Leslie Sansone August 2019 Walk Challenge

Options
texasgardnr
texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
WELCOME to all walkers!

The August Walk Challenge is starting this week, so now is the time to be thinking about our new monthly challenge goals!

Having Leslie's, or other walking DVDs, to pop in the player continues to be a great alternative to walking outdoors in the heat, and for some of us that definitely means triple digit temperatures will continue on into August B) . Because of the warmer weather, walking or hiking outdoors might well be a pleasant alternative to the DVDs for those who enjoy getting their miles or minutes outdoors and have the opportunity to do so during the cooler part of the day/ evening.

This group is open to any and all walkers. The majority of us use Leslie Sansone Walk At Home DVD workouts, as well as those great walks or hikes outside on the trails or pathways that are available to us, or a walk in our neighborhood, and on the treadmill, as well as other Walking DVDs. All of these many options count toward our miles and minutes. However you get your walk in, come on in and join us! Post your miles or minutes that you have walked, however you did it... it is all good!

We are a happy, supportive group, and I promise that joining this walk challenge will motivate, challenge, as well as inspire you!

Set your goal for how many miles or minutes that you want to walk, indoors or out, this month. This is your own personal goal :star:. Post your results daily, weekly, or whenever you like.

If you find this challenge in the middle of the month it doesn't matter which day of the month that you join in. Just set your goals to reflect what you want to walk for the remaining days in the month. You are always welcome :) !
If you are new to the monthly challenge please feel free to start today... then by the end of this month you will be that much closer to your health goals. It is never too late to join in.

It is always fun to read which DVD, whether Leslie or another instructor, that you used. Or whatever form your walk took, whether outdoors or on the treadmill or anything in between. We all could use some new ideas or inspiration sometimes, so feel free to share your workouts with us.

Come on in, and let's start walking the Monthly Walk Challenge together. I know that I say this each month but I am truly grateful for each one of our precious walkers who continue to inspire and motivate mile by mile, and step by step, each month <3 .

I know that we are all excited to see our long time faithful walking friends o:) join us for yet another amazing month together, and we are awaiting the opportunity to welcome newcomers to this month's Walk Challenge!

So now... let us lace up those walking shoes and remember to get our water... while we begin to walk into August of 2019!

Let us walk with determination, all the while remembering extra hydration :drinker:

texasgardnr

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Americanbabydoll
    Americanbabydoll Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I met and surpassed my goal of 155 miles for July. I am going to make the goal for August the same, 155 miles.

My miles are tracked by my Fitbit. The totals are for the whole day, not just dedicated exercise miles even though I do purposeful walking exercise daily.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,585 Member
    Options
    I sat out July, and now I'm ready to get back into some organized exercise. I'm going to do 3 weight/strength workouts each week. And of course walking with Leslie and Jessica and Hasfit.
  • JoyStoltenburg
    JoyStoltenburg Posts: 327 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Well starting on Monday my exercise routine is going to get messed up. May be working out at night before bed. I got a job today and will start training on Monday. I will be working 6 days a week with over time about 45 to 46 hrs a week. So for August I am just going to be posting miles walked according to my watch per day. I will be doing lots of walking in the job.
    GOAL 5 MILES A DAY
  • JoyStoltenburg
    edited August 2019
    Options
    was on here twice and can't find delete
  • Deeder522
    Deeder522 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    How is it August already!!! In July my feet took me 107 miles!
    For August, I'll stay at 100 miles. Rededicate my food tracking and hopefully break into the 170's sometime this month.
  • szn123hub
    szn123hub Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Walking Goal: 80 miles for the month of August. Restarting walking program after a couple of sedentary months😊
  • AnnofB
    Options
    @szn123hub , Welcome to the group!
  • AnnofB
    Options
    For August: 3 strength workouts a week.

8/1....38 minutes of a strength workout, and 21 minutes of Burn to the Beat.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Although I will have a few sedentary days in August (grading end of semester exams, papers etc, traveling to a couple of events etc), I am determined to walk 3.5 miles each day and end the month with at least 108.5 miles. This not meeting goal is getting to be a bad habit that needs breaking!!! Even on the days I swim a lot, I am going to walk 3 miles!

Goal: 3.5 miles/day or 108.5 miles for August!

8/1-WAH 5K with a twist-3.1 miles=3.1 miles total

@VeggieGirlforLife: I have Tone Every Zone and use it, mostly in the winter. I use it to alternate my upper and lower body strength training with Walk it Off in 30 -Firm 30 because some days, I just am not up to doing both in 30 minutes. It is too intense some days. Both of them are very good for gaining strength and dropping weight.

@knjstolt: I was so sorry to hear about your MIL and I am glad to hear you got to say goodbye. Your DH will need a lot of support int he coming days. My heart goes out to you both. :heart:

@AnnofB: I may as well have sat out July for all the working out I got to do! I start the month with great intentions and then it all falls apart! I have decided I need to make it part of my routine each day. We'll see how that goes! :laugh:

Walk Strong Everyone! :bigsmile:
  • INFJx3
    INFJx3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So far I have done my Leslie Tone every zone walk DVD twice this week and my goal is to do it twice a week for the whole month of August. I signed up for my second 5K run in November, so I am doing C25K three days a week to train for that. I might add in another Leslie DVD on Saturdays if my weight stays stuck as it has for the last 3 months! Happy to be here!
  • AnnofB
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @zichab, Life gets in the way, doesn't it? We've had a lot of workers at our house lately and it's a challenge for me to get in my workouts. I prefer doing them in the morning, but that doesn't work out a lot of the time. I've had to change up my routine and I'm not good at change, ha-ha. But, I'm getting there. Slowly.

