WAISTAWAYS TEAM CHAT - AUGUST 2019

Options

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Perla4686 wrote: »
    I have been stuck in bed all day with an awful stomach bug (with frequent bathroom trips)
    I'm finally feeling a little better but scared to eat now. Any suggestions on what to eat after fasting all day?

Soup. Even just broth, since it has vitamins and stuff. My go-to has always been either the classic chicken noodle out of a can, or I order in pho. That, or something mild like toast.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • Connie7355
    Connie7355 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody, Connie here. I’m from Kansas and am 63 years old. I retired the end of May and have really been enjoying it so far. My husband and I have 6 kids between us (He is my second husband) and we have 16 grandchildren. I lost around 45 lbs a few years ago and then in 2017 I had cervical back surgery, they put me on Gabapentin which made me want to eat everything in sight (and I did!) and I gained back almost 30 lbs. Started trying to lose again last August and so far have lost 35 lbs (51 all together) I have 15 more to go to get to 170 where my doctor would like me to be and then I’ll see if I’d like to go a little bit lighter.
    Wishing everyone a great month and the best of luck!!
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    I have been stuck in bed all day with an awful stomach bug (with frequent bathroom trips)
    I'm finally feeling a little better but scared to eat now. Any suggestions on what to eat after fasting all day?

Soup. Even just broth, since it has vitamins and stuff. My go-to has always been either the classic chicken noodle out of a can, or I order in pho. That, or something mild like toast.

Hope you feel better soon!

That sounds very appealing right now but I don't have any in the house. :/
    So I've had some rice cakes with cottage cheese which I thought would be ok and I might have a cup of tea before bed.
    Thanks fo your good wishes @Terytha
  • Connie7355
    Connie7355 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    @Perla4686 If you have some soda crackers that might be a good choice. Sure hope you feel better soon and have a restful night! Take care!!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,133 Member
    Options

Well, on the up side, it's a guaranteed weight loss (however temporary). An icky one, but sometimes a good "cleaning" bug can be not so bad afterwards. I always include plain yogurt after any kind of stomach bug. Try to avoid sugar and the bloating/fermentation effect...
  • jugar
    Options
    Connie7355 wrote: »
    Hi everybody, Connie here. I’m from Kansas and am 63 years old. I retired the end of May and have really been enjoying it so far. My husband and I have 6 kids between us (He is my second husband) and we have 16 grandchildren. I lost around 45 lbs a few years ago and then in 2017 I had cervical back surgery, they put me on Gabapentin which made me want to eat everything in sight (and I did!) and I gained back almost 30 lbs. Started trying to lose again last August and so far have lost 35 lbs (51 all together) I have 15 more to go to get to 170 where my doctor would like me to be and then I’ll see if I’d like to go a little bit lighter.
    Wishing everyone a great month and the best of luck!!
    I love these stories. Experiencing an injury or other setback and then coming back to really get healthy again is really, really hard, and completely worth it. You have lost 51 pounds already! WOW. As much as the team can help you kick those last 15 to the curb, you can help the team through your example, grit, and experience. Feel free to share what works, and make suggestions whenever one occurs to you! After all, we retired people are supposed to give advice, right??
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Yes I realise it's a guaranteed weight drop but not my preferred way of losing LOL
  • Terytha
    Options
    Gym update: we had our appointment at the gym. The trainer dude was a nice guy who lost over 100 pounds himself and actually switched careers to help other people, so I felt pretty like, comfortable and not judged. They have a circuit of 10 machines that are numbered and he walked us through how to adjust all the seats and stuff and how to keep proper form.

The plan isn't horribly pricey and comes with one free session with a personal trainer every month, they kind of customize your program over time to make sure you're enjoying yourself. So we're gonna give it a shot. Its almost next door to my work so I have no reason not to go for the 45 minutes or so that the basic program takes.

It was 100% less awful than the last few times I tried to go to a gym so I'm feeling optimistic.
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

Hope you feel better soon @Perla4686.
  • jugar
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    Gym update: we had our appointment at the gym. The trainer dude was a nice guy who lost over 100 pounds himself and actually switched careers to help other people, so I felt pretty like, comfortable and not judged. They have a circuit of 10 machines that are numbered and he walked us through how to adjust all the seats and stuff and how to keep proper form.

The plan isn't horribly pricey and comes with one free session with a personal trainer every month, they kind of customize your program over time to make sure you're enjoying yourself. So we're gonna give it a shot. Its almost next door to my work so I have no reason not to go for the 45 minutes or so that the basic program takes.

