TEAM: The Slimsons (October)

Options
AB0215
AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
Welcome to the Challenge new and returning teammates!! This is the conversation/weigh in thread for your Team :) Keep on losing because our first weigh ins begin THIS Sunday! I am here for you should you need anything - simply message me or tag me by putting an '@' just before my username (NO SPACES) and I will get to you asap! ~ Ashley @AB0215.

Replies

• AB0215
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hello Team Slimsons and Welcome to October!!

My name is Ashley @AB0215 I will be your captain for this month.

Here's a little about me:
    I am 33, and I have been overweight basically my entire life and in the last 2 years or so, I decided to change that, I have been working towards that goal for the past year. I'm down 100 lbs and I still have a way to go, but I will get there. Let's do this!

Please feel free to introduce yourselves and share your goals for the month, I'd actually like to encourage this as I know that for me it helps me to have some accountability and helps me reach my goals when I share them..and with that in mind, my goal this month is to lose 5 pounds. I've been training for an Olympic Style Weight lifting competition and that was late last year, did okay, now I have some things to work on before my next one!

I'd like to help us be as successful as possible and if I can help in any way, please let me know. Also, if you have any suggestions for the team or fun ideas to spice things up a bit, please feel free to share them, I look for new ways to help engagement and keep people motivated!!

I am committed to this group and to help where I can, and please let me know if I can help in any way!!
    Side note--I follow a Ketogenic diet for any that may be interested, I have tons of recipes and resources for anyone interested.

Welcome to October and let's make things happen this month together!!

Your Captain,
    Ashley (@AB0215)
  • gjaholy33
    gjaholy33 Posts: 2,626 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hello Team Slimsons,

My name is Gloria @gjaholy33, once again I will be your Co-captain which means motivating and keeping track of your weight.

I am 40 years old and still trying to lose 200lbs.

These past few months have been difficult cause as part of my healing process I need to find out with triggers my binge eating so the scale is going topsy turvy with me delving deep into my emotional psyche with my psychologist. So there will be times that I lapse in keeping the team motivated so I just ask that you bare with me as I go through with this healing process. It's tough but sometimes we have to go back before we move forward.

A little more about my history: I have always been obese since the age of 8 weighing 176lbs. Even with parents and doctors putting me on various diets as I child.

Just to encourage those who are struggling with staying on track I have been trying to get healthy since 2010 and it's a constant struggle but I've learn to set short attainable goals in order to succeed. I didn't seriously try to get healthy until I was 22 weighing 576lbs and was successful losing over 225lbs weighing my lowest as an adult 323lbs. Recently I've been disable due to a work injury in 2015 and need to lose weight in order to get better as I am severely obese at 535lbs in August 2018. There are a lot of days which the pain is unbearable along with additional health issues such as asthma and pulmonary hypertension but since I am determine to lose 200lbs I know I have to Stay positive and look forward and not back at what I did yesterday.

I always set goals for myself and this month my goal is to lose 10lbs! Exercise 10-15 minutes every other day.

REMEMBER WE GOT THIS!💪🏽💪🏽
    Glorious Gloria @gjaholy33👍🏾👍🏾❤❤
  • gjaholy33
    Options
    ABOUT THE CHALLENGES & REQUIRED WEIGHT POSTINGS

We are also going to be running (Optional) Mini-challenges again this month: Question of the Week (assuming I can remember to do that) and Daily Posts

First and foremost is that participation in these challenges is optional. It's up to you as to whether you want to try this. If you don't want to participate in these challenges, you don't have to, the choice is yours, but I would like to encourage you to participate as it seems to help keep us on track and thinking about our goals on a daily basis and it's encouraging to see other's successes and struggles so that we realize that we are not alone!!

The Daily Posts Challenge is based on another challenge on MFP called UAC (Ultimate Accountability Challenge). The way UAC works is that the aim is to follow 5 basic rules.

