Doom, Despair, and Agony on Me! (aka a whine thread)

Replies

• Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I'm having a "woe is me" few weeks, I had a great birthday weekend at the end of November, in the pub all day (drinking vodka but with a diet mixer) but over the weekend had a meal out and pizza and garlic bread. By Monday I had a gain of 4lb, I lost 1.8lb over the week but the weekend after that we had takeaway again and more drinking and another 2.4lb gain, this has been followed by slight ups and downs over the last 2 weeks. At the moment I'm 8lbs over my lowest weight in August, which I hit again in November, and 5lb over my pre-birthday weightm at the end of November. I have relaxed my logging but have enough experience to know I haven't reached or exceeded maintenance - particularly as I've kept up with my exercise plan. Looking at my fitbit stats my average burn was 2500cals per day over the last 2 weeks, my daily allowance is 1370 on MFP. If my maths is correct - to account for the 5lb gain my average intake would have needed to be consuming 3700cals per day - no way have I had that.

I am stressed, I'm not sleeping very well and I'm hitting menopause so I'm sure all this is contributing to my situation and I probably just need to ride it out but it is soooo hard, especially with christmas coming up where I normally gain a few pounds, I feel like my whole years efforts will be wiped out by January at this rate :'(
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Well, I finally started at the gym yesterday and I was very proud of myself...got up this morning and my weight was up over a pound!...and this is why I don’t exercise!....LOL...everyone have a good one....I am going to try the gym again today!
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Weight fluctuations happen, don't blame it on the gym ;)

If you're getting started with exercise, you're likely to retain some water as your muscles repair themselves. It'll lessen over time and you'll see the results you want as your increased activity/metabolism helps you burn more calories.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Hang in. Keep at it.

A friend says- we eventually get the weigh in we deserve, but not necessarily when we expect it.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Since I'm going to be having surgery to remove my excess skin, it seems I've talked about my weight loss to a lot of medical professionals and invariably they seem to assume I had weight loss surgery. The presumption irks me for some reason. I suppose part of why is that assumption does impact some medical treatments.
    Like I had this exchange when going over pre-op instructions for skin removal:
    PreOp: "Well and you're already going to be restricted from taking Ibuprofen."
    Me: "Why?"
    PreOp: "Well didn't they say it will hurt your stomach with weight loss surgery."
    Me: "I didn't have weight loss surgery... I lost weight with diet and exercise alone."
    PreOP: (overly cordial tone like an apology without saying one) "Oh, well that's rare. Congratulations."
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    The cookies won this morning.... oh well tomorrow's a new day.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    The cookies won this morning.... oh well tomorrow's a new day.

It gets harder instead of easier ....you take a deep breath and keep going forward...
  • astidog99
    astidog99 Posts: 20 Member
    why is it that whatever target you set it takes forever to get that last pound shifted? I set myself a milestone target and will those last 16 ounces go? will they eckers! On the plus side just had a massive bowl of wall light icecream and a meringue nest for under 200 cals- very very yummy!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    astidog99 wrote: »
    why is it that whatever target you set it takes forever to get that last pound shifted? I set myself a milestone target and will those last 16 ounces go? will they eckers! On the plus side just had a massive bowl of wall light icecream and a meringue nest for under 200 cals- very very yummy!

I hate milestones for that reason. It always seems like watching a pot to see when the water boils with the stove off. I didn't set any but some of them just happen like increments of 50 or 100 pound losses and century changes. They seem to always end up being a tease.
  • tiffany80802017
    tiffany80802017 Posts: 92 Member
    @magnusthenerd That’s really awful :( that bothers me too!!

I’ve lost some weight the past few months and a provider mentioned that I was losing weight to prepare for weight loss surgery, I was like umm no I’m exercising a lot, I’m not interested in bariatric surgery. Wtf? Not saying bariatric surgery isn’t a good option for some, just not me.

Also the demeanor from providers in general towards obese individuals, in my experience anyway, is often very condescending. Ugh!

Hope your surgery went well and congrats on the weight loss!!!!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Here in the U.S. my Dr explained to me that having too many obese Medicare patients who aren’t losing weight could cost him money. I didn’t really understand the process, (or care to) but the bottom line was pretty plain.

If you’re a WL surgeon, WL surgery is how you make money.

• magnusthenerd
    @magnusthenerd That’s really awful :( that bothers me too!!

I’ve lost some weight the past few months and a provider mentioned that I was losing weight to prepare for weight loss surgery, I was like umm no I’m exercising a lot, I’m not interested in bariatric surgery. Wtf? Not saying bariatric surgery isn’t a good option for some, just not me.

Also the demeanor from providers in general towards obese individuals, in my experience anyway, is often very condescending. Ugh!

Hope your surgery went well and congrats on the weight loss!!!!

