TEAM: The Slimsons (October)

Options

Replies

• Kin59vara
    Kin59vara Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Daily post: Thursday
    Track: yes under ( I was so exhausted after a full day of work and then watching my grandson until his bedtime that I just went to bed rather than have dinner.)
    Calories: under
    Exercise: Daily Burn, 12706
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, it's been a tough week for me. Sunday I had to go to my husband's father's birthday party and going to these events is always soooooo stressful for me. It's a room full of elderly strangers speaking German and even though I've lived here for over 10 years now, I am still extremely uncomfortable in public here. Even when I lived in California I suffered from social anxiety and even going to the store was hard for me. Here it's tenfold. I can only handle the nerves, stress if I drink at these events (parties), so I moved my two hour long run to Sunday so I would be able to drink and not worry about the calories. Well this was a mistake because since doing low carb, I cannot metabolize alcohol properly. I had about 4 glasses of wine between 12pm and 6pm but at 11pm I was even more "drunk" than I had been at 6pm. It was scary, and it's happened before since being low carb. I don't know why I thought this time would be different. Anyway, I don't drink often because of it's after affect on me. I was depressed for days and I'm still trying to get back to feeling normal. So sorry if I'm not active in here right now. The holidays aren't even here yet and I'm already failing. Other than not go to these events, which I really don't want to do because my husband would be disappointed and I do want to be at these events with my kids, what can I do? Should I give myself a limit of 2 glasses of wine for an evening and ask my husband to remind me that the alcohol tends to hit me harder later and that one glass of wine will go a long way? There is no way I can survive these events without some alcohol, so not drinking at all won't be an option.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    vicky2767 wrote: »
    Ok so I made lasagna tonight for dinner. I don’t do keto but I have been trying to eat less carbs. So I made a zucchini lasagna for myself. This is not the first time I’ve made it. It always comes out so watery. Tastes great. But how can I get it less liquidy?

This gives me an idea! Instead of cutting the zucchini in slices, can you maybe shred it? When I've made zucchini bread I always shred the Z, put salt in it, let it sit, then squeeze out all the extra moisture with a cheese cloth or something similar. I know it's not exactly the same as a lasagna, but I think I'm going to try it!
  • satchel2008
    satchel2008 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Daily post Wednesday
    Track yes
    Carbs on track
    Exercise no
  • satchel2008
    Options
    143tobe wrote: »
    Hey guys, it's been a tough week for me. Sunday I had to go to my husband's father's birthday party and going to these events is always soooooo stressful for me. It's a room full of elderly strangers speaking German and even though I've lived here for over 10 years now, I am still extremely uncomfortable in public here. Even when I lived in California I suffered from social anxiety and even going to the store was hard for me. Here it's tenfold. I can only handle the nerves, stress if I drink at these events (parties), so I moved my two hour long run to Sunday so I would be able to drink and not worry about the calories. Well this was a mistake because since doing low carb, I cannot metabolize alcohol properly. I had about 4 glasses of wine between 12pm and 6pm but at 11pm I was even more "drunk" than I had been at 6pm. It was scary, and it's happened before since being low carb. I don't know why I thought this time would be different. Anyway, I don't drink often because of it's after affect on me. I was depressed for days and I'm still trying to get back to feeling normal. So sorry if I'm not active in here right now. The holidays aren't even here yet and I'm already failing. Other than not go to these events, which I really don't want to do because my husband would be disappointed and I do want to be at these events with my kids, what can I do? Should I give myself a limit of 2 glasses of wine for an evening and ask my husband to remind me that the alcohol tends to hit me harder later and that one glass of wine will go a long way? There is no way I can survive these events without some alcohol, so not drinking at all won't be an option.

Im not sure what kind of wine you drink but could you maybe bring your own wine that maybe has a lower alcohol content so you can still have the safe feeling of having a glass in your hand and something to sip on without it hitting you as hard later?
  • karsei01
    karsei01 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Ok so I made lasagna tonight for dinner. I don’t do keto but I have been trying to eat less carbs. So I made a zucchini lasagna for myself. This is not the first time I’ve made it. It always comes out so watery. Tastes great. But how can I get it less liquidy?

This gives me an idea! Instead of cutting the zucchini in slices, can you maybe shred it? When I've made zucchini bread I always shred the Z, put salt in it, let it sit, then squeeze out all the extra moisture with a cheese cloth or something similar. I know it's not exactly the same as a lasagna, but I think I'm going to try it!

The problem is both that it has much water (so salt and squeeze will help, but also that while pasta takes up moist, zucchini will not, so there will always be the problem.
  • AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

@vicky2767 This is the way I do low carb lasagna and it sounds like it wouldn't be good, but it is SOOOO good. I don't follow the sauce part exactly, I reduce it to where it's barely enough to notice and when it comes out of the oven I let it cool for 20-25 mins (and I generally slice it and freeze it in individual portions since there are only 2 of us in my house) and it's much less watery as there isn't any zucchini to add to it because that has water that's also released into the lasagna. And while I know you're not Keto, I look for 1 or 0 carb lunch meat and I've been known to use Turkey which also works well. And for the sauce I use Rao's as it's super low carb, but you can use any if you're not AS concerned about the carb count as I am. Doing the "noodles" this way seems to give it a noodle feel without adding extra water to the lasagna.

The other thing I do that the recipe doesn't suggest is I mix the ricotta, sauce and meats and then spread it over the noodles, makes it easier to reduce the liquid and still spread the ingredients over the lasagna.

https://www.theginghamapron.com/low-carb-no-pasta-lasagna/
  • AB0215
    Options
    Daily Post (Wednesday)

Track: Yes
    Calories: Yes, fasted
    Exercise: Yes 45 mins weight training, 50 mins walking, 30 mins elliptical, 10 mins stair climber.

