Doom, Despair, and Agony on Me! (aka a whine thread)

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    it's like women's T-shirts. Less material than men's, but at least $4 to $5 more!

I'm going to have to restock on shorts this year, too. I haven't dug them out yet, but since I have my capris out that are the same size as the shorts and any that don't have belt loops or drawstrings are now giving me fits staying up, so that means any shorts without belt loops or drawstrings are going to be the same.

Course, if you get cargo's with belt loops, you could get a little longer out of them :)
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,305 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    100% whine: you would think I'd be over scale fluctuations after 2 years of doing this faithfully, but I still get so mad when I have an undeserved jump of almost 3 pounds overnight! :rage:

Nope. I do not think we ever find it easy. The difference for me is that I can let it go faster. There was a time it would ruin most of my day. Now it ruins about 10 minutes.
    That's a great point. I got over that in a few hours. And then I got over this morning's additional gain even faster.
  • bmeadows380
    dagnabit! I finally convinced myself to raise my calorie limit today. Problem with that is it also raises my protein goal! I was having a hard enough time as it was getting my protein in a day; now its going to be even tougher.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    dagnabit! I finally convinced myself to raise my calorie limit today. Problem with that is it also raises my protein goal! I was having a hard enough time as it was getting my protein in a day; now its going to be even tougher.

@bmeadows380

You can ignore the increase in protein if you are already hitting .6 - .8g per pound of "healthy" BMI range body weight. I chose the top of my range and then I decided to aim for 1g per just because I have to overdo everything.
  • bmeadows380

@bmeadows380

You can ignore the increase in protein if you are already hitting .6 - .8g per pound of "healthy" BMI range body weight. I chose the top of my range and then I decided to aim for 1g per just because I have to overdo everything.

That's where the problem is - I've got my protein goal set to 0.7 and have enough trouble hitting it and trying to get my fiber in, too, and vegetables without eating a ton of meat to make up the difference. And I can only eat so much cottage cheese and greek yogurt :)

And forget the fat goal; I'm not even paying attention to that. Fats just do not hold me, and they eat up my calorie budget without satisfying me. :(
  • NovusDies

@bmeadows380

That's where the problem is - I've got my protein goal set to 0.7 and have enough trouble hitting it and trying to get my fiber in, too, and vegetables without eating a ton of meat to make up the difference. And I can only eat so much cottage cheese and greek yogurt :)

And forget the fat goal; I'm not even paying attention to that. Fats just do not hold me, and they eat up my calorie budget without satisfying me. :(

I am not understanding. If you are eating .7 grams of protein per pound of "healthy" weight why is having more calories an issue?

For more protein and fiber the answer is... BEANS. That is assuming you can find any to buy.

One advantage of being a volume eater is that I surpass even my high protein goal and usually blow past my 40g fiber goal. Today I am sitting at 79g of fiber lol. I chose some time ago to offset some of the meat I eat with plant based protein at least several days a week. I do not have many radical tendencies so when someone made the argument that we could do a lot to save the planet by just cutting back a little on meat consumption that seemed fair and middle ground so it worked for me. I do not expect anyone else to feel the same.
  • bmeadows380
    well, when I increased my calorie goal, of course the total protein intake went up as well. beans kill me on the calorie load. Usually 120 calories for 6g protein. I can substitute 4 oz of turkey for nearly half the calories and twice the protein. It's a whole lot easier to fit 120 calories of turkey into my day, than trying to get 240 calories worth of beans, and the beans don't leave me feeling full, either. The turkey lasts longer.

For instance: here's my dinner plans for this evening. 1st column is calories, 2nd is carbs, 3rd is protein, 4th is fat

e9zjiajuc4sf.png

The 1/2 cup beans are 119 calories and 6g protein. The 4 oz steak is 160 calories and 23g protein. If I ate the entire can of beans, it would be 357 calories in return for 18g protein. The steak has way less calorie load and more protein. Granted, the beans give me fiber, but I can get that from something a lot less calorie dense, like the green beans - that 1 cup serving of green beans has 1g fewer fiber than the pintos, but 79 fewer calories that I can save for later when the munchies hit when my willpower is the lowest.

I know myself when it comes to eating; I've got to keep most of my daily intake to lower calorie items because I need to stretch as many calories into evening as I can and throughout the day. I can't make it on 3 large meals and no snacks, especially in the evening. I like beans, but knowing their calorie load and that they won't fill me up and I"ll be hungry again in an hour or 2, I tend to bypass them for something a lot less calorie dense.

Which is probably why I tend to eat a lot of green veggies - spinach, broccoli, green beans, collards, cabbage, zucchini, or veggies like carrots, squash, and parsnips. I can get a lot more volume for a lot less calories with those items - tricks my brain into thinking I'm eating a lot more than I am!
  • NovusDies
    The beans I ate today (black beans) for a single serving is 80 calories with 8 grams (rounded up) of protein. I added them to my egg white frittata which is 25 calories per serving with 5 grams of protein. I eat 10 servings of egg whites mixed with around 2.5 - 3 pounds of low calorie vegetables and mushrooms. That is my common first course for lunch and then there is another large vegetable course and then usually a fish course.

I am not trying to convince you of anything. You know you and you seem to have a system that is working very well. I know I need a very high volume and it usually amounts to a substantial amount of protein. I ate this way even when I had much less calories. The difference now is that I use more cheese, oil, and treats to help bridge the calorie gap.
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    @bmeadows380 - there are lots of foods that are nearly all protein that can help you hit your goal. Egg whites - I buy a carton of them and make microwave omelettes for breakfast. Deli Turkey and lean ham - makes a great snack (or add to your omelette!). Beef Jerky, Greek yogurt - especially if its sugar free, and of course protein drinks. I really like Banana flavor Premiere Protein - today for lunch, I mixed it with ice, PB Fit powder, cocoa powder and a little stevia. 39 grams of protein for only 240 calories. And it was delicious!
  • bmeadows380
    @speyerj I do go through a lot of eggs :) My usual day saver is Muscle 100 calorie shakes; they are low in sugar and have 20g of protein. I keep deli turkey and have ham right now but I'm going to be out soon because my local grocery store doesn't have a deli.

