Doom, Despair, and Agony on Me! (aka a whine thread)

Options

Replies

• merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    All of the salt in Chinese food will do that!....never fear , the water weight will come off quick!

Yar, been doing this long enough not to be worried. I don't have to like it though :)
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    It really isn’t fair that some people can eat anything and never gain weight...
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It really isn’t fair that some people can eat anything and never gain weight...

One of the thinnest girls that I have ever known could eat a large amount of food. She also a very hyper person. She could not sit or stand still. Her non exercise movement was extremely high so she could eat loads of food.

We can learn to improve ours but all the less voluntary movement that she did would be hard to replicate.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I have been eating a little under my calorie goal all week and I am up 3 lbs this morning.....I am not very happy with this....might be water as I am on meds for a severe sinus infection and cold....I am drinking a ton of water and I measure and weigh everything I eat...probably water retention but still pisses me off!....I am not going on a feeding frenzy or binge but I hope these 3 pounds come off fast!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I have been eating a little under my calorie goal all week and I am up 3 lbs this morning.....I am not very happy with this....might be water as I am on meds for a severe sinus infection and cold....I am drinking a ton of water and I measure and weigh everything I eat...probably water retention but still pisses me off!....I am not going on a feeding frenzy or binge but I hope these 3 pounds come off fast!

Your body will retain water to help with the infection and certain meds will do that too. Also keep in mind that if you are fighting off an infection you should try to be maintaining weight not lose.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    1) I put my protein shaker cup right next to my coffee cup. Guess which one I ended up shaking first?

2) My bag of 6 mixed vegetables has 70ish percent green beans in it. I hate when that happens. It had to be green beans too. They are okay but not exactly my favorite vegetable.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Mercury goes into retrograde tomorrow through Nov. 21.

Not that I believe in that sort of thing......

But back in July when this occured I lost all motivation..

• maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Im tired and grumpy. It's the end of the school year and Seniors go tomorrow for exam leave. So I've had Scholarship submissions completed this week...it's a massive stress...but finally done and sent off Wednesday morning. Last minute stuff needing marking for students who have slacked all year and suddenly realize they need the credits...hand something in at 8am and want it marked and returned 10 minutes later....students wanting extra assessments because they are going to fail externals and need the credits....then the headmaster called me in yesterday and told me he was giving me a load of money to spend on a robotics course and I'm to organise a trip around other schools to see what they do in the next few weeks. Hmmm. The workload involved in creating a brand new senior course is huge 😓So I left school early, put the meat on to marinade and went for a walk for two and a half hours. Beautiful evening...summer is here! Got home and hubby had actually cooked the dinner...so I threw together a satay sauce and boy it was good! Now I'm having a bath to soak away my grumpiness 🌞
  • Hubzilla
    Hubzilla Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    @merph518 - Maybe some "team" activities are in order? A trip with the family to do something fun?
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    @merph518 Maybe you can meal plan together. Make a special time for you guys to try new things. It's really hard to stay on track when you feel guilty about doing good! Not everyone has the same readiness to change.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    merph518 wrote: »
    I had a bad few days early this week. I don't think I'd call it "depression," but I was definitely in a funk. I think it hit me when my wife admitted she was upset that I'm doing well with my weight loss and she's not.

I was sharing my excitement over a new low on the scale with her, when I saw she looked about ready to cry. After much prodding, I finally dragged the truth out of her. I really didn't know how to respond. I tried to brush it off, and asked what I could do to help enable her to do better (my previous attempts came off as nagging and I stopped).

So now I'm signed up for some more chores around the house -- which I don't mind doing -- but I'm frustrated that it doesn't seem to be doing anything to help her disposition / willingness to try to log and eat better. She's just not ready, which I understand... I've been there... but it sucks that now I feel like I have to downplay or hide successes from her to not trigger another similar emotional response.

Sigh.

Anyway, I took a couple mental health days off from work to get over my funk and I think I'm feeling a bit better today -- despite the issue being completely unresolved.

My wife is pretty frustrated too. She has lost a lot of weight but because her method is less precise so are her results. Even though she sees and acknowledges my logging method as successful she just has an aversion to weighing all her food. She travels more than I do and has working lunches often so that coupled with less accurate logging sometimes ends up being weeks and months of little to no progress.

All you can do is reassure her that you love her and do not try to fix her. Each time my wife gets out the PB jar I cringe when she doesn't weigh it but I say nothing.

If you are doing additional chores you are increasing your energy expenditure. It these were chores she was doing she is lessening hers unless this equates to more exercise time.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    @Hubzilla - Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.

