Doom, Despair, and Agony on Me! (aka a whine thread)

Options

Replies

• speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies - I'm so sorry! What an inconvenience and headache.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I had lightening hit a townhouse I was renting once; lost a TV, a laptop, the transformer for my keyboard, and the modem from the phone company. My renter's insurance was great in getting the stuff replaced, but the stupid phone company would not replace the modem, even though I had not bought it; it was supposed to be their equipment. I finally got so frustrated with them on getting the run-around that I just canceled the account and went and got Comcast cable instead; much better. For one, I talked to someone from North America and NOT India who actually understood what I was saying, and for 2, they actually did what they promised they would. I've stuck with broadband ever since. Where I am now, the local phone and DSL is the absolute pits and I'm very happy that I live on the main road so I could get broadband.

My whine is that I can't seem to get the beast under control lately. Yesterday's drive to eat was insane - nothing would satisfy me and I was hungry all stinkin' day! And my brain must have been conspiring with my stomach, because my stomach kept chiming in that it wanted food, too! I've been static for 2 weeks now. I know I'm having trouble with water weight gains, constipation gains, and over-eating, so the truth is, I have no idea where I truly am because the scale is being skewed. Though I guess I can count my blessings that today was only 235.5 lbs, which is only 0.3 lbs up from 2 weeks ago meaning I at least haven't gained anything in the last 2 weeks, but its a toss up whether I'm truly static or if there was a loss in the last 2 weeks that is being masked or not, and if so, I have no idea how much.

There is a big reason why July, August, and September are my least favorite times of the year - and I live in the northern hemisphere, so for me, that's late summer. I'll take late winter over late summer any day, even living in the mid-Atlantic Appalachians where we get snow in late winter and spring doesn't really arrive until April!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Maybe there is something in the air because I have been extra hungry all week....I think it’s the extra exercise and my body really is hungry for more fuel....I was at 265 Mon and back to 265.8 this morning...if I swim much more I will have gills or webbed feet!...I am not upset with the weight because it’s the lowest I have been in many years...and I really am enjoying being in the pool...I know the pounds are coming off....Bmeadows I wish I could help you get through this but I have been where you are and it’s tough...you are so strong and so independent that I know you will figure this out and stay the course...I admire how determined you are!...enjoy your solo camping adventure!
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,320 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380 I struggle in summer, too. It always seems like summer should be easier, because there is so much good produce and fresh fruit available, and fall/winter is when I want to cook all the comfort foods. But last summer, I had a long plateau, and I've had one this spring/summer. I do also think heat affects me, but that's not my problem so far this year - we're just getting to the really hot months.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    oh dear @cesse47 probably a good idea to call it a day. lol.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I did the restaurant thing for lunch and will probably be over my calories today as a result. Our house was struck by lightning last night which has damaged several key systems. My house is a wire jungle because the entire hardwired portion of my network was decimated. Luckily I had some old switches and I have cobbled some of it back together temporarily until replacement parts arrive. The entire fiber optic box was blown off the house but to my surprise the telephone company made quick work of replacing it and I have landline and internet again.

HOWEVER, one of the key systems that was damages was the air conditioning system and we will be without air possibly until Monday. The house is getting warmer by the moment and the restaurant food was mostly just because it was a horrible night and no one feels like cooking or cleaning. I am only about 200 calories above where I would normally be right now though so I can still end this day in a deficit but probably not a full one unless I cut into dinner. I will make that decision later.

Needless to say my presence here will be sketchy for a few days.

The hvac was finally fixed today. Thanks to the need for ordered parts and the holidays we went 6 days and 18 hours without cooling. The humidity and heat here have been incredible.

Not everything is fixed yet but we are getting closer. The most recent discovery is the opener for the seldom used side of the garage is nonfunctional so that will be another 600ish dollars when we get to it.

I finally got all the part I needed to begin restoring backups today. Fun.

I have managed to keep myself in my normal deficit but with my patience at super low levels I will admit the scale hiking up 4 pounds in the last 2 days has rubbed me the wrong way. I think it is one of those deals where you are just not needing any additional unhelpful news.