#1. Track EVERYTHING you eat that has calories.
    #2. Stay inside your allocated daily budget.
    #3. Try to do at least 20 minutes of activity a day (anything: walk, run, cycle, swim, gardening, housework, yoga, gym, etc.. As long as it gets you active and off the couch)
    #4. 1 pass day permitted per week (went over calories, could not track, not enough exercise, intentional pass)
    #5. Check in daily (tracking yes/no, calories yes/no, exercise yes/no).

****End of the week. those who have managed to keep to plan for 6 out of 7 days are recognized in the thread as being part of the weekly "Winners Circle".

A side note as there has been a bit of confusion for new members in the past, this is not the same as the official results, which are weight based, this is just another tool to help you reach your weight loss goals.

**REMEMBER**
    You set your own daily budget.
    You choose you own exercise and intensity (no step limit, no exercises you cannot or should not do, 20 mins of gardening counts as much as a 10 mile run, activity is activity, anything that gets you up and moving!).
    Is not weight based (as weight fluctuates day by day).
    Can continue beyond weight loss.

Daily check in keeps you in touch with those doing similar. Longer term weight management is hard to do on your own.

It also has frequent resets (as in a circle each week).

It works on an honor system. Being honest with yourself and others is a key to making things work. Remember, this is a judgement free zone, everyone has good days and bad days, but the way to get to the finish line is by being honest and when we have a bad day, picking ourselves up and carrying on the next day!

Consistency and new habits have been shown the only long term successful way to change weight. We all want the progress made here to last a lifetime.

Your posts should look like this:
    Daily Post (Sunday/Date)

Track: Yes/no
    Calories: Yes/no (were you under)
    Exercise: Yes/no (what type and how long)
    Goals/Day/Comments: (Tell us a brief description about your how your day went or your goals for the day)

The Question of the Week Challenge is a fun participation booster and we will be using it sometimes just as fun and sometimes it can help to foster new ideas for others as we all are different and have different experiences so sharing ideas can help someone else with motivation of freshening up their routine even!! Keep on the lookout for these questions.

Please post your weight on your scheduled weigh in day, as if you miss weigh-ins, you may be eliminated from the challenge and we don't want to see that happen!!

Your posts should look like this:
    Username:
    Week: October Week 1
    PW =(previous weight)
    CW=(current weight)

Please, please setup your posts in that format as it really makes it much easier for us to track your progress for the challenges and the weight loss!!

We'd like to help you be as successful as possible and if we can help in any way, please let us know. Also, if you have any suggestions for the team or fun ideas to spice things up a bit, please feel free to share them, we look for new ways to help engagement and keep people motivated!!

We are committed to this group and to help where we can, and please let us know if we can help in any way!!

Once again Welcome to October Challenge WE CAN DO THIS!!💃🏾💃🏾👍🏾👍🏾💪🏽💪🏽

Your Captain Ashley (@AB0215) &
    Co-captain Gloria (@Gjaholy33)
  • gjaholy33
    edited September 2019
    Options
    ENCOURAGEMENT TO OUR NEW & OLD MEMBERS THAT IT IS NOT JUST ABOUT THE SCALE. . .
    NON-SCALE VICTORIES (NSV's)

🎉CELEBRATING SEPTEMBER MEMBER'S NSV's🎉

@o0kody0o on Sept 4th
    🥳🌟NSV🌟

Today I bought a pair of jeans with a waist of 28 inches and they fit me! They were on sale and I didn’t bother trying them on in the shop, but I thought they would be a pair of jeans that I’d need to put away until I lost a little more weight. I have this thing going on where I seem to see myself as bigger than what I really am. I wonder if that will ever change.

@ver9nika on Sept 6th
    Had two NSVs:

I had binge at dinner, ate way more than I should, but finally could stop myself and ate under my calory goal. This has never ever happened to me before. Usually those binges continue for days. So I'm extremely happy 
    - my husband returned from long business trip, hugged me and said that I've lost weight from waist 

@143tobe on:
    Sept 4
    🌟NSV🌟

I ordered some shapewear from Amazon and it arrived yesterday. I ordered a size medium based on reviewers my same size and weight, and even then feared it would be pretty tight. The shapewear fit like a glove and tucked me in nicely but wasn't tight at all. It's a victory because the last shapewear I purchased was XL and it didn't make me feel sexy at all. This one does!

