options

Replies

• Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,784 Member
    Options
    Well said Pav. Hang in there Yooly. In the grand scheme of things two pounds is merely a transient blip which you won't even recall in 6 months' time. It's worth the minor setback for the major benefit of an improved digestive system.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Height: 167cm - 5'6''
    SW: 177.8 kg - 392 lb - 64.5 ΒΜΙ (May 2020)
    GW: 74.4 kg - 164 lb - 27 ΒΜΙ (+-2%)

LW: 74 kg - 163.1 lb - 26.9 ΒΜΙ
    CW: 74.1 kg - 163.4 lb - 26.9 ΒΜΙ

OL: 103.7 kg - 228.6 lb - 37.6 BMI - 58.3% TBW in 864 days

Weight class projections:
    Obese class II: Reached - 21.05.2021 - 401 days.
    Obese class I: Reached - 25.09.2021 - 526 days.
    Overweight: Reached - 19.03.2022 - 704 days.
    Goal (74.4kg): Reached - 29.07.2022 - 835 days.

Good maintenance week, no major fluctuations. I'll take it!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,615 Member
    Options
    Wow, Dante. It makes me so happy to read your list of numbers. :)
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,826 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Antibiotics kill off harmful bacteria but also those vital to gastrointestinal health. Research has shown that repeated antibiotics use can forever change the microbiota, altering the way it breaks down food and increasing the calories of nutrients absorbed. This, in turn, can increase weight gain.

I’ve been fighting a sudden, stubborn 2-3 pound gain after finishing my antibiotics. I did some googling and voila! According to several credible sources it may be the meds. And may be permanent 🥺 One medical journal said antibiotics are implicated in childhood obesity which for me explains a lot.

So I’m doing more reading and rethinking my eating patterns. Who knew?
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I’ll definitely be talking to my doctor about antibiotics when I see her in two weeks. Although much of this research is very new and unproven but I find it interesting.
  • lauriekallis
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I was thinking of you last night - were your antibiotics to fight off H Pylori?
    I had ulcers - both duodenal and stomach for almost 20 years. In the nineties they "discovered" H pylori causes ulcers and I tested positive for that. Went through two different rounds of the crazy multiple antibiotic treatments to get rid of the H pylori. Still have it. But - magically!? - the ulcers went away about seven years ago. Nothing changed. Just like a blessing of some sort - I went from constant nausea and vomiting to absolutely fine, almost overnight.
    Since then, there has been more research. One thing that seems to be coming up is that H pylori might not be such a bad bacteria - it might just be part of some people's micobiome. It is worth doing a little research on that too, if that is what you are being treated for. I still have it - and haven't had a gut issue in years (touch wood).

Keep in mind though - I'm no doubt outdated about H pylori - I was doing a lot of reading about it maybe 5-6??? years ago
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Yup - h pylori but no full blown ulcers yet. My second bout in 5 years. My doctor says it was probably asymptomatic since childhood. I spent the first six years of life in refugee camps with limited sanitation. The next few years were a bit better but still challenging. What triggered the symptoms, we’ll never know. But now it’s a familiar and annoying friend!
    You’d think the gastric symptoms would lead to weight loss but NO.... that gnawing gut pain goes away when you have a full stomach. Empty stomach - ouch.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,784 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    One of the reasons that I eat so many different fruit and veggies per day as well as at least two different types of fermented food (e.g. kimchi, sauerkraut, miso or kefir) is to optimise the positive effect on my gut microbiome. Guts thrive on variety...so I give mine a rainbow of different fruits and veggies - mainly raw - as well as different types of grains and different types of dairy (live cows' yoghurt and kefir; goats' milk and cheese; sheep's cheese etc...)

Studies have shown that diet plays such a vital part in a healthy microbiome...and rarely is a microbiome permanently damaged, though it may take a while for a healthy variety of good bacteria to flourish and repopulate your intestines if the antibiotics have practically made your gut a bacterial wasteland. But persevere and you may be pleasantly surprised!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Thanks Bella! I do all the varietal eating, fermented stuff and take a probiotic too. Hope it works. But that doesn’t seem to work on those pesky few pounds that suddenly appeared.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Apparently - a healthier microbiome does a better job of getting ALL the nutrients from food before it is sent off as waste. Perhaps your microbiome is just more efficient now?

Pain on an empty stomach is a duodenal ulcer symptom.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    My microbiome has decided to keep 2-3 extra pounds from nowhere. Doing my best not to fling the scale against the wall.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    That's a pretty terrible joke to play on your maintenance system. I hope it disappears, Yooly. I know that can feel so discouraging. But that MB has no idea who it is messing with.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,607 Member
    Options
    Lack of pain is good! Do a battery pull to re-set your scale to a new value! Clean up any lint from the mechanism while you're at it too!
  • Yoolypr
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Nope - new batteries, no lint. And how dare you insinuate I’d have lint lurking about!

So the scale isn’t lying. I’ve come to accept it’s a weird water retention thing because three pounds don’t appear overnight. Could be our tropical humidity 🌴now that rain has returned? The aggravating part is I can feel it but can’t move it.

Getting a hair trim today which might be good for a few less ounces?✂️
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Alexandra might be able to see a difference on the scale if she cut her hair - I'm not sure you will, Yooly! But that is going to go away. Your body is probably holding onto water to flush out the nasty bacteria that the antibiotics killed! (that thought just occurred to me - and it does sound reasonable).
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I agree with alexandra's hair! That said, since Yooly has actually noticed actual water retention signs and puffiness I think we don't need to stray too far from the obvious reason! :wink:
  • Dante_80
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Never take a diuretic two days before weighing yourself... :p

Height: 167cm - 5'6''
    SW: 177.8 kg - 392 lb - 64.5 ΒΜΙ (May 2020)
    GW: 74.4 kg - 164 lb - 27 ΒΜΙ

LW: 74.1 kg - 163.4 lb - 26.9 ΒΜΙ
    CW: 72.2 kg - 159.2 lb - 26.2 ΒΜΙ
    Variance: -1.9 kg / -4.2 lb / -2.56% TBW (in 3 weeks)

OL: 105.6 kg - 232.8 lb - 38.3 BMI - 59.4% TBW in 871 days

Weight class projections:
    Obese class II: Reached - 21.05.2021 - 401 days.
    Obese class I: Reached - 25.09.2021 - 526 days.
    Overweight: Reached - 19.03.2022 - 704 days.
    Goal (74.4kg): Reached - 29.07.2022 - 835 days.

• lauriekallis
    Options
    Or perhaps - always take a diuretic two days before weighing yourself? :D
  • PAV8888
    Options
    It sure looks as if you may have sprung a leak!😹

Or that slightly less of a cut has resulted in an uptick and that you're still on a slightly downward trend.

Is the heat limiting your food intake a bit?
  • Dante_80
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    It sure looks as if you may have sprung a leak!😹

Or that slightly less of a cut has resulted in an uptick and that you're still on a slightly downward trend.

Is the heat limiting your food intake a bit?

I'm eating the same. I think it's a combination of three things.

1. Two days of rest.
    2. Diuretic pill.
    3. A lot more exercise this August, since I had free time.

I'll have to adjust the calories slightly upwards, I'll wait another week though because September will be a little less exercise heavy.