I will also admit that my normal level of relentlessness has been stretched thin. I have gotten up and exercised every morning but I have not done much extra. It is just rude to come back inside and realize it is almost always SLIGHTLY more comfortable outside.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I hope to sleep properly tonight and start catching up with group posts over the next few days.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I hope to sleep properly tonight and start catching up with group posts over the next few days.

I hope you get some cool air soon!...I think I would have gone to a motel...when we lived in the Keys and there was a hurricane approaching, in anticipation of no electricity and no air conditioning, my then brilliant 19 year old daughter purchased 3 electric fans to help keep us cool!....SMH
  • NovusDies
    Options

I hope you get some cool air soon!...I think I would have gone to a motel...when we lived in the Keys and there was a hurricane approaching, in anticipation of no electricity and no air conditioning, my then brilliant 19 year old daughter purchased 3 electric fans to help keep us cool!....SMH

lol
  • bmeadows380
    Options

well, if you had a small generator that couldn't handle powering your whole air conditioner, it might be able to handle a few fans at least :) But I can attest that box fans don't really help much at all. The last 2 summers I made do with opening all my windows in the house and putting fans in most of them - the fans pointed into the house on the north side and out of the house in the south side to try to get a cross flow going, but my house was still uncomfortably hot all summer. This year, I broke down and put a large air conditioner in the living room and another in the back room, and together, they keep my house livable. And I'm not having to run dehumidifiers in the house this year!
  • NovusDies
    Options

well, if you had a small generator that couldn't handle powering your whole air conditioner, it might be able to handle a few fans at least :) But I can attest that box fans don't really help much at all. The last 2 summers I made do with opening all my windows in the house and putting fans in most of them - the fans pointed into the house on the north side and out of the house in the south side to try to get a cross flow going, but my house was still uncomfortably hot all summer. This year, I broke down and put a large air conditioner in the living room and another in the back room, and together, they keep my house livable. And I'm not having to run dehumidifiers in the house this year!

Fans help but only marginally in a high humidity area. In low humidity you can put wet towels over them and create cooler air. The only relief we received from creating a cross breeze in the house was early in the morning. Later in the day it didn't seem to matter if the windows were opened or closed it was almost always worse inside than out.
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Bad here as well. First the 500 yr flood ... now heat in 90's and getting close to a drought. Farmers are starting to be very concerned because of lack of rain.

I have a Cape Cod style house. We have a small window AC upstairs and one on the main floor in the living room. All other windows are closed up tight. I have a box fan on the floor in the living room blowing cooler air out to the rest of the house with fans in all the other rooms in directions to keep the air moving. When coming in from outside you can feel the temp drop about 15 degrees so it's keeping the house livable.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    By tomorrow morning all my data will be restored and living in its new home. This leaves 3 replacement cameras I have but have not installed yet, 1 smart switch, 2 fire tvs that do not recognize their wired connection, 42 more wireless clients to migrate to the new access point, 1 garage door opener, and whatever is wrong with the satellite TV that is waiting for a technician scheduled for next week. The garage door opener can wait until next month and since I have a stand in access point the tedious chore of migrating everything else to the new access point can start sometime next week.

Oh and I suppose I need to look for surge protectors that cover network cabling since that is how it did so much damage. All of the equipment was on normal surge protectors but the lightning destroyed where the WAN comes in and traveled the network destroying almost everything in its path.

The joys of having a home and business in the same location. Of course I may have put the business infrastructure back up for nothing if things don't pick up soon from the covid slowdown.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    After running around like a wild woman in Publix this morning I came home to the usual drama...the soap stuck in the dishwasher and dishes had to be rewashed, the dog got loose and would not let anyone catch her until she got hot and wanted to come in,the garbage men left one can full of garbage still in it, I forgot the peaches so the crisp is off the menu for dinner and I got my hair tangled up in the blasted fly trap and it was hanging off my head with dead flies attached to it...we have had horrible flies this summer...that’s been my fun filled day!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    By tomorrow morning all my data will be restored and living in its new home. This leaves 3 replacement cameras I have but have not installed yet, 1 smart switch, 2 fire tvs that do not recognize their wired connection, 42 more wireless clients to migrate to the new access point, 1 garage door opener, and whatever is wrong with the satellite TV that is waiting for a technician scheduled for next week. The garage door opener can wait until next month and since I have a stand in access point the tedious chore of migrating everything else to the new access point can start sometime next week.