• vicky2767
    vicky2767 Posts: 2,472 Member
    Options
    AB0215 wrote: »

Keto lasagna is always more liquidy, I don't do zucchini in mine for that reason but maybe using less sauce helps and honestly letting it cool for 20 mins after it comes out can help it firm up some too.

Thanks
  • vicky2767
    Options

I don’t drink that much either. When I do I try to have 1 glass of water for 1 alcoholic beverages. This seems to help me lower the effects later.
    I will say this doing keto and drinking, yes you definitely will see yourself drunk faster. I’ve witnessed this first hand with a friend of mine. I don’t do keto but I’ve been trying less carbs and even I notice I’m drunk faster too. (But I’m also a light weight and don’t drink often lol).
  • vicky2767
    Options

This is worth a try. Would you then later the shreds like you would the zucchini “noodles”?
  • vicky2767
    Options
    karsei01 wrote: »

The problem is both that it has much water (so salt and squeeze will help, but also that while pasta takes up moist, zucchini will not, so there will always be the problem.
    I didn’t think to add salt to the zucchini noodles to help draw out some of the water. I did leave them in paper towel for about an hour to try to help get some moisture out. The hubby thought maybe I need to do that longer. Will try the salt next time.

@vicky2767 This is the way I do low carb lasagna and it sounds like it wouldn't be good, but it is SOOOO good. I don't follow the sauce part exactly, I reduce it to where it's barely enough to notice and when it comes out of the oven I let it cool for 20-25 mins (and I generally slice it and freeze it in individual portions since there are only 2 of us in my house) and it's much less watery as there isn't any zucchini to add to it because that has water that's also released into the lasagna. And while I know you're not Keto, I look for 1 or 0 carb lunch meat and I've been known to use Turkey which also works well. And for the sauce I use Rao's as it's super low carb, but you can use any if you're not AS concerned about the carb count as I am. Doing the "noodles" this way seems to give it a noodle feel without adding extra water to the lasagna.

The other thing I do that the recipe doesn't suggest is I mix the ricotta, sauce and meats and then spread it over the noodles, makes it easier to reduce the liquid and still spread the ingredients over the lasagna.

https://www.theginghamapron.com/low-carb-no-pasta-lasagna/

Thanks
  • dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Daily Post - Friday

Track ✔
    Calories Over
    Exercise no

Kind of fell off the wagon today, which would normally bother me, but I planned a fast day tomorrow, so it should even out. I've noticed that when the weather is bad and I can't walk is when I tend to splurge. But when we have heavy rain, strong winds, and on top of that, a tornado watch, I have to pass on the walk. Which leaves me with too much time on my hands.
  • LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    Happy Halloween everyone.
    Colonoscopy day for me....still groggy.
    I'm keeping last weeks weight as this week because a colon prep....well, apparently poop weighs a lot and we'll leave it at that. It's not fair to anyone, especially myself.
    CW: 158.9
    PW:158.9
  • AB0215
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Daily Post (Thursday)

Calories: Close but not exactly as planned
    Exercise: Yes,, 75 mins weightlifting, 45 mins walking, 10 mins stair climber, 30 mins elliptical, 20 mins stationary bike

Comments: Today I did my measurements and took progress pictures and the differences in the latest pics are subtle, but mostly visible in a smaller midsection, but inches were lost everywhere and it's exciting, seeing numbers that I didn't think were possible and I'm glad I stuck with it and I'm now working towards a flatter stomach which is really the last piece of this puzzle for me, hopefully I can get it done this year, that would be exciting!
    a5eiy7618yfw.jpg
    xztzli5it4zw.png

• dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    dustyspal wrote: »
    Daily Post - Friday
    oops, I mean Thursday
    Track ✔
    Calories Over
    Exercise no

Kind of fell off the wagon today, which would normally bother me, but I planned a fast day tomorrow, so it should even out. I've noticed that when the weather is bad and I can't walk is when I tend to splurge. But when we have heavy rain, strong winds, and on top of that, a tornado watch, I have to pass on the walk. Which leaves me with too much time on my hands.

• satchel2008
    Options
    Daily Post (Thursday)

Exercise: Yes,, 75 mins weightlifting, 45 mins walking, 10 mins stair climber, 30 mins elliptical, 20 mins stationary bike

Comments: Today I did my measurements and took progress pictures and the differences in the latest pics are subtle, but mostly visible in a smaller midsection, but inches were lost everywhere and it's exciting, seeing numbers that I didn't think were possible and I'm glad I stuck with it and I'm now working towards a flatter stomach which is really the last piece of this puzzle for me, hopefully I can get it done this year, that would be exciting!
    a5eiy7618yfw.jpg
    xztzli5it4zw.png

Amazing!!!❤️
  • satchel2008
    Options
    Daily post Thursday
    Track yes
    Carbs on track but little higher due to a miss read on a lable
    Exercise: no
  • satchel2008
    Options
    Satchel2008
    Friday weigh in day
    PW: 236
    CW: 234
    Comments: this week was hard I haven't had my " girly time of month" in 6 months and I did this week and it was a hard one think I would had better results if I hadn't been but either way loss is a loss.
  • vicky2767
    Options
    Daily Post (Thursday)

a5eiy7618yfw.jpg
    xztzli5it4zw.png
    Fabulous. Thank you for sharing
    Satchel2008
    Friday weigh in day
    PW: 236
    CW: 234
    Comments: this week was hard I haven't had my " girly time of month" in 6 months and I did this week and it was a hard one think I would had better results if I hadn't been but either way loss is a loss.

Nice loss
This discussion has been closed.