I've been lucky that when I was obese, I never had a provider that made me feel uncomfortable about it. At worst I had a provider tell me an outpatient surgery was going to be a bit complicated and worse recovery from it, which was just true.
    Frankly the same doctor put more effort into trying to get me to stop working out - he saw I had elevated liver enzymes that also go up from working out. When 5 days off didn't bring it back to normal (not surprising I was still sore from a change in my life routine), he wanted me to take 10 days off. I ended up refusing.
  • magnusthenerd
    NovusDies wrote: »
    When I was around 80 pounds down I went through a 2 week period of seeing different medical professionals for some tests. 3 of them upon hearing that I had lost 80 pounds proceeded to tell me how I should lose weight. I remember thinking I know I still have a lot to lose but don't I get any credit?

I have lost count how many times it has been assumed I have had wls. I do not feel superior because I went my own way because I believe, for me, any wls would have made it harder for me to succeed not easier. It would have been a greater sacrifice too. I am not interested in eating fist size meals for the rest of my life.
    It is the same for me. I could not have lost as much or certainly not gained as much lean mass if I had done WLS. Like just two restrictions I know of
    1. No chocolate - well that's a lot of whey protein I could not use
    2. No caffeine - I am both proud and a little embarrassed by how many work outs I finished at 1 am hyped on preworkouts after waking up from getting my sons to sleep when I started.
  • NovusDies
    I agree. I have goals outside of weight loss and increasing LBM is one of them. I can't ignore all the time I spent sedentary and what it has done or how it has undone my body.

Also I thrive on very high volumes of food. I am not sure I could win one of those amateur hotdog eating contests but I have a feeling I would not come in last. It has gotten to the point that I look at a big juicy hamburger and the first thing that goes through my mind is how many bowls of lower calorie food I could be eating for the same number of calories. It seems like my 'reward' for being extremely full has superseded my 'reward' for eating higher calorie food. I still eat the hamburger when I want it though.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited March 2020
    88olds wrote: »
    Here in the U.S. my Dr explained to me that having too many obese Medicare patients who aren’t losing weight could cost him money. I didn’t really understand the process, (or care to) but the bottom line was pretty plain.

I was poking back through old threads, looking for one that might fit better with what I wanted to mention, and saw this and had to comment that I completely agree with this, and this is why I approach WLS with great caution and try to caution people who are considering it to do their research and don't just listen to what the clinics tell them.

My brother is finally admitting that all the promises the clinic made up front to be a care team and life-long support system was bogus and that he has no support. My cousin found out the same. I know that for some people, its a radical solution that can literally save their life, but so many others don't understand the life long requirements that go along with it if they want to maintain their success, and too many of these weight loss clinics aren't giving their potential customers all the hard facts about life after the surgery, either.

On the good news front, however, is that my cousin has opted to not have the 2nd surgery. She's stalled on weight loss and has gained some back, I think around 30 lbs?, and her heart doctor (though I don't know why she's seeing a heart doctor as she's not being treated for a heart condition other than there's a genetic leaning toward heart problems in her family) and her WL doctor both were pressuring her to have a 2nd WLS, this one way more invasive than the last. Thankfully, she opted to go talk to her dietician instead who was highly against it and told her it was unnecessary and that she can get back on track through diet and is working with her on getting her eating back under control.

And since this is the whine thread, and that wasn't a whine, I'll continue my normal, typical daily whine about water weight issues.......lol
  • NovusDies
    88olds wrote: »

I was poking back through old threads, looking for one that might fit better with what I wanted to mention, and saw this and had to comment that I completely agree with this, and this is why I approach WLS with great caution and try to caution people who are considering it to do their research and don't just listen to what the clinics tell them.

My brother is finally admitting that all the promises the clinic made up front to be a care team and life-long support system was bogus and that he has no support. My cousin found out the same. I know that for some people, its a radical solution that can literally save their life, but so many others don't understand the life long requirements that go along with it if they want to maintain their success, and too many of these weight loss clinics aren't giving their potential customers all the hard facts about life after the surgery, either.

On the good news front, however, is that my cousin has opted to not have the 2nd surgery. She's stalled on weight loss and has gained some back, I think around 30 lbs?, and her heart doctor (though I don't know why she's seeing a heart doctor as she's not being treated for a heart condition other than there's a genetic leaning toward heart problems in her family) and her WL doctor both were pressuring her to have a 2nd WLS, this one way more invasive than the last. Thankfully, she opted to go talk to her dietician instead who was highly against it and told her it was unnecessary and that she can get back on track through diet and is working with her on getting her eating back under control.

And since this is the whine thread, and that wasn't a whine, I'll continue my normal, typical daily whine about water weight issues.......lol

Well it was a whine about how WLS is not the cure that some people think it is...

I try to remind people when I can that it is not a cure. It is a tool. All the things that people have to learn to be successful without surgery people that get it will still need to learn. It still requires habit and mindset changes. The difference is that WLS throws you into the deep end and you are forced to change all at once. People regain because they were not ready for such a radical shift.