Sept 6th
    NSV:
    I FINALLY went to bed early last night which enabled me to wake up naturally at 5:30am this morning. I've been struggling to get back to a healthy sleep routine since I returned from my trip back home this summer, so for me this is an epic victory! Hope I can keep it up!

Sept 8th
    🌟NSV🌟
    Due to the loose and sagging skin I had once I reached my (initial) goal weight of 143, I decided to go into maintenance for a few months. Yesterday I noticed that the skin on my inner thighs has noticeably improved. I'm SO happy and I hope it was not an optical illusion! I also hope in time the other parts of my body and skin will tighten up too.

The best NSV amongst this team is those that continue on in this group trying to make strides towards their goals and not giving up! So all you guys that are here for another month; give yourselves a round of applause as it's easier to give up than to keep tunneling through to make you a better and healthier you! LET'S ROCK OUT THIS MONTH! ROOTING FOR YOU ALL OLD AND NEW MEMBERS!

wxovbhq2a8mv.png

Looking forward to This month Challenge and reading everyone's NSV's so don't forget to post YOUR AMAZING CHANGES!❤❤
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,632 Member
    Options
    Hi team! I'm new to the challenge, but not new to MFP. I like the idea of having a team to help encourage me and keep me focused, so I'm glad to be here.

I'm 33, mum to a 9-month old baby boy who is my absolute world, and have struggled with my weight my entire life. I remember being bullied at school about my weight, and I've tried every fad over the years but I'm now the heaviest I've ever been. I have PCOS with insulin resistance, and had to do IVF to have my baby as my hormones just don't work the way they should. PCOS is a very big hurdle when it comes to weight loss or maintenance, so I'm just trying to learn about my body and what works for me.

One thing I have learned about myself in all my years of attempting to lose weight is that I have a tendency to jump in and do all the things, which burns me out quickly and means I give up before I start seeing any results. That's something I'm trying hard not to do now. I am setting myself goals that are not based on the scale or tape measure, but absolutely do affect my health. That is my focus now: my health. Weight & size are indicators but they're not the only ones!

My goal for this month is to lose any amount of weight. I don't expect to be the biggest loser, but seeing the scale move in a downward direction would be a great sign that what I'm doing is working.

In the interest of not overdoing it and burning myself out again, I don't think I'll commit to the Daily Posts Challenge. I am a bit of a perfectionist, so I know that once I failed a goal for that week then I'd most likely write off the week so I think I'll stick to my own goals for now. I am looking forward to the weekly questions though, and getting to know you all as we work towards our goals!
  • AB0215
    Options
    Hi team! I'm new to the challenge, but not new to MFP. I like the idea of having a team to help encourage me and keep me focused, so I'm glad to be here.

I'm 33, mum to a 9-month old baby boy who is my absolute world, and have struggled with my weight my entire life. I remember being bullied at school about my weight, and I've tried every fad over the years but I'm now the heaviest I've ever been. I have PCOS with insulin resistance, and had to do IVF to have my baby as my hormones just don't work the way they should. PCOS is a very big hurdle when it comes to weight loss or maintenance, so I'm just trying to learn about my body and what works for me.

One thing I have learned about myself in all my years of attempting to lose weight is that I have a tendency to jump in and do all the things, which burns me out quickly and means I give up before I start seeing any results. That's something I'm trying hard not to do now. I am setting myself goals that are not based on the scale or tape measure, but absolutely do affect my health. That is my focus now: my health. Weight & size are indicators but they're not the only ones!

My goal for this month is to lose any amount of weight. I don't expect to be the biggest loser, but seeing the scale move in a downward direction would be a great sign that what I'm doing is working.