** I just ready your July post. Oh boy! You really had a challenging month! I think you really did great in spite of that.
  • Americanbabydoll
    Americanbabydoll Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    August goal = 155 miles

August 1: 5.22 miles
  • AnnofB
    Options
    For August: 3 strength workouts a week.

8/1....38 minutes of a strength workout, and 21 minutes of Burn to the Beat.
    8/2....34 minutes of 5 Miracles Miles.
  • JoyStoltenburg
    Options
    8/1 Workout #163 building fence 2 hrs. 1.5 miles and lifting fence panels. burned 1,379 calories doing 120 minutes of Yard Work
    8/2 burned 648 calories doing 150 minutes of Carpentry, general Workout # 164 2.5 hours siding house. Way to hot out to be doing that. 98 degrees
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Goal: 3.5 miles/day or 108.5 miles for August!

8/1-WAH 5K with a twist-3.1 miles=3.1 miles total
    -Vivofit tracked 1.4=4.5 miles total
    8/2-WAH iWalk Strong 3 miles=7.5 miles total

2 days in a row! I am almost scared to mention it for fear I will jinx it! :laugh:

@AnnofB -July was one mess after another! Once Dennis had the dental problem, I knew that was not a good sign of the month to come. :wink: Having contractors in the house is such a pain and of course, most of them are men so doing Leslie is not an option!!! :laugh: I have had a general contractor, plumber and an electrician here as well as my DH!!! My heart goes out to you! Meh, First World problems right! :blush:

@INFJx3 -Tone Every Zone is a great DVD to use to bust through a plateau! I suspect it is because it combines strength training with the aerobics so our body is not totally sure what the heck is going on. I also had good luck with Walk it Off in 30. The only difference is that the strength is 30 minutes long and is intense and it is followed the next day with the aerobic walk, also intense. It does a great job restarting a weight loss though. My body gets used to aerobics and will simple stop losing unless I add one of those to the mix.

@Deeder522 -I lost track, but did you ever get your walk group to work? I am curious because we have had no luck in Flint trying to start one.

Walk Strong Everyone! :bigsmile:
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    @Americanbabydoll, Well done in July. That's a great goal for August and you're already adding up the mileage!

@AnnofB, Sometimes breaks are important. You are starting strong toward August's goal.

@knjstolt, Wow, your new job will be a lot of hours, but it seems like it will add a lot of mileage and exercise for you. I'm glad for you that it is not a sedentary job. Let us know how you it is going for you.
    You are rocking building the fence yesterday and today!! Go you! Yep, it is hot for sure in TX. We broke 100 degrees this week.

@szn123hub, welcome to MFP and our LS walking group. I'm proud of you for restarting your walking program after having some of sedentary months. Nice goal.

@INFJx3, welcome to the group! That is awesome that you are training for your second 5K run. Great training plan.

@zichab, I'm happy to see you are back! You sure did have a lot going on in your neck of the woods last month. 5K with a twist is one of my go to walks at times.

@Deeder522, you finished July strong! Excellent goal and plan for August.

My goal for August is to continue to be active in some way at least 5 days a week while adding in other exercises as tolerated while allowing my knee to heal. This is getting me outside a lot more B) to keep up the yard and garden while I'm melting :sweat_smile: .

July 1st: 15 minutes Gazelle, 1 hour in the garden
    July 2nd: 2 hours yard & garden

:flowerforyou:
  • davisagolding
    davisagolding Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I did my intro.. just a quick recap.. 900 minutes this month. I start on August 3rd.

Aug 1- 2 ... 0

Total ..... 0
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Hello Walker Friends! Good to see everyone setting goals and pushing thru even when there are injuries and life situations. We all need to stay strong and look after ourselves!

I've been trying to decide what to set as a goal this month because I will be out of town for a week in late August and I know I won't get in at least 5 miles a day which is where I like to be. So, I think I'm going to dial it back a bit and say 155 miles plus some type of strength training each day. Hopefully I'll go over this goal with bonus miles.

August 1: 5 Mile Advanced Walk + 23 min strength booty builder HASfit
    August 2: 7 miles: 4 Mile Super Challenge + 3 Miles iWalk + all 3 Circuits of Tone Every Zone

12 of 155 miles

@zichab I am enjoying Tone Every Zone because I love the walking in between the strength sessions! It makes it more fun for me as I really don't like strength training at all. I make myself do strength now and use HASfit quite a bit, but I don't look forward to it, it feels like a chore. Leslie always motivates me more than other instructors. I will look into Walk it Off in 30 -Firm 30 as well, thanks for mentioning it!
  • Deeder522
    Deeder522 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    zichab wrote: »
    @Deeder522 -I lost track, but did you ever get your walk group to work? I am curious because we have had no luck in Flint trying to start one.

Not a single walker in 7 weeks. So I decided, with Parks and Recs, to pull that walk. Other locations are still going on but are not have huge groups. It's always a question on location and time. We have walks in 6 different location in the county and a mix or morning and nights and days. Maybe people don't like walking with strangers. This is the pilot year of the program so there are still a lot of bugs to figure out. The program is modeled after a program in Washington state. Hopefully, other walks pick up as we get back to school and we can try again for me. The spring walking program that they do is a huge success and many people who participate in those walks asked about doing walks year long. So far not a lot of those people are showing up.

I'm really bummed, we all tried to make my area work but my area is the farthest out in the county so there may have been less interest. The only other thing I can think of is, there walks are volunteer lead and the Spring Program is lead by Nature Guides.
  • AnnofB
    Options
    @zichab - I lol at "first world problems." ;)

@texasgardnr - Glad you knee is doing better and you are enjoying being in the garden. I injured a knee playing volleyball (many, many years ago) but it's only a vague and rare twinge I get from it now. Credit where it's due, walking with Leslie has kept it from being a real problem.