@gewel321 - We kind of do this, but the only common meal we share typically is dinner. Her trouble lies elsewhere unfortunately -- constant snacking and poor food choices. For dinner, she typically cooks healthy options and is very supportive of my efforts in doing so.

@NovusDies - Yeah, that's the approach I've been trying to take. Being appreciative, spending more time with her, not pressuring her. She doesn't respond well to reminders or nagging, so I don't do that anymore.

Re: energy expenditure -- yeah, I can see that I guess. I'm more trying to help combat her stress eating habits. She's a very emotional eater, so if I can make things easier for her in that area, hopefully that will improve.

Anyway, if I were to go to her and say something like "Honey, I changed my mind, you could use the extra exercise from those chores so I won't do them..." I'd probably be sleeping on the couch for a while, lol.
  • Hubzilla
    Hubzilla Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Honey, I changed my mind, you could use the extra exercise from those chores so I won't do them...

Heh - new group - Larger Single Losers
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    My husband and I have always had food in common....thru the years (44 of them this month) we have gained and lost a lot of weight...sometimes together and sometimes alone...a few years back, John lost 135 lbs and I have to admit I was jealous and proud of him at the same time...I was losing but not like he was...he was walking and exercising daily...I wasn’t....it kind of took the wind out of his sails when I wasn’t as supportive as I could and should have been...and I was down because I had lost my eating buddy...

I wish I had something to say that would help but I don’t have a solution...I think just keep doing what you are doing and when your wife is ready to be as committed as you are, she will make the right decisions...and when she is ready, you will be her support system...all you can do is lead by example...

Hugs
  • NovusDies
    Options
    merph518 wrote: »
    @Hubzilla - Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.

@gewel321 - We kind of do this, but the only common meal we share typically is dinner. Her trouble lies elsewhere unfortunately -- constant snacking and poor food choices. For dinner, she typically cooks healthy options and is very supportive of my efforts in doing so.

@NovusDies - Yeah, that's the approach I've been trying to take. Being appreciative, spending more time with her, not pressuring her. She doesn't respond well to reminders or nagging, so I don't do that anymore.

Re: energy expenditure -- yeah, I can see that I guess. I'm more trying to help combat her stress eating habits. She's a very emotional eater, so if I can make things easier for her in that area, hopefully that will improve.

Anyway, if I were to go to her and say something like "Honey, I changed my mind, you could use the extra exercise from those chores so I won't do them..." I'd probably be sleeping on the couch for a while, lol.

Seems logical to me. Sometimes a person has nothing left in the mental tank for weight loss. I am coming to realize that is a significant factor for when a person is ready to lose or not. It was even a big factor for me for many years. Not to say that is the primary factor for your wife but it might be in the mix.

My wife likes to win. When we play games I have very often cheated in her favor because I get enjoyment just playing and she gets frustrated if I win too much. Even if the game is a dice game and it is mostly chance that decides the outcome she doesn't like to play if she is not winning part of the time. Unfortunately there is not much I can do about weight loss. If it were up to me I would do all the struggling and she would have an easy time of it. It might not help that I do not complain a lot so some of the harder parts of my weight loss I have kept to myself making my road seem easier than it has been.

This part of it has sucked for me for about 8 months now. I am glad that I am at a weight now that when I am cleared for heavy lifting I can feel comfortable engaging the recomp plan I have been considering for a few months now. I will enter a period of maintenance and work on converting fat to muscle instead of losing it directly. This means my scale trend will be zero (or thereabouts) for 4 months, then I will reenter a deficit for 2 months, then another round of recomp for another 4. This will delay my arrival to a goal weight by 8 months. I get to practice maintenance and place my priority on fitness only for awhile. It doesn't hurt that this will hopefully give her a chance to make a lot more progress. I am making this choice for me though.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    It doesn’t do much good to whine....it is what it is....back to 303 two days in a row after a low of 301 Sunday morning....sometime I don’t think I will ever see a 2 as that first number!....I am anxious to begin the next phase of my weight loss journey.....I wanted to see 299 first but maybe I will start it anyway!
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Options
    Sometimes we just want it so bad, we get all stressed out over the concept. What if gravity changed today and tomorrow you weighed 213lbs. How would you decide whether or not you were healthy?
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    If my scales turned to 213, you would see me turning cartwheels down the street!...for any reason!
    .....I know the scales will go down sooner than later but I have been working on some long term goals and I wanted to start the next part of this journey after I hit 299.... whine whine whine
  • NovusDies
    Options
    If my scales turned to 213, you would see me turning cartwheels down the street!...for any reason!
    .....I know the scales will go down sooner than later but I have been working on some long term goals and I wanted to start the next part of this journey after I hit 299.... whine whine whine

Whine away. I can't think of a better reason to whine than a teaser milestone.