In the interest of not overdoing it and burning myself out again, I don't think I'll commit to the Daily Posts Challenge. I am a bit of a perfectionist, so I know that once I failed a goal for that week then I'd most likely write off the week so I think I'll stick to my own goals for now. I am looking forward to the weekly questions though, and getting to know you all as we work towards our goals!

@TwistedSassette Welcome to the team! It can be a challenge to balance your health with a new baby and congrats! It's important sometimes to focus on improving your health rather than focusing on the scale, the scale is just one indicator of things heading in the right direction, but certainly not the most important and/or even the best, probably just the easiest to measure. I'd suggest keeping a journal, not just for food, but jot down how you're feeling and what you're doing during the process. It can be a really important indicator of how your body is healing, especially if you're not necessarily scale driven. For me, I tend to write down what I'm eating, how hungry I am, whether or not water helps me, or whether or not boredom may be a factor, and how my workouts go and how strong I feel during my workouts and anything else I feel is different, ie, do I have a headache and what may have caused that, is it a change in weather (that tends to affect me) or are my electrolytes low, etc.
    Good luck, feel free to share as much or as little as you'd like, I do encourage the daily posts, it can help to build your healthy habits, but certainly you do know you best and what is best for you, it's your journey, we're just here to share it!
  • susanrbagley1
    susanrbagley1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am Susan @Susanrbagley1. This is my first time joining a community challenge.

I have been using the Myfitnesspal app since February 2017. When I started using the app I had already lost about 20 pounds. Since then I am now down by about 100 pounds. But I still have about 40 more pounds to lose. This last 40 pounds have been tough though. As my weight has been fluctuating back and forth the same few pounds.

My ultimate goal is to lose the final 40 pounds. My goal for October is to lose 3 to 5 pounds.

For the past several months I have been exercising 7 days a week.

With the exception of taking 2 to 3 days off per month. The past week or two there have been a few days a week that I have worked out 2 times a day.
  • AB0215
    Options
    Hello. I am Susan @Susanrbagley1. This is my first time joining a community challenge.

I have been using the Myfitnesspal app since February 2017. When I started using the app I had already lost about 20 pounds. Since then I am now down by about 100 pounds. But I still have about 40 more pounds to lose. This last 40 pounds have been tough though. As my weight has been fluctuating back and forth the same few pounds.

My ultimate goal is to lose the final 40 pounds. My goal for October is to lose 3 to 5 pounds.

For the past several months I have been exercising 7 days a week.

With the exception of taking 2 to 3 days off per month. The past week or two there have been a few days a week that I have worked out 2 times a day.

@susanrbagley1 Welcome Susan! First of all, congrats on your loss! That's amazing, well done! The last little bit is hard, and that's the boat I'm currently finding myself in and I relate. You're doing great and you will be there before you know it, consistency is key! You got this!
  • o0kody0o
    o0kody0o Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Hi Slimsons 👋🏻

I’m Avril, 29, from the UK and I’ve been with The Slimsons for many months now. I love being a part of this team as we are all friendly and supportive to one another.

I have a 10 month old baby and it was when I was 3 months postpartum that I knew I needed to lose weight. I was 184lbs, the heaviest I’d ever been, my confidence was gone and I felt terrible about myself. I joined MFP and it was the best thing I’d ever done in terms of losing weight. Through a calorie deficit, making some changes to my diet, daily logging and some exercise, I’ve managed to shed around 45lbs and dropped 2 dress sizes over 7 months. I’m very proud of myself, my confidence is up and I feel so much healthier.

For October I’m going to set small, more attainable goals for myself. I’m looking forward to supporting you all 💕

🌟Starting Weight Feb 2019: 184lbs
    🌟Current Weight: 138.6lbs
    🌟Ultimate Goal Weight: 128lbs

💟Goals for October💟

▪️Lose 4lbs
    ▪️Go for a walk at least twice a week
    ▪️Use my exercise bike for at least 15 minutes, 3 times a week
    ▪️I won’t allow myself to eat any chocolate for the whole month. (Chocolate is becoming a problem for me)
    ▪️Continue to do my Daily Posts and include in them whether I’ve eaten chocolate or not. I will be completely honest with myself and the team.

