Leslie Sansone August 2019 Walk Challenge

Options

Replies

• AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Deeder522 wrote: »

Not a single walker in 7 weeks. So I decided, with Parks and Recs, to pull that walk. Other locations are still going on but are not have huge groups. It's always a question on location and time. We have walks in 6 different location in the county and a mix or morning and nights and days. Maybe people don't like walking with strangers. This is the pilot year of the program so there are still a lot of bugs to figure out. The program is modeled after a program in Washington state. Hopefully, other walks pick up as we get back to school and we can try again for me. The spring walking program that they do is a huge success and many people who participate in those walks asked about doing walks year long. So far not a lot of those people are showing up.

I'm really bummed, we all tried to make my area work but my area is the farthest out in the county so there may have been less interest. The only other thing I can think of is, there walks are volunteer lead and the Spring Program is lead by Nature Guides. [/quote]

I'd be bummed too. I was so sure you would find a lot of people ready to walk. I hope the fall walks will draw more people.
  • Americanbabydoll
    Americanbabydoll Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    August goal = 155 miles

August 1: 5.22 miles
    August 2: 5.10 miles

Total so far: 10.32 miles
  • JoyStoltenburg
    JoyStoltenburg Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    GOAL 5 MILES A DAY when no workout
    8/1 Workout #163 building fence 2 hrs. 1.5 miles and lifting fence panels. burned 1,379 calories doing 120 minutes of Yard Work
    8/2 burned 648 calories doing 150 minutes of Carpentry, general Workout # 164 2.5 hours siding house. Way to hot out to be doing that. 98 degrees
    8/3 Workout #165 5 hours siding house. Burned 1,297 calories doing 300 minutes of Carpentry, general
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Goal: 3.5 miles/day or 108.5 miles for August!

8/1-WAH 5K with a twist-3.1 miles=3.1 miles total
    -Vivofit tracked 1.4=4.5 miles total
    8/2-WAH iWalk Strong 3 miles=7.5 miles total
    Vivofit tracked 2.4 miles=9.9 miles total
    8/3-WAP 4 mile Super Challenge=4 miles=13.9 miles total

@texasgardnr -July was a mess! I have learned though that living in a house that is being remodeled with children and grandchildren was one of the dumbest ideas I have ever had. Why I thought that could work well is beyond me. My optimism got the best of me for sure. :wink: : I choose 5K with a Twist when I am unmotivated because I can convince myself that 42 minutes is not a lot of time for 3 miles and it is right there on the Web. No excuses! :laugh:

@VeggieGirlforLife - I am so with you on this, I HATE strength training!!! I do it because I know I HAVE to, but I do not enjoy it. That is why the Walk it Off in 30 gets too intense for me sometimes. It gets on my nerves to just stand/sit/lay there sweating like crazy straining muscles. How is this fun for anyone??? I mean these people who "lift" and "power lift" have my admiration because that bored me stiff when I tried it. I love the way I look and the way my body responds to strength training, but it does not seem to motivate me to enjoy doing it. :noway: Even Tone Every Zone is not my favorite, but I do it because like all things we do not like "it is good for me!" :laugh: I have to get back to it this fall though as water skiing was a bit challenging this summer because I have let strength slide. :grumble:

@AnnofB & @texasgardnr -I also injured my left knee water skiing in my early 30s and it still gives me trouble from time to time. I read that Boomers are the healthiest generation ever produced, but that our biggest problems are knee, hip and back injuries from when we were young. Contrary to how we are now, :smirk: apparently we were very physically active as children and young adults and sustained many injuries that were not diagnosed or that seemed to heal up by themselves, so we paid no attention to them. And how many sit-ups did we do for that Presidents Council on Physical Fitness that we now know were horrible for our backs! :explode: I often feel lucky that so far, it is only my knee that hurts when a storm in coming and not the rest of me as well! :neutral:

@Deeder522 -That is too bad really, but how much of it do you think might be that people are going to the gyms? I live in Grand Blanc and we used to be able to get people to walk 5Ks, but now, unless it is a run, we only get 1 or 2 people. Meanwhile, 3 new gyms have opened including Planet Fitness and their parking lot is full all the time. It seems that as the gyms have proliferated, the 5Ks have gone away. You are accommodating any work schedule that I know of with your mornings, nights and days walks so you should be more successful than you are. I am convinced the gyms have something to do with it and it's frustrating! :angry:

Walk Strong Everyone! :bigsmile:
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @davisagolding, Welcome to August's Walk Challenge. Glad that you found us!

