Doom, Despair, and Agony on Me! (aka a whine thread)

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    tillers are worse than lawn mowers - maybe not quite as bad as weed eaters, but a close second!

I am really impressed with my B&D 40 volt weed eater. I am less impressed with the leaf blower that came with it though.

Tillers are terrible which is why unless you have enough work to need more than a day of work AND you are willing to do the maintenance 100 percent by the book you should just rent one.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I've got a battery weed eater which I like much better than the gasoline ones. I have a second battery from a battery chain saw and between the two, I can get my entire yard done.

The stupid string still doesn't bump out like its supposed to.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    LoL....I love both of your posts!....I have a blender!...we also own a hammer and two screw drivers and a box of nails....I am serious!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    @conniewilkins56 I have a blender and a food processor :) And a recipricating saw, jig saw, 2 or 3 drills, circular saw, and about 5 utility knives, but that's because I'm really bad for misplacing them. Knives and plyers - I've got at least 4 sets of plyers for the same reason. I swear, I think brownies live with me sometimes and like to move things as pranks!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Oh yeah, we have a new staple gun because I covered some cushions for my daughters classroom...

I do have every kitchen gadget and gizmo known to man!...I have a never used bread maker and a zillion knives...

My husband can’t tell a saw from a hammer!...I swear he has never been able to fix or repair anything!...we bought an office chair from Office Max and had to have it assembled!....when we took care of our own lawn, he would destroy a lawn mower every summer!....but this same man can do anything with a paper and pencil and could sell ice to Eskimos!...everybody loves John!...

And our kids think the man walks on water...SMH
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I just bought a drill! I went in for rug tape and came out with a drill, and three annuals..
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    papayahed wrote: »
    I just bought a drill! I went in for rug tape and came out with a drill, and three annuals..
    What are you going to drill?
  • papayahed
    Options
    I have a few pictures to hang but the main reason is to hang my garden hose reel on the fence. (I used to have a drill but the battery no longer holds a charge)
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    battery powered equipment has come a long way and is very, very convenient (sure beats putting electrical cords everywhere or running a generator); however, the batteries are the worst part of the situation. They are better than they used to be, but they still don't last long, and worst still, the batteries cost as much as a new device!

I had a craftsman brand little battery powered chainsaw which worked wonderfully for what I wanted to do with one (I had bought a 16" gasoline saw, but it was just more than I really needed, so I gave it to my dad who could use it way more than I would). Someone in the family (my mother says it can't be her, though she was the last one to use it) left the battery in the un-heated shed over the winter. The next spring? The battery was shot. I went looking for a replacement battery, and Sears and Craftsman wanted close to $80 for the battery! Meanwhile, Lowe's had a battery powered chainsaw with its battery on sale for $90 - and it used the same style battery as my weed eater and my hedge trimmer and I was needing a second battery anyway for the weed eater. So I just paid the $10 extra, got a new saw and the second battery I was needing anyway, rather than paying $80 for the Craftsman battery than another $80 for another Kobolt battery. IT stinks because the Craftsman chainsaw is still a good tool, but without the battery, its useless.

Some of the brands are getting sneaky, too. Used to be, you got a battery and a charger with the device itself. Which is why battery powered equipment would run upwards of $100 and more. However, many of the manufacturers are now separating them out. Hitachi, for example: I have a Hitachi reciprocating saw and jig saw, neither of which came with their batteries or chargers. So they looked really cheap at first glance - $50 for a battery powered reciprocating saw! - then you realize that you have to buy the battery and the charger separately, which ends up being close to $70, I I think it was, so I really ended up paying in the neighborhood of $120 for that saw. The only nice thing about it is that when I bought the Hitachi jig saw, which uses the same battery, I didn't have to buy a new charger, though i did want a second battery.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I am picturing my husband with a chainsaw....omg
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I am picturing my husband with a chainsaw....omg

lol
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Since I have the baby's birthday party to go to this morning, I wasn't going to get in my 5 mile walk, so I thought I'd ride my bike instead so burn more calories in a shorter time. So I got it out of hte shed, walked it to the top of the rise that precipitates the dip going into town, and got on and started down the other side. Except I found out immediately that my knee absolutely will not tolerate riding the bike - peddling requires it to bend way further than I can get it and it hurt when I tried. So, I got to the gas station at the bottom of the hill, chained the bike to a sign post, then proceeded to get in a 3.9 mile walk before picking the bike up on my way home.

*sigh*

I hadn't realized just how limited the range of motion is in that knee since it's been doing fine in the cardio squats and lunges and in walking. And I'm really not sure what to do about it, either. icing it doesn't seem to be helping. The compression knee brace is helping, but apparently there is still something wrong in there. It isn't grating bone on bone; it feels like there is fluid in it and when I try to bend it, it feels like its pulling, but there is usually no pain except for when I tried to peddle the bike - that did hurt and hurt right across the top of the knee.

It keeps it up and I may be asking my doctor as soon as things lighten up for a few PT sessions.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    A shot of cortisone will fix you right up!...I got shots for a while before I had both knees replaced within four months of each other!...not a fun operation....hope you feel better!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    A shot of cortisone will fix you right up!...I got shots for a while before I had both knees replaced within four months of each other!...not a fun operation....hope you feel better!

I wonder if the over the counter stuff would work. I’ll have to see what I can find next time I’m in Walmart.

• conniewilkins56
    Options
    You might try Bio Freeze or Ben Gay for relief of pain...the shots hurt but the lasting effects of it for 3 to 4 months is great...

My knees still hurt sometimes but carrying so much weight for so many years doesn’t help...and I was on my feet most of the day in our stores...

You really should see a doctor and get some suggestions...you have become so active, it isn’t fair that you have to put up with pain!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    The thing is, I'm not in pain - the knees don't hurt except for trying to ride the bike and that was more due to the fluid build up. It feels tight but doesn't hurt.

It's most likely all the activity that has done it, that and 30 years of being overweight and obese wearing on my joints.

I might see if the glucosomine tablets will help. Can't hurt to try, anyway.

The good news is that since it doesn't hamper my walking whatsoever, I will still be able to hike all over that park the week after next!
  • papayahed
    Options
    Are you stretching? It really does help, my trainer made me a believer.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    yup; the cardio vidoes that I'm using always stretch at the end of each routine, and they have several stretch routines. I'm trying to do at least one stretch one once or twice a week.

I did pick up so osteo biflex today; let's see if that helps me. They were buy one get one free - good thing since one was nearly $30!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    yup; the cardio vidoes that I'm using always stretch at the end of each routine, and they have several stretch routines. I'm trying to do at least one stretch one once or twice a week.

I did pick up so osteo biflex today; let's see if that helps me. They were buy one get one free - good thing since one was nearly $30!

My ortho and my SiL's ortho both suggested the Osteo Biflex with turmeric so I have converted to it. I am unsure how much it helps by itself but all the measures I have put in place are really keeping the knees in the vicinity of happy most of the time.