🔥Lets do this!🔥

• Kin59vara
    Kin59vara Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hi Simsons,
    I have been part of this amazing team for several months now. This month @AB0215 I will be traveling to Ireland for ten days so I will be missing from the team from Oct 10 to Oct 20. Oct 21 is my birthday so October is going to be a great month!

Goals for October:
    -Steps at least meet Fitbit goals
    -Post when I am home as it helps me reflect on my day

Welcome, all newcomers!
  • dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Happy October. 🎃🍁🌔 Hope everyone is doing well. October will mark my third month I have been with this super group of "losers" (spoken with the utmost affection) In that time, I have lost approximately 40 pounds and I hope never to find them again. I absolutely love October. It is, by far, my favorite month of the year! The weather, the falling leaves, crisp cool air, and oh so many get-togethers!! The only thing I don't like is losing daylight, but if it also means losing weight, I'll take it.

My goals for this month include continued daily track and posting. I also would like to lose 15# and pull some of my autumn clothes out from the nether-regions of my closet. Some things I haven't been able to fit into for quite some time, so it will be like shopping for a new wardrobe without spending a dime!

I feel it's going to be a great month, so let's get this started. Happy "Fall"ing everyone!
  • dustyspal
    Options
    Daily Post - Saturday

Track ✔
    Calories ✔
    Exercise ✔

Great walk this morning!! I kept up a good place and before I knew it, I had walked 4 1/2 miles. Then it was the dogs turn. Just a good day! Hoping for many more.
  • LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I am excited to join this group! I need the accountability badly.

I have been on MFP forever (going on 10 years)!! And lost all my weight using tracking and learning exercise. Unfortunately, I gained about 25 pounds back about 3 years ago and they won't budge. I am stuck. Literally. I creep up a couple of pounds, drop a pound and it's wearing on me.

I have little true support and accountability here besides my husband. My running and bike partner cancels at least 50-75% of the time and my motivation is zip.

I KNOW what I need to do; I've done it before. I just need to get out of my slump, but I obviously need help getting there.

I'm an ER director in north central Texas and have 4 kids, 22, 21, 19 and 15. I turn 43 in October.

My goal for October is 8 pounds.
    I'm at 163.4 presently and it makes me sad. At 5'1, every pound makes a difference.

I love the posts so far and how I'm not the only one. I look forward to this challenge!
  • dustyspal
    Options
    @LadyRN76 welcome. This is a great group of folks and I think you came to the right place. I'm sure you will find the motivation and accountability you've been looking for. Hope to hear from you often. Good luck.
  • Kin59vara
    Options
    Weigh-in
    Username: Kin59vara
    PW =164.1
    CW=164.9

:'( YUCK! I did good all week and then weigh-in I am up! My calories were good and I met my step goals. I think I need to adjust my steps up.
  • Kin59vara
    Options
    Daily Track: Sunday
    Track: Yes
    Calories: Yes: a little under
    Exercise: Daily Burn, 12332
    Goals/Day/Comments: I may need to up my exercise as weight is up!
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,632 Member
    Options
    Weigh in
    Username: TwistedSassette
    PW: 298.0
    CW: 298.0

No movement this week, which I’m not that surprised about since my nutrition was awful. But on the plus side, I did do 3 workouts so that was an improvement!
    Feeling motivated to start this new month 💪🏼
  • AB0215
    Options
    Welcome to October!! Let's do this!
  • AB0215
    Options
    Daily Post (Sunday)

Calories: Yes
    Exercise: Yes 60 mins walking
  • o0kody0o
    o0kody0o Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    🌟Daily Post: Sunday, 29 September

Calories: Under (IF day, managed to keep it to just under 600 calories)
    ☹️Exercise: None today
    💬Comments: Feeling quite excited about my weigh-in tomorrow (later) A couple of days ago I was 138.6 so if I’m that weight tomorrow I’ll be really happy! Here’s hoping 🤞🏻
This discussion has been closed.