@AnnofB, thanks for your post. I am enjoying finding things to do outside that I would normally put off till the weather is nicer in the fall, but I'm really missing the walks.
    I'm going to continue to add in using the Gazelle next week, and then hopefully start back into Leslie walking.

@knjstolt, you are truly burning more than calories in that Texas heat. Awesome burn indeed!

@zichab, LOL about you choosing 5K with a Twist when you are unmotivated. The truth be told that is exactly when it is my go to walk :laugh: . I'm not sure why it is mine then because I have never thought about it being a shorter walk. But there is something about it that causes me to gravitate to it when I'm totally unmotivated.
    The 4 mile Super Challenge is definitely not for the unmotivated! You are walking super strong! (That is a favorite walk for me when I'm motivated and feelin' strong)

My goal for August is to continue to be active in some way at least 5 days a week while adding in other exercises as tolerated while allowing my knee to heal. This is getting me outside a lot more B) to keep up the yard and garden while I'm melting :sweat_smile: .

August 1: 15 minutes Gazelle, 1 hour in the garden
    August 2: 2 hours yard & garden
    August 3: 1 1/2 hour potting plants, 1 hour+ Home Depot

August 4: Rest Day

:flowerforyou:
  • neyagoal
    neyagoal Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Omg I'm so glad I found this.. Can I join now?
  • Americanbabydoll
    Options
    August goal = 155 miles

August 3: 5.14 miles

Total so far: 15.46 miles
  • Americanbabydoll
    Options
    neyagoal wrote: »

Welcome!
  • JoyStoltenburg
    Options
    8/1 Workout #163 building fence 2 hrs. 1.5 miles and lifting fence panels. burned 1,379 calories doing 120 minutes of Yard Work
    8/2 burned 648 calories doing 150 minutes of Carpentry, general Workout # 164 2.5 hours siding house. Way to hot out to be doing that. 98 degrees
    8/3 Workout #165 5 hours siding house. Burned 1,297 calories doing 300 minutes of Carpentry, general
    8/4 Workout # 166 1st was 1 hr & 20 Mins of grocery shopping and putting everything away. 502 Calories burned. 2nd was 1 hr of helping Kevin outside before it got to hot. 259 Calories burned. Total Calories burned 761.

NEW JOB STARTS TOMORROW MORNING! I will be in training for 3 to 5 days then managing a AAA Storage. My walks at work will include walking the property and cleaning empty spaces and the property. This is where I am hoping to get in 5 miles of walking
  • AnnofB
    Options
    neyagoal wrote: »

Hi neyagoal. Yes you can. :)
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    @zichab It's so nice to know someone else dreads strength as much as I do! :laugh: I don't mind the upper body stuff as much as lower. I truly hate lunges! I don't like squats either, but I'd rather do those. Because I dislike lower body so much, I always do that once first when I use Tone Every Zone. I found myself yelling back at Coach when I was doing strength the other day on HASfit, that's how much I hate doing it. He wouldn't shut up about how great it all was and I just wanted it to be over! :lol:

@knjstolt Good luck with training at your new job! How wonderful to have a job that allows you to get some miles in! I like it!

Aug 3: 7 Miles ~ 5 Miracle Miles + 2 Mile Walking for Weight Loss + 23 min booty builder strength HASfit
    Aug 4: 8 Miles ~ 3 Mile Walk + 5 Mile Advanced + all 3 Circuits of Tone Every Zone

27 of 155 miles

• Americanbabydoll
    Options
    August goal = 155 miles

August 4: 6.25 miles

Total so far: 21.71 miles
  • AnnofB
    edited August 2019
    Options
    For August: 3 strength workouts a week.

8/1....38 minutes of a strength workout, and 21 minutes of Burn to the Beat
    8/2....34 minutes of 5 Miracles Miles
    8/3....30 minutes Yoga For Weight Loss
    8/4....rest day
    8/5....weights 34 minutes and one 20 mile walk Pumped up Pace
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options

Vivofit tracked .7 miles=14.6 iles total
    8/4 Vivofit tracked 2.7 miles=17.3 miles total
    8/5-WAH Heart Healthy Walk-3miles=20.3 miles total