Oh and I suppose I need to look for surge protectors that cover network cabling since that is how it did so much damage. All of the equipment was on normal surge protectors but the lightning destroyed where the WAN comes in and traveled the network destroying almost everything in its path.

The joys of having a home and business in the same location. Of course I may have put the business infrastructure back up for nothing if things don't pick up soon from the covid slowdown.

I was wondering what kind of high-end system you had when you were describing all that - I was thinking you must be one serious gamer! lol

You have my sympathies, though - its just not been a good year period!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    After running around like a wild woman in Publix this morning I came home to the usual drama...the soap stuck in the dishwasher and dishes had to be rewashed, the dog got loose and would not let anyone catch her until she got hot and wanted to come in,the garbage men left one can full of garbage still in it, I forgot the peaches so the crisp is off the menu for dinner and I got my hair tangled up in the blasted fly trap and it was hanging off my head with dead flies attached to it...we have had horrible flies this summer...that’s been my fun filled day!

well, at least you are finding some humor in this, right? lol The fly trap thing would be awful; I would think the only way to deal with that would be cut it out! :astonished:
  • conniewilkins56
    Options

well, at least you are finding some humor in this, right? lol The fly trap thing would be awful; I would think the only way to deal with that would be cut it out! :astonished:

OMG no!....lol.....I would have had to cut hunks of hair out!...my daughter saw me pulling it out and she rescued me...those traps are sticky...and yes, it was pretty funny!....we laugh a lot at our house every day....the alternative would be a crime scene!....usually a teen and a tween keep us entertained....my husband is getting shots in his spine next week for debilitating pain from stenosis...the doctor asked him if he wanted to be put to sleep for the injections...I overheard Aliyah who is 12 and a drama queen on the phone dramatically telling her friend that the doctor wanted to put her Poppie to sleep...SMH...had to snicker!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Argh! I have a particular co-worker who just drives me batty sometimes!

He's the supervisor for a sister group of mine - he's not in my direct line of supervision; he's the counterpart to my supervisor in this other group that we work with closely, and they both share the same manager.

Anyway, he is horrible for sending out these cryptic emails that don't give you any information and then expecting you read his mind and figure out what he really wants! 3 weeks ago he asked me to retrieve some records from some equipment, so I got them and forwarded them on to him and his engineer (he's the supervisor and his engineer is the one supposed to be covering the area, but this guy is the sort that can't take his hands - or nose - out of it.) He referred to a fault that had happened a month ago, and frankly, I had to look it up in the system because I had no idea what he was even talking about.

But all he asked was the fault records, or rather - did anyone go and get the records. Then today, I get this email from him asking if I had run the study using the fault records and got a location for the local shop to look for problems. I did email him back with a no, because I had not been asked to do so. But it just frustrates me when he does this to me! I can't read your mind, buddy! And no one else, INCLUDING my own supervisor, has said a word about this, so why is it considered an issue? Especially since it was 1 fault that happened over a month ago, and everything has been fine since?

I work for the power company, and sometimes we get outages with unknown causes - something causes the circuit to lock out and when a patrol is done, nothing is found and when they close the circuit back in, it stays. That was the case here. Most times this is caused by an animal or wind problems from a storm, or a tree branch touching the line. Whatever caused the circuit to lock out is transient and cleared itself (such as the tree limb breaking and falling to where it can't get into the line anymore). They usually aren't considered a big deal unless they continue to happen over and over. But some reason, he's decided this one needs investigated even though no one else is asking for it and the local shop has moved on, and he's assumed I could somehow telepathically read his thoughts and know that he wanted me to do this, even though he never asked and he's not even my supervisor! *sigh*
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380 you work for the power company? That's awesome. I have soooo many questions! Just last week we blew a 1200 amp fuse in one of the mains at work. We were down for a day because we didn't have a spare.