Over the course of an entire weight loss effort thousands of choices will need to be made. Support is always helpful but no amount of support is going to be there for each and every choice. That is why I believe that it should always be geared towards helping a person stand on their own two feet. We have to spend time learning things so that we can trust our decisions and be an expert enough to know when we made a mistake. After all, for this to be really successful we have to make good choices for the rest of our lives.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    I accidently drank half a Fanta Strawberry soda this afternoon. Ack! Woe to me! My coworker went to Wendy's and asked if I wanted anything. Part of my order was a Strawberry Fanta Zero. When it came back I was all "Man, this Fanta is really good, what the heck" It didn't dawn on me until I was half through that it was regular and not zero.

Sugar is my arch nemesis. Not chocolate, not bread, sugar specifically candy and pop. I've been so scared of even letting any of it near me for fear of going overboard and back sliding that I avoid skittles, gummies, and pop at all costs.

on the good side I didn't immediately go crazy and drink the rest of it then guzzle gummy bears like a drunken sailor. I threw the rest away and went about my business. Perhaps I do have some control over my arch nemsis.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    *sigh* I'm disappointed this morning. I took my body measurements at about 1 month from last month, but the only thing that changed was the hip measurement was down 1/2". And I checked my weight on 2/27 - it was 264.2 lbs. I'm on track to probably be trending at 259.5 lbs tomorrow morning. Which means that only counting back 1/4 to 1/3 of my exercise calories gives me a 4 week weight loss rate of 1.7 lbs. When I go clear back to January 2, which is 12 weeks ago, the rate is 1.73 lbs. I guess that means even the 1,390 lbs MFP recommends for my current weight at sedentary settings to lose 2 lbs/wk is too high because according to them, the 1.75 lb/wk rate should be occurring at 1,640 calories, but I"m getting a little less than that at 1,450 calories.

So apparently my efforts to get more active aren't working on the loss per week rate and adding back in that 1/4 to 1/3 for activity, which is really only adding back in 100 calories, is still too much :(

I just went and looked up 7 other calorie estimators other than MFP. For me to lose 1 lb per week, the other 7 averaged around 1,771 calories daily allotment: MFP is saying 1,870 or 100 calories over everyone else. So perhaps I shouldn't be using MFP's numbers.

Averaging all the others together, to lose 2 lbs per week, I"d need a calorie goal of 1,271. To lose 1.75 lbs/wk, I'd need 1,396. *sigh* I know I can't cut to 1,271, so I need to let go of the ideal of losing 2 lbs/wk and get myself in the mindset of 1.5 to 1.75 lb/wk. Which also means I need to reset my goal to 1,400, or shave 50 calories off my current goal. And then see if getting 100 calories back in exercise (at my 1/4 rate) gets me closer to the 2 lbs/wk or at least holds me to the 1.75 lbs/wk.
  • NovusDies
    *sigh* I'm disappointed this morning. I took my body measurements at about 1 month from last month, but the only thing that changed was the hip measurement was down 1/2". And I checked my weight on 2/27 - it was 264.2 lbs. I'm on track to probably be trending at 259.5 lbs tomorrow morning. Which means that only counting back 1/4 to 1/3 of my exercise calories gives me a 4 week weight loss rate of 1.7 lbs. When I go clear back to January 2, which is 12 weeks ago, the rate is 1.73 lbs. I guess that means even the 1,390 lbs MFP recommends for my current weight at sedentary settings to lose 2 lbs/wk is too high because according to them, the 1.75 lb/wk rate should be occurring at 1,640 calories, but I"m getting a little less than that at 1,450 calories.

So apparently my efforts to get more active aren't working on the loss per week rate and adding back in that 1/4 to 1/3 for activity, which is really only adding back in 100 calories, is still too much :(

I just went and looked up 7 other calorie estimators other than MFP. For me to lose 1 lb per week, the other 7 averaged around 1,771 calories daily allotment: MFP is saying 1,870 or 100 calories over everyone else. So perhaps I shouldn't be using MFP's numbers.

Averaging all the others together, to lose 2 lbs per week, I"d need a calorie goal of 1,271. To lose 1.75 lbs/wk, I'd need 1,396. *sigh* I know I can't cut to 1,271, so I need to let go of the ideal of losing 2 lbs/wk and get myself in the mindset of 1.5 to 1.75 lb/wk. Which also means I need to reset my goal to 1,400, or shave 50 calories off my current goal. And then see if getting 100 calories back in exercise (at my 1/4 rate) gets me closer to the 2 lbs/wk or at least holds me to the 1.75 lbs/wk.

You don't need online estimates. You have your own numbers. Your average daily deficit is 865 over 12 weeks. If your average daily calories is 1450 that puts your maintenance at 2315. You should probably spot check some weeks to make sure your average really has been 1450.

I would not be making any adjustments based on 4 weeks of data with new exercise and a birthday refeed in the mix. Those waters are too muddy. I suggest sticking with whatever you have been doing for another month and let it clear up some more.

Just remember on the measurements that unless you measure everything from the top of your head to your feet you may miss where some losses occur.