OK, so the next time I say ANYTHING about walking X number of days in a row, remind me of how jinxed I am OK???? :angry: I was cleaning out down stairs, as the plumbers have to move heat pipes, drill holes in joists, solder pipes (read MAKE A MESS) etc and I wanted to make sure to protect everything. As I was hurrying across the room, I tripped over a 2X4 my DH had left on the floor and went sailing through the air and landed on my left knee and left forearm on the floor!! Mid-60s is not a good age to fall I have learned! :laugh: My knee is all black and blue and swollen, but it works fine and my triceps feel like I have done a 5 hour Leslie workout. Of course, all this happened before I had done my work out for the day and my DH felt that I needed to rest everything to be sure there was not a more serious injury that was not visible yet. So, I am calling yesterday a rest day! :wink: Today, I decided to try a 3mile workout without too many really strenuous moves and everything functioned just fine, so I got in 3 miles today. I move at 100 MPH and I have to learn to slow down now as I get older, especially when my house is under construction all the time!! :smirk:

@VeggieGirlforLife I tried HASFit and I just do not like strength training enough to stay with him. I end up watching him and thinking "Gosh he is cute." :blush: I just lose all focus! With Leslie, even though she does many of the same exercises as Coach does, I tend to not get distracted, probably because I am so used to following her.

@neyagoal Welcome and all you need to join in is to walk walk walk!! :sweat_smile:

• Deeder522
    Deeder522 Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    25.25 Miles tracked last week. I've dropped another 1/2 pound and am sitting at 180.0. The goal this week is to break into the 170's and then keep dropping. Also, stay away from fast food. I may need to invest in a shock collar so I stop driving into McD's.

Thanks for all the kind words about my group walks. There is going to be a meeting in September so hopefully, by then we can come up with a few other ideas to get more people interested.
  • JoyStoltenburg
    Options
    8/4 Workout # 166 1st was 1 hr & 20 Mins of grocery shopping and putting everything away. 502 Calories burned. 2nd was 1 hr of helping Kevin outside before it got to hot. 259 Calories burned. Total Calories burned 761.
    8/5 Workout #170 3 Walk off the Pounds miles & 1 Mile working August Miles 13.24 2019 miles 882.59 First day of work was all about learning the computer. So only got 1 mile in at work felt I really needed a workout too. So after dinner jumped right in there.
  • AnnofB
    Options
    zichab wrote: »

Vivofit tracked .7 miles=14.6 iles total
    8/4 Vivofit tracked 2.7 miles=17.3 miles total
    8/5-WAH Heart Healthy Walk-3miles=20.3 miles total

OK, so the next time I say ANYTHING about walking X number of days in a row, remind me of how jinxed I am OK???? :angry: I was cleaning out down stairs, as the plumbers have to move heat pipes, drill holes in joists, solder pipes (read MAKE A MESS) etc and I wanted to make sure to protect everything. As I was hurrying across the room, I tripped over a 2X4 my DH had left on the floor and went sailing through the air and landed on my left knee and left forearm on the floor!! Mid-60s is not a good age to fall I have learned! :laugh: My knee is all black and blue and swollen, but it works fine and my triceps feel like I have done a 5 hour Leslie workout. Of course, all this happened before I had done my work out for the day and my DH felt that I needed to rest everything to be sure there was not a more serious injury that was not visible yet. So, I am calling yesterday a rest day! :wink: Today, I decided to try a 3mile workout without too many really strenuous moves and everything functioned just fine, so I got in 3 miles today. I move at 100 MPH and I have to learn to slow down now as I get older, especially when my house is under construction all the time!! :smirk:

Oh no!! I'm so glad every thing seems to be functioning and you are doing OK.

Maybe texasgardner can add a note of warning to you in the monthly challenge thread in case you forget this incident in the future. ;) Seriously, I'm very glad you are OK.
  • AnnofB
    Options
    Deeder522 wrote: »
    25.25 Miles tracked last week. I've dropped another 1/2 pound and am sitting at 180.0. The goal this week is to break into the 170's and then keep dropping. Also, stay away from fast food. I may need to invest in a shock collar so I stop driving into McD's.

Thanks for all the kind words about my group walks. There is going to be a meeting in September so hopefully, by then we can come up with a few other ideas to get more people interested.

LOL about the shock collar.
  • neyagoal
    neyagoal Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Goal:every week 15 miles with Leslie in addition to my regular workout.
    05.08: 3 miles with leslie
    30 days shred, week 3
    Ripped in 30, week 3
    20 min workout for leg slimming
  • Americanbabydoll
    Options
    August goal = 155 miles

August 4: 6.25 miles