It was 100% less awful than the last few times I tried to go to a gym so I'm feeling optimistic.

THIS. You are going to really up your game. :)
  • jugar
    Options
    OK Team!

I have some news that is sad but also positive from my co-captain, Barb ( @BMcC9 ). Barb has decided to move in a new direction and has stepped down as co-captain of the team. She will stick with us on the support team to be able to post messages from time to time. She was fantastic at getting discussions going, providing solid information and ideas that really helped the team out, and she stepped in to keep the stats whenever I needed her to. I'll miss her! She also gave us some great laughs - her running gag about her Fitbit, her mini-trampoline exploits, and trying all kinds of intervals and sneaky ways of getting more exercise into her life were really inspiring. Thanks, Barb! Now that you are maintaining and trying out new things, I am sure we all wish you well with all the ways you will discover to keep well, healthy, strong, and fit.

Of course, this means I am hoping that another team member will be interested in stepping up as co-captain. I am happy keeping all the stats on the spreadsheet, pestering everyone to get weigh-ins done, and trying to keep up with all of you. I am retired so I have time to check in often! What I hope a co-captain can do is to keep discussions rolling and interesting, maybe (hopefully!) taking over the steps team weekly reports (somehow I always get delayed on those...), and doing whatever else would fit your skills and interests. If you are willing to consider this, I strongly suggest you go and have a look at the other teams' threads to see the different styles and ideas that happen there, and then feel free to let me know by MFP messaging if you are interested or have questions. We also have room for a Motivator on the team, so if the co-captaincy is not your cup of tea, hopping in as motivator is also possible.

MFP messaging can only work if we are "friends" first. So if we aren't - add me!

I know you are all very busy people, but this does not have to be every single day - it is sometimes great to throw an idea into the chat and see where it goes. So let me know if you're ready to take on a bigger role in the team - thanks!
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,374 Member
    Options
    Hi all - checking in for aug
    Daily logging
  • Terytha
    Options
    @jugar I'm not sure if I'm too new for it, but if I can help I will. It seems like a lot to manage by yourself!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    @Perla4686 I hope you feel better soon!

@Terytha Sounds like that gym could be a good fit, and I love that your trainer has already been through a substantial weight loss so he can relate to others. I hope you enjoy going!

@BMcC9 Good luck in your future endeavors! :)
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options
    @jugar - sorry for my late steps. Here are my numbers for last week.

nq7gk0hp4dfl.jpeg
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options
    Hey team. Hope you are all doing well and still crushing all those goals. I’m sorry I’ve been absent for so long. I’m still checking in and reading you all but have not been the best with commenting and encouraging etc. I will try to do better.

Needless to say that when I go MIA, it’s usually because I am not doing well on my journey. Since I’ve gotten back from holiday, we’ve had a week of guests which came with its own side of over eating and drinking.

BUT, there is one thing I am extremely proud of, I am on my final week of the C25K program. I’ve kept at it despite of the over eating and weight gain I have kept on top of my workouts. This is the first time I will ever complete the program. I think I have started it 6 or 7 times and for the first time I’ve gone all the way. 2 more workouts and I complete the program!!! I will most likely start over once I’m done as I want to improve on speed but I am so incredibly proud of my progress. I love running. Who would have thought I would be a runner. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• jlbtnc
    jlbtnc Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Steps from Sunday: 6330
  • reflectionofme
    reflectionofme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Username: reflectionofme
    Weigh in day: Monday
    PW: 130.1
    CW: 142.2 eek so much water weight!

• evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Hey team. Hope you are all doing well and still crushing all those goals. I’m sorry I’ve been absent for so long. I’m still checking in and reading you all but have not been the best with commenting and encouraging etc. I will try to do better.

Needless to say that when I go MIA, it’s usually because I am not doing well on my journey. Since I’ve gotten back from holiday, we’ve had a week of guests which came with its own side of over eating and drinking.

BUT, there is one thing I am extremely proud of, I am on my final week of the C25K program. I’ve kept at it despite of the over eating and weight gain I have kept on top of my workouts. This is the first time I will ever complete the program. I think I have started it 6 or 7 times and for the first time I’ve gone all the way. 2 more workouts and I complete the program!!! I will most likely start over once I’m done as I want to improve on speed but I am so incredibly proud of my progress. I love running. Who would have thought I would be a runner. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Congrats @mari_moulin! That is so amazing that you're finishing the C25K program. I've only started it once and have refused to delete the app because I want to try again. You have definitely inspired me. As I heard Martin Lawrence say years ago, it's time to stop talkin' about it and be about it! Hats off to ya!!!! :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.