I decided I wanted a peanut butter pie, but I took the recipe and baked it in a muffin pan, making peanut butter tarts instead - completely with pie crusts. When I took them out of the oven, I topped each with 1 hershey kiss. When I put it into my diary for this evening, I noticed it was 5g protein! for 156 calories and 4g sugar - nice side benefit! :)
  • bmeadows380
    and I just thought: since I upped my daily calorie limit, I can now go back to using 1% milk in my coffee instead of cashew milk!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    and I just thought: since I upped my daily calorie limit, I can now go back to using 1% milk in my coffee instead of cashew milk!

LOL...sometimes such little things make us so happy!....I discovered I could use a T of International Creamer for 35 calories instead of Cremona and white sugar for 50 calories....you would think I found a million bucks!
  • bmeadows380
    *sigh* sometimes pets are worse than kids. I just had to put my oldest cat in time out by putting him in the laundry room and shutting the door. Why? Because I'm working from home and he wanted in my lap and I wouldn't let him. When he tried to force the issue, I put him in the floor. He immediately went and attacked one of the other cats, chasing her down, pinning her to the floor, and ripping fur from her. So he threw what for a cat is a temper tantrum just because I wouldn't let him go where he wanted to go. :angry:
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Ditto egg whites for low cal protein.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    *sigh* sometimes pets are worse than kids. I just had to put my oldest cat in time out by putting him in the laundry room and shutting the door. Why? Because I'm working from home and he wanted in my lap and I wouldn't let him. When he tried to force the issue, I put him in the floor. He immediately went and attacked one of the other cats, chasing her down, pinning her to the floor, and ripping fur from her. So he threw what for a cat is a temper tantrum just because I wouldn't let him go where he wanted to go. :angry:

Our Willow has been a rascal this morning,too...she got put in her cage because she jumped on me a scratched my arm from shoulder to wrist...I usually don’t cage her as a punishment but she would not stop jumping at me...all this because she couldn’t take a ride with us this morning!...she is like a toddler!
  • NovusDies

Our Willow has been a rascal this morning,too...she got put in her cage because she jumped on me a scratched my arm from shoulder to wrist...I usually don’t cage her as a punishment but she would not stop jumping at me...all this because she couldn’t take a ride with us this morning!...she is like a toddler!

I rarely do it myself but I do not view it as a punishment, especially since he likes being in there, I view it as more as a moment of peace and a bit of a reset for him. It is kind of like when he is being a wackadoo about using the restroom on his normal schedule. Instead of doing his business he is mesmerized by every stupid thing he can lay his eyes on. If I walk him back into the garage, shut the door, immediately open it again and take him back out he is "reset" and he does his business. Sometimes I just have to break the chain of whatever puppy nonsense has taken over his brain.
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Last couple of days ... BLAH!! Mood was sucky; couldn't get logged on or stay logged on when I did. Inhaler prescription did not get called in so struggling there. Too cold to be outside for me. Just a couple of craptastic days! OK ... enough of that!! Gonna put some fun dance music on and boogie!! Have a good day Y'all!! :P
  • NovusDies
    cesse47 wrote: »
    Last couple of days ... BLAH!! Mood was sucky; couldn't get logged on or stay logged on when I did. Inhaler prescription did not get called in so struggling there. Too cold to be outside for me. Just a couple of craptastic days! OK ... enough of that!! Gonna put some fun dance music on and boogie!! Have a good day Y'all!! :P

Blech. Mine have not been that bad but also not great. I like your dance idea.

I went to the store this morning because I was trying to do my part and avoid busier times. There was this woman there who apparently thought that even being on the same aisle as someone else was not socially distant enough. The first two times I encountered her from MUCH further than 6 feet away (both of us were wearing PPE) she panicked and hurried away. One time she abandoned her cart as if she didn't have time to take it with her. When I met up with her later she was all the way down the aisle on the other side of the store. When she saw me she threw her hands up in the air like I was violating something and left immediately again. I do not like to make people uncomfortable so she was making me feel kind of bad.

I am not sure what she expected to happen going to a public place like a store but it was obviously unrealistic.
  • bmeadows380
    sorry, I just need to whine a bit. The scale went up again this morning to 250.7 lbs. And my activity was high yesterday - 30 minutes cardio, 30 minutes elliptical, over 5 mile walk, and pacing the house endlessly for 2 hours while on the phone with the best friend. Step counter showed around 22,000 steps yesterday. But the stupid scale jumped up by 0.6 lbs! I just don't get it!

I just need to get the frustration out. I have no idea why my body seems to be over reacting to 200 extra calories a day like it is; its not like I was in only a 200 calorie deficit before I changed it, and I don't get how adding back an extra 200 calories a day and changing nothing else results in a complete stall when I was losing over 2 lbs/wk before. mathematically, it should not be possible! I'm being honest here; I'm not exaggerating my exercise; in fact, I'm taking conservative values. And I'm using the same entries I always have. I"m weighing everything short of lettuce. I'm being honest in my diary recordings. So why is my darn body overreacting so badly to 200 extra measly calories a day?!!!!!!

thank you - now that I have that off my chest, I can get dressed and get going on my daily walk - I want my 5 miles in this morning before it starts to rain again.
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    @bmeadows380 - it's just water. Relax. You will pee it out in due time.